Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Iceman posted:

Does anyone ever do the inverted/reverse/whatever triangle that Braulio did at the ADCCs a couple years ago? I want to do this but I'm having trouble. I can usually get the triangle but it feels very difficult to finish.

I just had a revelation about this thanks to your picture!

I also struggle to finish it but noticed that his left hand holding his right shin pushes Galvao's arm across into the perfect position for the choke.

Excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
These are all really good answers.

What I've done in the past is look up videos of how to PERFORM a certain move and take notes on what I have to do to AVOID that move.

For example, an instructional may say that to PERFORM an armbar from guard the person on the bottom must bring my arm to the centre of his chest.

I know that to AVOIID it I must keep both of my arms on their respective sides of his body.

That sort of thing.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Yeah this is much easier for me to do than actually sinking an RNC with both arms.

Same here.

I usually underhook the left side and get wrist control and grab my or their shoulder with my right arm to get the choke.

I think a lot of folks feel safe because they know that one of my hands is too busy to cinch up the choke. Too bad for them.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

mobn posted:

I'm having trouble picturing finishing an RNC without using my other hand do drive their head forward into it. Otherwise my arm is long enough that they have too much space for it to be effective. Are you applying pressure with your chest or shoulder to drive it, or are your proportions just perfect to get the right amount of squeeze just grabbing your shoulder with the one arm?

I just had a play with it then.

Assuming the right hand is choking, I'll grab either their shoulder or mine, depending on how big they are.

The grip on the shoulder becomes a fulcrum. I sort of drop my right elbow a tiny bit and pull back my right shoulder at the same time as pushing out my chest.

I might be pushing their head forward with my head too. I can't remember exactly.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone found video of Gomi's win in the ADCC trials?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
In this video from the Ultimate Absolute, can anyone tell me the name of the move at 9.30?

It's the one where Rustam has a north/south control when Galvao is turtled. Rustam sort of does a sit out and spins Galvao at the same time.

Also, Galvao looks like 50 cent.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Oh, I train with Fiona Muxlow. She's in the 60+ women's division.

It's only just hit home that she's in ADCC now that I've seen her name in the brackets.

I predict she'll either armbar someone or get rear naked choked.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Subparr posted:

Sorry for the huge derail.

Don't be sorry, you're talking about grappling in the grappling thread.

We have Robert Drysdale teaching a week of classes at our gym in a month or so.

To think this dude would ever come to my small city (Townsville, Queensland, Australia) is insane.

Has anyone taken a class from him or been to a seminar?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

the periodic fable posted:

is your team affiliated with any larger organisations? that might be why they've managed to get such a big name.

Yeah, our club is with The Arena MMA. Not sure but I think that's Drysdale's team(?)

I get the reasons why he's coming here it's just that I would never have thought we'd get an opportunity like this.

We don't even have a brown belt in the whole city.

Neurosis, how was the seminar? Was it gi or no-gi? What was covered?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Grab Your Foot! posted:

This I like very much.

That is so cool.

In your experience is it a high percenta...I mean do you pull it off often?

Do you intentionally let your opponent pass or is it a reaction to a pass?

A year or so ago I started doing nothing but look for the kimura. It's everywhere!

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Grab Your Foot! posted:

... most of my game is built around getting to the back so it fits into my game really well.

That's basically all I do now too. This'll fit in really well.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

fatherdog posted:

Got the DVD set for ADCC 2011, watching the 65kg division right now. I guess everybody's been studying tape of the MEndes brothers; berimbolo sweeps are the new hotness. And Jeff Glover has apparently decided he's Imanari now.

How is the production?

Is it worth the purchase price?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sure this topic has come before but anyway, I asked Robert Drysdale about the crush vs choke and whether there's a secret to doing a proper choke.

He said that 90% of time it's gonna be a crush.

He also said that he doesn't care, as long as he gets the tap.

I seem to remember someone on here posted about some other big name (Galvao?) who also said it's usually a crush.

I wonder if it's dependent on arm size/type as to whether it's easily done.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Can anyone name the move that Chael does at :51 in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhI1t6PvXUg

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Hey grapple folks, if anyone saw the Ebersole fight from the last UFC there is this thing he did a couple of times early on that I'm trying to find out about.

He does it after the first striking exchange in the first round, at 4:52 on the clock.

It's like he's trying to slap his opponents lead knee with his right hand and at the same time he's sort of pushing the upper body with his left hand. It's a take down of some sort.

Any ideas?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

1st AD posted:

I don't remember the fight but it sounds like a knee tap. Here's Cruz showing a striking setup into a knee tap: http://www.sherdog.com/mma-techniques/Technique-of-the-Week-23-Knee-Tap-28695

Rad. Thanks bros.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

fatherdog posted:

For there to be better refs, there either need to be more competent people willing to spend 12-16 hours on a Saturday doing a boring and largely thankless job for very little money, or the organizations need to pay them better so there are more competent people willing to spend 12-16 hours on a Saturday doing a boring and largely thankless job for slightly more money.

On this note, thank your ref after each match if you're not already doing it.

They seem to get a lot of negative feedback (deserved or not) and not enough positive.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

KingColliwog posted:

are you hugging the guy tight? Because you shouldn't be.

This is not something I'd thought of before and I think it'll help me out.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn't sweep someone onto concrete. Even in a competition.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

This could be the funnest jiu jitsu possible.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
When you're on bottom side control what are you doing with your hips?

Are you just laying there?

Recently I've been pressing off the ball of my foot farthest from them so I'm constantly applying a bit of hip pressure into them. I can't believe I haven't done this sooner. The increase in sensitivity for what your opponent is doing is insane.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Do you use the knee shield much? What are your favourite things to do with it?

At the moment I've been going into the Lucas Leite style sweep. It's almost embarrassingly easy sometimes but I guess people will click on eventually.

And there's a cool loop choke from it with the push of a knee.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

...because I rely on the Leite-hook too much.

This was my concern but oh god it is fun to put people on their back.

I'll look into DeBlass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
One of my gi tops is about 10 years old and has seen a lot of use. I was given it 2 years ago.

It was just yesterday that I decided I won't wear it (or any other second hand gi) again because it's just so loving disgusting.

I wouldn't wear an old t-shirt that someone didn't need anymore. Nor a pair of shorts.

So why would I wear something that's soaked up more sweat (mine, the previous owner's, and the many hundreds of people's that have been rolled with) than most other pieces of clothing in existence? The answer is: there is no good reason.

The KF Fighter gi top has been retired. It's been a good run.