Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTm94LbLNQE

Hey look it's frank trigg sucking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Editted the OP with new sub stuff and took out the incorrect Chinese. Is there a form of grappling that is not gay? Even the descendants of Ghengis Khan manage to twink it up.

My only quibble with the informational posts is the one describing various positions and subs. Your half guard section says that the top fighter is harder to sweep. I think that while in MMA that is true (lord knows I would never go to deep half if I could be punched in the face) but in straight grappling looking at a lot of the work done by guys like Marcelo, half guard is seriously dangerous position for sweeps. In my experience I have found sweeping from half (and it's variants) to be far easier than full guard (except butterfly, sweet sweet butterfly guard)

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I was making a joke based on 50/50 being the new fad but I think specific positions should be left to discussion. I tried to keep the OP Grappling 101 to keep from overwhelming people.

If Rickson and Roger don't do it, it is heresy.

ligaments definitely tear in achilles locks. I know a BB who just recently got out of his ankle brace after being straight ankle locked in a tournament.

At least he didn't get kneebahed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_47Fjao8Y

fatherdog posted:

Properly applied, a straight footlock will actually break the bones of the foot (the metatarsals), not just the ligaments.

Marcelo actually very rarely sweeps or indeed does anything from half guard; he uses half almost exclusively to get to X-guard or back to seated guard. When you see half guard sweeps in elite competition it's usually from the deep half, of which Jeff Glover is an excellent example.

Interestingly the Nogueira brothers have both used deep-half sweeps extensively in MMA (Big Nog against Werdum and Little Nog against Shogun are good examples) although they play it quite different from Glover.

The half guard game has evolved to the point where it's really hard to quantify what half guard is. There's deep half, 93, half butterfly, x-guard, hell even tornado guard is a half guard variant.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

westcoaster posted:

Did he have a glove over his stump to box with?

I saw a guy with one hand fight here in Tulsa back in late 2009. It was hilarious because as he was wailing on his opponent from mount his "glove" came flying off. His poor opponent definitely ate two or three bare stump shots before the ref stepped in.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Can we get a DNA test on Gabi Garcia? I'm not totally convinced she possesses two X chromosomes

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Mens -66kg final:
Rafa Mendes def. Cobrinha on points (well really he didn't score any points but Cobrinha jumped guard and got a negative point)

Mens -77kg final:
Marcelo def. Leo Vieira by triangle

Mens -88kg final:
Andre Galvao def. Paul Harris on points 8-3

Mens -99kg final:
Dean "the greatest middleweight that never was" Lister def. Joao Assis by heel hook (Dean openly baited Joao into a leg lock battle and Joao stupidly bit on it)

Mens +99kg final:
Vinny Magalhaes def. Fabricio Werdum on points (towards the end Werdum had Vinny in what looked like a sickeningly deep armbar but Vinny refused to tap and eventually escaped)

Now we're just waiting for the absolute bracket to be finalized.

Edit:

Absolute news:
-No Mendes
-No Marcelo
-No Cyborg
-No Paul Harris

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 25, 2011

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

It's David Taylor's world, we're all just taking up space in it

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

He pinned his first four opponents and then tech fall'ed in the finals. That is staggering domination. One of my old training partners wrestled D1 and he's gobsmacked. He said every match in that tournament is the hardest match you'll have all season. To just run through the field and make it look that easy is the definition of individual greatness.

Edit: oh and he's only a RS sophomore. If I were at 165 right now i'd be running for the exits to find another weight

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 18, 2012

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

district of thizz posted:

A tech fall is when a wrestler has a point total greater than his opponent. From my high school experience I believe it is 15. Most likely a different number in college but probably the same principle.

A tech fall could signify that the winning wrestler pretty much scored take downs / near fall at will throughout the match.

