Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I meant that they do not use the Gracie name, and would not even if Rorion didn't copyright it. It is called "Machado Jiu-jitsu" or "RCJ BJJ" when someone is trying to refer to that branch.

I train under a Machado

Which Machado do you train under? I train under/with Jean Jacques.

Also FD- I don't know how you decided when one lineage starts and another ends but, the Machado's(at least Jean Jacques) have had a falling out of sorts with Carlos Gracie JR, so I don't think it's totally wrong to say they have a separate lineage going forward.

Dante posted:

you should because of the all the fad guards that caused an uproar and bitching about rule changes to make them illegal because no knew how to counter them (spider guard) then people stopped caring once they figured it out, the 50/50 guard remained and is getting increasingly popular. It also has an interesting history, being more or less invented as a way to somehow beat Cobrinha by rethinking an old stalling position then taking on a life of its own, Ryan Hall etc who now makes a living tapping everybody with his 50/50 nogi guard. It's also interesting because when we say guard it's really shorthand for fighting position for the guy who is on the bottom, but with the 50/50 it's a mirror image position and a position that's actually 100% neutral in terms of positional advantage.

By no means am I a 50/50 expert but there are a couple of points I want to make. First 50/50 wasn't designed strictly to stall or beat Cobrinha. It first got popular in no gi as a way to attack with the heel hook, and it can be used to finish guys in the gi as well(Cobrinha beat Bruno Fratzatto in the finals of the Mundials one year with a toe hold from 50/50 with like 20 seconds left) the fact that all the top featherweights are crazy flexible doesn't mean you can't finish from there(Rodrigo Cavaca finishes dudes from there all the time).

More importantly 50/50 isn't always a 100% neutral position. Depending on the exact position of the legs and grips(in the gi anyways) one person often has a real advantage, it's still hard to sweep or pass, but one guys in the drivers seat so to speak. Jeff Glover talked about this at the seminar I did last week, but I don't know the position well enough to go into great detail on how one person would be in a stronger position than his opponent.

Even if you participate in bjj/sub grappling/whatever it's sometimes boring to watch a lot of matches, but here are some cool highlight video's of awesome dudes doing awesome poo poo

Terere http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJqgXTsnf54
Roberto "Cyborg" Abreu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDF0if7SQBY
Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0_6u07fOcI
Rubens "Cobrinhha" Charles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMCzXYwx2HE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

shizen posted:

are there any free instructional videos online for basic moves to just learn the sport better? Not really subs but more positioning, guard passes, sweeps ext.

Not free but you could look into one of the various online training site(Jean Jacques Machado Online. Draculino BJJ Training,Marcelo Garcia in Action or Gracie University. There's a lot of good instruction on youtube but without some background in the sport it's sometimes hard to know what's good or bad, and most instructionals that come out focus on more advanced/niche stuff than what you need to work on as a beginner.

Failing that I'd pick up Jiu Jitsu University by Saulo Ribeiro.

edit: It's not impossible to learn jiu jitsu with out an instructor(most people outside of Brazil or California until the mid 90's instruction consisted of 1 or 2 dvd sets and training with a real instructor for two weeks a year, there's more instruction out there now, but it's difficult, especially if you can't find someone competent to train with occasionally to point out your mistakes.

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 15, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Grab Your Foot! posted:

I have no idea if this is reliable but according to Wikipedia his two losses against someone in his own weight class in the last seven years were against Pablo Popovitch at ADCC in 2009 and Michael Langhi at the World Pro Cup, also in ‘09. Popovitch is himself one of the great grapplers in the world who has basically beat everybody but Garcia (who he has lost to twice, both by submission, both in the finals of ADCC) he has faced in the past half decade and Langhi was named the BJJ Competitor of the year in 2009 and also took gold in his weight in the Mundials in '09.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, also the only other guy to beat him as a blackbelt at middleweight was Terere, who deserves his own write-up because he was an amazing competitor, and then went insane or something.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I think the judging at IBJJF events(at least for black belts) has gotten much better over the last few years(50/50 isn't near the debacle it once was, very few big gently caress ups by refs etc). However in smaller tournaments over the last few years I've seen any number of debacles including refs talking on the phone during a match, a ref not seeing that a competitor was asleep and numerous instances of refs not giving points for positions held for waaaaaaay longer than 3 seconds. The problems not going to go away until promoters stop reusing terrible referees.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fatherdog posted:

One of the things I've been bitching about for years is that takedowns or sweeps or passes to someone's turtle should be worth points, just like sweeping or passing to side control. I think encouraging people to give up their backs to nullify points breeds bad habits for mma and has no compelling reason to exist in grappling.

I'm not quite sure about how the rules work regarding sweep to turtle but in the finals of last years Pan Am open class Antonio Braga Neto was up on advantages over Bernardo Faria when Bernardo attempted an omoplota, he didn't get Antonio to roll so he released the arm and came up to top of turtle and got two points and won the match.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

That kind of owned

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I've never worn a cup/mouthpiece/head gear and it's mostly not been a problem(I've been kicked in the balls a few times but I've never had a problem with my teeth or ears).

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

shizen posted:

so started doing some grappling classes at my gym and my neck is really sore is this common for grappling?

