Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

fatherdog posted:

hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahah

Somewhere, in the wilds of Brooklyn, you can hear CortX's scream echo through the buildings of the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrIwVVz8lPM

Oh my god.....The double wrist lock is a forearm break......

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

fawker posted:

Ive recently lost some weight and am more fit than before so im giving Judo a try. How well do Juso skills translate over to BJJ or no-gi grappling?

Not in the slightest really. Thats not a knock on Judo, but the modern sport is so specialized that its tough to really apply it in any outside setting. You'd know a few good throws, but not enough to really take any advantage of them, and would be a perpetual victim to wrestlers, and grapplers alike.

Thats not to say Judo isn't totally worth it if you want to study it I really encourage you to, its a very cool martial art, but you wont have much success simply walking into a grappling tournament with nothing more than some Judo experience at your back.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Save Russian Jews posted:

What is the best way to not embarrass myself. Feel free to ask anything you need to determine why I should not attempt this, ever.

Just go ahead and try it. There is pretty much nothing you're going to do that wont be embarrassing, some of those dudes will have been wrestling since they where like seven years old.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

shizen posted:

so why is it that wrestlers are massive/muscular compared to bjj competitors who have very little size? I mean they both primairly just do grappling, yet wrestlers seem to look in tremendously better shape. I notice it in mma also that wrestlers just are a lot bigger/stronger then the bjj guys.

I think you might be a tad overstating it. There are lots of incredible BJJ guys with outstanding physiques but I think I know what you're kind of getting at.

A lot of it just has to do with the status of Folk Style Wrestling in the U.S. as a serious sport. When I was in Highschool I was competing with guys who had been wrestling since they where 7. Weight cutting starts early too, middle school and Junior high when kids are barely teenagers. Being the biggest you could and at the lowest weight class possible is pounded into the mentality of young wrestlers.

The other side of the coin is that BJJ started out as a martial art more than a competitive sport. Like a lot of martial arts it focused a lot on technique and knowledge as opposed to strength and size. Royce Gracie was chosen to compete in UFC one, not because he was the best but because he was smaller and thinner and fit perfectly with the marketing approach of the time.

As BJJ establishes itself more as a competitive sport and a martial art, in the way for example Judo has, you're going to see a lot of practitioners cutting more weight and spending more time on strength training.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

If you don't have a strong wrestling base the worst part of white belt tournaments is definitely all the guys that do, it can often leave you feeling like you're at a wrestling meet with a Gi on.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Who Gotch Ya posted:

awesome rvddw shirt to commemorate the match.

I want one of their Purple Gi's just to have something different than the sea of Korals I see everywhere but so expensive. I need a new Gi, anyone have good recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

OrangeCrush posted:

koral mkm, whats wrong with you!?

I suck and try to compensate with fashion statements.