Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Bohemian Nights posted:

Hooray! A new grappling thread.

I have a question; I have ridiculously flexible knees and ankles and so I've never been caught in any kind of kneebar or ankle lock and I've always managed to twist out of it or out-anklelock them. Because of this, I've usually told opponents after rolling that getting a leg lock on me will be very hard, and that if they don't get it it's probably not from bad technique, just my body being broken. The result of this is usually that people stop going for leg locks on me, and welp, that seems kind of detrimental to everyone involved. Should I just start keeping my mouth shut.

when i spar with people i tell them they shouldnt take their hands away from their head because i hit really really hard. this has resulted in people never punching at me. this seems detrimental to everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

Just please do not use submissions 101. They are popular but riddled with errors or techniques done at a blue belt level.

Funny story, my old instructor started training back in the mid 90's. He won most technical submission at a tournament. The submission: triangle choke. He told us that the blue belts in his academy now were basically on par with brown belts back then. His first trip to brazil, he said he couldn't hook flip old man white belts. This sport has really exploded.

that sub101 guy released a dvd in which all his takedowns are performed by bending 90 degrees at the waist and running forward. it was amazing.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

MycroftXXX posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eusZGjMaW5g

Even the british are shaking their heads at that double.

the answer to this takedown is always mobnsprawl to imada choke

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_J_rr8hT-k&feature=related

i am going to give up solid back control with an arm under your neck to choke you with the power of satan

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

shizen posted:

so why is it that wrestlers are massive/muscular compared to bjj competitors who have very little size? I mean they both primairly just do grappling, yet wrestlers seem to look in tremendously better shape. I notice it in mma also that wrestlers just are a lot bigger/stronger then the bjj guys.

I've only been grappling for a bit but the bigger guys tend to throw me around much easier, so would think strength would help.

Is it just that the sport is new so you don't have better athletes in the sport yet? Or does that size/strength not help in same way that it does in wrestling?

Wrestlers are encouraged to lift weights in their collegiate athletic programs, and BJJ was founded by a family of anemic Brazilians who consume nothing but fruit.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Please note how Arona and Jacare became very successful by being the only Brazilians ever to work out.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I'm having trouble picturing finishing an RNC without using my other hand do drive their head forward into it. Otherwise my arm is long enough that they have too much space for it to be effective. Are you applying pressure with your chest or shoulder to drive it, or are your proportions just perfect to get the right amount of squeeze just grabbing your shoulder with the one arm?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My RNC technique is pretty bad, which is probably why I don't think I could finish it one handed.

Once I get my arm under their chin, I do the standard hand-on-bicep grip, and put my free hand on the back of their neck. I push forward with that hand, and squeeze my bicep on the choking arm to add more pressure. If I don't do these two things, my arms are long enough that there's free space in there and I don't get enough pressure on the arteries.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

henkman posted:

People don't walk around on the sidewalk wearing Gis, sorry. In Nogi and MMA you'll be used to having grips that aren't there.

People walk around on the sidewalk wearing jackets, pants, shirts, etc.

And training in the gi forces you to be way more technical about guard passing, going for subs, etc, and this improved technique carries over to no gi.

If you only trained no gi you may very well have a deficiency in your technique due to the comparative ease of passing and locking in subs when you're all lubed up with sweat.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

RobBorer posted:

I haven't done any training for a year. My brother wants me to teach him some boxing so I my stuff out. My mouthpiece doesn't fit as perfectly as it used to, should I just re-boil and bite or do I need to buy a new one?

They usually reboil fine, but if it doesn't, they're only like 99 cents at wal-mart anyway.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Open rolling was probably the biggest component of class in the gym I went to. We would learn and drill a new technique for 20 minutes, and then it was open rolling split up by weight for 30+ minutes. The coaches would wander around watching, giving advice, and sometimes jumping in to instruct someone on a technique they were trying.

That class structure sounds like the BJJ equivalent of cardio kickboxing.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

shizen posted:

I've noticed having a strong grip helps a ton. Guys who can just control my wrist easily make it really hard to do anything, in gi I'd imagine be even stronger to have a good grip. So what are some good exercises that any of you guys do to strengthen the grip? My neck is really starting to get strong now been doing the neck bridges for a month+ now and never get a sore neck and actually can escape chokes easier it seems. Yet my grip is still pathetic and I need to get stronger grip to prepare for gi training also especially.

Fill a bucket with rice, plunge your hands in and get good big fistfuls and just squeeze as hard as you can until you can't squeeze anymore. Rest, repeat.

If you lift weights, pick up some heavy dumbbells or a heavily loaded barbell and just hang onto them for as long as you can. With the dumbbells you can even walk with them for distance, which is called a farmer's walk.

