Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Dante posted:

The kimura in the picture should actually be a kimura and not an americana, there's no leglocks or compression submissions in the OP either.
The original version I wrote was 100% oriented towards MMA, I'm glad to see that people have expanded on it now that it's being used in the grappling thread too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Thoguh posted:

Two girls qualified for the Iowa Wrestling tournament, the first two ever. Just qualifying is a pretty big deal.
I don't know much about wrestling, but I assume that people wrestle those of all school years, right? The article says the girls are a sophomore and a freshman, so that means that they may be able to duplicate at least getting into the tournament quite a few times. That's cool.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

niethan posted:

If someone trys to RNC you just do this

This is actually possible to do (on someone on your back with hooks in). It almost happened to me when I was just starting out and it is very embarrassing.

shizen posted:

how long does it take where I can actually be somewhat competitive with my partners? These were no gi classes so I'm not sure what level they were but I am pretty sure I was the only true beginner there this week.
Someone on here described this pretty well a while ago. They said that BJJ can be frustrating, especially at the beginning, because you keep going every day and every day you get whooped. That's because you're rolling with guys who come in just like you do and they are learning just as much as you are, so you feel like you don't advance, when in fact you are all advancing together. Some day a new guy is going to walk in that door and you're going to whoop on him and feel like a god - on that day you will know that you have improved.

Also, if you feel you are not learning and are just getting your butt kicked, absolutely talk to your partners. Try practicing a particular position, like starting with them in your guard, or you in their guard. Just go until someone is subbed, or the guard was passed, or someone was swept. At that point talk about what happened, try running it again, learn a counter or don't repeat a mistake. You will feel much more constructive and get more out of it, while still experiencing rolling. Plus, since you're still early on, this will give you a chance to get your breath back. I imagine there are people out there who are not into this idea because they are just there to roll, but you can always switch partners and those guys are pretty few and far between.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

What is the deal with Alexandre Ribeiro and Roger Gracie? It looks like they have fought 8 times, with Roger leading with 5 wins. But Ribeiro has won 3 out of the last 4. Does he seem to have Roger's number now? I ask this from having only looked at results rather than watching fights, I'm curious if Alexandre has much improved or at least has figured Roger out.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

fatherdog posted:

where are you reading that, because I'm pretty sure it's not true
I got it from wikipedia, from Roger's article.

Loss Alexandre Ribeiro Points (4-2) World Jiu-Jitsu Championship (Absolute Division) 2008 Final
Loss Alexandre Ribeiro Points World Jiu-Jitsu Championship (Absolute Division) 2006 Final
Win Alexandre Ribeiro Submission (Triangle) Pan American Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2006 Absolute Final
Loss Alexandre Ribeiro Advantage Pan American Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2006 Weight Final

It's wikipedia though, but reading it was what prompted the question.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

How tall is your typical 125er? I can only imagine them as micro-dudes.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

1st AD posted:

wrestling ruins everything

I actually don't have a problem with the way the class is set up, because it's a beginners class and a lot of people just don't have the experience or the conditioning to really get any benefit out of more open mat time. I think the 15 or so minutes you spend on positional sparring is more than enough for anyone new.
There's a compromise to this. You can still have an open mat, but beginners are asked not to do subs and they are encouraged to continue drilling what they learned in to open mat.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

Chsiev by submission, left kesa gatame, 6:48.

quote:

Magalhaes by submission, hip cradle, 4:00.
I want to see these, mostly because I have no idea how they work.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

I love this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhAS4lCEdMo

Like holy poo poo, that dude is OUT of it. (He turned out OK though)
Look at those legs twitch. Crack a guy on the head hard enough and his brain will misfire for a while.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

CortX is never going to be convinced, I don't know why people bother engaging with him on this stuff. Every time it happens there's a storm of pointless posts.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Don't the Olympics like excitement in their sports? Watching a dude abandon a position to attack the leg is one of the most exciting things in BJJ.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

lovely tuna snatch posted:

A pretty fun video of two guys at my local gym rolling http://vimeo.com/36946859
gently caress your guillotine, I'm just gonna stand on your legs.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Thoguh posted:

A tech fall in the finals is.even more emberasing than a pin I think. The better wrestler can always get caught in a pin. A tech fall, on the other hand, is just pure domination.
Can you expand on this for us non-singlet people? Specifically what a tech fall is and what it signifies.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I hope they treat the Olympics like they did last time, you could stream recorded events as much as you wanted, even the little known ones. I watched a lot of Judo. I even saw a fight that was basically the Judo version of werdum_offers_side_control.gif. I wish I had noted the fighters so I could find it again.
This guy has my unconditional support.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

Hopefully this doesn't count as :filez: since I think it was filmed from the stands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mWQL0ptXDQ

:aaa:
Roger's giant inhale when he reaches top guard again is hilarious. Bucheca seems like a Velazquez type in that he's way fast for his size.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Edited because reading is hard.

