Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I've recently gotten back into BJJ so I'm rewatching the old instructionals that helped me get to blue belt a million years ago. Jiu Jitsu Revolution owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Hey gang, how do you all make the most out of instructional tapes? Watch all the way through and see what sticks? Watch it technique by technique and try when rolling? Get a partner for drilling? I assume that final one would be the ideal, but outside of that how do you best make instructional content stick with you?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Wangsbig posted:

tbh I feel at this age I cannot absorb and retain a single additional morsel of knowledge and I don't know what to do about it

kind of same :/

I kind of thought my skills would come back faster but I guess my lay off was pretty long. I got my blue belt in 2015, then injured the gently caress out of my ankle in 2016, got depressed as poo poo, trained for a few months in 2017 and then my professor moved and I did no physical activity of any kind until 2019. In January I turned Turbo-Creonte and went to a new academy. Now I'm doing BJJ two mornings a week and lifting 3-4 other mornings per week. I feel like a dork wearing my blue belt because I'm really not blue belt level at this point (not that blue belt level is that fantastic or anything). I'm also weak as poo poo, and fat as poo poo. I just ordered a new gi and belt because I can't properly close and tie my current gear. Feels bad man, but I guess all I can do is keep going, and keep lifting. Shame that nothing can possibly ever be done about my weight but at least I can get strong again maybe.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

(much fatter than you)

I'm 5'10" at 290 lbs so don't be so sure. I don't believe I've ever grappled with someone fatter than me, but I don't live in the US anymore so that may be part of it too.

But otherwise you're right and thank you.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Wangsbig posted:

I've had a lot of lapses in training and know how this feels. give it time, it always comes back and gets better even when it doesn't feel like it will/has. I'd easily own any previous iteration of me right now and that's the metric that really matters

2014-2015 me would laugh and cry at the same time while beating me up. I'll give it time though, like you said.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have like, a legit problem with binge eating. Like, wait till my wife goes out of the house then go to the convenience store at buy $20 worth of chips candy and eat it all in one sitting in the dark in secret. I started BJJ at 220, and got up to 265 before I stopped, because I was eating like that at least 3 days per week. It's why I'm seriously overweight and also seriously in debt. Like easily 5k calories in a single sitting, and

I did recently start doing something else for this psychologically and it has seemed to help, I haven't had a binge like that in a few weeks. I'm still over eating but I don't resemble a TLC special anymore. I think the only reason I'm not 400 lbs plus is because of the mat time and the time with the iron I put in over the years.

I would get a therapist for this but I'm broke (see above) but I have some self help stuff that's actually helping this time which is a first for me with self help stuff.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He went for a Seoi-Nage, didn't get it, and instead of giving up or reseting, he straight up fell to his knees, grabbed my sleeves with both hands and tugged me over his shoulder with all his strength. I land hard and he drives his weight right into my collar bone. It just pisses me off because there was no reason to go that hard, especially on a botched move.

That is totally a move, though. The weight in the collar bone thing is bad but drop seoi is 100% a thing and it doesn't work without commitment.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This is the problem right here, going again. Judo is stupid and injury prone. Get a half decent double and single leg, you're way ahead and spend the rest of the time doing fun grappling.

I have 3 years of Judo before I ever started doing BJJ.

I pull guard.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

welp, good news is collarbone isnt broken, just a medium level sprain.

Still out six weeks and on a fuckton of motrin :smith:

gently caress :/

Is there like, a coach there to be able to tell the guy to calm down?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, unfortunately he was watching another pair when it happened. I am not sure if its cool to report the guy to the coach without at least talking to the guy first about it, so the coach probablu assumes it was just a bad fall

I think it's extremely good to talk to the coach about it. Coach isn't police and guy doesn't go to judo jail. I wouldn't start with "this motherfucker broke my shoulder" but "hey, I think he's doing the thing where he treats randori like competition, keep your eye out for that"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wanted to ask about that. I hurt myself with Judo and a couple of people mentioned adding Judo to your stand up game isn't really worth the injury risk. What do you guys think? Is Judo worth sticking with once a week or is too much risk without enough benefit?

It really depends if you enjoy it. I think I'll probably never do Judo again but I'd never tell someone who had fun with it that it's not worth it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is there any magic bullet that will improve my hip movement? I guess "go to class more" but outside of that, what can I do to make my hips not be so lovely? I've always been fat, but when I was training before I was fat and at least kind of mobile. Now I hipscape and it's a very small scape. Want that big scape back.

People here tend to put hip escape together as one word does that happen in the US too?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ask your girlfriend to help

Good idea... but what will my wife think?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yoga for bjj

uuuugggh I hate yoga though. But I guess this is the only option. Do you think regular yoga is good enough or do I need to pay for special BJJ yoga?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be serious, if you dislike the idea of yoga, do explicit big 5 power lifting.

