Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
not me brah I treat every match like the finals of the mundials and I have never, ever lost or tapped to anyone. Ever. The keys to jiu-jitsu are, in order:

bench pressing.

Tattoos.

Stylishness of your gi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

MycroftXXX posted:

Also talking about how you should be a black belt under x instructor, but you left his school cause hes like totally a stingy dick.

I know right, total dumbass. A true bjj warrior shops around for belt promotions. I mean, its all on youtube anyway, who cares.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

imtheism posted:

I train with a dude named Trevor Smith, who went to Iowa State, and was a training partner of Cael Sanderson. He's a super nice guy, strong as a gorilla, weighs 225 of pure muscle and has hips like a 145 lber, hits moves that don't even exist, and is absolutely impossible to get off the bottom on.

I'm a pretty rugged 200lber, and hold my own against the super heavyweights no problem. When he lays on me and grabs me, I break in to little tiny pieces.

Good training partner!

I've trained with a couple of OK state wrestlers and this is basically my experience. The worst was a lighter guy that decided he needed a good guard, so he worked that for awhile, becoming invincible.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Stephen Neal won it Sanderson's freshman year. He was a returning champion who also won freestyle worlds. He was so athletic that after he retired from wrestling he was invited to the Patriot's training camp even though he hadn't played football since High School. He's now a pro bowl caliber guard and has been their starter for years.

he also beat Lesnar.

and Ricky Williams in HS... drat they're like 70 pounds apart now.

I'd love to see his trophy case: "ya here is my best wrestler in the country trophy, my 3 super bowl rings, you know just general stuff."

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

can I C/P this every time Brock's wrestling credentials come up?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

more along the lines of TUF where the debate was that he would be a lovely coach because 'be a genetic freak" is not a teachable skill.

My POV is that even if Lesnar was technique wizard, he will be a lovely coach because he is an introverted person with no real interest in any kind of team.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Gomi Pile posted:

"weightlifting" is more useful for MMA than "brazilian jiu-jitsu" as evidenced by lesnar/mir II.

counterpoint: "brazilian jiu-jitsu" is more useful for mma than "weightlifting" as evidenced by Lesnar/Mir II. Where Frank Mir spent his time gaining 30 pounds, and Brock spent it learning how to pin Mr in half-guard and beat him into a coma.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

The one legged wrestler is super cool and I just had like 3 coworkers crowd around my desk to watch one of his matches.

Also, I have started keeping a training journal, after insisting I did not need it for years. I now highly recommend it, my memory and execution of new moves has really shot up since I started keeping notes. Usually, I really don't even have to reference my notebook, writing it down just crystallizes the ideas in my mind. I recommend it to everyone.

VVVV I put my book and pen in a bag hanging on my gi's coathanger, so they always come together.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 15, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

ya seeding kind of loses meaning when the top 3 guys have perfect records.

I cannot imagine being so good that I am competing at the top of a sport and have still not lost. Not dropped one match because my dog died, or felt sick and lost to another super good dude. It's just crazy.

...Then I think about doing that with one leg and my head spins.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mardragon posted:

#2 Michael Thorn, Minnesota, RS Sr. - An All-American last year, his father was a former All-American as well, he trains jiu-jitsu, I posted a video of him pulling guard in a wrestling match last year, I don't really have time to find it but he pulled guard at the end of the period to prevent the other guy getting points.

This is, this is my horse in the race. Go Guard Pulling Gophers!

Question: how much weight do these guys typically cut? Like if I weigh 155-165 what weight class is closest to my size?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Thoguh posted:

They have severely restricted weight cutting in the past decade or so, in the past you'd likely be looking at 125 or 133. Nowadays weight cutting has to be more gradual (You're only allowed to lose like 1.5% of your body weight in a week, or something like that) and they do hydration testing.

That being said, guys still do a lot of weight cutting, just not to the suicidal level people did in years past. It's pretty comparable to what an MMA guy will do. For example, our 165 pounder walks around at about 200 in the offseason.

Good lord. I'm 6ft 1, 160-ish with 6-8% body fat, I can't imagine the kind of diet and then water cutting it would take to reach a competitive weight. Granted I look more like a Wide Receiver or point guard than a wrestler or MMA fighter.

Side note: I wanted to wrestle as a kid, but my uncle was a college wrestler so my dad knew all about the weight shenanigans and said no way. If I ever have kids, I think I would make the same choice. Kind of sad since cutting weight is not actually related to grappling skill, but it's still a part of the sport.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think a couple guys from my academy are going as well. No one famous or at black belt though, so I doubt I'll see them in your writeup.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Gomi Pile posted:

there are only six moves in bjj so if it was taught in an effective way everyone would have a blackbelt in 2 months and renzo gracie wouldn't be able to be that fat anymore.

