Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

KryonikMessiah posted:

Perhaps with Einemo's schedule suddenly freed, we could see him show back up. Plus it'd give Zuffa something else to say about him.

?

Did I miss something? I thought he got a contract with the ufc or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Thoguh posted:

Pajama hugging should be disease free.

If only normative ethics could be made into law~

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
God damnit, Royler. Not cool. :( I want this rematch to happen.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Nifft posted:

Any place near central new jersey (Princeton) to roll no-gi? I'm out here for the next few weeks but would like to keep active.

If I don't know the place, I usually just go on google maps and start searching for every variation of jujitsu I know. Something usually pops up.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

KryonikMessiah posted:

So my finances are starting to get a bit tight and I won't be able to attend the kickboxing gym i've been going to for the past year since moving to the state :(. I come from a six year BJJ background and I really prefer grappling to being punched, and we have a pretty nice local Judo club that seems to both be cheap and ran by our state USJF guy here in Fayetteville.

Would Judo be right for me? Also, would any of my habits and learned techniques from BJJ hinder me, and is there anything I should try and be mindful of in that regard?

This is a very good question, and I think you'd be better served if you also ask the question in the A/T martial arts thread. There are a lot of very good judo guys there!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409544&pagenumber=7

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

dokomoy posted:

The last time a ton of people showed up to watch ADCC was when it was held in Long Beach. Obviously ADCC should join the Mundials and Pan Ams in Socal every year.

A ton of high as gently caress dudes watching grappling sounds like more fun than any grappling tournament I've ever been to

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
This is my last week at Marcelo Garcia's before I head back home to Norway (after a brief detour to florida) so I've made sure to train every day, and man, I wish that was an option back home. It does kind of dominate your entire evening, but it hurts so good-- and I feel like I'm learning more, too.

Oh welp. Three times a week will have to do. :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Thoguh posted:

Because that's what they are called.

Also, this argument pops up like every ten pages.

Don't mind Gomi Pile. He hasn't made a single worthwhile post in this thread since it was created. His kind of posting is a sad side effect of this thread being in PSP, I suppose.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Calling a shovel a shovel, a retard a retard.

Also, really good posts, dokomoy. Thanks! It's cool to have some kind of guide for the event. For all my interest in grappling, outside of a few of the head names, I don't really know anyone anymore.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

henkman posted:

Unless someone already did this, in which case I would like a link.

It's not like a "bodydrop hipthrow" or whatever would make more sense than something in japanese. If I care enough about the post to wonder what a word means, I just google it, and there's usually a ton of animated gifs or videoes available immediately.
Omaplata doesn't make much sense either, you know?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

henkman posted:

A man has his legs between you and him to prevent you from having an advantageous position. You attempt to pass by his legs so he has no defense against you anymore and are successful. Congratulations you now understand "Passing the Guard".

Cool. Now do that every time you mention a BJJ technique in a post.

Gomi Pile posted:

actually it would make a lot more sense because i know what body, drop, hip and throw mean.

You wouldn't have any more idea what the technique would entail at all. The only thing you'd know would be that it is a judo throw, which is exactly the same thing you know from the japanese word.
Also we've had this discussion to death already, can we please just not do it again.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Apparently one of the woman's winning champions used her victory speech to speak out against steroids, and called for testing. Neat. It'd be nice if the confederation would listen.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Even as someone training, a lot of high level jits competition matches are just boring as hell. I can't imagine someone with no background in grappling finding it enjoyable at all.

Watching two good blue belts go at it is often more entertaining than two black belts.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 8, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
The fun matchups never materialize.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Here's an idea for side control, at least!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RxgSaoK--E&feature=player_detailpage#t=200s

My advice for top mount is to tuck your feet tightly to the side of, almost underneath your opponent, and on heavier opponents I like to ride up underneath their arms for a very high top mount, where they can't really use their strenght to defend their arms, and they have a harder time moving me around with their hips.
Although personally, I've had more luck using a knee-on-belly approach on guys that are a lot bigger than me instead of trying to maintain a mount, atleast until I see a strong opening.

By riding high on the mount, I get a lot of armbars and mounted triangles, and the latter seems to work very well regardless of the size of your training partner.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Thoguh posted:

I usually figure the A/T thread is for bullshiting about training and answering questions for newcomers and this thread is for discussing high profile competitions.

In that thread we talk about us doing martial arts. In this thread we talk about other people doing it.

