Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

It's a useless term used by people who are afraid of fun and terrified of innovation. People who want to shut down possibilities before they've even been given a chance.

"gotch ya"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Opal fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 22, 2011

Opal
May 10, 2005

My favourite is the sambo calf slice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqcOy_RW6A

There's also another one that Stepha Kesting did in his Unorthodox Positions & Attacks that i can't remember the name of now but it's basically an Achilles in which you trap his other leg as well and then thread them over each other. It's more or less a pain lock as I recall but you can get some fantastic torque on it

Opal
May 10, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

I was at that seminar, he called it the "leg weave". It was basically an achilles lock + kneebar at the same time. Cool technique although I can't really say I've used it since then.

haha yes, that's it. I've hit it a couple of times but more for fun than anything else, though I have more success with it from standing up outside the opponent's guard

Opal
May 10, 2005

ahaha, I did actually mentally remark on it when I saw it ages ago, that's really funny.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Yes. Somersault calf slice from top half guard is the most baller submission though.

The second lock you're talking about may be a cross heel hold? One of Volk Han's favorites. Move 3 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKMg7B1jck8 (fake edit: ok now I see it was answered but the cross heel hold rules too)

I think it's pretty much the same lock, though it seems people cross their legs differently or don't cross them at all

What's the somersault calf slice? I thought it would be this but I misremembered it, turns out it was a regular toehold

Opal
May 10, 2005

Who Gotch Ya posted:

From the top of half guard, flatten the guy out. [...]
OK I found one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSI5x3BO_K4

Haha, that definitely owns quite a bit, I'll be sure to test it out next time I roll

Opal
May 10, 2005

the quality is nice but the intro is almost two minutes long and lots of black screen at the end for basically two minutes of actual highlight material. pretty poor for a two-day event

Opal
May 10, 2005

Taratang posted:

Seems to be the season for belt promotions. I was given my purple by Braulio on Saturday, very happy right now. :)

Congrats!

Opal
May 10, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

So I guess I haven't seen this before. A dogbar, apparently? http://www.graciemag.com/en/2012/02...nternational%29

They're possible from bottom half-guard as well but kinda tough to sink properly because there's so much room to twist and turn.

Opal
May 10, 2005

You're also making weird logical connections, like dokomoy said him staying seating has nothing to do with BJJ and everything to do with not wanting to escalate the situation. Remaining seated = not presenting a threat, standing up = getting in his face = immediate threat. If anything it's evidence FOR grappling (any kind) that you can remain seated and still feel comfortable taking the eventual fight where you want it to go.

It sounds like you personally have had bad experiences with people claiming to teach self-defense and then you went ahead and applied to all grappling in general.

That aside I do agree that the second part was kind of weird, it seemd like the guy was calming down and then Ryan basically assaulted him from behind out of nowhere, not sure I agree that that was called for. Again though that is still personal judgement and not BJJ.

Opal
May 10, 2005

beadgc posted:

I train BJJ in a medium-sized city in Sweden. My BJJ-club moved into a brand new gym together with the local Muay Thai-club and coinciding with the opening an MMA-club was started as well.

Muay Thai is really popular, with lots of people in their classes, and MMA, at least starting out, was very popular, though the amount of people training these days seem to be waning a bit.

Meanwhile, our BJJ-club is struggling somewhat to add new members. I'm wondering if this is something other BJJ practicioners have noticed as well? My guess is that BJJ might be a bit more obscure and not as mainstream as Muay Thai and MMA, which has gotten really popular lately. Maybe the fact that you train in a gi can be off-putting to some people as well?
We have a very friendly and open atmosphere, the trainer and higher belts are very devoted to everybody's development and the new people who find their way to our classes are welcomed with open arms.

What are your thoughts on this? What does your club do to attract and keep new members? Have you had any success in attracting women to your grappling classes?

I think Sweden has an especially high turnover rate on MMA practicioners so even though it may seem super popular I doubt many of the those faces will be around a year from now. Conversely BJJ fighters tend to be fewer but more loyal to the sport and stick around for longer, at least that has been my experience.

I train at Fight Zone in Stockholm and they seem be mostly about a good atmosphere and access to some high quality seminars etc due to being part of Checkmat. We're almost 2/3 guys and 1/3 girls if not even more but I can't say exactly what they're doing to attract them. I assume having some in the first place helps in order to get more. :)

Opal
May 10, 2005

maybe that's why they're called traditional martial arts??

Opal
May 10, 2005

It happened to me in my first ever grappling match, the same lock too actually, didn't feel any pain at all and continued to do four more matches but the next morning my arm was completely locked in position since my elbow had swollen up. Some little thing inside had broken off apparently. Still didn't hurt much though it took about a week for the swelling to go down.

Opal
May 10, 2005

It's gonna own if Nick doesn't pull out or something

Opal
May 10, 2005

So the Abu Dhabi World (gi) Championships is coming up this weekend, does anybody have an idea of how to catch it? Nemoulette gave me this link earlier http://www.livep2pstream.com/tv_channels/a/abu_dhabi_sports.php but it looks so-so.

Opal
May 10, 2005

owns

edit: that's 8 Saturday morning, right?

