Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

dokomoy posted:

I know Iran has a really strong wrestling program, how good was the guy Dake fought?

He wrestled Hasan Tahmasebi who is 31 years old and took second in the 2005 and 2007 World Cups. He might be a bit past his prime but he is certainly not an easy out.

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6sAHJ09b5M

And here is Taylor's pin of the reigning world junior freestyle champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gg3FAhdc1A

e:

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Lost For Words posted:

I'm retarded, how did Dake win the first tie breaker? Was that exporsure?

Yes

E: That's a 3 point move!

Get..the...gently caress..back...aw hell I'll take my pushout

E2: Oh and Burroughs said in an interview after that he had a molar knocked out during the match. And he just kept attacking like nothing happened. Dude is whatever the next level above beast is

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 17, 2013

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

McNerd posted:

Would anyone mind breaking this down? I've been given to understand that you can't just shoot in without doing something to clear their arms out of the way (either distracting/faking them out or physically clearing them or whatever), or they can just block you easily. Here it looks like his first shot gets stuffed for exactly that reason, but then he just blows through the resistance and does it anyway. Of course that would be a great oversimplification of the technique involved even if it were true, but surely it can't be true?

As Khubetzy goes for the underhook, Burroughs gets his hands behind Khubetzy's knees and establishes almost picture perfect head position. He keeps his head up and his back straight and just drives through it.

It's also a bit like this guy in that some people are just such freaks that a lot of the normal rules just don't apply.

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 17, 2013

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

A choke would have been very hard to pull off there. Burroughs has head up with is forehead right in the center of Khubetzy's chest. With his head up back straight it would be nigh impossible to push his head down into the armpit to set up a guillotine. If Burroughs had his head down with the crown of his head in the chest it would much easier. It's a lot like being on top in guard. Back straight, chin up makes it very difficult to break posture. But if you are looking down at your opponent it's almost impossible to keep your posture.

The other thing that Burroughs does arguably better than anyone else is that he keeps driving and powering with his legs. He never gives up his forward momentum he continuously adds to it. You can see it in the takedowns from his gold medal match in London.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

McNerd posted:

If anything I'm imagining something like an ezekiel. Or this one choke Daniel Gracie teaches, which I don't know the name of, where from a Thai clinch you slip one forearm down across their throat and grab your biceps.

But that said, no doubt I'm being wholly irrational in worrying so much about this which is probably my issue.

If you're hitting that strong of a double and your opponent has the timing, skill, and presence of mind to go from defending the takedown to sinking an Ezekiel in a split second like that, tip your hat to him and shake his hand. You probably weren't going to beat him anyway.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Jordan Burroughs says "Sit your Russki rear end down so I can get a techfall"

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

Its because Trigg didn't have the UFC's wrestling biased rules that disallow Buffer's biggest stylistic advantage, his suit

To bring this all full circle, one time in Tulsa, Frank Trigg took on a guy from Tulsa Judo Club in a grappling match. Guess what happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTm94LbLNQE

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Rener and Ed O'Neil with golf-whisper commentary.

Something needs to be done about Ed's mic. I can hear everytime he takes a sip of water

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

:laffo: they brought in judges because people wanted winners. And the judges rule the first match is a draw

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I bet it's a draw

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Bahahahaha burn it down

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Nifft posted:

Don't know what his strategy is, not going to accomplish anything by running away. Better to try and get submitted.

Don't end up on bottom, use the neck grab to shut down tornado guard, disengage whenever possible, try to catch something fluky when cyborg takes a bad shot

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Cyborg just cut a sweet promo

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Metamoris 3 Legends Division: Eddie vs. Royler

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

How many matches are left? I can't justify paying $20 just to watch Eddie Bravo and a Gracie despite how much I want to see the rematch.

3 matches left

Eddie vs Royler isn't on this show

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I was thinking of some other fights for metamoris 3:

Wallid Ismael vs Royce
Rickson vs that guy from the beach fight
Renzo vs. Eugenio Tadeu
Terere vs flight attendant
Rolls vs his hang gliding instructor

Ya know just some of the epic old time matches

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Ed says gently caress your family friendly broadcast

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Ice Cream Kron Gracie?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Borrrrrring

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

HOLY poo poo A SUBMISSION!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Guillotine somersaults!