AMEN!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Why do you dislike bruno bastos? My friend trains under him and loves him. I've never met the man and couldn't pick him out of a lineup, I'm just curious what his rep is.

I didn't even realize he was that big of a guy, I guess since my friend fighters at FW, I kind of assumed bruno was smaller.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Oh, I was thinking it was some terrible personality problem or he screwed someone over. My friend is an MMA fighter and former HS wrestler, so no wonder he loves Bruno, I bet their styles match well.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

I don't think so. I assume you're american, and there seems to be a bigger sense of rivalry around here than what I'm used to, but so long as you're not some crazy spaz who is out to dojo rush the club, I'm sure no-one will mind that you show up to open mat to just get some variety in your partners. I roll with people on open mat who I've never seen before all the time, it's not that I get insulted or suspicious, it's just cool with more people to roll with. Probably wouldn't be so cool if you were some kind of secret blackbelt who is there to humiliate people, but as a beginner, who cares!

I've always said that if I was a BB, I would put on a blue belt whenever I traveled, just to get that target off my back. Maybe make it a brown or purple belt.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

also if you are very unathletic but deeply understand bjj, you may not be a very good competitor, but still deserve a blackbelt.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

fawker posted:

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23051/aprils-ufc-fan-expo-features-training-sessions-with-liddell-penn-pettis.mma

Im a lovely white belt thats only going to have trained for 2 months when this happens. Would it be worth my while to pay $150 to get subbed by BJ Penn?

Do it and try really hard not to look like/actlike/be a huge Aflictioneer poser so maybe you'll get a cool story to tell us.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

http://judoinfo.com/chokes2.htm

This is a pretty good article by a doctor.

http://judoinfo.com/chokes1.htm

The article came from this link, there are others there on various choke topics. As long as the choke is released reasonably quickly, no damage occurs.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

MuonManLaserJab posted:

Thanks for the sources guys. This, though, is what I really want some data with which to back up. Do you have a source for the "30 seconds" number, generatrix or Fatherdog?

Xguard86 posted:

http://judoinfo.com/chokes2.htm

This is a pretty good article by a doctor.

http://judoinfo.com/chokes1.htm

The article came from this link, there are others there on various choke topics. As long as the choke is released reasonably quickly, no damage occurs.

Don't read threads don't watch fights.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

MuonManLaserJab posted:

I suppose you did read those and find the "30 seconds" statistic? Did these hallucinations by any chance start after or during a BJJ class in which you were choked unconscious? I know the consensus is that chokes are safe, I just haven't seen any data about how long past unconsciousness it takes for a choke to begin causing significant damage.

It takes 10 seconds on average to render unconsciousness and 10 to 20 seconds after releasing the choke to regain consciousness. So no, it's not outright stated that 30 seconds is the limit but if it takes 10 to go out and then come to 10-20 later, 30 seconds is a decent bracket for safety.

No one has ever done a study on how long it takes to get brain damage, then die from chokes. For obvious reasons.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Senor P. posted:

Here's one video of it.

The Diaz brothers watched this clip at some point very early in their lives.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

fawker posted:

My Padilla & Sons gi just arrived last night, I tried it on and I felt like I was swimming in it. I understand that these things shrink but how should the initial fit feel?

For reference the sleeves with my arms fully extended go up to my knuckles and in the chest/shoulder area, its VERY roomy.

Should I ask for a size smaller?

My Padilla hung between my wrist and knuckle, I washed/dried it on hot and now it comes to just above my wrist. The chest was a little big and shrunk down to about right. I'm 6ft 1 about 160 and it's an A2 gold weave.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Whats the word on de la riva and the potential for knee injuries? I've always been a little hesitant about using it because it seems like a great way to hurt myself.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Hmm didn't think about that. I have long flexible legs so DLR should be good for me, and I was playing with it for awhile but I worry about exploiting my flexibility too much because I often hear about the ruined knees and backs people get from relying too much on twist and turning.

I used to always use the crazy rubber band guard, but I've made a conscious effort in the past 2 years to tone that down and work a more fundamental, simple defense/sweep/sub combo.

I've only been purple for less than a year, but I feel like I need to start building a personal game. I had some parts as a blue belt, but now I'm really trying to go back through everything and figure out where I want to focus for each position.

...poo poo's hard.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I've thought about it all day and it seems like the deep hook would keep your knee aligned with your hip, avoiding the torquing or chance for someone to come down on the knee at a bad angle. I am going to play with this tomorrow and see how it works for me.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

fawker posted:

PAblo Popovitch's physique shames even Alistair's magnificent body.