Also am I expected to just get my rear end kicked everyday? I have gone this week and every time we grapple I end up on my back, mounted and subbed in some way or another. I feel as though I don't even stand a chance since I don't know anything. Should I ask them to go easy on me when we spar at the end? I spend most of the time just trying to not get subbed instead of going for anything myself.

Also my chest legs and forearms are bruised up badly looks like someone has been punching me there. Not sure I like this sport very much but I'm signed up for the month and was a really good deal and I'm totally gased every workout so my cardio is getting better. I want to get better but guess it sucks to get owned so bad.

Everything thats happening is normal. Your neck soreness and bruises will decrease a lot/go away completely. And guys owning you is just part of how you learn, in three months your going to think you haven't learned a thing and then you're going to roll with a new guy and absolutely crush him, it's just how it goes. With that said it is a good idea to find an upper belt/instructor and have him show you the proper way to escape mount/back/side.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

1st AD posted:

Can somebody knowledgeable in BJJ give me the rundown on Xande Ribeiro? I have an opportunity to do some photo/video shoots with him very soon, but my knowledge of high level BJJ is very sparse.

http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/xande-ribeiro-fighter-wiki

He's on the really short list of guys who have won the absolute world title multiple times. He's super well rounded(excellent on top and bottom) and is one of the best guys in BJJ at takedowns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZCuM34A07A

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

henkman posted:

Don't try to mount, try to work from side control. I don't know why, but I find it easier to control the other guy and work for submissions from side control than mount.

I don't love mount but this is pretty bad advice.

This dude is only a purple belt but this is a real good video on getting mount from side control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drR7qaSbak0&feature=channel_video_title

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fawker posted:

Out of curiosity, are most people here training exclusively BJJ?
If so, how much are you guys paying? I just tried out a different place today, and I think I'm gonna stick with this one. The head instructor is a really cool, laid back guy. The gym is really into tournaments/competitions, which I like.

Im paying about $135 a month for about 4 days a week... its a little steep, but Ill just cut back on some other expenses to make it work :)

Im getting my rear end kicked but I LOVE it.

I pay 195 a month. I go to the most expensive gym in my area, but it's much more convenient for me and I love my instructor/team mates.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Near as I can tell Roger has won 3 of there last 5 matches(Roger beat Xande twice at Abu Dhabi and in the weight class final of the Mundials, while Xande beat Roger in 2006 and 2008 in the Absolute finals of the Mundials).

As far as Xande "figuring out" Roger I think Bundt Cake is sort of right. If you play Rogers game(let him get on top of you, or play from Rogers closed/half guard) you will lose. Xande's been the only person capable of exploiting those "holes" in Rogers game lately.

Two things worth mentioning are that at the very highest level if you let your opponent play there game you're probably going to lose(for example the only times Romulo Barral has had someone in his spider guard and not scored or finished in the last 4 years is against Roger and Tarsis, the same is true of Michael Langhi's spider guard or Cobrinha's De La Riva). The other point worth making is that Rogers takedowns have gotten a lot better, and Xande has had less success in general the last few years and I think it would be fair to make Roger a favorite if they meet again.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

henkman posted:

Really because A seems pretty reasonable too. You don't think Marcelo is naturally gifted enough to beat people training 1 day a week in something useful?

Marcelo may be gifted enough to beat Jobbers training once a week, but it's obscene to suggest he's beat the kind of guys he's beaten(Shaolin, Renzo, Popovitch) while training once a week.

edit: Fatherdog'd

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
For what it's worth guys from my academy have won medals at each of the no-gi worlds and we train almost exclusively with the gi(the only time I've seen anyone rolling no-gi this calendar year is when George Sotiropoulos trained with us).

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Gomi Pile posted:

i think he lost in the final to romulo and it wasn't a world championship.

He lost to Romulo in the finals of a gi tournament, but a week or two before he won the No-Gi World Championships. Also Josh's coach is a BJJ blackbelt.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I had a video of a bunch of stuff I use from under side control but I took it down 'cause it was right after a bunch of guys were getting poo poo for having instructionals without the credentials to back it up (Ari Bolden, Brandon Quick) and considering I'm only a blue belt I didn't feel like it was a good look for me to be making videos showing people how to do moves.

The problem with those guys isn't so much that they're not qualified(Ari probably isn't, but for all of Quick's poo poo a lot of his material seemed pretty good) it's that they misrepresented there level and at least in Ari's case a lot of what he was teaching was loving awful. As long as you're not wearing a black belt or fronting like your some kind of expert put up whatever you want.

Side note: My coach kimura/americana'd(I'm not sure which)two people from under side control today.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

nemoulette posted:

Cool video with Terere who is aiming to return to competition this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaQwc3BSBVw&feature=player_embedded#at=32

Terere loving owns, but I'm surprised he's able to get into the US(unless he's planning to cross the border or something?)

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Not exactly, it's what Wilson attempts here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqocg5_0bzQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=128s and it kinda works before Ryan grabs his foot. Somewhere someone described it as a dumb white belt technique someone went and perfected and that's kind of the appeal and concern to me. I like it but I worry that if I'm not Wilson it'll be the pass that doesn't work against really good people.

