Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Pan Ams are streaming live at budovideos.com(today is free) right now it's masters division black belts, black belt adult absolute starts at about 2:15 PST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Wait, since when does a Gi not come with a white belt? I have like 20 white belts because of this.

Only my Judo gi's came with belts

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Adult black belt absolute starting now

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Rodolfo Vieira in the absolute finals. He tore through everyone, 2 cross chokes 2 back chokes. He's a loving monster.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I'm so loving bummed I can't order todays pan am stream.

edit: gently caress it ordered

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 27, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Carlos Holanda Vieria messes up his guard pull, gets mounted and makes me look like a chump by losing his first round match after I picked him to win

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Abmar Barbosa no showed. Looks like the middle weight finals will probably be Calasans/Burns.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Calasans is based out of Brazil, and they do judo/bjj so probably not? But maybe they're affiliated.

Also Lucas Leite beat Gilbert Burns by refs decision. I had to step away for a minute and missed most of the match, can't wait to see it.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Buchecha is on another level. Sweeps and then knee bars his first opponent in maybe 3 minutes

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Crossposting from my tflc log

Went to Cobrinha's spot today for his grand opening and had a blast. Bruno Malfacine, Michael and Michel Langhi, Lucas Lepri, Bernardio Faria, Leo Itturalde, and Fabio Gurgel, and one guy who I didn't recognize showed techniques. My mind was blown on several occasions. I wanted to roll with those guys sooo bad, but I stayed disciplined and didn't roll, so that's a good/terrible thing. Langhi, Gurgel, Faria and Malfacine rolled with guys for half an hour+ and watching those guys is even more amazing in person than it is on dvd. Langhi and Malfacine are lightning quick and acrobatic as hell, and Fabio's pressure looked absolutely devastating.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

westcoaster posted:

Why wouldn't you roll?

I hurt my back a few weeks back, but I had been training through it in preperation for the Pan Ams. In my log Fatherdog had cautioned against showing up to the gym just to train because just training turns into rolling light which turns into going 100 percent which can turn into making your injuries worse. Believe me, I would have loved to train with those guys.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

shizen posted:

Are there any good dvds on all of roger gracies fights? Been watching him a lot on youtube and love his style but wondering if there is a decent dvd with high quality of most of his fights.

There's no dvds that only have his matches, but you can track down dvds of other events he's entered(worlds/ADCC/Pan Am etc) and they'll have some of his matches(and of course a ton of other guys too). The guy who runs the Roger Gracie facebook group puts up links to tons of his matches too.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

shizen posted:

which adcc is a good one to get? Also they have commentary also right?

I'm pretty sure the only ones that have commentary on dvds are the 09 ones(and only for the finals). The only year I've watched all the way through is 2009, and that was pretty cool, you could also get 2005 and watch Roger finish everyone and 03 has Eddie Bravo if you're one of the dudes who cares about that.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

colonel_korn posted:

Not to interrupt :science:-chat but here's a cool submission from the Pan-Ams:

http://www.bjjfights.com/bruno-malfacine-vs-wellington-megaton-dias-2011-pan-ams/

Bruno showed that at Cobrinha's grand opening. All I managed to do was hit people in the face over and over again.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
De La Riva is by far my best guard position. I play almost exclusively with the deep hook, and I haven't had any problems with my knees. I've heard of guys dropping there weight onto the dlr hook and that causing problems, but it's never been an issue for me.

Also, I'm not especially flexible and that's not a problem for me at all with de la riva, your hip movement is much more important than your level of flexibility.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
The no gi portion of Abu Dhabi World Pro was held over the last few days. Rafael Mendes finished first in his division(65 kg) and second in the open division, losing a referee's decision to Rodolfo Vieira. I can't wait to see Rafael's matches, that kid is insane.

Results.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
The armdrag itself isn't a takedown, but it's a great way to close the distance and set up your single/double/back attack/whatever.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
You should look into the getting a prescription for the ringworm medicine you take orally(I don't know what it's called off hand). It's probably ideal for someone who's had it spread all over and is pretty hairy, plus I heard it's faster than creams(or at least non-prescription cream).

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Man I'm like 80% deep half guard and people still ask me how much I weigh, which is instrumental to the process of having you on top of me.

I was rolling with a guys who was visiting our gym who asked me how much I weighed after I hit this on him.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Nierbo posted:

I know this is from a while back, but what was he like personality wise and training wise? I'm a huge fan of his.