It's 15 in college too. Taylor won 22-7 and all 7 of those were Taylor letting the guy up so he could hit another takedown

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Paul Pot posted:

carefully curling toes is the gentle bjj move and not as effective in real fighting, a demonic catchwrestler will rip those fuckers right off

That's why truly demonic catch wrestlers wear shoes

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Women who wrestle at 72kg scare me. That is all

E: awesome uchi mata by lee

E2: Henry Cejudo lost the finals and left his shoes on the mat announcing his retirement from wrestling

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 22, 2012

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I should give Braulio a call. I know how it feels to be stood up by Nick Diaz, maybe I can offer some coping strategies (my main one is seething hatred of all things stockton)

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Gracie Barra fighter randomly gets two points while his guard is being passed and wins 6-4. Never change ibjjf

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Play to the whistle kids

E: I love the idea of renzo calling people during matches to offer advice

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 4, 2012

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Buchecha just got a take down and advantage in the last 15 seconds to win the absolute

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

How much do you think it chaps Ryan Hall's rear end that when you google Ryan Hall you get a million links to this guy?

http://deadspin.com/5926710/can-god-coach-an-american-marathoner-to-olympic-gold

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Ryan Hall has some pretty good insight into TLI and the situation there. As he writes here:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/121007439/Open-Letter-to-the-Martial-Arts-Community

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

The IOC actually just did something very profound. They found the only way, outside an alien invasion, to get Russia, Iran and the US to unite in a common cause.

e: tell me this doesn't smell like a set up to bilk some money out of big buck countries like the US, Russia and Japan.

quote:

Round one
Wrestling: 5
Modern Pent: 5
Field Hockey: 2
Taekwondo: 1
Canoe/Kayak: 1

Round two
Wrestling: 7
Modern Pent: 4
Field Hockey: 1
Taekwondo: 1
Canoe/Kayak: 1

Elimination Run-off
Field Hockey: 6
Taekwondo: 5
Canoe/Kayak: 3

Round four
Wrestling: 6
Modern Pent: 5
Field Hockey: 3
Taekwondo: 0

Final round
Wrestling: 8
Modern Pent: 3
Field Hockey: 3

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/how-the-ioc-voted-to-eliminate-wrestling-round-by-round/

The votes weren't even close.

And then there's this:

quote:

The IOC will now put wrestling up against the seven other sports that have fought long and hard to be added to the schedule, including karate, squash, roller sports, wakeboarding, sport climbing, the chinese martial art of wushu, and baseball and softball in a joint bid.

The first vote will take place among the executive board in St. Petersburg in May, which is a great omen since Russia has won the most wrestling medals at every Olympics since it first began competing as an independent nation at the 1996 Olympics. But that vote will simply determine which sports will be proposed for the final vote among all the IOC members at a vote in Buenos Aires this September.

Each of the other proposed sports have had months, if not years, to literally pitch themselves to the IOC members (squash was arguably the most convincing), so if wrestling wants to win the vote, the governing body will no doubt have to lean on powerhouses like Russia, Japan and the U.S. for a bit of back room politicking to see if they can’t sway the members in their direction.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/12/how-wrestling-can-get-back-in-the-olympics/related/

Message to FILA: YOU'RE BRIBING THE WRONG PEOPLE!

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 12, 2013

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

we just need an oil sheik to jump in and rescue wrestling by giving it its very own semi-corrupt traveling location world championship.

Sadly my oil company is still in the startup phase and hasn't even made its first acquisition yet or I'd totally be there.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

FILA should bring Alexander Karelin to every meeting with the IOC and tell them that if wrestling isn't restored Karelin will drop every one of them on their head.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Some more reports on what the "medal chasers" culture is like. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/3/5/4066506/team-lloyd-irvin-sex-abuse-cult-power-medal-chasers-exodus

Here are some swell excerpts.

quote:

According to a source, Irvin also recently held a meeting with a portion of his team to discuss his prior rape arrest. "There were eight male team members in the room, and he told us the sex was a 'train' and the girl was 'down'... he then said the next day the girl's boyfriend found out about the incident and made her report it as rape." The former student continued, "Lloyd told us he had paid for Matthew Maldonado and Nick Schultz's lawyer retainer when they initially were arrested. And we were given specific instructions to not to tell anyone he did that."

