Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It's not ballet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

Where to start as far as watching compressive bjj? Ideally I'd like to watch gi stuff as i train with a gi but im going to watch the upcoming metamoris. School me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7afkv4ih68c

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
This starts kinda lovely, but was a fun one.

https://youtu.be/mSuB64OaDsY

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Two judo questions:

1. I'm looking for a good book, something ideally covering the core throws and groundwork, as well as history and etiquette and stuff, basically the whole syllabus.

Kodokan Judo by Jigoro Kano himself

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Uhh how about Cyborg v Barnett? Rip catch wrasslin.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah I actually appreciate metamoris' style. The stage lighting the drummers. It reminds me of old Kung fu movies. I wish the ufc would be a little more like that and less 90's xtreme with their branding.

Totally. Also cot drat kip with eyebrows lmao.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Tuck it in your belt.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Master the turtle guard.

"The turtle can bite"

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It's not ballet.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
You couldn't figure out the guy's a psycho sperg from his posts in here already?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

JHomer722 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j7PHBWmk6s

Everyone be sure to root for Good Guy Cormier this weekend.

AJ all the way. I'm sorry.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Try the turtle guard, you can use all those granby rolls you practiced.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It's not ballet.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I remember in hs wrestling, only the best wrestlers wore those ugly green and pink shoes. It has more to do with not being outlandish unless your good, than whatever gender stuff you guys got going on.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Actually compete.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Congrats, did you get your whipping?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I used to train with the guy that won it. Marcel Goncalves Super hard worker.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Excuse them, if two old friends want to put some class back into nhb.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
All in on Rueben Alvarez.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I heard Gene Lebell was just an actor/stuntman who roughed up a couple actors in a backyard and on set to get his rep and ran with it. Akin to Bruce Lee. I heard this from Chael Sonnen on his podcast.

Did Gene ever compete?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
This aj guy....so brave.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

2DCAT posted:

watching him implode on reddit is rather amusing.

Got a link?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Renzo's book is ok, but I'd just put the $25 towards your next gi. Or gas.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
How about magic: the gathering?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I was diagnosed with acute hema.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Underdog bjj in west Hartford would be a good choice. There's also a huge place in Rocky Hill called The Cage, with a legit black belt and a really awesome facility. Plenty of good bjj in CT I think.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
How about Yung sage the hype machine, getting choked out by a cab driver?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
One of the biggest men in bjj has the best spins.....

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It's not ballet.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Got a blue belt about 6 years ago and then stopped training like a year later. Fast forward last fall, the guy in the truck next to mine in the mornings is a black belt, so now I get to train Sunday mornings two or three times a month with him and whatever other guys show up. Was happy to find out I could still hang.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Fight Sports in Miami or the Rilion Gracie gym in coral gables? I live near one and work near the other

E: or their reputations. I'm interested in joining one. I have no grappling experience apart from a handful of drop in classes at American Top Team with a friend. I can arm bar from side control and bendy arm from side control. (Americana maybe? Kimura?). Two years of on and off boxing

I got my blue belt from Cyborg and can tell you that he is an amazing teacher and an even better friend to all his students.

I moved away years ago, but the new gym he just built looks awesome, and I trained with both the guys managing the gym now and they are also great people. I think talent wise it would be hard to find a better room.

Can't recommend Fight Sports enough! Do it!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I always thought it was a fun rite of passage, walk the gauntlet then get dogpiled and the whole academy cheers you and picks you up on their shoulders. Great thrill, lots of laughs, and worth a couple welts.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Marching Powder posted:

is it really a macho thing and not a lighthearted ceremony that you can always opt out of?

Depends if you're a normal well adjusted human or not.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbpJ1pr_wG8

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

cyborg full on slapped Gordon in the head multiple times.

It's not ballet.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Helio never used a sword. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

flashman posted:

Any of you old fogies on the juice for hobby training? I feel like just a little test or whatever would be dandy for making the fifth and sixth class each week

Haha, my friends and i wanted to, but after getting a blood test, im still producing like a young man at 38. 900ng/L total 150.3 pg/ml free. The secret is poor sleep and bad diet.

Really highlights my wasted potential though….