Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Hooray! A new grappling thread.

I have a question; I have ridiculously flexible knees and ankles and so I've never been caught in any kind of kneebar or ankle lock and I've always managed to twist out of it or out-anklelock them. Because of this, I've usually told opponents after rolling that getting a leg lock on me will be very hard, and that if they don't get it it's probably not from bad technique, just my body being broken. The result of this is usually that people stop going for leg locks on me, and welp, that seems kind of detrimental to everyone involved. Should I just start keeping my mouth shut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

MycroftXXX posted:

Yes, eventually someone is going to seriously wreck the poo poo out of your knee or foot because you keep saying your super flexible.

Yes, the thought has crossed my mind.

Also thanks Mobn, you're a star.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

You do not want this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce0m8Buc86o

The popping sounds were his knee.

Yeah, that's pretty :gonk:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
That dummy would wreck my poo poo.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I also want to add that he's a fantastic instructor, and his warm-up exercises are just hell of fun. Crawling races and GI dodgeball are not unusual activites in his club.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

Wear a mouthguard though, for real.

This. I've chipped off a tiny piece of the front of one of my front teeth after gnashing them together too hard in a choke over my chin, and while this is not only expensive to have fixed, it's also impossible. I've tried to have it fixed three times (only had to pay once), and it doesn't last.
Always wear a mouth guard!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Why don't you want to roll in thai shorts? I do it all the time. I prefer them to board shorts. Thai shorts over long compression tights is the way to go. Ladies love it.

I'd roll with you in a flowing white gown ANY DAY. Chicks love flowing white gowns.

Ps. this is probably bad timing but I'm in new york until at least mid-may, and if I don't get to hugroll with you until then I will be very cross

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Boregasm posted:

I turned a dude's front tooth into dust today due to accidentally headbutting him off a botched butterfly guard pass, so if you aren't wearing a mouthguard yet, please do so.

He probably feels bad, but I feel sorrier for you. I'm more comfortable getting injured than actually injuring other people, it makes me feel like the world's biggest rear end in a top hat.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
The amount of time it takes to get a blue belt is pretty nice. I appreciate the fact that it takes a certain amount of time and dedication rather than just passing some arbitrary test. On the other hand it makes me sad, because unless I move somewhere else on a permanent basis, I'll never be anything but a BJJ white belt, no matter how much time I put in.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Point taken, but you wouldn't be a LEGIT blue belt. This might not have any practical value in itself, but let me use my own instructor as an example. He's a traditional jujitsu brown belt who's been training on and off for 17 (maybe 18) years now, and his grappling is pretty drat decent.
He wanted to compete in the Norwegian open championships (which counts as an IBJJF competition, I believe), and did well in the advanced nogi, but they wouldn't let him compete above white belt level with a gi, because he had never been graded by anyone in BJJ.
It's not a problem for him anymore, since he trained for a month at Roger Gracie's academy in London and was awarded a blue belt by Roger's dad.
Norway is a small place, and I'm not sure if you can get away with awarding yourself a blue belt.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
My rear naked choke is so terrible and my spindly nerd arms are so weak, that this is a real threat to me every time I fight a stronger opponent who knows about this movie. My RNC is so terrible that I go for an armbar from the back before I go for the choke :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
If I never make a post on this forum again it's probably because CortXbomb forever gogoplated me to death, and my dying wish is that someone deletes my search history

thanks

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Being flexible provides you with options and allows you to get away with some things but you're better off if you learn how to not have to get away with them. On the other hand I do wish I could omoplata people who have me in side control.

Exactly this. I'm hell of flexible, but I really wish I had a way to turn it off and react to positions and learn techniques like a normal person once in a while, or maybe that I had to stretch my way to my flexibility so that I could have actually learned proper movement and positioning instead of just rubber legging it.
Right now I'm working on flexing my legs and keeping them strong when people try to pass my guard. It might seem like an obvious thing, but when you're used to just being able to.. magically shove a knee in people's way when they try to pass, these little details have a way of eluding you until you start rolling with purple belts and above.

And to reiterate what everyone who warns me against relying on flexibility says; It's the easiest way to get hurt.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Pooned posted:

Ugh, i wish i had the opportunity to wrestle from an early age in school. I am currently studying to become a phys-ed teacher for primary school and i will be damned if i don't have playful optional grappling sessions with them instead of the usual soccer/basketball/volleyball every day sports.