I was quoting that guy in the crowd. That was an awesome finish

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Jordan Burroughs won his third straight world championship today, out scored his opponents 34-3, and has now won 65 straight at the international level.

Jordan Burroughs broke his ankle and had surgery to insert a plate and 5 screw. LESS THAN FOUR WEEKS AGO

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

He also said that since his surgery he had only wrestled live once before today, and started drilling again just last week. His entire training regimen for the world championships was riding an airdyne. And he still stomped his way to a gold.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Is this the thread for talking this year of NCAA wrestling? tOSU-PSU is live on BTN right now and Stieber just went down in OT

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

I hope so because I don't think there is enough interest for a thread of it's own. I'll probably do a fantasy league thing for NCAAs again this year though.

Penn State @ Iowa will be on the Big Ten Network at 9:00PM Eastern on Saturday night. Everybody should watch because it should be a good meet with multiple matchups between top 10 ranked guys. And Hawkeye wrestling fans are the worst people in the entire world so you can join me in mocking them as they yell such insightful comments as "stalling" and "what is he doing ref?" within seconds of the start of each match, regardless of what is happening on the mat.

And it'll be my first chance to post "sit down and shut the gently caress up Tom brands"

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Retherford is the true freshman that beat the king of 141 Logan Stieber last weekend.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

MalleusDei posted:

I'm interested to see how this all plays out, if anything happens at all. My school is a Carlson Gracie affiliate. We actually had Junior in for a belt promotion/seminar thing since I've been training. I know my instructor is legit, but there was some drama around the patches, and the competition team name recently. Something like Junior wanted some extra cash to keep the Carlson Gracie name on the patch, so we ended up getting different patches with just the instructor's name on them.

That's one of the things I love about my current coach. He's been around long enough, and is respected enough that he doesn't have to claim any association and doesn't give a poo poo about things like patches.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Gilman was at least able to hold his own to start the first but faded badly as Nico turned it on

BIG FALL FOR RAMOS

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Wow I'm surprised Dzoewa chose neutral. And he'll lose for it

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

That was a weird scramble

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Nice working loving yourself out of a bonus point brands

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

That should just about get it for psu

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I don't know what other thread to put this in so I'll put it here. Billy Robinson is dead.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

lamb posted:

I joined a BJJ school this week and I've only taken one class so far, but can any of you give a newbie some advice that me any tips as to things I should/shouldn't do in class?

I joined primarily as a way to get a different kind of exercise other than running, so I don't have a lot of background on etiquette and I don't want to do anything dumb or that could be considered disrespectful :ohdear:

Slow down, breathe, no really slow down, constantly remind yourself to breathe.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

district of thizz posted:

Seems like everyone focused on ball washing as opposed to etiquette. From my experience, bjj classes are much more informal than the traditional martial arts classes I've taken. I wouldn't worry about any sort of disrespectful gestures especially since you're already aware of it. The most basic advice is prevent injuries to yourself and others (don't spaz, practice moves with control, and be mindful of taps).

As a sidenote, whenever you roll let your partner know beforehand that you're new and if you have any existing injuries/ailments (shoulder, knee, etc).

I think it's because those of us who have been training for a while can deal with newbies that spaz, that muscle, that cross face too hard, really that do anything so long as they are chill and don't smell.

So be chill and don't smell, your BJJ experience will be amazing.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Don't behave as if you are suffering muscle spasms and therefore unable to control the motions of your limbs.

Better? Good lets get back to talking grappling.

As an aside I hate when my calf spasms and cramps up bad mid roll. Trying to work the cramp out while maintaining guard is a lot harder than it sounds.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I've rediscovered my love of arm drags. They're so much fun and can be hit from almost anywhere

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Cross posting from the A/T thread:

DFW BJJ Goons: Jacare Cavalcanti is going to be at Octagon in Dallas for a seminar on Saturday March 22. All are welcome regardless of affiliation. Price is $140 for non-members.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Big Ten championship finals are live on BTN! Jesse Delgado and Nico Megaludis up first at 125!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Sprecherscrow posted:

Dear god, Delgado just had him in a Boston Crab.

This match has been really tense with crazy scrambles