Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Keg posted:

I think their dad is just a particular combination of bad at the internet and clueless about BJJ.

Here are the 2 instructor kids rolling:
https://www.facebook.com/graciefortcollins/videos/vb.776638919068952/856461744420002/?type=2&theater

They seem chill. I guess their dad is just a weird dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Yuns posted:

Because they know that no one will take them up on their offer. If you send some adult black belt to kick their asses, what do you think will happen? Do you think you that black belt will be showered with accolades for beating some teenage girl blue belts? Or will he or she be treated like a neanderthal bully. It's obvious no one is going to seriously take them up on that challenge.

I dont know man, from what ive experienced of the internet BJJ community I think there would be people willing to do it and that if someone did, a decent number of people would praise them for calling out McDojo Bullshit or whatever and keeping BJJ pure

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
If I lived anywhere near there id probably go just to see what's up and ask the guy why he is asking people from the internet to come beat up his kid daughters

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Keg posted:

There are lots of videos of gangly nerds from bullshido beating up seniors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuIDycD0aeo

lol cool

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

yes we are tough men we must all wear tough man colours at all times that way people will know that we are tough and straight

this but non sarcastically

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
also "Palhares but doesnt continue holding the submission after the guy taps" would be among the top in the UFC currently but in reality he is retarded

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Welllp. Time for another week of injury downtime. This time my neck/back popped like 8 times (sounded like someone stepping on peanut shells really slowly) as I was getting inverted. I can't even remember the position, but my neck and shoulders were down and my partner's weight was on top of me.

gently caress's sake. I love this sport but I'm perpetually hurt from it. This happens just as my shoulder is starting to feel better after a week of downtime, and before that it was my ribs. It's always when I'm rolling with the blue belts.

My instructor has said that I'm not allowed to roll with anyone bigger than me anymore ("the twitchy big guys"), so that means I have like 3 white belts, 1 blue belt, and 1 purple belt to train with.

:suicide:

:smith:

Do you lift or do any kind of sport specific strength/mobility stuff like neck bridges etc? Could be worth getting more serious about if you get hurt that often

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I've stopped lifting in the last few months since I moved to a new town. I do neck/shoulder bridges &c in my warmups. I want to say it's because these guys are 50-60 lbs bigger than me and don't give a gently caress. Idunno. I guess I can do more strength/mobility workouts, but there are only so many hours in a day. The head instructor was really doing his best to keep me positive, but he could probably see it in my eyes that I was thinking about quitting in that moment.

Well that sucks. Good luck and yeah you might have to stop rolling with guys bigger than you if theyre also spazzes

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Yoga is great and i definitely recommend it, saying that Yoga will break you more than a wrestling practice though makes me think you havent been to the right wrestling practices, or i havent been to the right Yoga classes

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Everyone who does HEMA is always like "no man its way less lame than you think" and every single thing ive seen of it makes me think its exactly as lame as i thought

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

Isn't hema basically just koryu or obsolete judo with a little white pride worldwide spin? And just like judo can't you be the absolute best in the world and still be a big sloppy fat guy?

Actually judo is officially a real sport now because the best guy in the world is a 7 foot tall black guy on steroids.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
You gotta know your audience, some people you can be like "suck it bitch" when you tap them and its funny and some people if you offer them friendly advice will come after you in the parking lot. It takes all kinds

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Spotted something odd on my training group's private chat, some slight ribbing between guys about competing and not competing. It seemed quite serious on one side. People were arguing about whether foot looks should be studied, Guy A said nah we don't train them, Guy B said we should (I agree btw). Guy A then said something like, 'if you'd ever competed or had any inclination to compete you'd know what it takes to win', indicating he knows ways to win, aside from footlocks, so he doesn't need to study them.

Everyone in my gym is very friendly towards each other & I've never noticed any hostility against people who don't compete, so this struck me as odd. I get on well with all my team mates & do compete so I dunno if I just haven't witnessed any sort of derision, at least in my direction. What's the atmosphere like where you are? Is there a divide? Share! I care.              

Im the opposite, i think bjj competitions suck and i want to train for real fighting and/or for fun, so when someone is like "actually your foot cant cross over the hip in IBJJF rules (nerd rear end voice)" i tell them to flip off. In a friendly way of course

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Guy A is also just wrong on the surface level because footlocks and 50/50 and stuff were so in vogue the last little while that he would really need to know them if he planned on competing above purple or whatever

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Instead of worrying about what submissions you are going to force on the fat guy you end up fighting at the white belt grappling comp, id work on the areas youre actually having trouble. Instead of crushing the lovely smaller white belts, start the roll in a lovely position and work on getting out of it. Give them your back and 75% of an rnc and get out. Etc

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Nierbo posted:

because..... he can probably get my hands separated by putting his forearm on my forearm to break my grip which doesnt hurt me the next day but instead goes straight for the bicep (which does hurt me the next day) Are you honestly that dense or just makes you feel super cool being a passive aggressive idiot online. I swear some of you guys argue the most loving retarded poo poo sometimes.

