Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

huh posted:

I just had a revelation about this thanks to your picture!

I also struggle to finish it but noticed that his left hand holding his right shin pushes Galvao's arm across into the perfect position for the choke.

Excellent.

I try to do this poo poo nonstop, no luck yet (~*white beltz*~)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Can anyone point me toward the match where, I think it was Marcelo Garcia, is riding a big guy around by standing on the back of his knees?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

That's it, thanks.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

fawker posted:

Bocek's twitter said he was gonna be training with Marcelo Garcia. I guess youre learning under Marcelo then... what an opportunity!

CONTENT:
I've only really started BJJ lessons for like 2 weeks now. I feel that if I was to go to the free rolling sessions, I would only get in the way and nobody would want to roll with the silly noobie. Should I get a better grasp of some basics before showing up to these sessions or should I just show up and be someone's grappling dummy.

It's important to roll with people newer than you as well as people more experienced than you, because you shouldn't get used to your opponents always reacting the correct way. It teaches you the reasoning behind a lot of the basics.

Also, the way to practice a submission is try it against the newest guys first, then slightly better guys, then work your way up to doing it on your equals and betters. Basically, new guys are welcome because you're a useful tool in everyone else's training, and you make them feel better about themselves while you're at it, and they'll teach you some cool poo poo too.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I love using kimuras to bully people around into the position you want them in. It's like leading a dog around by the collar. YOU ARE GOING TO SIDEMOUNT NOW. NOW YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE ME YOUR BACK. GOOD DOG

Also here is relevant thing to all the horseshit on the last two pages.

edit: And if you think "High Percentage Submission" means anything other than "Submissions that you are more statistically likely to win a competition with", you're confusing terms. It's not what you feel you like the most personally, or what you're personal favourites are, or what you feel most comfortable with, or what you think is easiest. Mathematics are not subjective. How easy or difficult a move is for you personally is completely irrelevant, but saying "The Rear Naked Choke is a high percentage submission, so you should practice it" is perfectly sound.

The number of times you get a submission to work divided by the number of times you've tried that submission is not the percentage. It's impossible to record. At what point of the set-up does a submission become a failed attempt at that submission? You have a head and an arm trapped? You have a head and an arm trapped and your legs are creeping towards a triangle? You've got a triangle locked in and they escape? You think you have it locked in but for some reason it doesn't work? They predict it coming and take measures, in advance, to stop it happening? It's too hard to define a "failed submission" to do anything with it statistically.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 16, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

1st AD posted:

I'm surprised arm triangle isn't higher on that list. I don't follow competitive grappling, so are those stats fairly close to what you'd see in grappling comps?

This is pure guesswork but they're probably pretty different. For one, that information is a bit dated, and for two, in MMA you rarely bother with a submission from mount, you just go punch-crazy. I imagine pure grappling would look quite a bit different, but I couldn't find any statistics. At a wild guess, armbars, RNC's and triangles would still be huge, but then you'd have a bunch of mount chokes pretty high up?

And yeah, I'm sorry for dragging that issue back up, I realize now that I look like an rear end in a top hat for returning to the subject after it'd settled down.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Your advice is great, Yuns. There needs to be a site somewhere about BJJ that gives you useful instruction on concepts without bogging itself down in actual techniques. Tips for instructing, tips for learning, maybe a map of how positions relate to each other for beginners, meditiations on the high level metagame, considerations in how you build a personal game, and stuff like that. When I was a white belt I was bogged down in memorizing as many cool sweeps and subs as I could and I really didn't have a very good framework to put all my moves in. I still don't, really.

I would totally put together such a site if some of y'all would write for it. It'd help keep me sane for a few months while I'm sidelined by injury.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

My instructors actually focus on the high level principles and framework for BJJ as well as teaching moves. I would love to contribute their thoughts, but I don't really feel that I can share all that much of it since it's up to them whether they want their stuff distributed. It's not about secrecy or anything. It's just like I feel like I'd be distributing a professor's lecture verbatim without their permission.

