Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

imtheism posted:

Also, there are a lot of crappy blackbelts out there now. Getting a BB in bjj 10 years ago was an amazing amount of work. Even 5 years ago, getting a BB from a respected teacher was pretty tough. While still better than pretty much any other martial art, the bjj lineage is starting to break down and become more about making money/belt factories for the masses than it is staying true to the sport.

Yeah, this is pretty much bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The thing about gift belts in BJJ is that pretty much everyone knows who gives them. Gene Simco is a joke in the BJJ world. Although Joe Moreira is a legitimate black belt, he's had multiple questionable promotions to the point that anyone has questions about a Joe Moreira black belt. The community is still fairly small.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

generatrix posted:

I don't have any sources right now, but It's my understanding that when talking about blood chokes (which are the vast majority in MMA and most grappling disciplines), losing consciousness is safe. Holding the choke for about 30 seconds after loss of consciousness can start to cause brain damage, and holding it for about three minutes could cause death. Competitors will get in major poo poo for holding it a few seconds past the ref calling it, so even in cases of someone being a malicious dick the times don't even come close to the "causing damage" stage.

This is pretty much the current state of research. There have been quite a few studies on judoka, but a lot of them are japanese so they're difficult to find in english.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The earliest that brain cells have been recorded as dying from cerebral hypoxia is five minutes, so while I haven't seen any hard and fast research that thirty seconds in a choke is safe, I feel fairly confident in making the assumption, particularly with the mountains of anecdotal evidence.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MuonManLaserJab posted:

Getting older definitely causes brain damage, yet is reputed to be safe.

Getting older isn't safe; it's just safer than the alternative.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Attention SoCal goons -

quote:

UFC veteran Mark Schultz is holding a wrestling clinic focusing on takedowns for both wrestling and mixed martial arts.

The clinic will be held Wednesday, April 20, from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the wrestling room at Santa Ana High School in Santa Ana, Calif.

The clinic is completely free of charge. You don’t need to be a member of any wrestling or mixed martial arts organization. There are no requirements other than to show up.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Chexoid posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRAMnY95Sx8&feature=player_detailpage#t=23s

If you really hate me and wanna see me lurch around like a retard then get choked in my first every grappling match then peep this vid.

Bonus points for my amazing side control defense of grabbing his legs and praying.

(music added by a friend)

Also can anyone tell what he got me with? You cant really tell in the video but it was some weird gi choke

Get a haircut, hippie

(It was a bow-and-arrow choke, ask your coach about it)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mobn posted:

This is the correct video for uchi mata http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1asYLNJgdw

Came here to post that

Speaking of the olympics, Rulon Gardner may be competing again. I'm dubious about what kind of competitive shape he can get in at his current stage in life, but I have no idea what the international greco scene looks like these days.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gomi Pile posted:

he hasn't been very active in competitions in the last few years because he's "training for mma" which means beating up goons in a gym somewhere.

This was true for like a year in 2008 when he was training at ATT, then he got tired of DREAM telling him every single event "You'll be fighting on this one!" and then never calling him, so he moved back to NYC and started winning tournaments again.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Hey, uh, how much do you weigh bro?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Oh yeah, makes sense. I'm only 168. You're still pretty good though.

No, Gomi Pile is 172. I'm around 225 on a good day.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Also when people ask me how much I weigh in the middle of the roll it is the cue for me to sub them from the bottom for the next five minutes

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I actually feel like stronger/bigger guys are a lot harder to deal with on top in gi than no gi. In no gi you can keep fighting for the underhook and sliding out; in gi when a guy who's stronger than you gets tight grips you're really going to struggle.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

nemoulette posted:

So ADCC just confirmed two superfights in September (I might be going depending on another goon :unsmith: ). Sperry/Renzo which should be hilarious, and a Royler/Eddie Bravo rematch which is just dumb but funny.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=216445948384474&id=150595014969568

Keep in mind that ADCC has a history of announcing matches that never pan out so don't get your hopes up too much. Renzo retweeted this though so at least that side of things seems solid.

I'm kinda surprised they got Sperry, though; I've heard that he's been busy running his import/export business and only training once or twice a week.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gomi Pile posted:

isn't mario sperry like 50? and fat?

Sperry and Renzo are both 44. Mario's gonna be about 230 according to Renzo; whether that's 230 of fat or 230 of middle-aged muscle I have no idea because I haven't seen recent pictures of the dude in years.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The stream for ADCC (the last couple, anyway) only had one mat at a time, though, so you're basically only seeing about a tenth of the tournament live. They release the whole thing on DVD sets afterwards, though.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Pocket Billiards posted:

Do they still have the lovely music dubbed over them?

Not since 2003; everything since then has just the sound of the matches, and crappy commentary for the finals

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Cool guard stuff, my guard is very bad and I should feel bad. One thing I'm trying to do much more is use bump sweeps to set up stuff, trying to minimize the time people spend postured up in my guard while I don't do anything.