Speaking of arguing the most loving retarded poo poo, thats not what passive aggressive actually means. If youre being passive aggressive you make yourself the target of your own negative behaviors, if you make it clear you have a problem with what someone is saying/doing its not passive aggression, no matter how oblique youre being about it. A classic example of passive aggression would actually be refusing to tap out to a pain-based submission and letting yourself get hurt because you have a problem with people using those submissions

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Thats cool

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Seltzer posted:

I finally fully signed up to a good gym after sorting out my hamstring issues. I asked some beginner questions earlier but I'd like to ask a few more. What's the cup consensus, last time their was a split iirc. I was planning on doing no cup 4 lyfe until my second lesson where my partner kneed my balls twice during a toss drill. As for my other questions, what's a good amount of times to train each week to make significant progress. I want to get competetent but I don't want to burn out so I'm planning on three times a week because I play soccer/basketball, weightlift, etc. Hard to fit in a 4th time doing all that but I've seen posts of new students wanting to get in 6 times a week. Lastly I'm completely green having never done any grappling before so I'm obviously feeling a bit slow compared to other white belts who have wrestled etc. Are there any fundamental fundamental movements to get down that I can practice in my own time so I don't have to figure out the extreme basics during drills. Lastly how long is it usually before gyms let beginners spar? I did a drop in at one place where I sparred without incident my first session. At my actual gym the instructor had me sit out but later told me the gym is generally pretty lenient compared to most gyms when it comes to letting white belts spar. Obviously they have to size up that you don't panic, spaz, or try stupid stuff and that's not in my character but I understand that's hard to get across until they've seen me on the mats for a bit. How long did it take most of you to start sparring a week, 6 months?

Theres no good reason not to wear a cup, just wear a cup so your balls dont get crushed, unless you hate the feeling of wearing a cup more than the feeling of your sack getting injured

Youll get plenty better training 3 times a week especially at first. Just train as much as you want, and a good thing with BJJ is once you get to a certain point of competence in moving your body around you can actually get a lot of mileage out of visualization and thinking about techniques off the mat too

Sparring in BJJ is usually called rolling in order to differentiate it from striking arts where sparring means hitting each other. You should be allowed to roll pretty much right away as long as you arent a spaz and there are good training partners who match up size-wise with you. Usually worst case scenario they notice youre being a spaz and get a brown/black belt to effortlessly beat you up to show you what its supposed to look like, its not like boxing where doing that would involve severe brain damage so its pretty easy to rein guys in. You should be rolling very soon

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Yeah theres soft cups you can wear with compression shorts

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

JHomer722 posted:

In 10 years of wrestling I never wore a cup or mouthguard. I realize they're different sports, so I defer to those who actually practice BJJ, but are there that many more opportunities to get hit in the face and/or balls?

Yeah. You spend a lot of the time on the ground with your legs spread and guys trying to drive their knees and elbows into the area near your balls, lots of positions involve having your feet and legs tangled near a guys balls, and other times you put someone in a triangle or an armbar and have to use the area near your dick and balls for leverage to injure them

You dont have to wear a cup or mouthguard if you dont want to but if youre rolling hard or training for competition i dont get why you wouldnt at least wear a mouthguard

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Now I'm super paranoid. Do most people here wear a full rashguard under their gi? I've been rolling in boxers an undershirt under my gi. I thought showering thoroughly and staying up on gi cleaning was enough. Also Commonshore do you have a brandname for that soap? I might just order some bulk off amazon if they have it.

You dont have to be as OCD as lots of bjj guys are with no skin exposed and all that poo poo if you dont want to, if you train at a relatively clean gym and you wash your gi and shower thoroughly after you will be fine. Also the takeaway from Commonshores thing is that you dont need any fancy soap, Ivory is just brand name normal soap, the mechanical action of scrubbing your body and the emulsifying effect of the soap is better for killing microbes than anti-bacterial soap and has the added bonus that it doesnt cause antibacterial resistant strains to evolve

Wear whatever you want really, at more old school gyms they wont want you to wear stuff under your gi, i dont like it when guys wear a loose tshirt or whatever under their gi because a) theres not really a point, b) it looks corny as poo poo, and c) you can get your fingers caught on the loose material when you go for lapel and collar grips and stuff

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Skjorte posted:

Haha, I mean, -I- thought he was being a dickhead, but I'm older and nowhere near as used to athletic environments as pretty much everyone else there. I won't roll with anyone who I feel uncomfortable with, but I didn't know if that type of behavior was egregious enough to bring it up to the instructor. It's a no gi (beginner's) class, with a purple as an instructor, so although I can't be sure, I don't think we have anyone in class who's higher than blue, unfortunately. Not a lot of high level BJJ guys in my country yet.

