Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I remember when I got my tkd black belt I was the only kid anyone could remember who had made it from 5 to 18. And no one was coming up behind me either.

It wasn't a huge school but still a crazy small %

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Idk if it applies in judo but a lot of those wonky overhand chops in Aiko and jiu jitsu are stand-in for a sword or stick swing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I trained at a Machado school when lockdown was the hip new thing. Jean Jacque came through and showed us all how to beat it. Relatively easy if they're just holding on and have tunnel-vision on that one position.

For a good few years after, we were slicing through 10p style half guards like it was nothing, often to their total confusion to how we were doing this. Knowing JJ a little bit, I'm pretty sure it was a macro strategy to troll Eddy.

These days, with the number of years since those days and how fast information spreads, lockdown is just kind of another thing people do.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Lift, slide your foot under, then use your own heel to pressure the lock until you slip out or they let go because it can be a psuedo-ankle lock from the wrong angle. Hide your own foot after or go reverse half so they can't get it again. He called it "the button". Is that what you're thinking of?

It was also sort of the immediacy and fluidity of execution of the technique. If you start escaping before they can really tie it up, it feels magical.

Like above though; these days people know more. A lockdown half player is going to be ready for the counters. I still use it but it's not mysterious.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Some combination of Lachlan here using his feet:

https://youtu.be/xIkXPK5h-4A?si=UA9jZS5ET5oZAJjs

And John sort of sliding out once he has the angle:

https://youtu.be/VsLSCbC6-DI?si=x47i4rF48dXI9UoW

I can't find one of JJ Machado himself. John's video dates to around the same time period.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Drilling reverse DLR to kiss of the dragon leg reaps and I hit my testicle so hard on my partner's kneecap that I had to sit out for 5 minutes to recover.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

BJJ you catch too many inadvertent knees and what not. Not hard enough to injure but enough to damage your teeth if everything goes wrong. I've also bit my tongue which is no fun.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Count Roland posted:

I play jazz. Instrumental only. Hank Mobley and Art Blakey have been on for a while. Makes a nice cool atmosphere for the beginners class I teach.

This was my old coach's go-to and I think it's very underrated for bjj. Even the MMA guys we shared the space with came around.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yeah it's like checkmate. You're done, they don't actually have to take the piece. Sometimes I get weird looks, tapping early but I don't care.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

heeebrew posted:

I've had trial students throw absolute fits when I tell them no rolling for first two weeks.

Two weeks, assuming hobbyist scheduling, is only like 8-12 hours. That's basically asking someone to do a first day orientation. Maybe a good screener for attitude...

Most gyms I've trained at, new guys get specific training during rolling and no subs. Seems like a good compromise

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

You got it. Although it's also the difference in stakes. An important match or an MMA fight, maybe you risk the shoulder injury to avoid a takedown. You'll see judoka do it sometimes too.

Those are people and situations all the way on the other end of the spectrum from the average person who will probably come out ahead accepting the takedown and protecting their body.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ever since "just stand up" became the mantra of a decent sized minority of our gym, people have gotten much better at attacking and defending the turtle. At least in the sense of being active on bottom and attacking posture from the top.

Half the time my turtle "escape" is F-ing up and giving back control but then just escaping from there... But it's still fun to pretend I can wrestle.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think you're more limited by supporting your partner and baby logistically than disease exposure.

I went back ~a month after both of mine were born but I was doing the minimum number of classes and intensity for probably 6 months or so. Really only got back to full speed about 2 years after my oldest was born.

However my wife and I have no family nearby so if you have a better setup, significantly easier.

Fwiw I think it's worth it to back off jiu jitsu to be there in the early days. And if you're sleep deprived your retention and recovery are such poo poo it's sort of wasted anyway.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Gets chilly when you're in a big open room without being able to exercise to keep warm ;)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Number 3 failed before for me because it's what they want and expect you to do. Similar to other suggestions, I've been trying instead to pressure and control the hips and not really care if I pass. Most of the time you can collapse the position into something else. And I'm not a heavy guy so I think it's universally applicable.

Going for the legs or diving for their back is the most fun option. So, being honest, I do that most often.

Feels reel good to hit a step-over knee bar on upside blue belts like some kind of spetznaz super commando.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

starkebn posted:

hand fighting and prioritising freeing your knee is good enough most of the time

+1. Just make sure your hand fight is in service of freeing the knee or getting below the knee line. I see a lot of guys who don't know legs very well just kind of gripping for dear life without actively trying to escape.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Congratulations!

Anyone have any experience with training while a mallet finger injury heals? Seeing the doctor tomorrow but looking for personal experiences too. Per the Internet, people train with the splint on but I can't tell if it's "the addiction" or actually safe to do.

Same for swimming which is the other exercise I like.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yeah figured mostly no gi and not gripping with that hand. Seems like a long recovery time ... Ugh

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

a ritualized one on one fight on the soft sands of Rio de Janeiro or in the UFC.

The secret Gracie technique of hitting people in the head with a surf board.

If do right, no can defend.

Adding to the early MMA chat. They also sent Royce, the least athletically impressive brother. Would have made a different impression on US audiences if it had been Rickson or Renzo in there.

Or even further off the path. What if Rolles had lived longer and continued cross training wrestling. Would that have changed anything about how BJJ developed?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I live in the area but out west. Renzo school is good. Highly recommend. You've got vagner's place as well in Hollywood

Vagner Rocha Martial Arts
(954) 432-8788

https://g.co/kgs/XCsGXAj

I know a lot of people don't like him but he seems to be well regarded by his student.

Buddy started a gym in Dania Beach if you want something smaller.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/yjX1Yai9wn63Hbob9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Haha our school library had Putin's judo book. I think I picked up an osoto tip there.