Fair enough, I'll leave it be for now.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have a Mexican wrestling mask which I've always wanted to wear into a grappling tournament, but I think it'd probably be dangerous if the ref couldn't see my face to know whether or not I was unconscious. Obviously I would only speak in very broken spanish.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If he stood up he would immediately be making a threat display to the other guy, which would make violence certain. It would no longer be self defense, it would be Ryan Hall willingly partaking in a fight, which would be terrible for him legally.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Senor P. posted:

I hate to beat a dead horse since it's almost been a full page, but this guy gives a pretty decent write up and describes much better than I, what the problem is if you choose to remain sitting down.

I concede my point because this is a really good write up, but I still wonder how to stand up in a way that the guy doesn't perceive as a challenge.

edit: Is there a website somewhere that teaches self-defence concepts for combat athletes? That would be interesting reading.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 18, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

At work I once photocopied a resume for a 14 year old kid, and he had a "black belt in mma" listed. He had arms like twigs and looked and sounded a little bit like he might have a learning disability.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

So I'm enjoying the new Dave Camarillo book. It's written in this really dorky army-jargon way that's kind of annoying, but the content is great. On the surface it's an explanation of Camarillo's armlock game, which is pretty incredible, and uses lots of weird and interesting positions, and I'm definitely taking a few tricks from it. But what I love about is that there's quite a lot of theory about how he teaches his students to build their game, and it's different to what you hear in most places. He basically encourages you to choose one submission, get amazing at it from as many places as you can, and chase it from position to position. He also encourages you to focus your practice on positions in between the major ones that are part way into whatever submission you're following, adapt your sweeps and escapes to take you into those half-way positions. It's interesting stuff.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Kekekela posted:

Is that Submit Everyone? If so I just got it also, but haven't really checked it out.

That's the one.

McNerd posted:

Does Camarillo have advice for how lower-level practicioners should approach this? My understanding of the conventional wisdom is that you should familiarize yourself with a lot of different stuff enough to figure out what works for you, and then start to specialize as you guys have described.

The book is aimed at people who have been rolling for at least 6-12 months, I think, though it doesn't say this specifically. I'm finding it particularly informative as a person on the lower end of blue belt but I think if you're still in that early phase where you don't understand how all the pieces fit together, "Jiu-Jitsu University" by Saulo Ribiero would be a better choice.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Last night my BJJ coach opened the class by informing us he had some "next level poo poo" planned. Then we had a cartwheel competition.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My old gym had a good beginner course. It was two lessons a week for 3 months, introducing all the major positions, a couple of escapes from each bottom position, a couple of closed guard sweeps, 5 or 6 subs from the top. All the stuff they taught fit together in simple chains, and there was a decent amount of rolling. At the end of it they gave you a stripe and invited you to the intermediate class. It was good, a 6 week course might be worthwhile if it was well structured.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I realized recently that the reason that my game doesn't really do what it should, and I think it's because my game is just a mass of moves that I enjoy doing, and doesn't really have much of a goal. I'm thinking that I should start focusing on back maintenance and back attacks, and then just focus on back takes from everywhere. As a sidenote, I spend a lot of time stuck on the bottom of closed guard, and I'm thinking maybe I should switch to half guard because it seems like a better path to the back most of the time.

If you were to scrap everything you knew about grappling and start again, and choose to build a certain *type* of game, what would you choose?

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

CivilDisobedience posted:

I rebuilt my ground game a while back, here's what I learned (the short version):
- Focusing on arm drags is a good way to fix a lot of the bad habits of closed guard addiction
- Being able to take back is nice, but being able to sink clean chokes is better
- The north/south choke, guillotine, and RNC compliment each other perfectly
- Jason Scully's Back Attacks vid is a great resource https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd0e1Z4kKl4

And I'm currently working on rebuilding my standup game around uchi matas, because they're super effective, stylish and versatile

This is all very relevant to me, cheers.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You can't really make an assumptions about what a person might be wearing when they attack you (maybe you will be attacked by a naked hobo), so it seems like the most effective training for self-defense would be to train grappling with no additional handles beyond whatever your opponent's body provides.

fake edit: I think I just said that the thing missing from modern grappling is ancient Grecian Olympic wrestling dick-grab throws.