My students won't be bullied!

Good luck getting these kids to understand how grappling isn't totally gay.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I'm paying $980 for five months of unlimited training, where I can train pretty much from morning to evening on all days except saturday (just an hour) and sunday.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
God drat that head

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
So Mark Bocek came into the place yesterday and is really, really strong and really, really good. That's all.

e;

OrangeCrush posted:

Rolling with the gi on is like the sickest video game you ever played on crack, man. I mean its just loving awesome! something about the grip game and how much everythign is "slowed down" makes it incredibly fun and strategic.

Eh. I find nogi a lot more fun. But I guess I've always preferred twitch-gaming anyway, so..

VV Yep! It's pretty rad VV

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 8, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Pooned posted:

Bohemian Nights, whenever you get your black-belt by Marcelo Garcia

Haha, no. If I even get a blue belt I'd (try and fail to) eat my white belt.

Yuns posted:

Are you in NYC permanently Bohemian Nights? I think there are a few of us in the greater NYC metro area: me, CortXbomb, fatherdog (if you include NJ), Holland Oats, Danny Cadaver and perhaps some others. Of course, none of us actually know each other.

I wish! But I'm in NYC at least until the end of May, then I start roadtripping around with my girlfriend until july. I've already met cXb, and I knew FD was close, but I didn't know there were so many other sasmma goons in the area!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

OrangeCrush posted:

A friend of mine just started at Marcelo's, Short bald headed purple belt, brazillian kid. Should have a Fight Sports South Beach patch on one of his gi's. kids a student of bjj, with a sick grip and spider guard.

If it is who I think it is, (a featherweight?) I have rolled with him several times!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Me and Bohemian Nights still have to roll and should film that. Maybe before or after watching UFC 128 next weekend. Depends on how badly my body is falling apart that day.

We can make this happen!

Also, Biafraid, no-one can really prepare you for your first competition. It's something you have to experience for yourself! I think the most important thing is to just to relax (and remember to breathe). Unless you're some kind of prodigy that just rolls over everyone on your first go, you'll learn a lot from the competition; About what you can make work, and what works against you. You'll also probably gas like gently caress from going 100% from start to finish while holding your breath.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Maybe wrestlers should stop ruining everyone's good time in our gay pajamas manhugging sport.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

shizen posted:

is it strange to go to other schools to free roll on open mat days-they charge like 20 bucks but I can stay for few hours-? Do they take this as a challenge to own me? I'm not very good but been at it for close to month now and starting to get some of the basics and would like to go against some new people but not sure if this would be a good idea at my level.

I don't think so. I assume you're american, and there seems to be a bigger sense of rivalry around here than what I'm used to, but so long as you're not some crazy spaz who is out to dojo rush the club, I'm sure no-one will mind that you show up to open mat to just get some variety in your partners. I roll with people on open mat who I've never seen before all the time, it's not that I get insulted or suspicious, it's just cool with more people to roll with. Probably wouldn't be so cool if you were some kind of secret blackbelt who is there to humiliate people, but as a beginner, who cares!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Pretty much. There are extremely few Norwegian black belts, and even fewer back when Einemo was on the rise. It's hard getting a belt when there's no-one around to award you one, and very few people will give you one without having trained with you for a good while.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Caio Terra speaks out against jits competitors that use roids to get an edge in tournaments. Any opinions or thoughts on this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H93vTXeYwG0&feature=youtu.be

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I did not compete, no. I didn't sign up because I had two weeks of midterms up until this week (almost no training, just constant reading) and just didn't feel ready. Also a supreme lack of confidence in my own abilities to perform in competition. In the end it was a good thing, because I couldn't have competed anyway until the LIQUID NITROGEN BURNS from the MC I picked up heals-- but I was there cheering on teammates all day! Several gold, silvers and bronze to MG academy!
Paul and Enrique (two of the black belt instructors) got gold and silver respectively, and several other dudes of all belts went away with pretty medals too.

e; also sprained my wrist earlier in the week. I have so many excuses not to compete. I can do this all day.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 17, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Spectator attendance is just $15, but competing was like $120, yeah. The price seems kind of stiff, but it was a very tightly run ship, and it (almost) pretty much ran on time throughout the entire thing, which I've never seen in a tournament before.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Here's a video of a guy from BJJ weekly rolling with Marcelo Garcia.
AS A BONUS:
From the 1:00 minute mark to 1:50, something much more important is going on-- You can see me rolling VERY slow with the dude with the gray rashguard and black shorts. If I knew we were getting filmed I'd do something exciting~ alas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1KSBYmmxFo&feature=feedu

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

fawker posted:

So cool :)
Have you ever rolled with Marcelo before? Whats it like rolling with one of the best guys in the world?