Another thing to look for both for posture control and to set up attacks, particularly in the gi is to get an underhook and anchor your arm to your body either by gripping across your stomach or your far hip in no gi or a lapel with the gi.

I'm pretty sure you mean "overhook" here, or else I'm real confused.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Hughes and Newton did so pre-Zuffa, but GSP, Diego, Kurt Pellegrino, Okami, and some more people I can't remember have all done so while under Zuffa contract.

The deal is they don't care if employees take part in grappling competitions, but they don't take ADCC into account at all when scheduling fights, so guys often have to pull out of the tournament due to it not fitting into their training camp schedule.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Roger is confirmed for the -99kg division.

Also,

quote:

No sooner has it been announced than it is in jeopardy - the long-awaited rematch between Royler Gracie and Eddie Bravo is already on the rocks.

It was reported last week that the two had agreed to meet at this year’s ADCC grappling championship finals in a re-run of their 2003 match which ended with the underdog Bravo submitting Gracie with a triangle.

“Five days after accepting rematch Royler now asking for [$50,000] just to show up,” Bravo wrote on his 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu website earlier.

“I just got off the phone with vice president of ADCC Guy Nievens and he told me that Royler just called him and is now asking for 50k just to show up plus the 25k win bonus. I have no idea why he's now asking for all that cash up front all of a sudden, 5 days after agreeing to the rematch and after doing interviews for Atame and Gracie Mag saying that “Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice.

“ADCC is refusing to pay the 50k show money. So my business manager is gonna set up a Royler relief paypal account asap. If 5,000 people donate just $10 the rematch is on.”

With no chance of the ADCC (Abu Dhabi Combat Club) paying the money, the match seems currently up in the air. Royler’s previously agreed purse is unknown but the ADCC pays well and will likely have offered a good sum for a rematch that fans around the world have wanted to see for years.

More news as we get it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

is roger known for pulling all the classic gracie bullshit? or is he considered "one of the good ones?"

Roger has spent the last years fighting and beating anyone and everyone in grappling, and he's accepted every fight offered him in mma.

Please note also that Renzo isn't demanding more money to fight Sperry despite a fifty pound weight advantage.

There's a big difference between the Renzo side of the family and the Royce/Royler/Rickson Gracie Humaitá branch.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fawker posted:

Marcelo Garcia is also confirmed for 77kg, what are the odds of him NOT winning it?

Pretty low, I would imagine

quote:

And what are the odds of the absolute finals not being Roger/Marcelo...

Depends on the brackets, and also if Jacare or Drysdale will be in them.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

whats the word on braulio as far as if he's competing this time?

He won the Absolute last time so in theory he should be in a superfight with the winner of last year's superfight, which was Jacare. Whether that's actually happening with Jacare's (presumable) mma commitments I've no idea.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fawker posted:

How do the superfights work? If they fight in the superfight, are they also a part of the regular bracket and thus eligible for the absolute brackets?

The two guys fighting in the superfight aren't part of the regular or absolute brackets, they just do the superfight. Or at least that's the way it's always been in the past.

The winner of last event's superfight vs the winner of last event's absolute (although there's frequently cancellations, they usually try to get a previous year's absolute or superfight winner to replace.)

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

Braulio's coming off neck surgery and just started training hard again so I don't know if he's confirmed to fight yet.

His brother just told graciemag that Braulio's pulling out of the 2011 Worlds to "save himself for ADCC" so it looks like we'll see him in the superfight. No word on Jacare yet.

Also Popovitch just confirmed on twitter that he's going to be in the 88kg division this year, which pretty much everyone was expecting with the new weigh-in rules.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

the periodic fable posted:

edit
Oh and this is what the arena looks like:

And this is what it'll look like on the day of the tournament

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Excellent stuff, dokomoy.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Why would someone who doesn't know anything about BJJ automatically picture a guy wrapping his legs around another guy when you say "guard"?

Well for one thing, it's described in detail in the OP

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KryonikMessiah posted:

Don't see the big deal. I'm more annoyed by annoying gimmick posters who post twice in a row and decline to edit their posts than someone calling Judo techniques by the name they are taught as by every governing body out there. 30 posts for this poo poo. Really.

If someone had said "because those are the standardized terms for the throws internationally" rather than spending their time arguing that it was a stupid question perhaps there would have been fewer posts made about it. Just a theory.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

Nothing sickens me more than your stupid double posting which you just can't seem to stop despite repeated warnings.

See what henkman did?

Way to continue the argument you were complaining about after everybody else stopped.

In case this isn't clear enough, shut up and stop backseat modding. This is the grappling thread, talk about grappling, not about how much other posters' posting style annoys you or how they shouldn't be asking questions about grappling in the grappling thread.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Harbison from Lloyd irvin just took nate diaz out with a bow-and-arrow choke

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Welp, looks like Royler's out -

quote:

From Royler Gracie:

To all my Fans.