No-gi teaches you not to rely on there being easy handles on your opponent, but the flipside is that it also teaches you that you aren't covered in easy handles yourself, which you are. Assuming that you wear clothes most of the time. They're both equally applicable to self defence. No-gi gets you comfortable with the worst case scenario offensively, gi gets you comfortable with the worst case scenario defensively.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm just going to drop some thoughts here that have been running through my head lately. I'm a blue belt and I'm at least a year from my purple, so take my opinions with a grain of salt, but I'd like to hear some opinions about this stuff. If it's a bit meandering I apologize.

When I started training BJJ, I went regularly, and I had a lot of fun, but I didn't really apply myself to it mentally. I just went to class and rolled and had fun and didn't think about it much, and when I got my blue belt (which took me longer than it should have) my game was just a big mixed bag of what moves I enjoyed, I guess. A lot of stupid sweeps from the bottom, not much on top, didn't have any subs that I was particularly good at. In the last six months or so I started really applying myself mentally to improving my grappling, and I've blasted through a plateau that'd been holding me back for a long time. I didn't have a coherent gameplan really, and I started trying to piece one together. First I tried to build a Ryan Hall style triangle game, because most of my taps were triangles from the bottom. While I've definitely improved my triangles after studying them for a few months, I decided to give up after rolling with a technical fat guy who just crushed the life out of me and made me want to never attack from the bottom again.

At the moment I'm mostly pursuing back takes, back maintenance and back chokes, and it's working well for me. Ironically my relentless pursuit of the back has been keeping my opponents off-balance enough that all of a sudden my guard tricks are working again. I started obsessing over Marcelo and it's been working well for me lately, and I've realized that I'd basically spent a lot of my BJJ journey building a sub-optimal game, by just trying to get what subs I enjoy and personalizing a game to that, which I think a lot of schools encourage.

Instead of taking the free-spirit do-what-you-feel approach, I've been trying to work out what is the optimal type of gameplan to develop. It's not a thing that any of my teachers have ever really covered. So I started paying more attention to high level BJJ, and it seems to be in a weird place where MMA grappling and BJJ grappling have dramatically diverged because of the difference in rulesets and the extra positions that the gi and the lack of strikes allows. Like, it used to be "recover guard, sweep, pass guard, submit" while newer jits seems to be skip the guard passing stage and use crazy de la riva sweeps to skip the guard entirely and go straight to the back. Which is cool, because it's a more efficient way to do it, but I'd like to fight MMA eventually and it seems like that stuff isn't really MMA applicable. It seems like most of the stuff I see watching world class BJJ matches isn't relevant to me at all, really. For example, unless I've misinterpreted it, 50/50 guard only exists to exploit a bizarre IBJJF rule which disallows one style of leglock while allowing another, and would get you leglocked to infinity under different rules.

As such, I'm finding it kind of hard to find an "optimal" type of gameplan to pursue. Who are some high level grapplers whose games are applicable across grappling disciplines? If I wanted to compete in MMA, BJJ and Judo all at the same time, who should I be trying to imitate? Alternatively, what are some paragons of the various different styles of BJJ, or the masters of a particular position?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

BJJScout did a Ronda Rousey video, it's pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqBoyekp_ZY

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I quite like scramble: http://www.scramblestuff.com/

It's a little bit less obnoxious than most grappling gear. Or maybe it's more obnoxious, I forget.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Congrats FD, how long was your journey to this point? How many years at each belt? And how do you break down your training time? Lots of self-directed open mat time?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

Also will have a lot of difficulty to keep myself from buying this wonderful creation :

if I wasn't doing mostly judo where they are hidden by pants I could not stop myself

