Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Just started reading this thread, 2 stripe white belt in BJJ in Brisbane, Australia.

For some reason I read about everything else I'm interested in on SA but never thought to find the thread earlier.

I went to seven classes and one open mat this week. I think I'll dial it back next week so my body doesn't break down. Constantly getting tapped but can't get enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Which gym? I'm at Gamebred.

One Purpose BJJ in Salisbury under Professor Roberto Dib Frias

starkebn
May 18, 2004

yeah, I first gave BJJ a try more than 10 years ago under Matt Cooper at Advanced Martial Arts, and he was a purple belt then, and there would have been 5 or so black belts max in Australia. Probably 100+ now.

e: Bob is the #2 ranked adult black belt in Gi in Australia right now, and #30 in the world

starkebn fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 18, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I started there too, actually, shortly after he got brown. Left after I got blue.

I was in his first group of students when he started on his own after Ken Dunstall(?) left. I'll have to go and visit an open mat there some time.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Anyone else at Grappling Industries Brisbane today?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Roberto Dib Frias defeated Anton Minenko after 14 minutes via loop choke in the Grappling Industries Brisbane superfight today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sH12eAHueo

starkebn
May 18, 2004

it's too hot to wear one where I am, I already sweat like a waterfall

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I wore a rash guard under my gi today, it was hotter but bearable.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Seltzer posted:

I dont see how wearing a rash guard under a gi is going to make it that much hotter than it already is to the point where it's unbearable.

I can tell you from experience, it makes a difference

starkebn
May 18, 2004

vaginal facsimile posted:

When does the sore throat feeling go away? Please don't simply say when I get good. Thank you.

When you stop getting guillotined

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I love Faria's accent/enthusiasm mix

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Yeah, it depends on the space. When it's busy it's not practical to start standing with the room we're working with.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

When I talk about starting on knees, it's not literally on the knees ffs, it's just starting on the floor

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I'm glad I roll at the chillest gym around, the only requirement is to not be a dick.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Toreando really doesn't usually have a "sitting on their butt" part does it? But yeah, it's probably what you're thinking of.

https://youtu.be/vF4J4bdagXE

starkebn fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 29, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I've just started taking tumeric / black pepper and ibuprofen. Will try and report back in a few weeks whether it changes anything.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I mean I learned it tonight for the first time and have a hard time wrapping my head round it, is all

you're trying to rotate their shoulder too far in the joint until it hurts, don't focus on the arm

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Newest goal - stop having one arm in, one arm out and getting triangled constantly

starkebn
May 18, 2004

this is for people who know absolutely nothing about Judo, but it might have what you're asking in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfKasoI5yc

starkebn fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 14, 2018

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I agree with Danaher when he was speaking to Rogan, the worst injuries you see are from people attempting to jump guard and only making it halfway. There is the odd heel hook taken too far, but you need to trust the people you roll with aren't trying to hurt you. If they are you need to speak up or go to a gym with a better culture.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Just watched the first three matches of ACB JJ 10 and it is sooo loving good.

https://youtu.be/3FQa3pHbGys

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I need to get better at knowing submissions. I've been doing well getting into full mount but don't know many submissions from it. I tend to do armbars and stuff that blue belts could probably see coming a mile away lol

I've been trying to get a Kimura from there, but my base seems too far forward most of the time, I'll keep working it. A cross collar choke can also be good from mount in the gi.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Dave Grool posted:

closed guard and heel hooks are both banned.

weird decision

starkebn
May 18, 2004

spb posted:

Do you guys do anything for your joints? Been drinking fish oil and collagen shakes. Thinking of meeting with a joint doctor because of gi rolling.

starkebn posted:

I've just started taking tumeric / black pepper and ibuprofen. Will try and report back in a few weeks whether it changes anything.

Don't think I'll be buying more Tumeric, seems to do very little to nothing. The joint pain in my elbows has gone away, but I think that's just due to time more than anything. My fingers are still feeling pain in continuously inventive ways, it seems to change every few days.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Can I also ask for people to wash their belt periodically too? They get grody as well.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

But that's where all my jiu-jitsu powers come from!