I don't know about at the highest levels but one of the black belts at my gym hits it on a lot of dudes and he's like 65.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I remember last year someone did a pretty sweet write up for the NCAA wrestling tournament, this years one is coming up next weekend, and if someone wants to write something that would be great(the only thing last years broadcast taught me was that no matter who was involved in a match it was all about the hawkeyes. It was loving brutal).

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Mardragon posted:

There is some speculation that they stacked the one side of the 125 bracket and ranked Robles #1 over the returning NCAA champion to give a clear shot for Robles for ESPN.

Edit - apple crushing power! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04QWp7AhK3E

How is seeding determined? I take it it's not just by record?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
The IBJJF Pan Jiu Jitsu Tournament(which is a stupid name btw) is streaming next weekend at budovideos.com(I think it's going to cost 10 bucks and there should be 10+ hours worth of matches). Does anyone have any interest in a write up like the one Mardragon did for the NCAA's?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Registration officially ended yesterday, but brackets won't be out until probably Tuesday, however in the interest of my sanity(I'm competing and am going to be a bit of a wreck by Tuesday or Wednesday) I'll do most of the write up over the next few days and then make my medal picks next week.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fawker posted:

Im looking to buy My Very First Gi.
Internet research so far has led me to two choices.

1) Padilla & Sons
2)Shoyoroll

For the Padilla and Sons gi, I've basically read that its best value for money spent, and the guy that runs the business at http://www.matrat.us/ loves to get in touch with customers personally to meet their needs etc...

Shoyoroll, I havent been able to find pricing/gis at all online anywhere. Does anyone have more information RE: where I could buy them or at least check out pricing?

Does anyone here have experience with any of these two companies, or experience with any brands they would LOVE to recommend to a noob? Thanks!

Except for during pre sale your not finding shoyoroll for less than 250 on ebay

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
As I mentioned previously, the IBJJF Pan Ams is one of the biggest BJJ tournaments in the world. While the field has shrunken over the last few years both at the lower levels(2 years ago there were like 80 guys in the division I'm entering, this year it's closer to 40) and at blackbelt were many guys are either focusing on the World Championships in May(Roger Grace, Marcelo Garcia, Kayron Gracie etc) and some guys(Rodrigo Cavaca, Rafael Lovato, Cyborg Abreu and others) are saving themselves for next months Abu Dhabi World Pro which is considered by some to be less prestigous than the Pan Ams but is backed by a different prince than ADCC and offers real prize money. With all that said there are a lot of really good guys and the absence of some favorites means many divisions are wide open.

For each division I'll highlight some of the guys I think have a strong shot at a medal and the person I think will take home gold.

Note on weights: competitors weigh in with there gi right before the start of there first match

Rooster(up to 126.5 lbs)3 Competitors

Bruno Malfacine and Caio Terra have won every important tournament in this division over the last 3 or four years but both of them are competing at light feather this year. With those two out of the way former world champion Felipe Costa(Brasa team) is a heavy favorite.

Light Feather(up to 141 lbs) 11 competitors

This should be an exciting division with a handful of guys having strong shots at grabbing a medal or winning. Bruno Malfacine(Alliance), Caio Terra(Cesar Gracie), Laercio Fernandes(Lotus Club) and Carlos Vieira Holanda(Checkmat BJJ) have all taken home a medal from the worlds or pan ams over the last few years. Lets break them down a little

Bruno Malfacine: Bruno is a 3 time world champion at rooster, and this is his second time competing at light feather after taking a silver to Ary Farias at the European Open in January(part 1 part 2). Bruno is one of my favorite competitors to watch because in addition to having a strong guard like all the lighter weight guys have he is an incredible guard passer, unfortunately he's often one of the smaller rooster weights and I think his size will really hurt him here.

Caio Terra: Caio is a former world champion at rooster weight, but he's had some pretty good success at light feather(finishing second at last years Pan Ams) he also went on a tear last year winning multiple absolute divisions at some of the smaller IBJJF events last year. Caio's size isn't as big of a disadvantage as Bruno's but it's still there, however Caio's guard is basically unpassable and he has nasty leg locks. Caio drat near won this division last year and I think he's got a pretty good shot at doing it again.

Carlos Holanda Vieria is the guy who beat Caio Terra last year to win the light feather division at the pan ams. That match was really close and I wish I could find a copy of it online. Carlos is another guy best known for his guard(supposedly it's never been passed in competition at black belt, I've never seen anyone pass his guard).

Laercio Fernandes: To be honest I don't know much about him, but he beat Caio Terra in the finals of last years US Nationals, and to me thats enough to make him a real credible threat.

Here's some videos of these guys in action

Bruno Malfacine vs Laercio Fernandes from earlier this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV1IC4a-aKM

Caio Terra 2009 Las Vegas Open Absolute highlights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPz6-GRyErs

Laercio Fernandes vs Sebastian Lalli http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWTPuc6SHbo

And I couldn't find a single video of Carlos Vieira in action online.