I have! Marcelo rolls with everyone when it's open mat. It's a mixture of humbling, impressive and depressing, because you're shown just how little you know and how incredibly far you have to go.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 19, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Gomi Pile posted:

you are partially wrong. marcelo garcia is no longer considered a grappler.

Tell us why, Gomi Pile, tell us why

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Gomi Pile posted:

he hasn't been very active in competitions in the last few years because he's "training for mma" which means beating up goons in a gym somewhere.

and i read about the tennis ball squeeze in A Book, so its got to be legitimate.

Gomi, he won the mundials in 2010, will more than likely compete this year too, and has been competing every year forever except 2008

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
My mollescums are gone. It's monday! Time to trai--- HOLD UP, what's this?

Oh. Oh, it's a cold with a fever. Thanks, universe.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
The nicest thing anyone has ever said to me was that he thought I was a solid 165 at least. I'm only over 155 after dinner~

Although, I've been mostly sitting on my rear end for almost 3 weeks eating oreos, so that might have changed.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Pres posted:

Sadly not, the older instructor left to teach in Dubai.

And people say there's no money in jujitsu.

Doing anything in Dubai must be a goldmine

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I would still take the bags of money to teach some prince there anything

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Nierbo posted:

Fuckin awesome. Still my idol then.

Edit: We did a bunch of new waza after judo practice today, and I was totally buggered. It was a bit embarrassing. I asked the brown belt that does BJJ on his off days from Judo what I need to do to improve my cardio and he said 'running. thats all you need to know'. Is that really all I need to know, just run every day?

I'm sure running helps your cardio, but.. no, that is definitely not all you need to know. I can only speak for me, but I almost never run because of some issues with the muscles in my calves, but I can pretty much grapple high intensity for 30 minutes straight if I have to, and I have. In my opinion, the best way to build up stamina for grappling is to grapple, because god knows I haven't done anything ELSE to do it.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
My RNC's are really terrible too. It's sad because I have a pretty solid backmount-- starting to work with the seatbelt grip has helped me, though, and my years of being a lovely choker has made my armbar from the backmount pretty good, so there's a silver lining anyway.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

fawker posted:

^^^ on that note...
I grappled with some filthy highschool kid the other day, I made sure to to home asap and shower right away, but I've broken out in these weird pimples in random places (my thigh, neck, arms, shoulders). I'm already using antibacterial soap. Is there anything else I can do other than not rolling with that filthy rear end in a top hat to prevent a Randleman-like disaster?

Google Molluscum Contagiosum. Also see a dermatologist.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

fawker posted:

Why the gently caress is it so hard for people to just bathe. Im gonna go to the docs later tonight instead of BJJ, never gonna go near this kid again. Reading all your posts have me scared :(

I was out for three weeks and had two cryo treatments because of Molluscums, and I consider myself lucky. One guy at the gym was out for three months because they kept coming back. If I were a religious man, I'd pray for you that it's not MC.
Good on you for going to the doctor.

awkward_turtle posted:

Good seatbelt stuff

We were doing a lot of seatbelt last week at Marcelo's. I'm taking the liberty of adding your posts to my class notes about it. :3

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 11, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Yeah, every picture of every skin condition you find on google images will 9 times out of 10 be an order of magnitude worse than what it really looks like on most people. The cryo burns from the liquid nitrogen looked a lot worse than the actual molluscums-- they were just tiny red dots after training, and otherwise just skin coloured.
My dermatologist also told me that if you just see a few molluscums pop up, you can use a sterilizsed needle and take care of business yourself by popping the skin and squeezing out the core, and then drowning it in rubbing alcohol or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

I really want that Royler Bravo rematch. I bet it doesn't happen because Eddie really has nothing to gain and at this point, Royler probably doesn't care enough.

It would be really fun, but as much as I like Eddie Bravo, I'm not sure how much money I'd be willing to put up for him beating Royler a second time.