I wash mine for the record

What happens when you roll no-gi? :iiam:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

If Fedor can handle being dropped on his head, so can they :colbert:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

If I kept training for 10 years and had black belt level skills I wouldn't care of the belt I wore was white

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I made my professor tap. It was about two days after he got heel hooked by Craig Jones in a match and he was kicking his leg up to my hip to pull guard but his foot got caught in my pants leg.

It still counts :colbert:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

spacetoaster posted:

I'm really new and got rnc a week, or two, ago. Ended up with a giant bruise across my throat. Looked like someone punched me.

The kids thought it was great though.

They might have been too rough, but you also need to learn to tap when you can't escape, not wait for it to hurt.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Quintet 1 was pretty fun

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Seltzer posted:

How much do foam rollers actually help? I have and use one but I can't tell if it's a placebo effect or not.

Foam rollers can be good, but you can also use them incorrectly. This seems like good info.

https://youtu.be/Bq6NcAoQDSk

That whole channel is worth watching

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I think the gauntlet it's pointless hazing, just to get that conversation started. I basically talked my professor out of doing it at his new school.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Fabio Gurgel was one of the first guys to do it, and this is what he thinks:

He expressed his opinion on his blog (translated from Portuguese):

quote:

Perhaps my biggest mistake and that must have cost me hundreds of students was The Gauntlet .

It all started as a joke in my gym at the Federal Club where I began teaching classes alone in 1988, (my master’s gym did not have this custom), I’m not sure where I got this terrible idea but the fact is that I used it for a long time and it has spread in jiu jitsu at a frightening speed, possibly other teachers like me started on their own and maybe as many others I have somehow influenced, to those I ask my sincere apologies, however the fact is that this ritual became part of the jiu-jitsu academy’s environment, the students endured it and even liked it because it seemed like a test like the ones we see in war movies where military barracks prepare their soldiers to face the difficulties that are to come,the students felt worthy of that new belt for having endured that beating that in the end had no purpose.

Time passed and jiu-jitsu academies turned increasingly to the competition and always prioritizing the participation of tough students felt no need to change the promotion party after all being tough was almost a must, and what was a simple beating for a guy accustomed to suffering in jiu jitsu training for competition?

One fine day I had an experience that made me rethink everything in this respect, I had been studying and every day more understanding that we were moving away from what jiu jitsu needed in terms of offering jiu jitsu for everyone and not just for the class but at a promotion party we had the presence of the mother of a student who would be promoted on that day, she was at the beginning all proud probably expecting a glamorous ceremony (alias as it should be) when suddenly the “Gauntlet” was formed , shouts of “Uh he will die” were chanted by all the almost 100 students who were on the mat, and there was the kid going through that insanity, his mother was terrified and told his father that they should report it in a police station! The father was torn between the pride of seeing his son win the situation and conquer the dreamed belt and the one of calming the mother, the son was promoted and his happiness caused that the mother gave up to launching a complaint and only accepted to congratulate the son, but that for me was the straw and the proof that something very wrong was happening and that it was necessary to change.

Never again did I allow this to happen in my gym, but now the test is not resistance but technical, the belt exams have taken the place of the gauntlet and the result is arguably better, my students are submitted to a fair test and which confronts them with what really matters if my school is managing to teach them a good jiu-jitsu.

This change has not happened in isolation and therefore I can not attribute the growth of my academy to her alone, I have already told you about some changes that I have implemented in my school and that all together produce the result I have today, but I have a certainty, the gauntlet should be abolished from all jiu-jitsu schools in the world.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

How many people who enjoy the gauntlet are former military, boarding school or frat boys?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv9xpZhUUpU&t=58s
Batista on his purple belt gauntlet

Because they are used to hazing.

this is way better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEySUuAYNGw

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Whether or not it's opt-out, the peer pressure will be there for people to do it.

I don't think anybody cares if you have no problem with it personally, do what you want, but it seems really stupid to pretend it's a great tradition that must be done or you're some sort of too sensitive girly man. It's only been done for 30 years at most, and I'd be surprised if any Gracies or Machados do it in their gyms.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

it is really stupid, but nobody here is saying that.

Okay, I'm probably holding some baggage from Facebook threads about the same thing

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Craig Jones is queued up for this

http://boasuper8.com

I don't expect the competition to give him much trouble, but I guess you never know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Don't you know every social interaction has the same level of aggression? You fool, you absolute imbecile.