Unless they meet up early in the division those are the four guys I expect to medal. All four guys are capable of beating each other, but I'm going to give a slight advantage to Vieira because he's not undersized like Terra and Malfacine and he's got more experience than Fernandes.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Feather weight(up to 150 lbs)

Feather weight is traditionally one of the most exciting divisions because it's stacked with excellent competitors using aggressive jiu jitsu. This years division is going to own because it's going to piss a lot of people off for several reasons, one of which has a chance of being a major factor in how this division plays out.

The first thing that pisses people off is 50/50(if you're not aware of what 50/50 is it's the position the guy starts on the bottom with in this video. 50/50 pisses guys off for several reasons, all of them dumb. Some people don't like the position because they say it's not applicable to self defense, those people are mostly right, but a lot of tournament jiu jitsu isn't self defense applicable so I don't think this is a particularly good point. The other reason people don't like 50/50 is they consider it a stalling position to me there are two problems with this idea, the first is 50/50 is one of the strongest positions in terms of sweeping people in jiu jitsu, the second is that while people can stall in 50/50 you can stall in almost any position(sometimes when I'm really tired I pull spider guard and sit there for 5 minutes not trying to do anything, but that's my fault not spider guards fault). The 50/50 debate has been done to death and I'm not interested in having it again, but I feel like it's worth touching on because your going to see it a lot and it's still somewhat controversial.

The second issue has to do with team mates refusing to fight team mates. Just like in MMA many of the best fighters belong to the same team and many of them refuse to fight each other. However in Jiu Jitsu it's slightly more complicated for a couple reasons, first with most tournaments not paying competitors it's hard to force guys to compete against each other when they don't want to and secondly since jiu jitsu competitions work in a tournament format team mates are inevitably going to meet up. The IBJJF has made several rules to try and make this into a smaller issue, first each "team" can only place two competitors in each division(to get around this the teams will enter guys under slightly different team names, for instance this division features two guys from Atos and two guys from ATOS BJJ) and second guys from the same team(name) can only meet in the finals. This is critically important for this division because the 4 best competitors(Rafael and Guilherme Mendes, Eduardo Ramos and Bruno Fratzatto) are all teammates. Atos entered Rafael and Bruno under one team and Eduardo and Guilherme on the other(meaning Eduardo can only face Guilherme in the finals, and Rafael and Bruno can only meet in the finals). Like I said these are the four best guys so how they are seeded will go a long way to determine who gets what medal, if the brackets end up like they did at the European Open earlier this year with none of those competitors meeting until the medal round then I expect them all to medal with none of them fighting each other. If they meet earlier in the bracket than it's hard to say who will sit out for whom.

However, even though I think the four best guys are from Atos I do think there are two competitors who can make some noise in this division. I think Ryan Hall(Brasa) and Justin Rader(Ribeiro BJJ) are good enough that they have a decent shot of upsetting either Bruno or Ed(however both of them would be big underdogs to Rafael and Guilherme).

Now that we know who the main players are lets talk a little about each of them. I will list them starting from the guy I consider the best and working down from there.

Rafael Mendes: Rafael has not lost a match since loosing a referees decision to Cobrinha in the semi final of the 2009 world championships. Since then Rafael has gone on to win the European Open, the pan ams, the world championships, ADCC and Abu Dhabi World Pro. Doing so he's beaten Cobrinha(who was the king of this division for years and regarded as one of the very best players in the world) multiple times under multiple rule sets in a series of very close competitive matches, virtually everyone else who's stepped on the mats with Rafael has gotten steam rolled and in doing so established himself as not just the best feather weight in the world, but as one of the very best pound for pound(if you believe in such things). While many people think of Rafael as only a 50/50 a player the truth is he has an incredible de la riva/ reverse de la riva game and may well be the strongest guard passer in the division. It's also worth noting that Rafael has wins over both Ryan Hall and Justin Rader.

Rafael Mendes vs Theodoro Canal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhOU2um5MEA
Rafael Mendes vs Ryan Hall http://www.grappling-core.com/videos/_Rafael_Mendes_vs_Ryan_Hall_2010_Jiu_jitsu_World_C?vid=10002714
Killing some dude http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8LM82Dhgc

Guilherme Mendes: The older brother of Rafael, Guilherme is also well decorated with gold medals from the Pan Ams, World Championships, Brazilian Nationals and European Open(all of those coming at light feather). Guilherme came up through the belts at featherweight before dropping down to light feather to avoid being in the same bracket as his brother, he had a ton of success initially, before having trouble making weight at last years world championships and being upset in the first round. Like his brother, Guilherme has a very well rounded game, and while the consensus is that he's not as good as Rafael he's still a freaking monster.

Guilherme Mendes vs Justin Rader http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTNXTxgWtJA
Guilherme Mendes vs Pablo Silva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLne0kiPfaE
Rafael and Guilherme highlight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RLz4V0YvPQ

Bruno Frazatto: Bruno is another highly decorated player(2 medals at the world championships, and 2 golds from the Brazilian Nationals among other things). Bruno was the first guy to really use 50/50 on the world stage, using it to slow down and nearly beat Cobrinha in a way no one else had done up to that point.