Opal fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 12, 2012

Opal
May 10, 2005

I don't think "shower immediately after practice" is new to anybody

e: Do your gyms not have showers for some inexplicable reason?

Opal
May 10, 2005

I'm surprised they're still trying to paint Braulio as some kind of weasel attempting to build an MMA career off of a win over Nick Diaz in a completely unrelated competition, I would have thought he commanded more respect than that

e: I mean this whole section is just a mess of false assumptions and leaps of logic unless I'm missing something major:

Cesar Gracie posted:

I called Junior who assured me Estima would not be fighting in mma and that he had spoken with him and been assured he had given up on the idea of ever fighting. Junior reiterated, “Cesar I spoke with Braulio, the guy is in his 30′s, he has a family and doesn’t want to live that type of life at this stage in his life…etc”

I repeated this info to Nick. A week or so later it was all over the Internet that Braulio had joined the “Blackzillians” and was training for an mma fight. We had been lied to. Furthermore it was evident that Nick’s sole condition that he not go against a wanna be mma guy was violated and this was in fact an attempt by Braulio to ignite an mma career.Nick was to have been accurately portrayed as a fighter returning to his BJJ roots. He had even agreed to give his entire purse to charity; St Jude’s Children’s Hospital for kids with cancer. If you know the story of Ralph Gracie’s son you would understand why this charity was chosen. Nick’s name having been added to this event had saved it but now it was clear he was to be the patsy, not respected but used.

Opal fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 15, 2012

Opal
May 10, 2005

Willing to bet that the word 'restrained' is an exaggeration

Opal
May 10, 2005

Just got around to watching footage from the 2012 Mundials, pretty great overall and I enjoy having commentary but I can't help feel it's pretty disrespectful to be chatting poo poo to guests about whatever during finals matches.

I get that it's an honour to have Braulio sit in but maybe they could ask him for additional commentary and thoughts on the match going on rather than his brother Victor's matches and theorycrafting on the comparative strengths of Roger Gracie. I don't think they uttered a single word of commentary on Nicolini vs Marina Ribeiro which was one of the most exciting matches I'd seen up until then. They even had Ronda Rousey on for some reason during Letecia's fight talking about judo and MMA which felt really out of place.

Opal
May 10, 2005

49 pictures of look at that dudes crotch it's like riight up in his face lol

Opal
May 10, 2005

There's plenty of videos dealing with a certain thing but I guess you gotta look for them. Ryan Hall has one about the triangle and Stephen Kesting has loads on leglocks.

Opal
May 10, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

Apparently this is the full card:

20 minute gi matches, no points, submissions only :getin:

Does Ryron Gracie actually compete much? I don't doubt that he's really really good, but given that Galvao consistently competes and wins at the highest levels, it seems like a bit of a mismatch.

When what where is this?

Opal
May 10, 2005

You can still finish the d'arce in half-guard, the angle of your body doesn't matter that much as long as you make sure that his arm is actually properly tucked underneath his chin to compress the artery. The thing is that it's easier to jimmy it in there if it wasn't already when you are able to move around more but it's not impossible.

Opal
May 10, 2005

No pants for you!

Opal
May 10, 2005

As opposed to the guy shoved against the cage desperately trying to sweep while taking thousands of elbows and punches? Not saying I agree with Generic Gracie #5273 but I'm not sure what you're arguing

Opal
May 10, 2005

Novum posted:

I love how in LobsterMobs link the guy literally dry humps his partner's rear end for about 15 seconds and it's totally not weird. No one believes me when I tell them just how homoerotic fighting is.

Grow up.

Opal
May 10, 2005

But to be serious for a moment, you're just playing along right?

Opal
May 10, 2005

It didn't really seem to work out that well for the other guy.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Also don't be afraid to literally to take somebody aside and ask them to sit down with you for a bit and let you choke them. That would allow you to experiment and they could give you first-hand input on what is working and what is not. Just make sure it's somebody who knows how to defend it. :)

Opal
May 10, 2005

It's a BJJ and no-gi tournament set up by Lloyd Irvin's rape gym to help their star student gain publicity (and offer some other guys the chance to win some money I guess).

It helps to watch the first one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xba4HKplHQA

Opal
May 10, 2005

nemoulette posted:

you could say it's a high percentage move :cool:

lol

Opal
May 10, 2005

ch3cooh posted:

I wonder if the IBJJF and UFC will step up and ban Lloyd Irvin and anyone competing under his name from competing.

I doubt it very much but I hope that the reaction from the community is strong enough that they won't have to.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

It sure does create a clear villain in any tournament, I wonder if any of the big teams will take matches off against each other or try to set match pairs up so they can squeeze irvin's crew out.

Well I was more thinking of a member exodus until the gym itself is irrelevant as a competitive team. We just need to spread awareness of what the hell is going on with them so that new practictioners can opt for something else. Sadly I doubt that other organisations will take any definitive action unless it's in their own interest but maybe I'm being cynical.

Opal
May 10, 2005

What a oval office

Opal
May 10, 2005

Weren't they purple only like a year or two ago?

Opal
May 10, 2005

Assholes.

Opal
May 10, 2005

That sucks man, best of luck with the healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

I don't know who Rasul Chunayev is, but I enjoy his fancy dancing post-wrestling victory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZZAKCD8FZM

Well that was amazing.