Buy these: http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/Main/captainsofcrush.html and squeeze that poo poo closed and hold it closed until (you guessed it) you can't hold it closed any more. Once you're too tired to close it, use both hands to get it closed and then hold it closed with your lone hand.

edit: forgot, you can do plate pinches too. Just get a pair of plates, stick them face to face, and then pinch them between your thumb and fingers and hold them up for as long as you can.

You can also do hub lifts where you get a thick bar (like the collar of a barbell or something), load it up with weight, and then hold it up by pinching the end between your fingers. These pinching exercises probably won't transfer to BJJ quite as well, but if you want to be well rounded, they're nice.

Oh, you can also do towel pullups and also just statically hanging from a pullup bar for time. Towel pullups will absolutely wreck your forearms.

mobn fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 21, 2011

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

shizen posted:

wow thanks thats a lot of stuff

yeah I do lift weights but use straps a lot for pulling movements, going to stop that now for sure. My grip is very weak though-well at least compared to some of the guys I roll with who are higher level- but how often should I be able to train grip without overtraining my hands too much?

Small muscle groups recover pretty quick, so you could probably do twice a week pretty easily.

You should definitely only use straps when your grip is preventing you from finishing working out a stronger muscle group. Plenty of people use straps for their heaviest sets of deads, rows, etc, but don't put them on until you can't hang onto the bar any longer. Just that alone will probably improve your grip a ton if you've been using them for every set.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

westcoaster posted:

I only ever use straps when doing heavy shrugs, theres no point in using them any other time. You can't use them if your are competing in lifting so why train with them?

You're doing a lot more frequency in training than you are in a competition. When you're training you pull heavy multiple times a week, so there's more likelihood that later in the week you're fatigued enough to maybe needs some help from straps, especially when you're pulling 600+ pounds. In a competition you're warming up and then making three heavy pulls with break time in between, so the straps are unnecessary.

Like I said though, you shouldn't break out the straps until you literally can't even hold on with a hook grip any longer. I sometimes have to bust out straps halfway through my back day because my forearms start to fatigue to the point of pain, and I'd rather hit my back really well than worry about grip training when I can do extra work for my grip if it lags.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
This is the correct video for uchi mata http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1asYLNJgdw

He won the whole drat olympics with that throw. Everyone knew it was coming and nobody could stop him.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

assuming you are not a foreign worker, that is basically slavery.

Seriously, Dubai is practically a feudal state.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fawker posted:

^^^ on that note...
I grappled with some filthy highschool kid the other day, I made sure to to home asap and shower right away, but I've broken out in these weird pimples in random places (my thigh, neck, arms, shoulders). I'm already using antibacterial soap. Is there anything else I can do other than not rolling with that filthy rear end in a top hat to prevent a Randleman-like disaster?

If you've already got pimples you should go to the doctor for antibiotics just in case.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's not like a "bodydrop hipthrow" or whatever would make more sense than something in japanese. If I care enough about the post to wonder what a word means, I just google it, and there's usually a ton of animated gifs or videoes available immediately.
Omaplata doesn't make much sense either, you know?

good thing we can also call an omaplata a shoulderlock.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

What is a "guard" and why do I want to "get past" it?

what is "disingenuous" and why would i want to "be" it?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

My point is that every activity, be it knitting or BJJ, has a specialized vocabulary. Bitching about people using that vocabulary rather than just ignoring the posts or looking it up is stupid. There's even a link in the OP to Judoinfo, which breaks down every single technique and also every single japanese word used.

The unique terminology of just about every other activity is still made out of English words.

I know what double-leg takedown means not because I'm a wrestling expert (lol), but because all of those words are english and with the benefit of context I know that it is a move wherein I try to "take" somebody "down" and it involves two legs.

SA has all sorts of unique terminology like "carepost" "caremad" "effortpost" and such, and yet you know exactly what all of those mean because it's in plain English.

If you tell me I'm going to learn a throw called a "bodydrop hip throw" I can work out the general idea of what you're going to teach me before you even demonstrate it, and if I'd already seen the technique before but never learned the name, "bodydrop hip throw" is way more likely to summon that idea to my mind that whatever the Japanese name is.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Thoguh posted:

Par Terre. Suplex. Half Nelson. Turk. Repechage

These are all wrestling terms that require a knowledge of wrestling, making no sense without that context or looking them up.

So then, shouldn't the argument be that these wrestling terms are dumb, rather than that obscure Judo terms are good?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

I don't think its really a word more like a nickname that became a name. I can't think of anything to call it in english that isn't horribly unwieldy or misleading in description.

Also, is "Muslim" a real wrestling term or were you just slipping that one in?