Bruno vs Theodoro Canal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ryk5p9XEpY
Bruno vs Isaque Paiva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHG6Lo6xNnY

I don't know a ton about Eduardo Ramos so I'll just post some videos

Eduardo Ramosvs Ryan Hall http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvlkAe5LUn4
Eduardo Ramos vs Rubens Camargo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yK101vkn0Y
Eduardo against some dude http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQf4s_8tho

Ryan Hall is one of the best known American BJJ players thanks to winning a lot of competitions at lower belts and being heavily promoted by Lloyd Irvin. Ryan left team Lloyd Irvin about two years ago and is now part of Brasa team. Since receiving his black belt before last years Pan Ams Ryan has had some good results(winning the IBJJF Houston Open and the Abu Dhabi World Pro Qualifiers) to go along with loosing to some of the top guys in the division(Ed Ramos, Rafael Mendes, Theodoro Canal). However Ryan looks better with each passing tournament and after looking really good so far this year I think he's got a decent shot at a medal. In addition to the tournaments I mentioned earlier Ryan also has a bronze medal from the 2009 ADCC.

Ryan Hall vs Bruno Rocha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJuyLgl_yw
Ryan Hall vs Eduardo Silva http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf_DTBNAODY
Ryan Hall highlight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G5rAsrkx8Q

Justin Rader has been competing at a pretty high level for quite some time(he did really well vs Cobrinha in a no gi match back in early 2009 before going to ADCC later that year) he received his black belt late last year and has since gone on to win the No Gi worlds and the IBJJF Houston open. Justin doesn't have as good a guard as some of the guys in this division but he's got great base and probably the best wrestling in the division.

Justin Rader vs Gustavo Carpio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3RqnbqLKvk
Justin Rader vs Michael Trasso http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7-iD8TYvXA

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

awkward_turtle posted:

I'm really loving Ryan Hall lately, he's come a long way from being the inverted guard guy, aka, "Dr. Ryangle." Much more complete Jiu-jitsu while still retaining that smoothness that made him fun to watch. Rafa is still a freak monster though. Not looking forward to possibly seeing the the finals and semi's being entirely closed out with a handshake.

Closing out brackets definetly sucks from a spectators point of view, however until the IBJJF starts paying people I don't think they should require team mates to fight(though obviously some guys do (Roger vs Romulo Barral in the absolute finals is probably the best example). For what it's worth I'm pretty sure Rafael Mendes has a win over Bruno Frzatto in no gi from a few years back, and Eduardo Ramos and Guilherme fought in the finals of the Abu Dhabi World Pro trials a few weeks back. Rafael also had a good match with Guilherme in the finals of last years Abu Dhabi World Pro. Apparently your not allowed to bow out to your teammates in that tournament, supposedly the organizers weren't super happy with Cyborg basically throwing the match to Vagner Rocha In the finals of the east coast trials.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

MuonManLaserJab posted:

What's the best way to watch these tournaments?

Also, is this the Michael Hall guard pull?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WzHIc8Lkr8#t=8m20s

There are a couple of options for watching bjj tournaments(I have no idea about wrestling). Some of the big events(Pan Ams, World Championships, probably the No-Gi worlds, ADCC) will be streamed, probably for about 10 bucks each. All of those events will make there way to dvds(generally 50-100 bucks) and depending on the event they'll feature the finals plus some of the best fights, or the finals and previous rounds of the tournament. Unfortunately events that end up on dvd don't end up on youtube(and if they do they get taken down) however you can sometimes find them through google videos, and other events(Brazilian Nationals, European Open, Abu Dhabi World Pro etc) make there way to youtube in the days after the events you can search for them on youtube or if you read any of the popular jiu jitsu blogs/forums you'll find plenty of links.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Back to Pan Am Preview

Lightweight(up to 167.5 lbs)

This is another fairly strong field, with a ton of talented guys and only two of the top guys missing(Gilbert Burns who's moved up to middleweight and last years runner up at the worlds Celso Venicius who isn't competing). I think there are three guys with a strong chance to take gold, and another 3 or 4 guys capable of taking home a medal.

Michael Langhi(Alliance) is the favorite in his field. Michael's only two losses in the last three years came in 2008 to the previously mentioned Celso Venicius. Since then he's won everything he's entered(or bowed out in the finals to teammate Lucas Lepri) including the World Championships, Pan Ams, Brazilian Nationals, European Open and Abu Dhabi World Pro. Michael is known for a ridiculous spider guard, a strong omoplata game and excellent finishes from the back. To the best of my knowledge he's undefeated against the rest of this field and he's beaten quite a few of them.

Michael Langhi vs Jorge Patino Macaco http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHRv3F6eZoA
Michael Langhi vs Michel Maia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEX9v5INwWE
Michael Langhi vs Daisuke Sugie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XILcBLAEO

Lucas Lepri(Alliance) has multiple medals(including golds) from the Worlds, Pan Ams, No Gi worlds, No gi Pan Ams, European Open and Brazilian Nationals. Lucas hasn't been quite as dominant as his teammate Michael Langhi, losing to Gilbert Burns, JT Torres and Celso Venicius over the last few years. However with Burns and Venicius not competing, and Lucas having beaten Torres in all but one of there matches(albeit all of them close) there's no reason not to think Lucas won't make it back to the finals here. Lucas has some of the best takedowns in this division and a really good half guard to go along with excellent passing and a good open guard.