He drilled with everyone, and rolled with anyone who asked him to(though Jean Jacques mostly had him roll with other black belts/guys his size). He seemed like a really good guy too, friendly with everyone and didn't seem full of himself. As far as his actual rolling, the thing that stuck out to me is he was non stop everywhere always looking to pass/sweep/submit or get out of bad positions.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I'm not a huge Eddie Bravo fan or anything, but I hope he finishes Royler again. Guys come back from points deficits to finish there opponents all the time, but Eddie's the only one who gets labeled a fluke for it. It's dumb as poo poo.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fawker posted:

How can I watch these things? Im guessing ADCC usually has a stream of some sort that we pay for?

Budovideos streams the big IBJJF events(Pan Ams, Worlds, No gi Worlds) ADCC will probably offer a stream this year. Those events also end up on DVDs. For everything else you have to look through youtube to find stuff.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
True, they did a little bit of picture in picture but it kind of sucked(and so did the commentary on the stream which was freaking terrible)

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

nemoulette posted:

A heads-up: so far ADCC has confirmed that they've invited Leozinho, Ryan Hall and Roger to this year's event.

Leo's fighting up a weight class(76 Kg instead of 66), with new weigh in rules(same day weigh ins, possible re-weigh ins where you can't be more than 2.2 kg heavier than your original weigh in) you can expect to see a lot of guys bumping up a division(don't expect to see Pablo Popovitch at 76 kg).

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Yea, Marquardt and Maia were supposed to compete in the Last ADCC, but they both had to pull out. They were scheduled to fight each other a month after ADCC, so it would have been kind of cool to see them compete against each other.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
From what I've seen Galvao's book looks awesome. Additionally Jason Scully(Lloyd Irvin black belt, runs the grapplers guide forums) but out a couple sweet youtube videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjP50SOwK4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXNBb-fWV1w

I don't really get Roy Harris's BJJ over 40 dvd. I'm sure the material in it is good, but it just seems like a bunch of begginerish stuff that's just as applicable to a 20 year old as a 60 year old. There are a lot of guys 40+ at my gym(several over 60) and the main difference between how I train(25 years old no responsibilities to speak of) and how they train is frequency and intensity. Old guys may have more trouble with some positions(going inverted for example) but by and large the jiu jitsu of older guys at my gym looks like regular jiu jitsu.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Trip report:

Today I competed at the 2011 Jean Jacques Machado Invitational, I competed at blue belt middle heavy(181-194.5).

I won my first match pretty comfortably 10-0. I had planned on setting up a proper guard pull to de la riva, but he was being pretty aggressive looking for takedowns and I'm not comfortable on the feet at all, so I just sat down once I established a collar grip. I got half guard and swept him pretty easily landing in his half guard where I quickly passed with a knee cut pass. I started to hunt for a kimura but he was able to scramble back to his feet, so I jumped guard again and scissor swept him. I then forced half guard, switched my hips and secured another guard pass. I was looking for a collar choke when time ran out.

Second round I pull guard and my opponent decides he wants to play on bottom so he pulls guard from there(this wasn't a simultaneous guard pull like you see a lot at lighter weights, I had fully established bottom and he was on top, so when he sat back I got two points). I landed on top in his half guard but couldn't look to pass because for a while because he was super aggressive with looking for collar chokes, but I defended them and set up a decent pass attempt. Unfortunately I wasn't able to complete the pass and he regained full guard, and got a decent triangle on me. I was able to posture out of it pretty well but then for some dumb loving reason I decided it was a good idea to sit down on my rear end. So I got tapped. It's been six hours and I still don't have a clue why I thought it was a good idea to abandon posture and sit down.

At this tournament I handled my nerves better than I did at the pan ams, but still not as well as I would have liked. I was crazy nervous in the hours before my first match, and the only thing I can do to calm down is break a sweat. And of course, in my second match I had a huge brain fart. Can anyone recommend some books on keeping calm/general sports psychology?

edit: split into two posts

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 16, 2011

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Also in news that the rest of the jiu jitsu world actually cares about the Brazilian Nationals were this weekend(results here). The Brazilian Nationals aren't as big a deal as they once were with many of the top guys no longer living in Brazil, and some of the top competitors in Brazil sitting it out since it's so close to the Mundials. However there were a couple of important matches, the biggest being Leandro Pereira beating Michael Langhi for the second time in a row to win the lightweight division. Leandro also beat Michael at last months Abu Dhabi Pro, ending Michaels undefeated streak that dated all the way back to 2009. On his way to the finals Leandro also beat two of the divisions best competitors JT Torres and Agusto Mendes. In the last two months Leandro has gone from relatively unknown, to the top of one of the best divisions in the sport.

