Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Save Russian Jews posted:

I'm 24, a college sophomore, and ~175-180 pounds. I can bench press my weight, with maybe a few pounds tacked on. I have weird-rear end GSP legs and can squat like 375 or so regularly. Never tested my max, but I'd probably be able to hit 400.

Anyway, I 'm considering switching schools, and the new one has a Div 1-AAA wrestling team. I want motivation to get in shape (having a kid has tacked roughly 20 pounds onto me), and wrestling looks interesting.

I have minimal BJJ experience and somewhat extensive combatives experience within the Army. My only experience with wrestling is back suplexing the only kid my weight (some 115 lb nerd) in high school from the side position and pinning him.

What is the best way to not embarrass myself. Feel free to ask anything you need to determine why I should not attempt this, ever.

edit: after some reading, apparently squatting that much is a good thing. I was not aware. This is my level of knowledge regarding gym equipment and weight things

Why did having a kid cause you to gain weight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

MGinaction.com is an ironic name considering how little Marcelo fought.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

I'm really lucky. I pay $70 per semester and we have a Renzo Gracie Black Belt teaching us. We also use the university wrestling mats.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

So you and Holland Oats are both under Jason.

Yup. CUBJJ people can PM me and I'll tell you who I am (hint: I'm not very good). I'm surprised that Yuns could figure it out just from the price point.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

The nice thing about BJJ is that it has a great built-in teaching mechanism. If you screw up, someone strangles you. And it keeps on happening until you stop screwing up. So even if you're new and you're getting smashed, it's still useful experience. Knowing what subs feel like and what exactly makes them effective is really helpful.

It was pretty cool the other day because I rolled with a new guy who has a wrestling background, just like me. I saw in him pretty much exactly how I was when I first started last year (not keeping my head up, getting caught in guillotines and chokes all the time). Even though I'm still terrible, it was a nice way of seeing how I've progressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

fawker posted:

Guess its time to buy a jockstrap/cup. Got my balls mashed when someone passed my guard. Sucked so much. I hated wearing a cup when I played rugby... made all of my movements feel so uncomfortable. But I guess getting my balls ground into a paste would be more uncomfortable

Also, there was a new student today who was spazzing like crazy. Ive got all these scratches on my arms/neck from this guy from when he would try to escape from the bottom. I hope he never comes back.

I bought a spider guard cup a while ago, it's not the greatest for absolute ball protection but it's by far the most comfortable of the ones I've tried (Nutty Buddy and Shock Doctor).