In a beginners class that type of stuff is pretty bad because its the blind leading the blind and a lot of times a big athletic blue belt or whatever will act like a dick because theres no one to keep them in line. Though if youre brand new and know nothing about grappling and are smaller than everyone else poo poo happens sometimes, at least your friend didnt get injured

Sometimes im the "why are you tapping out" guy, I always tap early but there are some guys who do the thing where as soon as youre in position for a sub they just tap ("you were about to get me soon anyway") and i have to explain thats a lovely way to train, if you were just gonna tap as soon as you felt like theres a chance you might get submitted just skip rolling altogether and tap before you start

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

JaySB posted:

Because if they don't know how to defend things get broken. Don't be a dick and teach them the defense instead of saying "why are you tapping"

I do, im talking about them doing stuff like tapping to a head and arm choke as soon as its anywhere near locked up, because they dont like feeling uncomfortable, which results in them never actually getting good at the defense and the other guy never getting to practice actually finishing a submission

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is for the coach to tell them, not you -- especially not when you're the one sparring with them.

In that case, ease up after the tap and tell them to work out of the position if you're concerned about them practicing their defense. If you want to work on finishing at speed then do it with sparring partners who actually want to go hard.

I do both of those, come on man

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Sphinxster posted:

Well, somebody had to be the first one ever.

Haha

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Yuns posted:

Did he pin your hips and bring his foot in close to your butt and knee.up off the ground? (like standing up in the lockdown) That creates a leg lock on someone who insists on retaining a lockdown. You can definitely be hurt by hanging on to a lockdown especially if someone knows how to address it like that. Don't hang onto stuff without a purpose when a position is lost or when you are putting yourself into the sub.

Yeah i always do that when people hang on to a lockdown for too long to stall

CommonShore posted:

I'm sad to say that I don't really know. I was trying to keep his posture down, get underhooks, and get under his hips to set up a sweep, and so I was focusing there. It certainly didn't feel as if I was in any kind of leg lock or knee bar - it was just tight tight squeeze squeeze and then "pop!"

Your knee isnt very well innervated so sometimes it wont hurt when its getting cranked in certain ways, you have to be a little extra aware of it

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
If you are in the heavy masters white belt division at a local tourney you are 90% going to be going against a big fat out of shape guy, and you, being a big muscly guy shouldnt have too hard of a time even though youve only been training 5 months or whatever. Unless your conditioning is bad and you suffer the classic Heavyweight fate of being out cardio'd by a big fat guy :smugbird:

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Cant look up wrist lock vids right now but my best easy tip is that because of the amount of joints the tendons cross your wrist has way less range of motion when your fingers are curled up into a tight fist. So wrist locks are much more painful much quicker if the guys fingers are fully flexed instead of slack. I dont go for a ton of wrist locks for finishes but you can threaten them/annoy people by messing with their grips so that their fingers get pushed into their palm, and then putting a little pressure on the wrist

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Seltzer im not saying this to be rude at all but you ask a lot of questions like that in here, Im gonna suggest next time something like that comes up either just dont worry about it or if its really bothering you, ask someone at the gym like your coach or someone youve made friends with there. Just chill after class and ask someone if youre doing something wrong, "does that guy always roll like that or only with me", or whatever is on your mind. People will answer you and cut you a lot of slack (if they arent assholes) since youre new and never grappled before. No one here knows the dynamics/energy of your specific gym and we're getting one side of the story without context, so our answers will be really general, plus asking strangers on the internet is probably not the greatest idea when you have access to better resources you actually know irl (your coach and higher belts)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Decades posted:

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Clearly the dude is a bit of a dick. That said, it takes all kinds. You could dismiss his opinion and avoid him best as you can for the time being. Or you could try and take in his weird standoffish energy, avoid letting it get under your skin, and do your best to roll with it and still take in whatever knowledge he's offering. I think those are both perfectly viable ways to go. One thing I'll say is that I've learned to appreciate rolling with different personalities and temperaments, and find that very worthwhile in the same way as training with people of different sizes and body types. So the aggro competitive guy, the passive overly relaxed guy, the smug condescending guy who teaches constantly, the friendly guy there to hang out who never ramps things up past "playful" - I think those people are all useful in their own ways. So short answer yes he sounds like an rear end and don't let him get to you. Longer answer is that if you can find a way to make him work for you, as long he's not putting you in danger or something, then that'll probably prove ideal in the long run.