Lucas Lepri vs Cyborg Abreu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJlyQZztYos
Lucas Lepri vs Gregor Gracie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBICG1Tskj
Lucas Lepri highlight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scTAH0EVM6M

JT Torres(Lloyd Irvin) Unlike Lepri and Langhi JT Torres isn't a world champion(nor does he have any black belt medals from the worlds or pan ams) however since receiving his blackblet JT has only lost to the very best guys in his division(Langhi, Lepri, Gilbert Burns) and all of those losses have been extremely close(a bunch of referees decisions, matches decided by 1 point or advantage). JT has run over everyone else in his division, and as close as his matches with the top guys have been I think it's only a matter of time until he breaks through. For those of you who care about such things, JT is one of the few Americans(along with Rafael Lovato and maybe Ryan Hall) who I think has a serious shot to medal at this years world championships. JT is really good at turning his guard passing into taking his opponents back and he has a very strong de la riva guard game.

JT Torres vs Dustin Hazelett http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GhuoFU-WIE
JT Torres vs Jonatas Gurgel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kKPA-yQWXI
JT Torres vs Agusto Mendes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC4V6pPX-2o

I need to get back to my homework, so I'm not going to write these guys up, but these are the other guys I think can make it to the medal rounds(depending on the bracket): Rodrigo Caporal, Agusto Mendes, and Philipe Della Monica.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

John Blaster posted:

Gracie Barra or no?

I trained BJJ at a Gracie school for a little while, but not an official gracie barra school. It was much more personal, no contracts, you get promoted when you actually deserve it, etc...

So moved to LA, and the closest school to me is a Gracie Barra academy. I took the free class, nice students, good teachers... but the way it operates seems so backwards to me. Ignoring the contract, they charge you 100 dollars "enrollment fee" so that "master carlos can track your progress"... yeah i'm sure he's updating 'JohnBlastersBeltProgress.xls' every week. Also, they promote you based on how much time you've put into their school, and from what I gather pay no mind to how much training you've already had. In addition to this, they don't even let you do live rolling until you have three stripes.. Oh yeah, I guess they give out stripes on their belts here, too...

All this stuff doesn't sit well with me. It feels like it's the McDonald's of BJJ. I feel like I should be staying far away... Thoughts?

Gracie Barra is too big an organization to just say yes/no. There are some guys who teach for Barra who are incredible instructors and or competitors, and some guys who are junk. Unless your worried about being internet detective'd you should post which school it is specifically.

Also, does no rolling until 3 stripes mean no rolling at all, or just no free rolling(but still doing positional sparring)?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Well, like I said, you do learn real BJJ. If somebody has a purple belt or something from Gracie Barra they are just as deserving as any other purple. It's just a really commercialized and structured program that makes sure everything is very easy and safe for beginners. If you are enjoying it and can afford the tuition, there is no reason not to go for it, especially if there aren't other options in your area.

I've seen a chart detailing how many classes you need for each promotion, is that a minimum number of classes or once you reach x classes you get y belt/stripe?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
New guys at my school only drill for the first day or two. Each round during sparing they get paired up with a higher belt who shows them a basic move one guy shows him a mount escape, then the next round a basic guard pass, followed by a scissor sweep and so on. It's too much information for them to remember everything but I think the idea is that when he starts free training he'll at least have an idea of what to do in most situations.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Acinonyx posted:

This will help you improve your technique. If they know you're going to try a certain sweep, it will force you to execute it well to be successful or give you an opportunity to practice transitioning to other moves.

Piggybacking on this, everyone in my gym nows my game because I only do 4-5 sweeps, 3 passes and 3 submissions. Not only that but I have a good idea of what most of the guys in my gym are going for before we start rolling. The same is true when high level guys compete everyone knows Roger is looking for the mount, and they know how Rafael Mendes passes but that doesn't mean anyone can stop them.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Pan Am brackets are up. Sorry for not doing a preview of all the divisions, I've been super busy especially since I'm competing tomorrow(blue belt adult heavy). For those interested budovideos.com is apparently doing a free broadcast on Saturday which will feature the adult open division and maybe some matches from brown belt adult and black belt masters/seniors, as well as Sunday which will have adult black belt weight classes + all the finals.

Anyway updating my predictions

Roosterweight: Earlier I had said Felipe Costa would run away with this division, but Raphael Freitas(Gracie Barra) is dropping down from light feather, that dude is a beast and could definitely give Felipe trouble in the finals.

Light feather: I'm predicting Caio Terra vs Carlos Holanda in one semifinal and Bruno Malfacine vs Megaton in the other(for those of you who don't know, Megaton is the only guy to compete in all of the world championships at black belt, he's a real og) with Carlos Holanda beating Bruno Malfacine in the finals.

Feather: The Atos guys are going to split the medals

Lightweight: Michael Langhi vs JT Torres in one semifinal and Lucas Lepri vs the winner of Agusto Mendes/Rodrigo Caporal(I have no idea how this math will play out) however I think the final will be Langhi and Lepri closing out the bracket.

