Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Hey guys I asked this question over in the Martial Arts thread but am hoping maybe Ill find an answer here: Is there a name for the submission whereby I grab my opponent's foot and drive my elbow into their shin? (Its a sure tap from the pain) Typically done if someone takes my back but they done have their hooks in quite properly. I was shown this move from one of the FPJJ black belts who came up to visit from Sao Paulo. I know its kind of a dick move, but so are wrist locks. I managed to use it this morning and was playing around with the timing for catching it but I have no idea the name for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

New to the thread (thanks JaySB for pointing me here). Thought I would introduce myself. Blue Belt training out SDBJJ in San Marcos, CA.

Unfunny Poster posted:

From my limited Korean, they dont allow leg stuff at all at this gym (including kneebars which my last gym back in the US were cool with even for white belts). I don't even see it at the higher up guys.

From the US perspective I think that most of everything is now allowed (at least to be learned) starting at the blue belt level.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

I've never seen anyone use this and I'm a blackbelt that has been doing BJJ for 12 years at one of the biggest gyms in the U.S. I have a hard time imagining tapping from this.

When that blackbelt performed it on me, I literally could only take a couple seconds of the pain. Its really, really bad. Ill keep trying to find a video of it, its got to exist somewhere.

edit: Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSSx8QeYh3g

I know, kind of a dick move, but holy poo poo is it effective.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 13, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Wangsbig posted:

this looks really stupid and a good way to get neck cranked by your now annoyed training partner

Kind of like a wristlock!

Here is a video that goes into it a little more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVhJRHQDsyE&t=82s

Interesting because he shows a way to block someone from choking from the back while going for this.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 13, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Guess I'll be trying this out tomorrow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kas2W3GmyE

When does his dvd series drop on BJJ Fanatics? You know that poo poo is going to sell fast.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Sometimes you just get caught. I've gotten brown and black belts with some leg attacks and I've snuck a d'arce from bottom side on a couple guys as well.

I caught one of our black belts in a straight ankle lock a few weeks back and he looked totally surprised. He was cool about it though. We had a little talk about switching from the body to the legs after that.

I dont think you should have to worry if you catch an upper belt in something as long as there are no egos.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

That move has been talked about already but I had to post cus I trained with Paulo and Adam down there at SDBJJ for a long time 7 or 8 years ago, back when Adam was a blue belt. It's always funny when Paulo brings those Sao Paulo black belts to show stuff cus while they're legit black belts they sometimes show "tough guy" moves that would only really work on untrained beginners. Almost like it's self-defense stuff, nothing that you could use in competition. That sounds like one of those tough guy moves... Kinda fun to know but ultimately useless since an untrained beginner shouldn't be taking your back in the first place.

I was just curious if there was a name for this move ever since Stefano showed it to me :D I dont think I would use it in competition either.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

What it be weird to ask everyone here what belt they are? I don’t want to turn it into a dick waving contest or anything, honestly. I’m just curious.

I’ll start — I’m a brown belt.

Blue Belt.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I live in arguably one of the best cities in the country for jiu jitsu.

San Diego would like to have a word with you ;)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Question for you guys: What functional movements do you incorporate into your warmups that loosen up your lower back, or help strengthen your lower back?

My back was sore as poo poo this morning and I could barely roll.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Good stuff. Thanks.

I had a disc slip a few years back and I do NOT want to go down that road again.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Holy poo poo. How does this practically work? Is it like an 80s action movie where you can't breathe at all?

Guillotine??

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

Coach told me to show up on a particular day (when his coach is going to be in town teaching a seminar), tole me to make sure i'm wearing a gi, then asked what size my belt is, and when I got my blue belt.

Unless I'm getting trolled super hard, all signs point to "BELT PROMOTION DAY."

We do Promotion letters so you know the exact day you are getting your new belt. I know when I got that letter in hand it was a good feeling.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

quidditch it and quit it posted:

That’s literally the first time I’ve heard of that, what team are with if you don’t mind me asking?

San Diego Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in San Marcos CA.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The Tatami NoGi rash guards are pretty awesome IMO. A lot of rash guards have kind of a thin material, but the Tatami just feel like they are built to last.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

district of thizz posted:

The Danaher leg lock instructional became available about an hour or so ago: https://bjjfanatics.com/products/leglocks-enter-the-system-by-john-danaher?variant=8165889507426

197 for digital and 227 for digital + DVD.

$197! BjjFanatics dvds are usually around $80 and thats for the ones that aren't on sale.

Danaher is going to make a fortune.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It’s 8 hours long,

I didnt know that. Thats actually pretty reasonable then! But yep, add it to the wishlist :D

edit: Actually its 10 hours, so hell yes its reasonable.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 8, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Eddie Bravo cranks out those Mastering the System videos regularly and the quality of those is fine (look into it). It's not hard.

Those are actually a pretty good deal.

There is a section called "Nibiru Warriors" on the Rubber Guard series. I wonder wtf thats all about.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

And yet when you hear him talk about anything not BJJ you'd think he's one bad month from homeless or the asylum.

Im convinced some of it is an act.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

But from what I have seen of John I truly appreciate his eloquence and analytical approach.

This. If anything else the guy is totally understandable even to stupid people like me that have to have watch things three times. With him its usually just once.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sure does feel good when you have been working on a concept for a while and then one day you consistently nail it during sparring. I have been struggling with deep half but I think I finally "get it" you dont even think about it, you just do it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Lost my belt yesterday. :argh: I didn't pack it back into my bag when leaving class. I think I accidentally dropped it into the laundry service bin with my gi. I'll have to wait until next week to see if it shows up.

You have a laundry service for your Gi's? Thats pretty cool.

JaySB posted:

You would know if you have. There's a very fine and quick line between pain and a pop as well.