This also

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dangersim posted:

How do people feel about sandbagging? Back in Florida we had a kid who was really good and was a blue belt, the story is he skipped out and joined another gym when he got wind he was gonna be promoted. Saw him and the rest of his new training partners at my first competition and it was a whole bunch of ripped "blue belts" who clearly were grappling at a higher level. I went up against one and pretty much got insta-armbarred. Black belt later told me not to worry about, kid was rolling at a brown belt level.

So my question. Is this accepted? What is the point of it ? To win competitions beating up people who don't have a chance? Why not fight at your actual skill level.and have an actual competitive match?

Yeah people like to win and maybe more importantly dont want to get beaten up/injured so tons of people sandbag. Its why i hate competing in BJJ because if your goal is just to win you have to sandbag, and up until brown/black division "winning" doesnt mean anything anyway, if youre the best white belt ever maybe that just means you are actually a blue belt, who cares. They dont have a beginner division in high school wrestling, you just wrestle. Its fun to win but i dont care at that level.

And the other better reason to compete at a low level is to get experience with the pressure of competition and roll with people from other gyms etc, but imo it sucks to pay 100 bucks plus fees or whatever to travel somewhere and wait around all day in some gymnasium to roll with 1 guy and get a medal. Id rather drive out to a gym ive never been to before and pay that money to them to sit in on a day of classes and roll with all their guys if i just wanted a fun learning experience

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

What would you say is the best membership site/resource for someone doing this less than 6 months?

If youve only been doing it a couple months and you go to a decent club you probably dont need to pay for instructional vids, its information overload and you dont have the base of knowledge yet to know what videos will work for your style/body type and what wont, and videos dont give the direct feedback of your coach or upper belts telling you if youre doing it wrong so you can build bad habits if you dive right into Youtube-jitsu as a new white belt

However no one actually listens to that advice so uhh bjjlibrary.com is pretty good

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
The best was a few years ago a guy came to train who had never grappled before but watched MMA, but somehow thought that the point of an armbar was to yank the guys arm out of its socket, like pulling it away from their body. Then when I did an actual armbar on him he was like holy poo poo thats what theyre doing?

Then i was imagining him watching fights where someones stuck in an armbar and him being like cmon... dont let him rip your arm out.. keep it sucked in

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Yuns posted:

Gordon wasn't really trolling. We have a number of guys who can smash people from bottom mount. One of our teammates Sha is an absolute terror from bottom mount. The moment you mount you end up leg locked. Gordon was just using a riskier strategy.

Thats cool

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Just got back from a few classes with Odddzy, who's a super nice dude. Here's a round of us doing some no-gi sparring at wrestling class:

(Mechafunkzilla in blue/red, Odddzy in black/white)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WDnhspdYW4

Nice 2 on 1

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

IT BEGINS posted:

People at my gym have switched from asking me if I used to wrestle to just telling me that I'm a wrestler. We almost never do stand-up so I'm not sure how they've come to this conclusion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thats a jiu jitsu guys way of saying he hates you

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Jon jones learned how to be a grappler only from watching youtube so yes.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Wear compression shorts so that your big rear end dick and balls get compressed and can fit into a cup that fits your otherwise small body imo

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
On the topic of first grappling competitions, i first competed when i was 16 or 17 and had only been training for like 4 months. It was the under-18 National Championships and i signed up for the most advanced division because i wrestled a bit in school, and i thought I was freakin badass so I didnt want to sandbag (in retrospect of course I sucked rear end). I got there and the Advanced division only had like 7 people total so all genders, ages, and weight classes very unwisely got absorbed into one absolute division. My first match was against a 15 year old girl who i very uncomfortably outwrestled and she cried after. Then I had to fight a giant fat kid (probably 250~ lbs to my 160), i shot in and took him down and he instantly put me in some kind of neck crank, i panicked and tapped and I got the win because neck cranks aren't allowed in the under-18 rules lol

So because of that I was the National under-18 BJJ Champion, Advanced Absolute division, without doing anything basically. And now when i fight its one of those martial arts distinctions like Swedish Sanshou Champion that they say about you that you cant be sure actually means anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Also the beginner division had like 150 kids who mostly were super athletic sandbaggers who cut weight and poo poo and had to fight through a bunch of rounds and wait around all day to get a medal that sounded way lamer than mine. Owned