Hate to be a hater but yes I have serious doubts Pablo is anywhere near natural. More jacked than a greek statue.

Funny story: My old instructor was there when that guy died, he didn't really know what was going on, just that some guy died in his bjj match. There was mass confusion and people were pretty freaked out. Right after everything settled down he was on deck to compete, His opponent: Jacare.

I quote, "Now, of course, everyone knows that jacare is a top 5 grappler, but at the time he was not famous, so it was like a train came pretty much out of nowhere. Near the end of the match, I thought to myself, hmmm maybe there will be two deaths today."

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

what, what is this with the ridiculous twisting and...uh..uh funny zhapes? I am most ashamed, my friend. Go do ten ahmbahrs and think about what zhoo have done.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

If it gets worse, even a little, you need to take a break and let them heal. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for a nasty injury that severely effects your day to day life and takes forever to heal.

I let mine go for like six months until it separated, Bj Penn style. I couldn't even walk quickly for about 2 weeks, couldn't return to the mat until a month, and couldn't roll hard for almost another month on top of that. It was seriously a world of poo poo.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Paul Pot posted:

if it hurts during training, you're essentially looking at a longer recovery time. you're not teaching your body to adjust

ya, there is a difference between adjusting to discomfort and an injury. It might be something very minor that goes away quickly as you adjust, or it might continue and get worse. If it gets worse you should rest it earlier rather than later, because one week off is far better than having to take a month off.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

assuming you are training under a qualified teacher already, ya sure knock yourself out. If you are using these as your only source of instruction, you're really wasting your time/money because you can't just watch and learn how to grapple.

Can anyone with wrestling and/or Judo experience do a writeup for basic takedowns from those sports? Nothing crazy, just a picture and brief explanation for say the 5 most common moves. I started doing it but my takedown/throw game is so basic I don't feel comfortable acting like an authority on anything past a single leg. I want to edit it into the first posts so we have a one stop shop for when people ask about hugfights. If you are busy and only want to do one or two moves, that's fine too, I'll edit them all together.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Thanks for the Wrestling stuff and Judo Link. I will edit them into the opening posts. If anyone else wants to cover anything, I'll update that in too.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

everything is now in the OP. We need to carve that poo poo onto some tablets and seal it in jars.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

johnwayne'smom posted:

I don't want to sit in my own stew for a day with the Ketoconazole.

Haha I had the exact same thought when I read that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think you have to make a distinction between guys that just don't know better, and actual assholes. A lot of people just don't get it and will figure things out in time. A smaller number are straight up jerks with terrible ego problems. The nice thing is that the straight up jerks usually quit in a month, or remain white belts for 2 years then give up and quit.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

The nicest thing anyone has ever said to me was that he thought I was a solid 165 at least. I'm only over 155 after dinner~

Although, I've been mostly sitting on my rear end for almost 3 weeks eating oreos, so that might have changed.

everyone thinks I'm like 170 but I'm actually 155-160. Which is not super weird but I used to weigh like 145 and people stillthought I was like 170. If I ever do that cycle I've been fantasizing about, I'll be like 210 and guys will say "...about 170". Then I will choke slam them because my gorilla strength has transcended jiu-jitsu.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

fawker posted:

http://www.tri-coasta.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29858

I feel this shirt would be appropriate for someone like you ;)

I picked it up at the expo for $15 :D

haha I am putting that on my wish list. Especially since that is basically the opposite of my life.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

shizen posted:

well in no gi especially if the bigger guy is on top of me I really feel helpless.

I"m still fairly new.

I generally judge someone.

it is a math equation. Solve for X

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

fatherdog posted:

I actually feel like stronger/bigger guys are a lot harder to deal with on top in gi than no gi. In no gi you can keep fighting for the underhook and sliding out; in gi when a guy who's stronger than you gets tight grips you're really going to struggle.

also, lazy old men with retard strength and good angles have a distinctly unfair advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Neurosis posted:

When I'm on top I feel like I have to win, which probably says something about my attitude to the sport but nonetheless. :)

Over the past year I've made a concerted effort to improve my top game because it was so loose and lovely compared to everything else. I still have the bad habit of letting my mind wander and only really paying attention when I'm about to get tapped. Then I escape and sweep, only to drift again and get reversed.

As an example of how bad this is, I have gotten tapped by fresh blues in the same week I have passed a black belt's guard. I considered seeing a sports psychologist for a while, but probably not because I'm getting better about keeping engaged. Also, I've been seeing a guy about my neck and shoulders, which have had swelling and spasming for like two years. Funny how much difference that makes.

It's also kind of bad because for awhile because some guys thought I was toying with them and being kind of a jerk by always just suddenly escaping and sweeping, apparently at will. I had to explain, "no I'm just strange".