That sounds like a reasonable way to look at the threads. It's also my impression that the martial arts thread is moderated a little closer than the grappling one, seeing as this one is in PsP, and all.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EafzHj184-0

This is pretty similar, and pretty amazing.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Book it, Dana

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Nierbo posted:

Another one for you RR, or someone else.
When an opponent turtles up they expect me to stand over them from behind or try a turnover, but whats to stop me from doing a darce choke? Seems like no one ever expects that. And they can tuck their chin as much as they want, it won't make the choke less effective right?

Seatbealt to backmount when people turtle. All day errday.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I've stopped paying attention to who's competing at ADCC until I see the live stream, because this is just history repeating itself.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

BlindSite posted:

When my wound finally heals (staph now clear) it'll probably be 3-4 weeks since I've been able to train, almost $500.00 in medical expenses and just under 2 weeks of missed work.

Yikes, that's no fun. Sounds like you did everything right to prevent it from happening, too.

Clean your mats!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Yeah, regularly bathing in bleach or showering several times a day probably isn't very good for you. You're wearing down your horny layer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratum_corneum

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Read this very interesting article on what it's like to compete at ADCC if you're not an A-lister. Considering the article is named "The disaster tournament", I'm sure you can imagine the contents.

It's fascinating reading.

http://zinganobjj.com/adcc-the-disaster-tournament/

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Martial arts people aren't known to be too smart or too computer savvy, so it could be either or a combination of the two.

Regardless, the housing thing is hilariously bad, and the general favoritism of a-lister competitors is definitely not doing anyone any favours.
I mean, allowing one competitor to be a kilo overweight while choosing to hound another (who makes weight) throughout the entire day is just ridiculously unfair.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

the periodic fable posted:

how long are we going to let this fighters are dumb meme live

I didn't even know this was a meme, but have you seen an(y) episode of the ultimate fighter

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

HATE MONDAYS posted:

you are probably approximately as dumb as the people who actually make money for being good at it

I would never dream of thinking anything else. This might also be how we know.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

hopper2k posted:

I noticed they have 12 mats, so that should keep everything moving pretty fast.

Watch as 11 of those go mysteriously unused while everyone waits for the last few fights of a division to close up.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Good luck in your tournament! Have fun! :)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

bjj tournaments aren't really a full day of activity like say hiking or climbing or skiing. It's more sitting around, followed by furious calorie burning.

Seconding this. You'll spend 95% of your time at a tournament doing nothing, stressing out and wondering when it's your turn and worrying that you won't hear your name when it's called out on the lovely sound system. My personal anxiety is wanting to make sure I've used the toilet in good time for a match-- but since you never know when your match is up . . .

At the last few tournaments I've attended I've only cornered team mates, and it's been a much more enjoyable experience. I think it's been a year and a half since I last competed myself.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 22, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
What was that? I am confused, but it was both weird and wonderful at the same time. Also, Nick Cave soundtrack.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Has anyone posted this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t5g8Fuar0U yet? It's beautiful.

Our Gay Sport.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Smartest thing you can do is probably go there and inquire about their free classes and try it out for yourelf!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

I think he's calling them both wrong. You should screw around and drill the essential moves to a high level.

Has worked pretty well for me, if you look away from my tournament record! :v:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

the periodic fable posted:

There's nothing wrong with putting your knees in positions like the guy on the bottom. That's completely normal and anyone who says anything else obviously doesn't stretch enough.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

Could you post some of your knee stretches, I'm really looking to limber up my patella?

I was actually joking, because the position of the knee in that picture looks absolutely grotesque, but that's not to say I don't do it to myself all the time, although I'm trying to avoid it.

As for knee and flexibility stretches, for better or for worse, I've was given a mastering the rubber guard book in my first month of training, and I've been using a lot of Eddie Bravo's stretches from that book before basically every training session, and although the stretching portion of that book has been given a lot of flak from some people, it's been good to me.

I suppose the butterfly stretch should work pretty well for your knees until you can finally get them flat to the ground. I've kind of reached that barrier a long while ago myself, so I'm actually looking for some new stretching routines as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS6ju33eeow

I do wonder how much of knee and hip flexibility is genetic, though. I very much doubt I'd have the flexibility I have today if I weren't "born" with it. Hell, I'm fairly certain I'm even more flexible than cXb, although I never got to find out :v:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

I was following your joke with a joke because you can't stretch a joint. It was not a good joke.

I am but a simple man. A joke within a joke is too complicated for me v:shobon:v

Edit: Oh, this won't do for a new page. Here's joe rogan talking about jiujitsu again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDZZ5qZc6Dk

I like what he says about the ego when beginning jujitsu.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 22, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
That guy does not seem like a good or particularily well informed person.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

fatherdog posted:

Got my brown belt today. Feel good about that.

Alright, I'll feel pretty good about that. Congratulations!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Hey Fatherdog, award me a blue belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006