Grifter fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 29, 2013

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

I want modern pankration dammit. The only form I can actually imagine ever being accepted in to the Olympics would basically be wrestleboxing. You could have them wear amateur boxing headgear and gloves but also award points for takedowns
Finally, something Frankie Edgar can win in multiple weight classes.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

ch3cooh posted:

It seems like this is slowly morphing into MMA/BJJ's version of Penn State. I wonder if the IBJJF and UFC will step up and ban Lloyd Irvin and anyone competing under his name from competing.
Penn State was an institution protecting one sick person. This is an institution perpetuating a sickness into its leaders. Irvin's is the Catholic church.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Thoguh posted:

NCAA Championships are next Thursday-Saturday (March 21-23) in Des Moines, IA. I can probably write up a preview if nobody else wants to. Anybody else interested?
Please.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

How welcome/commonplace are hobbyists training at reputable bjj gyms? I'm only a few classes in on this program stint but I really enjoy it so far. Taking further classes would depend a lot on finances and scheduling, but would there be any place for someone who just wants to take a class or two a week with no real intent of competing at any point, or would they make up mean nicknames for me and whip me with towels?
Most gyms will have subdivisions, possibly to several levels. I've seen beginners class (for everybody), then advanced class (usually blue belt and north), then a "fight team" that has separate requirements to be in - usually physical fitness and hours of practice. You get to participate at your level.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Does Royler compete at all any more? I'm interested in this Bravo rematch because I always viewed that triangle as kind of a fluke given Royler's sustained success in high level competition, but I'm not sure if there are any recent competitions to give us any idea what kind of condition either guy is in lately.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

It's him. According to the internet he could be a purple belt or he could just be doing general fitness and happened to roll with Galvao for a little while. Like in most things, the internet has no clue what's going on.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

I guess he beat Kitaoka and ended up fighting Kron afterwards, pretty awesome match.

http://bjjfights.com/kron-gracie-vs-gary-tonon-adcc-2013/
The furious armbar no-sell at 4:30 is pretty amazing.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Kekekela posted:

Trim your nails, wash your balls.
On this note, mouthwash isn't de rigeur but definitely be cognizant of what you eat before.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

One more bit of newbie advice, talk to the instructors beforehand if you're really really new, specifically about the warmups. During drilling techniques they will walk you through every little bit of how to do it, but with warmups it's done in a big group so they may just name an exercise and start doing it - it's easier to talk before, you may even get a solo warmup where they walk you through each exercise.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

Good(ish) Gracies:

Rener
Ryron
Tioki
Clark
Kyra
Besides being terrible at MMA, is there a reason Roger isn't on this list?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

MagicCube posted:

I also just read that apparently Lister vs. Barnett is going to be for a title and the winner will face Buchecha at the next event.
Josh is a pretty good grappler and all but even if he manages to beat Lister somehow, I can only see him getting mauled Bucheca.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Sprecherscrow posted:

I believe all of the Rodolfo/Buchecha matches to date were decided by points so it would most likely be a draw. 2/3rds of Metamoris matches at this point have gone the distance. The only finishes at III were in the two total mismatches.
There's an easy way to fix this.

Alternate side control, two minutes each. Can't finish? move to here.

:unsmigghh:

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I don't get Renzo's motive here. With or without striking I can pretty easily see Hughes taking him down and laying on him on his way towards a points win.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

This thread's name should probably change given that there is an actual Metamoris GDT now.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Mardragon posted:

I'm not sure the shoes had any real effect I would say the what looked to be a 60 lbs weight advantage had some effect. Also the fact that Dean isn't nor should he ever be considered a real heavyweight. Him walking around at 220 is more sloth than anything else, he doesn't lift at all so it's not muscle weight.
I have a hard time believing this.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Casual thumbs up owns.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I hope Josh took this fight on the grounds that he thinks he can win with a crazy sub. Secret move, here we come.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Kekekela posted:

So the ref was a little slow in my glorious victory today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rbo5yxRqw0
I see you didn't get yourself any fans.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Works out constantly on little sleep while maintaining insane recovery into 40s, all while possessing drive to work out five days a week around other obligations? You may have missed your calling as a pro athlete.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

If the boxer really had brass knuckles on I'm surprised this fight went into the 4th.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

Yesterday I was in a tournament, won one fight lost the second one. Mainly due to a bad call from the ref, my coach was livid as gently caress lmao.

Weirding out my teammates with my hairy chest was great.
Cool to see you posting on this forum, Mr. Pulver.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I admit to not following much judo, but ipponing a guy by having him fall about a foot feels weak.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Kekekela posted:

blast double...very nice how he keeps his head up all the way through the finish
She should have shouted "This is K1 rules!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

JaySB posted:

I, as a short person, tried to reverse triangle the 260lbs purple belt today. It didn't work and he wet willied me for my efforts.
This guy sounds like he owns.