Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Sprecherscrow posted:

Did they really put the dude from Renzo Gracie Mexico and Cummings on the same side of the bracket? Fuckers.

They put Cummings and Tonon in the same bracket the last time they competed in the same class, too. It's an active policy on their part, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gay Horney posted:

tbh I think the combat jiu jitsu wss mostly a response to the Danaher Death Squad and their ridiculous leg lock attacks that are predicated upon putting yourself in a position that doesn't make any sense in an actual fight. Now that a defense to that has appeared organically I don't think that's going to be pushed quite as hard.

A) It's only for the superfights, so no, it's not a response to anything Danaher's guys are doing

B) The only position the leglock stuff happening tonight is really predicated on is seated guard, which has been happening in tournaments from time immemorial. If you think Gio was ever in a position to be punching Eddie while in leglock danger you have some serious misconceptions about the way your hips can move when you're in a full knee-thread.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

YES this is the feeling exactly.

I trained with one guy who was exactly like that, told me "use technique not strength," but seeing as the guy can bicep curl out of an armbar, I don't think he knews a goddamn thing about being in that predicament.

If someone is bicep curling out of your armbar, one of two things is happening -

A) You're trying to pull one of his arms with both of yours instead of using your back, which will work on guys closer to your size but is still the wrong technique
B) He can bicep curl more than you can deadlift, in which case you need to either stop rolling with Mariusz or do some basic physical conditioning work.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Any Nashville goons in here? There is a Gracie Barra academy less than half a mile from my apartment and I forget if that's the lovely "blue belt through the mail" hogshit.

That's Gracie Academy. Gracie Barra has a lot of strong sales techniques but the instruction is solid across the board.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Skjorte posted:

Then again, he once thought he could fix my scoliosis via massage and acupuncture, and recommended that I drink boiled ginger for a few months because my tongue looked depressed

Get a new doctor.