Power lifters are actually crazy flexible and it also did wonders for me as a guy who is also man sized

I am doing lifting again. I'm not going heavy with squats due to my ankle being a joke and having no safe way to bail in my gym. But I am going as heavy as I can with DLs (which is not v heavy anymore lmao) and doing deep goblet squats as an accessory move.

So presumably the big 3 would be the comp lifts, and then the next one after that would be I'm guessing the (shoulder) press... what would be number five of the big 5?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm gonna listen to Mel on this one, partly because it echos my experience as a younger man, and partly because it's what I wanted to hear.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100604/resistance-training-improves-flexibility-too

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dave Grool posted:

just lol if you didn’t go back to school in your 30s to pursue your dreams and are broke and have no time for a regular grappling routine

Just lol if you still have dreams in your 30s at all.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dave Grool posted:

"a series of rationalizations about what I'm willing to settle for career-wise" takes too long to type

Fair.

I did a free trial to roydean.tv, I wanted to check out bluebelt requirements 2.0. There's a few additional techniques in the 2.0 set that weren't in the original, and a few he took away. I realized that I do need instructionals, but JJ Revolution was probably too advanced for me right now because I'm really trying to get back to fresh blueberry level. I can ripen the blueberry once I've gotten my basic positional escapes and guard passes feeling good again.

One thing he added in the 2.0 was some open guard passing concepts that have been immediately useful for me. The gaps between trying to remember what I'm supposed to do and actually remembering what I'm supposed to do and then actually doing it are getting a bit smaller with more practice and more repeat viewings of the escape techniques.

I guess I'm feeling good today because a white belt came into the class and it's the first time since I've been back that I've been able to roll with a white belt. In the morning class I go to it's been all blue and above, and none of them with the kind of training gap I had. So, sharp blues, competitive purples, no browns for some reason, and two black belts. Of course I'm going to have trouble with getting basic stuff done. If my escape is too slow, the guys who know what they are doing and are in good practice are just going to retake the space as I create it. But rolling with someone I can escape at will or pass at will is a reminder that hey, I know a little bit anyways.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Blueberry?

Blue belt. Next flavor is grape but that's some time from now.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If we're sticking with flavors, chocolate is the most obvious.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I actually like licorice a lot lmao. But you know if we're sticking with fruit it can be blackberry as well.

I haven't really thought about the whole food thing that much. I remember asking on some BJJ chat about going back to training when I got my blue in 2015 and then basically did no training at all after early 2017. And someone said "don't worry, you're still a blueberry" and I just decided I liked that.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Seems like big wrestler guy was in your gym just to beat people up. You did the right thing (teach him a lesson) in the wrong way (not respecting a tap). Your professor really should have intervened earlier, especially if he's slamming white belts with high velocity throws.

Did you let the pressure off a bit when he tapped? Was your top game really heavy? I think depending on the nuance here, there would be ways of handling this that look similar to what you did, to be honest. Not respecting a tap is an extremely dangerous game to play but obviously you weren't cranking an armbar or choke at the time.

Truth is I wouldn't feel too embarrassed or upset. Treat it as a learning opportunity for how to deal with this sort of thing in the future.

I want to tap from bottom a lot because I'm a big fat rear end. "no man, I eat candy so I'm tired."

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm irrationally terrified of leglocks and I wish there was a way for me to progress in jiu jitsu without learning them.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah, I've not seen a lot of leg lock game even among the higher belts in my gym, but I only go to the gi classes right now. Our blackbelt coach is a worlds silver medalist, and I think I saw him and one of the other blackbelts doing some leg lock stuff but pretty minimal. Although, at that level there's a lot of stuff going on I'm not even able to fully perceive.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I'm a tax preparer and I haven't gone to BJJ class in two weeks, because I'm on like consecutive 12 hour days. Turns out my school is closed all of next week because I live in a catholic country and it's holy week leading up to easter. So that'll be a three week break.

I'm planning to try to come back doing 5 days a week instead of the two I'm used to. Probably a bad idea but I'm great at bad ideas.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Same, share the points system. I may offer points as well but I'm stingy.

How do you roll light when the other person wants to roll hard? Just accept getting smashed?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Hi neck pain, been a while without you. Glad to have you back.

You doing any specific neck exercises? I've found doing plate extension and flexion has helped my neck pain a lot. Going to get back into that ASAP as well.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

wow.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

spb posted:

I don't think someone should be canceled because they support a particular politician (within reason). Politics is more nuanced than that; you can agree on some things of what a candidate says and disagree on other things they say. I don't understand the political situation in Brazil enough to generalize and say that Bolsonaro, who was democratically elected, is the next coming of Hitler and he's going to gas all the gays. It seems kinda rascist to say that the brown people in Brazil voted wrong and that the white computer programmer in Milwaukee who makes a decent five figgies knows more about the situation in the favelas than the people who live there. But ymmv.