Middleweight: I wish I had gotten around to writing up this division, since it's going to be super exciting but whatever. Claudio Calasans vs Gustavo Campos in one semi and Lucas Leite vs the winner of Abmar Barbosa vs Gilbert Burns(this is another match that could go either way, and this match will probably be insane). Calasans over Barbosa or spliting with Burns in the final(Burns and Calasans are another set of teammates)

Meadium Heavy: Andre Galvao vs Marcel Louzada in one semi and Otavio Sousa over ???(I don't know anything about the four guys opposite him) Galvao over Sousa in the finals. I'm freaking stoked to see the return of Galvao.

Heavyweight: Rodlofo Viera vs Ricardo Abreu in one semi and Bernardo Farria vs Roberto Alencar in the other. I think Faria will win his semi final match but I have no idea about the rest. Viera missed much of last year with injury after going on a tear in 2009 and Abreu is moving down from super heavy where he was really good(even against Roger). This bracket is going to be super interesting.

Super heavy: Orlando Zanetti vs Marcus Almeida in one semi with ?? vs Bruno Bastos in the other. ALmeida over Bastos in the finals. I can't stand Bruno Bastos.

Ultra heavy: Luiz "Big Mac" Theodoro vs Antonio Braga Neto in one semifinal against Antonio Peinado v Gabriel Vella. Antonio Braga Neto over Gabriel Vella in the finals. If Big Mac faces Vella it will be the most boring match of the tournament.

If people are interested(and I'm not super depressed) I can go a little more in depth on some match ups on Friday.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

Why do you dislike bruno bastos? My friend trains under him and loves him. I've never met the man and couldn't pick him out of a lineup, I'm just curious what his rep is.

I didn't even realize he was that big of a guy, I guess since my friend fighters at FW, I kind of assumed bruno was smaller.

I don't have much against Bruno when it comes to stuff off the mat, I thought it was kind of cheesy how he gave Brandon Quick his brown belt, but Quick has been competing at most of the major tournaments so whatever. My beef with Bruno is that he's frequently ridiculously boring, so much so that he's lost a ton of matches either by refs decision or because he got called for stalling enough for his opponent to be given points. It boggles my mind how someone can be as good as him(and Bruno is really skilled) and do so little so frequently.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Neurosis posted:

What are your feelings on Ricardo Arona?

At least when Arona stalled it won him matches. I'm not hating on Bastos because he stalls(everyone stalls a little) but because he stalls and refuses to stop even when he knows it's going to cost him a match.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

the periodic fable posted:

what? i know what it is, i'm asking where the expression came from.

Honestly I have no idea. I started hearing people say it in person and seeing people type it online and just figured out what it meant by the context it was used in.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Middleweight(up to 181 lbs). The fact that this division is going to be one of the most exciting divisions of the weekend despite missing a whole host of top notch guys(Marcelo Garcia, Sergio Moraes, Kron and Kayron Gracie, Thiago Alves, Rafael Barbosa, Murillo Santana off the top of my head) shows just how deep the talent level is at middleweight.

Originally I had figured the first semi final would be between Claudio Calasans(Atos) and Luis Gustavo Campos(checkmat) but I think it's a different Gustavo Campos than I'm thinking of(the guy I'm thinking of won the European Open Absolute division in 2010 and represents Atos team). This Campos is also really good, but I could see him losing to Clark Gracie before he makes the semi finals.

Claudio Calasans is the favorite in this division. Despite a third place finish at the 2006 Worlds Claudio was mostly unknown until he had a strong run at the 2009 worlds where he took home a bronze medal in the absolute while competing at middleweight. He followed that up by winning his weight division as well as the absolute division at the 2010 Abu Dhabi World Cup(where among others he beat Braulio Estima twice) last year he took home a silver medal at the worlds. Claudio's dad was some sort of Judo prodigy(earning his red and black belt by the age of 39) and while Claudio does have strong takedowns, he pulls guard quite a bit and has one of the best closed guards in the game.

Vs Lucas Leite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1mQwM9RSMY
vs Claudio Cardosa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn0-DOIIHkk
vs Márius Linke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf2SIR-gC00

His opponent in the Semifinal will either be Luis Gustavo Campos or Clark Gracie. I don't know a ton about either guy but Campos won the rio open last year and Clark Gracie nearly beat Andre Galvao last month at the Abu Dhabi Pro Trials(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncX8GY6NfZY)

The most interesting match on the other side of the bracket will pit Abmar Barbosa(Drysdale BJJ) against Gilbert Burns(atos) in the quarterfinals. Barbosa really made a name for himself at this event last year finishing former world champ Lucas Leite by armbar and dominating Kron Gracie on the way to a silver medal. His run at the worlds was cut short by Murillo Santana in a match that budovideos took down from youtube despite not releasing on DVD. Barbosa has a very strong spider guard and is one of the most exciting active competitors in any weight class. Gilbert Burns spent the last few years at lightweight were near as I can tell the only guy to beat him was Michael Langhi. He moved up to middleweight for the European Championships in January and won that division. Like most of the Atos guys Burns has a very strong de la riva and likes to finish from the back. To be honest, I don't know who to pick in this match.