A second source also said that Irvin arranged for Maldonado's and Schultz's defense, stating, "He hired the lawyers. 100% it's a fact. I was there at the meeting, I sat in on it, I heard it. 100%. There's no lies to it, he hired the lawyers."

quote:

A while back, my son and daughter were discussing her desire to practice jiujitsu again (something my son is always encouraging his sisters to do) and she asked what he thought about her coming to Lloyd Irvin's gym to train for a few months. At first my son entertained the idea, but as their conversation became more thoughtful about the logistics, etc., my son recanted. Then he said after a minute or so, "no, I don't think you should come." When she asked why, he said, "I don't want you around Master Lloyd, he can be manipulative and I'm not totally sure I trust him." I was pulled into the conversation by his statement and asked what he meant, but we were distracted mid-conversation and never got back to it.

quote:

The allegations of improper conduct between instructors and students appear to extend beyond just the main school into affiliate gyms, such as with the story from roughly five years ago, of a then 17-year-old former student at a Lloyd Irvin affiliate school who claimed that she was forced to show her instructor -- not Irvin, but an instructor at the Irvin affiliate school -- all of her text messages and Facebook conversations and then was forced to have sex with him for somewhere around a year. When the incident was reported, the only action taken was to have the instructor removed from the school. This story was corroborated by multiple sources, with one source stating that this instructor was told not to fly back to the gym when the information came out at a jiu jitsu tournament, but no police involvement was ever sought.

It seems like this is slowly morphing into MMA/BJJ's version of Penn State. I wonder if the IBJJF and UFC will step up and ban Lloyd Irvin and anyone competing under his name from competing.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Big Ten championships start in 20 minutes. Today's action will only be streamed on btn.com (subscriber access only $12.95/mo) but finals will be on BTN live tomorrow.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Big 10 championships are on now. at 125 pounds it is #2 Matt McDonough of Iowa vs. #4 Jesse Delgodo of Illinois.

McDonough down 5-1 entering third. mcDonough chooses down. Could have first upset of the day

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Delgado Wins!

Tell you what he was fun as hell to watch. He shot and shot and shot and shot

E: score was 10-4

133 lbs Logan Stieber (tOSU) vs Tony Ramos (Iowa) up now

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 10, 2013

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

We go to overtime 1-1!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Stieber Wins in sudden victory with a last second body lock take down. Awesome match we'll see these two again in a couple weeks.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Here are the finals matchups.

125 lbs - Jesse Delgado (Illinois) def. Matt McDonough (Iowa) 10-4
133 lbs - Logan Stieber (tOSU) def. Tony Ramos (Iowa) 3-1
141 lbs - Hunter Stieber (tOSU) vs. Mark Ballweg (Iowa)
149 lbs - Jake Sueflohn (Nebraska) vs. Dylan Ness (Minnesota)
157 lbs - Jason Welch (Northwestern) vs. James Green (Nebraska)
165 lbs - David Taylor (PSU) vs. Conrad Polz (Illinois)
174 lbs - Matt Brown (PSU) vs. Mike Evans (Iowa)
184 lbs - Ed Ruth (PSU) vs. Kevin Steinhaus (Minnesota)
197 lbs - Quentin Wright (PSU) vs. Scott Schiller (Minnesota)
HW - Tony Nelson (Minnesota) vs. Mike McMullan (Northwestern)

e: oh and once again David Taylor has tech fall'ed his way to the finals, will he tech fall for the championship? Probably.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Hunter Stieber wins 8-3 at 141 lbs.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

HOLY poo poo WHAT A FALL

Dylan Ness gives up back points to get in position to roll through and get the fall

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Jason Welch gets the fall while down a point late in the third to win. Green really over committed to initiating a scramble and missed.

David Taylor time.

e: Polz showed decent defense to start but gave up a TD with :08 left in the first, chose down in the 2nd and Taylor rode him for the full 2 minutes, then Taylor chose down to start the 3rd got a reversal and is now riding Polz out. Polz has been issued 2 penalties for stalling. Taylor lets Polz up just to take him right back down. David Taylor wins 9-1

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 10, 2013

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

In non-wrestling news: Lloyd Irvin has terminated his affiliate program.

quote:

Effective Immediately: Team Lloyd Irvin Affiliate Program is Terminated!