I dont think it even has to pop to do damage :(

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone in the Jiu Jitsu community and especially some of the older grapplers feel a special kinship with him.

What a loss :(

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Is there an effective way of dealing with turf toe or is it just suck it up and move on?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I wear sambofski to every class and it protects me from turf toe.

Not sure if this is cool in my gym or not. Thanks for recommendation though.

butros posted:

Turf toe sucks and takes forever to heal but I've had pretty good luck with this, it just uses a ton of tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Woe5DZkXFY8

Ill def try this. My turf toe is so bad its bulging out on the side of my right foot and is pretty sore :(

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The takedown potentials with the Russian Tie feel pretty awesome. I feel like I have a lot of control. I hit one this morning during nogi class that was almost like an uchi mata and then turned into a tai otoshi like situation. Usually dont play around with Russian Tie but Im learning to like it.

Any Russian tie takedowns you guys prefer that are maybe a good startoff point?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks for the Russian Tie suggestions guys. I like the Kimura Trap variation a lot.

Neon Belly posted:

Are you describing your opponent baseball bat choking you from the bottom?

The baseball bat choke is worse when you're passing to side control and someone on the bottom hits this on you.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I love the BB bat choke. I was wondering why my bb bat chokes sometimes wouldn't be that effective until one little detail I learned changed it. The arm grabbing the back lapel should be kept straight out; not bent at all.

Its funny how one little change can radically affect a move.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Was it somebody in here who told me that it's possible to just grit your teeth and ignore the "grind elbows into thighs" guard pass? Like there's no actual damage beyond bruising? I love the idea of just blank face staring at people who do it to you and waiting for them to give up.

I'm gonna feel dumb if I try it and I start bleeding internally or something.

Youre instructor will probably tell you there are other more effective ways of passing anyway. Im one of those people that doesnt give a poo poo if you grind your elbows in. I notice white belts are the only ones that do this and they leave themselves vulnerable to a sweep when they pull this.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Kind of specific question but has anyone seen a good video that shows the transition from the cradle to back control? I've just been playing around this concept for a while and I like it ever since I watched an ADCC comp video of Agarzam and Cobrinha going at it and Cobrinha used this quite a few times. I just have problems trying to get control and get my hooks in. I just think I am missing some details...

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It’s not something that’s causing me serious grief, it’s just something that I want to discourage among some of my training partners. Like this one guy got really into can openers for awhile and I hit the same armbar on him five or six times and he never bothered with it after that. I can always wing their elbows outwards to break their posture down, but I never got good at turning that into a submission or anything. I was thinking that the funniest option might be to rest my hands under my head and look bored until they gave up.

I notice when people grind elbows they tend to only do it with one elbow and for a moment their posture is broken and their base is off. That is the perfect time to attack a sweep.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

If 1% of people who start jiu jitsu make it to black belt. 100% of them got injured.

I have've met a brown or a black belt yet that hasnt popped their intercostal cartilage on their rib (which hurts way more than just bruising it).

Its like some sort of rite of passage for it to happen at some point in your jiu jitsu journey.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

I had that happen just a couple months ago! It's really not pleasant. It hurt way worse than actually just breaking a rib without injuring the cartilege around it as much.

I felt like I couldnt breathe. It was horrible, but I lived through it.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

i've got to get that giles dvd.

Same here, and the back control DVD that Lord Danaher is working on. My back control absolutely sucks.

Xguard86 posted:

11 years and knock on wood that's been my only real injury. In some ways it was helpful because I only separated it due to some bad habits. The pain helped me improve my body control.

The moment it happened to me I knew I had hosed up big time. Your ribcage should never just taco during a normal roll.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 4, 2018

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

After 2 1/2 years since I started training and probably a good 40% of it injured or not training I finally was promoted to blue belt. However I don't my actual belt till next Tuesday.

Pretty crazy I got it. Best advice is stick with it.

Congratulations!!! Blue belt is a fun belt to really play around and experiment and find what your game is.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone else doing the SoCal NoGi summit this weekend? Starts tomorrow. Keenan Cornelius, Jean Jacques Machado, Eduardo Telles and Vinny Magahales just to name a few that are teaching down in San Diego. Wondering if any goons are in.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

old.flv posted:

I wish there was a better way to track seminars. If feels like it's just word of mouth and facebook.

I found out about this one because I follow Richie Martinez on Instagram.

Honestly, this was one of the best seminars I have ever been to. Through each one of the instructors you kind of got a feel for how they approach their game. Each taught for about 2 hours and the lineup included the Martinez brothers, Eduardo Telles, Keenan Cornelius, Yuri Simoes, Jean Jacques Machado, Vinny Magahales and BenEddy/Jeremiah Vance and Kevin Berberich.

Its been hot as gently caress in San Diego and Jean Jacques taught for 3 hours and dropped knowledge every 20 minutes in 110 degree heat. Its also the session where I feel I got the most out of how I play, plus just general concepts that were reinforced. He basically showed a way to guarantee that you get an Americana from mount if your opponent is defending.

Amazing seminar. Ill definitely go next year too.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

6'2" 250 here. I rolled this morning with someone that is 6'3"~6'4" 250. Most instructors will pair you up evenly to avoid injuries.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There is this blue belt who is like 150 who destroys me every time. He also terrifies me. Dudes nicknamed "smiles" because he goes the entire roll with a slight smile and never changes expression no matter how much exertion he is using. Its like grappling with a PS1 era facial skin.

If you get a nickname in your gym by your professor, it usually means he likes you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah I have discovered the more he makes fun of you the more he likes you. I endeavor to be constantly given poo poo one day.

And you will!

Any of you guys been given a nickname?? I've been nicknamed "The Cobbler" because I like to attack legs given the chance.