Here is the truth regarding my potential participation in an ADCC Super Fight: I received a call from my cousin, Renzo, who told me that ADCC was interested in having me participate in their September event. I told him that it would be a pleasure for me to once again compete for the ADCC organization. Renzo said that ADCC Vice President Guy Nievens would contact me to negotiate the terms of my contract, including the purse for the match. The following day, the ADCC website reported the match and several media outlets contacted me. I stated that it would be great to once again train hard for a grappling match and that I was confident that we would be able to enter into a contract. At that point no details had been discussed nor had I even spoken with anyone from the ADCC organization regarding this match.

Guy Nievens called me several days later to negotiate the contract terms for the match. In my experience, these negotiations are always confidential. The very next day, I was shocked to learn that Mr. Nievens had disclosed certain details of our conversation to the public. Perhaps Mr. Nievens was attempting to trick me into entering into an unfair contract? Regardless of his motivation, it is deplorable that someone working for Sheik Tahnoon would, in my opinion, behave in such an unethical, unprofessional and disrespectful manner. The Sheik is a distinguished man who has been instrumental in the growth of submission wrestling throughout the world. Mr. Nievens’ actions show, in my opinion, an inability to perform his duties as VP of ADCC and unworthiness to represent the Sheik.

Everyone knows that I am a fighter. I have never shied away from a challenge. Since I was 6 years old, I have fought hundreds of matches for free, just for the love of the sport. I have fought under sport jiu-jitsu rules, judo rules, submission wrestling rules, MMA rules and many times without any rules. I have faced opponents sometimes twice my size. Cowardice is not a word in mine or my family’s vocabulary. Throughout my almost 40 year career, I achieved the pinnacle of my sport, including seven world titles. When fighting in a professional event, after years of dedication, it is only fair and appropriate for me to ask for a reasonable purse that reflects my successful career in the ring and my unimpeachable conduct as a professional athlete. Everyone who knows me understands that I will show up to any event well prepared. This entails me having to stop teaching classes and seminars for approximately two months with great financial cost to my family and me. All I am asking is for the ADCC organization to cover these expenses. I am still confident that the Abu Dhabi organization will treat me with the respect that I have earned and will come through with this match in the name of all our loyal fans and supporters

Royler Gracie

Official response from ADCC to Royler Gracie letter:

Royler is a true champion of ADCC with an unbeaten three world titles to his name, a true legend.

ADCC goal since 1998 has been to promote Submission Fighting worldwide, having success now with Federations in more than fifty countries. A few months ago ADCC committee decided it would generate more interest in the sport to promote some veteran matches- Renzo Gracie and Mario Sperry is now confirmed, and the idea of a rematch between Royler Gracie and Eddie Bravo seemed a natural re-match.

ADCC secured sponsorship for the prize money for each fight $25000 however, it turned out Royler wanted $50000 just to appear plus the $25000 if he won, that would be $75000 for a senior grappling match! ADCC attempted to secure more sponsorship, until now with no success. Thereafter it was decided that we cannot offer more to veterans than we do to our current superfight contenders Jacarre and Braulio.

It should be noted ADCC is a non-profit making organization with the sole intent to make it a worldwide sport. However we would love to still see this fight go ahead.

Both Royler who has competed three times and thousands of other fighters who have competed in ADCC are aware there has never been any contract between ADCC and any fighter, it is a tournament attended by invitation or qualification. ADCC will continue to promote the sport of submission fighting with the aim getting the respect and support it surely deserves.

Guy Neivens
ADCC

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

While thanking people, Marcelo joked: “I want to thank my team, my friends and Steven Seagal, who taught me some of the moves I did in there”.

:laffo:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dante posted:

Haha poor guy, but I can understand him being bitter about the 50/50. Almost every single new positional innovation in jiujitsu has been called a stalling technique, then people figure it out and it's okay. There were calls to have the spider guard banned and in the early 90s they threw shoes at people who went for leg locks in competition.

To be fair, the 50/50 isn't necessarily a stalling technique, but the times it's been used to beat Cobrinha it's sure as hell been used as one.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Huh, apparently Bigfoot Silva is gonna be in ADCC this year.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

At ADCC 2009 Saulo Ribeiro and Romulo Barral both fought at 99kg+ despite walking around somewhere between 190-200 lbs. I hope Rodrigo Cavaca gets an invite to ADCC, I think his style would translate pretty well no-gi.

Plus I think Cyborg is in the 99+ this year again

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Is there much in the way of weight cutting for the ADCC?

There's gonna be a lot less this year; the new rules have you weighing in like an hour before your first match, and the judges can request a second weigh-in (with a 2kg allowance) at any time during the competition.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

This makes it more fair right? Or is it one of those things that everyone despises and says it ruins the comp?

Well, it applies to everybody, so it's fair in that regard. It sucks a little more for people who naturally fall between weight classes (since in adcc there's a 22 pound spread between classes) but any system with weight classes is rough that way.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
hahahah Jared Rosholt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

It would never happen for a lot of reasons, but I've always said that they should do before/after weigh ins and if you are too far off either it's a DQ or has some other negative consequence.

That's what they're doing. At any point during the tournament judges can request a second weigh in, and if you're more than 2kg off you're DQed.