Maybe triangle shoulder lock?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Hey, Death Bucket. Is the schedule out at Neutral Ground such that I could reasonably get some learning done just training Friday night, saturday, and sunday? I got a full-time job downtown which means I will actually have money to train soon, but if I went to WMMA their schedule would basically ensure that I was never at home, ever.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Death Bucket posted:

You'd learn more than nothing but not as much as if you went to class during the week. Friday's only class is conditioning, followed by an open mat that's been pretty much dead for a year or so. Saturday has a pretty good open mat and the guy who runs it usually shows some judo for people who want to learn it. I think there's still the newbie BJJ class on Sunday, but I don't know for sure. For what it's worth, Eric Schafer just opened a school in Shorewood that's got some great guys there and a couple of Henry Matamoros' old guys started Pura Vida BJJ down in Walker's Point. No idea about either of their schedules, but they may have more directed classes during the weekend, I don't really know.

Thanks. I'll check those other two out.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
What was the deal with Monson greasing? He's always been one of my favorite fighters (I know that's totally inexplicable), and it's depressing to think he'd resort to that to compete. Has he or any of the officials made a statement yet?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I'm kinda surprised Avellan voluntarily got back into heelhook position with Palhares of all people. I would have forfeited after the ref told me to get back in position.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I've been watching the budovideos coverage of ADCC, and it kinda sucked. I didn't expect much, but half the time they didn't know who was on what mats, or would switch away to shot of a guy getting his hand raised while someone was holding a submission on another mat. I can't wait for the DVDs to come out so we can get better footage.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
The worst was when they'd say something like "Oh, and over on mat 4 somebody won by guillotine or something", cut over to show the guy getting his hand raised, and when you come back to the match they were showing it's either over or someone got reversed.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Who Gotch Ya posted:

That's completely relative to the person performing the move and how/why/when they're performing it. It's not the move's fault.

If you took the amount of times I've perfectly attempted a gogoplata compared to the amount of times I've finished a gogoplata, and took the amount of times I've perfectly attempted a triangle choke compared to the amount of times I've finished a triangle choke, I'd say the percentage would probably be about the same. It might even be higher for the gogo. And even if it was lower for the gogo, that doesn't mean the gogo itself is lower percentage overall.

It's not possible to say that every person ever doing one move will have a lower percentage of success than a different move. There are too many factors and variables.

This is not a game of percentages. Do what works for you and what you enjoy.

You're being overly pedantic. A high percentage technique is one where there are fewer confounding factors that would cause you to perform it imperfectly. A low percentage move is one where there are more confounding factors that would cause you perform it imperfectly.

An RNC is not higher percentage than a gogoplata because a perfectly performed RNC makes a guy "more choked" than a perfectly preformed gogoplata or something. It's higher percentage because it's harder to gently caress up an RNC, it's easier to set up an RNC, and it's harder to defend an RNC. A high-percentage move is one that the collective group of BJJ practitioners have a high success rate performing, not what the magic glow in the dark headscissors master has practiced for hours on end so that his game can be hipper than everyone else's.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Who Gotch Ya posted:

When I attempt to finish an omoplata, I don't have to roll dice to see if it works. There isn't a set chance that it will work. If I do it right and prevent the defense, it's going to work.

You can't say that it will just magically fail because more people finish choke sleepers than omoplatas.

No you don't roll dice, no it won't magically fail. However, a technically proficient grappler fighting another technically proficient grappler is more likely to perform an armbar right and prevent the defense than they are to do the same with a pentagram choke, therefore making it "higher percentage".

If you're really going to get your gi in that big of a twist over it, just mentally substitute "high percentage" with "more commonly completed".

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Nierbo posted:

Can someone elaborate on this? I thought kimuras were 90% about strength. Once you have the grip and position its not really using leverage in the same way an arm bar is. Or maybe it is, what the gently caress do I know. I'll ask here rather than googling it and reading yahoo answers.

I'm no authority, but I finish kimuras from guard by locking up the figure four, shrimping my hips back a bit so I'm kinda perpendicular to the guy on top, then rolling/leaning with my weight toward his head while keeping his hand as tight to his back as I can. Kimuras are the only thing I can finish off of my back with anything resembling consistency, but that could easily be the effect of a big fat guy training with smaller opponents.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My favorite lower-percentage move was to start working a kimura from side control start walking my leg around the head, and then quickly throw my other leg over their body to switch it to a reverse armbar.

What's everyone else's favorite non-bread-and-butter sub?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

actually, I will agree that MOBN's sub isn't all that low percentage. Its one of my instructors favorite moves and he's a super old school bread and butter guy.

I guess. My instructor always said you weren't as likely to finish it because it's harder to apply pressure to the reverse armbar over the standard one, but I concede the point that it's much easier to set up than the subs a lot of other people are mentioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Dante posted:

haha you werent kidding

welloffwhitepeopleopinions.txt right here

I am speechless. Hopefully this many grapples with Palhares one day.