Middle weight was as usual, pretty stacked. But with none of the very best guys competing it's hard to say how significant Danial Garcia's win was.

Finally Michael Wilson became only the second non Brazilian(after Rafael Lovato Jr) to win the Brazilian Nationals(though I guess maybe non Brazilians shouldn't be competing in it). He's also the first Australian to win the Brazilian Nationals(I think it's also the first time an Australian has medaled in the black belt division of an IBJJF event).

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Thermos H Christ posted:

is roger known for pulling all the classic gracie bullshit? or is he considered "one of the good ones?"

As far as I know all of Rogers MMA fights have been under whatever rules the promotion he's fighting for usually uses.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Braulio's coming off neck surgery and just started training hard again so I don't know if he's confirmed to fight yet.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Xande pulling out of Worlds.

It always sucks when one of the top guys misses Worlds, but his new division is so stacked these days(Rodolfo Vieria, Faria, Lovato etc) that it's not the end of the world.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
The last time a ton of people showed up to watch ADCC was when it was held in Long Beach. Obviously ADCC should join the Mundials and Pan Ams in Socal every year.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Roger's not competing at worlds.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

OrangeCrush posted:

bummer.

So, any goonies goin? watching or competing? details about your weight and preparation so far etc. I know theres gotta be some serious guys on here?

I thought about competing at worlds, but my last final is on the Thursday worlds start. So I would have either had to compete the same day or the day after I finish finals and that sounded way to stressful(also I'm a giant baby and don't want to compete anymore until i get to 181). I'm probably going to go watch Saturday and Sunday though, for those of you not in socal Budovideos is streaming so you can still watch.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Apparently the UFC is letting Nate fight in the Mundials but not Nick. Maybe there's something in the works.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
The organizers of NAGA and GQ are east coast based, which is why they rarely come to California. We still get a bunch of good tournaments here though. At least 4 IBJJF tournaments(Worlds, No gi Worlds, Pan Ams, American Nationals). Caique puts on a pretty big tournament each year. NABJJF puts on 4 decently sized tournaments(smaller than IBJJF but still pretty big). Fabricio Werdum put on a pretty big tournament this year that actually payed winners. Those are the biggest tournaments, but there are a couple other guys who put on occasional tournaments that feature anywhere from 6-/60 guys up to a couple hundred.

I don't know where you're coming from, but if you're going to come all the way down to Socal to compete you should probably do an IBJJF tournament(specifically the gi worlds or pan ams, since they get the most competitors) or maybe Caique's event since it has decent sized divisions and is double elimination.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I wanted to share my technique for takedowns - I do not shoot them because pulling guard owns. You are welcome.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

OrangeCrush posted:

only for tough guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHz40iUNIsc

The new judo rules are so freaking dumb

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fawker posted:

Has anyone here read/picked up the BJ Penn closed guard book?
Its on sale at my local book store for 19.99 and was thinking of picking it up. I've gone through Saulo's JJ University and found that really helpful and was hoping this could maybe help me out too.

I looked through it at a bookstore once and it looked great, if I didn't hate closed guard I probably would have bought it.

BlindSite posted:

Just got back from my first no-gi session at the local gym. Good class I think I hurt a rib because I can't breathe lying on my back without agony. fkn awesome I know.

I miss my my Gi already and I really wish it was a bigger class only around 8 or so. There's a columbian who's probably a purple or higher who doesn't speak much english so he can't really explain what he's doing during rolling. The other downside of a small class is I'm the runt of the litter, I weigh about 160 pounds, I only guy closest to my weight is 185ish maybe a bit lighter my kg to pound math is lovely there's only one fatty in the class too, everyone else is flat out loving yolked I spend a lot of time just trying to keep my guard closed around their frame let alone when they start trying to pass. Still, not being able to rely on strength has been an eye opener.

If you can't keep your guard closed than don't play closed guard. Even though a lot of regular open guard isn't applicable no-gi(spider, de la riva, feet on the hips etc) you still have a lot of good options(butterfly, x, half guard, deep half, reverse de la riva).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
This video freaking owns

http://vimeo.com/24451241