Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

RobBorer posted:

Also it may be good to link to some grappling videos to show people how cool this sport can be. For instance.

That's not a real grappling match though since that guy wasn't a black belt in BJJ. Some good matches between high level guys are at the Grapplers Quest youtube.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fatherdog posted:

A) Yes he was
B) Even if he wasn't how would that make it "not a real grappling match"

Oh I was under the impression he was some Judo guy or whatever. And it wasn't "real" as in the high level matches are slower paced than this. and not as funny.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Why don't you do BJJ if you want to compete in BJJ? gently caress.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Oh Em Gee posted:

Why the gently caress did the Gracies wrestle? To get better at it and to improve. Some guys like a challenge, and want to prove their style of grappling (sambo, catch wrestling, judo etc) is just as effective and relevant as BJJ so why not go and prove it on their grounds? IIRC Josh Barnett absolutely beasted through the IBJFF No-Gi world champions even though they specifically had banned two of Josh's main weapons, neck cranks and heel hooks (correct me if I'm wrong, just going off of memory) and he absolutely destroyed everyone he faced.

Yea but he's obviously starting out so it's not he's supplementing his BJJ with Judo you big tard.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Acinonyx posted:

Do yourself a favor and get a mouth guard from your dentist. Best $20 I ever spent. People don't even know I have it in because it fits so well and doesn't affect my breathing or speech (mine is just the upper).

What the gently caress?? Did your insurance cover it or something? My mouthguard going to be $300 because insurance doesn't cover it. But boy howdy am I excited to get that thing.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gomi Pile posted:

I thought just the upper didn't provide any protection against having your brains scrambled.

Most boxers still use uppers only. You're getting much less shock to your head doing BJJ so you should be a ok.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Senor P. posted:

I don't mean to be an rear end but what kind of mouthguard are you getting?

Originally I asked for one and they quoted me one at a similar price. (It was some special mouthpiece with boxing in mind. Very beefy, judging by the catalogue photos.)

The next time I went and asked they were offering a 'sport guard' (IE stays in your mouth on the uppers, used in numerous sports.) Much cheaper.

Yeah that's why yours was cheap. I'm getting a triple layer one that's made for getting punched, elbowed, kneed, etc in the face. If I was just grappling a boil and bite would be enough for me.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

I've heard some US folks say they've gotten ones done for as low as $100. In other words, gently caress Massachusetts.

gently caress New Jersey too. Well more gently caress Aetna for not covering at least the first one.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Didn't Jonathon Torres get his Black Belt in something like 4 years? He was also in high school at the time and not rich so I like his fast black belt story better than BJ's.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fatherdog posted:

$220/month.

The advanced class on Monday had five black belts, three brown belts, eight purples, and ten blues. That's pretty average for a Monday.

Is that Almeida's school?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fawker posted:

Im pretty sure I strained my quad at class monday, Its stiff as hell and theres pain when its bent (like when im sitting on a chair).

Would I be an idiot if I went to class or should I just stay home and continue icing it while feeling sorry for myself.

Go to class and sit on the sidelines. You can still learn.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fawker posted:

^^^ on that note...
I grappled with some filthy highschool kid the other day, I made sure to to home asap and shower right away, but I've broken out in these weird pimples in random places (my thigh, neck, arms, shoulders). I'm already using antibacterial soap. Is there anything else I can do other than not rolling with that filthy rear end in a top hat to prevent a Randleman-like disaster?

Use baby wipes at the gym or if you can afford them the defense soap wipes.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What dokomoy said. JT is really loving good. Really nice guy too so you'll definitely learn a lot if you ask.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Like I said in the A/T thread "fight/i train goon meet"? I know for a fact none of my friends will want to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

This is the thing I like about BJJ. I guess since there isn't as much immediate danger when guys are confirmed as good by getting a belt all the lower guys will go at you. In boxing you win the gloves or something and the lower guys will spar with you like a deer in headlights.

Also congrats dokomoy.