Don't be a puss, man. Just do it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I wish there was some way that they could both lose.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I care about it, but I only care about it because I dislike Eddie Bravo so much. He's a legitimate black belt and used to be a skilled competitor, but I want him to go down so that all the 10th planet nutriders will stop claiming that they're the future of BJJ and stuff. As far as I can tell it's just a BJJ school like any other, except instead of doing both gi and no-gi you do strictly no-gi, and instead of learning the entirety of BJJ you learn Eddie's gameplan and nothing else. Coupled with the move names, they're annoying. Also, he used to be in a nu-metal band and has lovely hair.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I take back some of the bad things I've said about Eddie Bravo. He is actually a high level grappler. Who knew?

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 30, 2014

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If I believed every claim made by every UFO obsessed stoner that they refused to prove, I'd look like a chump. Now that he's actually competed at black belt he gets my respect.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Chairman Kaga posted:

Have you ever competed at the black belt level?

Have you ever released an expensive jiu-jitsu DVD set that is mostly just skits and footage of your house and footage of parties?

edit: I really liked that Eddie went out of his way to do his half guard stuff and Royler went out of his way to do his old school Helio stuff. It's like, that's the real heart of what the match was about, I'm glad they stuck by it.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 31, 2014

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The most confusing Gracie is Rickson. Do I hate him? Is he cool? I don't know. This keeps me up at nights.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Amended List of Cool Gracies, 4/04/14:

:siren:Renzo:siren:
Roger
Rose
Tioki
Clark
Kyra
Rickson???

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

-Atom- posted:

I don't know if stepping on people's neck after a fight and spitting in someone's face during one makes them a 'Cool Gracie'.

I'd never heard about this. I just know that he doesn't buy into his family's marketing and he's willing to evolve, he's humble, gives credit where it's due, and is better at MMA than most. Like, if you want to know something about the family history or family politics, you'd ask Renzo, because he'll give it to you without bias and without trying to sell you anything. He's also apparently funny in two languages at once which I imagine would be tricky.

I thought the live tweeting thing was funny though.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yuns posted:

As a tangentially related side note, Carlson Jr. visited us at the main Renzo academy a week ago. I missed meeting him but most of the afternoon competition class guys met him.

While we're trying to decide if Renzo is cool or not, is the Renzo/Marcelo school rivalry a friendly thing? Do those two get along?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Work out a plan that ties together all your most successful stuff. Don't be too experimental. Your judo will be unexpected so use it to your advantage, do some epic leg trips and some super fast armbars or whatever you're into. If you're having success with your takedowns you could intentionally stand back up a few times to try and bait him into standing up with you again.

Keep your gameplan pretty simple though, don't overthink it, don't be afraid to stray from it if you see a good opportunity for something else.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Apparently he was a pretty crappy grappler until about mid-purple. He never won a single round of anything and then suddenly it all just clicked for him and he started rolling through competitions like a katamari. I would love to know how that happened.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

fatherdog posted:

It was around that time he started training full time instead of as a hobby, iirc.

So he trains 40 hours a week? That can't be it. I bet he knows One Cool Trick. Yeah, that'll be it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Probably a repost but here is a video of Josh Barnett owning a professional magic the gathering player at magic the gathering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zZzZzAuMfA

At least I think he's a MtG pro, he's definitely a starcraft pro. I don't understand the game but I still enjoyed the video.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My favourite thing to do is watch videos of world class grapplers wrecking poo poo at tournaments.

Here's Shinya Aoki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4AhdiCUXtE and here's Genki Sudo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-tkN4bFYc

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

You've made your point, and I respect you. Stop insulting me and insinuating I have no right to post here. God bless.

You have every right to post here, and you have every right to your opinions. But the rest of us have the right to treat your opinions as worthless, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

smh dude. ye blew it at the end there.

You were arguing with a black belt about BJJ while you've been training for less than a month, how do you expect people to not mock you