Abmar Barbosa vs Kron Gracie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcurB3ADpXI
Abmar Barbosa vs Lucas Leite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpxpy6LZP2o
Abmar Barbosa vs Kayron Gracie part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_LSut9Mm4k
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLT4lJCh0s

Gilbert Burns vs Claudio Matos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjVxiaFCCJA
Styling on dudes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXqTz3UrUHg
Gilbert Burns vs Edson Pereira http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc-tqFqcE3A

The winner of that match will probably face Bruno Alves(Gracie Barra) in the semi finals. Bruno comes from the same school as the Estima Brothers and Otavio Sousa and the graciemag guys seem to think he can have a similar level of success as those guys. After tearing it up at brown belt and a strong performance at this years European Open I can't say I disagree.

Bruno Alves vs Claudio Calasans http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWdWaJW5lhE&feature
Vs Pedro Bessa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQVZX-5sUBI

Bruno has the tools to beat the winner of Barbosa/Burns but at this point he's the underdog against them.

In the finals I like Calasans to beat Barbosa or close out with Burns.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

My Pan Ams experience.

I arrived at the venue about 2 hours before my division was set to start, and surprisingly wasn't very nervous. I say surprisingly because the last time I competed(at a tiny little in-house tournament in December) I was so nervous I left my house 2 hours earlier than I needed to, and by the time I stepped on the mat my stomach was tying itself in knots. Anyway, I hung out with my teammates for a while until they called my division to the bullpen at which point I changed into my gi went downstairs and waited for between 20-30 minutes. Then I went into the halls to run for 10 minutes or so and break a sweat. And then I waited some more. At this point me and my coach realized he needed an official federation black belt id to coach me, so he went to register for one, and then my bracket was called. I weighed in at 200 lbs(division was up to 207) I was hoping to be able to warm up some more since I had basically cooled down, but my match was the first one in our group and I had less than 3 minutes between weighing in and the match.

I quickly grabbed a collar and sleeve grip and pulled de la riva, my opponent back stepped into half guard and I grabbed his far pants leg and used that to nearly sweep him over, but he recovered into half guard. After a little while I was able to make some space and force him back into de la riva I started to look for his back, but he did a good job of killing my non hooking leg, he stepped forward into me so I switched to reverse de la riva and tried the knee push sweep and came kind of close(though apparently not close enough to score an advantage) but he defended that too. Eventually he stood back up and I went back to dlr. He then broke my grips and backed out of my guard. All that happened in the first 2 minutes or so(at least that's what I was told). After he broke my grip he initiated a pass attempt, but I turtled to avoid it. I spent the majority of the next 4 minutes in turtle except for a few seconds where he established the back and mount. Ended up loosing 8-0.

I was really confused when the referree called time, because I thought our match couldn't have been going on for longer than 2-3 minutes, but apparently I had totally lost track of time. Unfortunately my coach still hadn't gotten his ID card by the time my match had ended, and without my glasses I couldn't see the scoreboard, which is frustrating because while I might or might not have been able to win the match, I certainly would have been more aggressive about escaping if I knew I had so little time.

In any event, I feel like it was a good experience, even though I didn't learn a lot(going in I already knew my escapes needed a lot of work, and that I was in the wrong weight class). However I was pleased with how I handled my nerves, even though I last track of time I did much better than my last competition(where a six minute match felt like it took an hour, I couldn't pull the trigger on my attacks and I had a total adrenaline dump 2 minutes into the match).

I'm going to compete once or twice in may(Jean Jacques is putting on a tournament on the 15th, and the worlds are the last weekend of the month I'll do one or both of them depending on school and money). And I'll be competing at those at middle heavy.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that there are more bad black belts now than there were 10 years ago only because of the proliferation of affiliations. There are a lot of stories of some guy being a purple belt under team x and then switching to team y and being a black belt two years later, I'm sure some of those stories are just sour grapes but if even half of them are true than theres quite a few guys who got black belts well before they were deserved.

But if we're talking about legitimate black belts than the level is probably the same if not higher than 10 years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Why do you assume they aren't deserved?

Some of them are fairly obvious(Gene Simco is well known for cycling through 3-4 different instructors because they wouldn't promote him fast enough, I'm to lazy to look up exactly what happened, but I know some of them posted about it online), and while he's the most famous guy who's had that charge leveled against him, he's far from the only one. There's a Tae Kwon Do instructor who bought his black belt from Joe Moreira, Joe's black belts don't even deny that charge.I know a lot of guys are looking to affiliate in exchange for a promotion because my coach has told tons of stories of different guys offering a lot of money in exchange for a black belt. Like I said, I don't think all or even most guys who get a belt after changing teams are frauds, but there's enough smoke that there has to be a little fire.

That's not even including all the different guys who claim to be a black belt under someone there not(Recently there was someone claiming to be a Wallid Ismael bb and some guy in Idaho claimed to be a Checkmat black belt, and both of them turned out to be frauds).

OrangeCrush posted:

Respect all black belts imho.

Everyone who put's the time on the mat to earn a black belt has my respect, I'm not one of those guys who thinks every black belt has to win a big tournament or be able to tool guys 20 years younger and 40 pounds heavier. But that doesn't mean that everyone who claims(or in some case is promoted to) black belt is above reproach.