I want to thank EVERY Team Lloyd Irvin affiliate for their loyalty andfriendship throughout the years and especially during the last 2 months...

However there is clearly a lynch mob made up of a handful of people who will settle for NOTHING other than my head-on-a-stick or me hanging from a tree.

And I don't believe the majority of our community really wants nor benefits from this never ending pissing contest.

My purpose in making this statement is singular...

The lynch mob has been bullying and abusing my Team Lloyd Irvin affiliate members businesses,and that is downright unfair to them.

Attacking me is one thing, attacking my affiliates unfairly is a completely different animal.

And in an effort to preserve my personal relationships with them I am disbanding the association.

This is to serve notice to the lynch mob members that they can stop targeting, bullying and attempting to harm my affiliates businesses because they are no longer affiliates. End of story.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/3/10/4087464/lloyd-irvin-announces-termination-team-lloyd-irvin-affiliate-program

e: bonus points if you spot the subtle race card

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 11, 2013

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

NCAA Championships are next Thursday-Saturday (March 21-23) in Des Moines, IA. I can probably write up a preview if nobody else wants to. Anybody else interested?

Agreeing with everyone else that this would be awesome

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

God I just hope one of them doesn't trip up and screw us all out of a once in the lifetime type match

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Looks like Matt McDonough wasn't very happy last night

http://deadspin.com/wrestler-comes-in-second-place-at-big-10-tournament-th-452883712

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I think that notion comes from a few places.

First, people develop at different times so a 5th year senior at a D2 school might have taken that long to develop that athletic ability of a super freak 19 year old D1 redshirt freshman.

Second, there are 73 D1 wrestling programs that are allowed the equivalent of 9.9 full scholarships. And funding for wrestling programs is usually pretty tight so teams don't carry super deep benches or take flyers on guys betting they'll develop in 3 years. So these guys end up in one of the 52 D2 programs that are allowed the equivalent of 9 full scholarships. Compare that to FBS football which is allowed to have 85 players on scholarship (any player on scholarship counts regardless if they are on a full or partial) and add up to 25 new "counters" per year. There are 10,200 FBS scholarships out there, so teams can take a chance on a guy that he'll develop in a couple years.

Third, since there is no "going pro" coming out of collegiate wrestling, the school you attend doesn't have huge implications on your future success. In football if you aren't in FBS your odds of getting drafted drop through the floor. That isn't a consideration for most wrestlers so guys can make decisions based on academics or other factors.

Also, most of the data that we can look at for the competition between D1 and D2 guys comes from MMA, Freestyle, and Greco. But like the Chael Sonnen said in the interview at the top of this page, not everything translates across these disciplines. A D2 collegiate wrestler might be a world class freestyle guy, just because his skillset suits those rules better.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Isn't there also a wealth of talent that doesn't go to a D1 school because of academics, by which I mean they choose to go to a better academic school or for other reasons. I think I remember hearing about Shane Carwin not electing to go to a d1 school because he wanted a better engineering program and Matt Hammil choosing a less ranked wrestling school because he's deaf.

Carwin wrestled for Western State here in CO and wanted to play football and wrestle. Obviously the wrestling in CO at the high school level so getting a big time program to notice him would be hard (though Wisconsin has a HW from Loveland who I think looks really good for a RS freshman). He was a two time all American in football and was listed as a top MLB in the draft until teams heard about his back problems. So he went back for his last year and won the national championship at HW. Then after he graduated he got a job as an assistant at Mines (Go Diggers!) while he pursued a degree in mechanical engineering.

E: and it's not just me that likes Connor Medbery, he was named Big 10 freshman of the year

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 13, 2013

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Sigh Kron really needs some new friends

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Kyle Dake just won his international debut against Hassan Tahmasebi of Iran. Both periods went to the tiebreaker. First period Dake lost the ball draw and had to defend. He reversed almost instantly with a great crotch lift to win the period. In the second Dake won the ball draw and as soon as the referee blew the whistle Dake high crotched and flipped Tahmasebi over his head for a 3 point takedown and the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

David Taylor just won his match with a fall snapped his opponent down and caught him as he tried to sit out

BURROUGHS TIME