The brown people in Brazil mostly didn't vote for Bolsonaro. Did the brown people in the US vote for Trump? Or is just every person not in the US brown?

https://sxpolitics.org/brazilian-2018-presidential-elections-in-figures/19183

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 17, 2019

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dave Grool posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the politics, but dropping into a thread with "idk poo poo about this but you guys are racist" is just being an rear end in a top hat

ding ding ding.

I mean I do give a poo poo about the politics, but not during gym time. We don't talk about it. It helps that I'm a foreigner and the boring technocrat won the last election in this country.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Subbed someone in no-gi with a fist choke last night and they complained that it was a "cheap" technique, which made me enormously proud

Anyone complaining about cheap techniques just needs to learn to defend them. It's a way to minimize your "win" to protect their ego. I know that you know that but it's annoying.

I don't spam Ezekiel from mount. I'm 300 lbs so getting on top and then getting nice and low and just working that in is fairly high percentage. It feels cheap to me so I try not to do it more than once per class. But nobody has ever complained about it being cheap.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

spb posted:

I've been enjoying Submission Escapes by Tom DeBlass, it has helped me a lot (obviously).

Of all the videos I get spammed to me on facebook, this one is the most interesting to me. Glad to hear it's working for you.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

spb posted:

It works for me because I am an idiot white belt, so I find myself in these positions a lot. It's taken me a bit to learn how to get out of an arm bar, since the stacking seems counter intuitive at first glance. But yeah if you are a white belt, I highly recommend.

Blue, but hillariously out of practice. I just watched a few segments on YouTube. As always, even if I had an idea of the basic technique it's great to see details I wasn't thinking of or remembering.

I can do that sort of armbar escape, I can't do the hitchhiker, though. If they have me that extended I just tap.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My gym finally reopened today... but I came down with a nasty cold yesterday evening. gently caress.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Re: Competition: I competed in Judo after about 1.5 years training. Won my first match, lost the next one then lost two straight at the next tournament. I eventually switched to BJJ and did a comp about 4 months after starting, but this is with a few years of Judo behind me. I won my first match, then lost the next one and lost two straight at the next tournament. Being in a small market and weighing over 220 lbs I'm encouraged to compete because just showing up means there's a good chance I'll get a bronze even if I lose, and that helps the school's medal count.

Re: Worm and other gi guards: Probably shouldn't learn as a white belt because you're still learning basic self defense, but once you're in the advanced belts does it really matter? I mean, if you're a purple or brown belt and you want to learn worm guard, it doesn't mean that if you get in a self defense situation you're suddenly going to forget your basics.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

I can fight someone equally fat, or I can fight someone built like a Grecian deity.

I had this fear too. I've been to four competitions, two judo comps in the US and two BJJ comps in Costa Rica where I live now. If there are enough participants to have an over 100kg division, you're likely to get fellow fatties.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Finally got a chance to train again. It's been probably a month or more. I took the first two weeks of April off because of tax season, then the next week was holy week (in LatAm they take most of the week before Easter off. At least in Costa Rica, but I think it's a thing in LatAm in general). Then the week after that was... I dunno. Holiday hangover? Nobody showed up for Tuesday or Wednesday morning classes, and I caught a small cold for the normal Thursday class, which was infuriating.

Now, finally, I got to train and it was a good class. The morning class has shrunk considerably because the black belt that taught it has an insane work project going on, but a few blues and purples are still getting together to keep it going.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Good week so far. I went from a month of no activity so far to:

Monday: Cardio
Tuesday: BJJ
Wednesday: Lifting
Thursday: BJJ

Plan for the rest of the week is to do BJJ on Saturday and try out Judo again on Sunday.

e: Judo club responded to me, closed this Sunday for tournament, will check it out next weekend.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 2, 2019

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is that legit? Funny story too.

Edit: Watching some rolling videos, he hits it for real. It seems like it's not real because the story is so funny. Seems like some people call this the ninja choke as well, unless there's a difference I'm not seeing. Edit2: Actually there appear to be several different things called a ninja choke lol.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I don't think I'm likely to compete at an outside tournament ever again. If I get my fitness together I'm happy to do internal tournaments (competition among my home academy and the local affiliiates under the same system). In my country there are three main black belts with several affiliates. There are a few other schools with black belt instructors but they are either affiliates of huge teams (Gracie Barra or whatever) or just one off academies.

I used to be with another team, and I did one external tournament and one internal tournament both at white belt. I've switched teams (simply due to morning class availability and academy location) but I'm in another team with local affiliates and I believe they do internals as well.