Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I am quite close to getting a little 3d aircraft. I think I'm going to pick up the pylon plane they make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I want a little 3d plane. Hobby king has a ton of ones under 50$ that come with just the plane and motor :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__434__191__Planes_ARF_RTF_KIT-Sport_2C_Aerobatic_26_3D.html

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Nerobro, if you're serious about this hobby you should pick up a DX6i. It's a real radio and will let you have control past 1km. Also has a shitload of features and you can totally change the way the plane flies.

I like to build not buy:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532138

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Something feels like cheating when it comes to using dual rates and expo.

I learned to fly before ARF's hit the market. :-) Lemmie tell ya, buildinga plane just to crash it is a harrowing experience. My first "real" plane was a Future Flight Thermal Thing. A near 2m HLG that I put heavy servos in and flew off a high start. I built it with the wrong dihedral, yet it still flew well. I think it actually flys better than the one I built properly...

I have also built from scratch.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Sweet man. I built a kit out of balsa long ago but never flew it, was too scared. I love foam though! Gonna put a camera on the old .40 trainer one of these days.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Getting a good radio right away is always a good idea and a DX6I is pretty cheap. The only limit I have run into with mine is I am always out of model memory and have to decide which planes to keep ready to go.

I make my own as well but I have never been good at cutting out kits so I bought a CNC router to do that part for me. Designing planes in sktechup is so easy.

I made up some new parts for my Tricopter frame and shot a short video of it the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AXlnqLi430

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm a flyer rather than a builder, my most hand built plane, the Slow Stick is still a kit.

I can however, not recommend the DX6i enough. Its a great TX.

I think D/R and expo are cheating if you leave them on all the time, but for learning , they're nice to help you not stuff a brand new plane.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Vitamin J posted:

Sweet man. I built a kit out of balsa long ago but never flew it, was too scared. I love foam though! Gonna put a camera on the old .40 trainer one of these days.

Balsa flys amazingly. I am willing to bet, I could make a balsa version of my T-28 that's the same weight, and won't flex during maneuvers. :-)

And given how beaten to crap my current airframe is, that might not be a bad idea.

...... now i'm going to spend $40 on balsa and a balsa stripper. I hate you.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Trip report: The Litehawk XL CANNOT lift an 808 keyfob camera more than a few inches off the ground. I'll need to remove the case and strip the copter of a few non-essential components to make it work, or... get a bigger helicopter, or a plane.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Second option!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Actually it appears that the battery is toast. I tried the copter afterwards with no camera, no body shell, and with the "sissy bars" removed, and it could barely get off the ground. I've got some more batteries and gears on order, and I'll try again. It's had a pretty hard life as babby's first copter so I'm not surprised that it's running a bit poorly.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
So here's a quadcopter I built, with an onboard camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGndj9ZLhLs

I'm hesitant to put a bigger camera on there for FPV now because it feels like the KK boards are really unstable.

Helldesk
Jan 6, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

I'm hesitant to put a bigger camera on there for FPV now because it feels like the KK boards are really unstable.

DT-750 motors and 1245 EPP props, right? How is your total weight? I have got 1045 props on mine and they work fine otherwise but they do not seem to produce enough lift to tax the DT-750 more than half their available power. I have been thinking about trying 1245's on mine but the cheapo ones perhaps cannot last being used so far outside their intended RPM or with the loads I would make them lift... and spontaneously snapping props on a quad are a Bad Thing.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Helldesk posted:

DT-750 motors and 1245 EPP props, right? How is your total weight? I have got 1045 props on mine and they work fine otherwise but they do not seem to produce enough lift to tax the DT-750 more than half their available power. I have been thinking about trying 1245's on mine but the cheapo ones perhaps cannot last being used so far outside their intended RPM or with the loads I would make them lift... and spontaneously snapping props on a quad are a Bad Thing.

Yep. EPP1245 - not APC's. I should weigh it again but I think it was slightly over 1-1.2kg so yeah with those bigger props it hovers at less than half stick.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

Looks like it flys pretty well. The KK boards are as stable as your tuning makes it.

This is an onboard video from my tricopter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjkAb27z2YA

I really need to get some better motors. I am using the shittiest motors from hobbyking and the right front motor has lost sync on me a couple of times with the expected results.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

helno posted:

Looks like it flys pretty well. The KK boards are as stable as your tuning makes it.

I'm kinda cheating though - there's a FY-20A stabilizer on there that I was using for "ohshit" moments. I think the copter's blades are unbalanced and vibrating though because it didn't want to level out on its own that day.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

helno posted:

I really need to get some better motors. I am using the shittiest motors from hobbyking and the right front motor has lost sync on me a couple of times with the expected results.

Can you explain that a little more? I am novice to MRs, and I thought that the controller board just controls the ESCs based on the gyro information. I didn't know a motor could go out of sync?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ease posted:

Can you explain that a little more? I am novice to MRs, and I thought that the controller board just controls the ESCs based on the gyro information. I didn't know a motor could go out of sync?

Brushless motors can go out of sync with the ESC.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

Brushless motors can go out of sync with the ESC.

This is what I was refering to.

Most brushless ESC's rely on back EMF from the motor itself to determine when to fire. If for some reason this signal is not interpretted correctly you lose sync and the motor generally comes to a screeching halt. You can restart the motor by throttling down and back up again.

One of my motors has now done this twice and it does it on sudden application of power. Because of the way the gyros work in a multirotor if a motor stalls the machine falls towards the failed motor which causes the gyro to want to rapidly increase the throttle to that motor. If you try to power down the motors the machine falls out of th sky. You can see where the problem is.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Ok so when the motor screams and stops, it's out of synch? I've had this happen a few times on both planes I have. Friend told me it was the BEC cutoff, and I just thought that sounded good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The BEC cutoff would come from overloaded servos, or basically any kind of electrical load except for the motor.

This is of course different from low voltage cutoff

helno
Jun 19, 2003

ease posted:

Ok so when the motor screams and stops, it's out of synch? I've had this happen a few times on both planes I have. Friend told me it was the BEC cutoff, and I just thought that sounded good.

That funny electrical sounding squeal is a loss of ESC sync.

As has been said it has nothing to do with the low voltage cutoff or receiver battery elimintator circuit.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Here's some recent vids from my scratchbuilt planes, my 50" wing and 32" Cub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_6rsOcEi4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjPpYtdCDyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN1w35CR8dw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi-GDR0LWqs

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Those videos are rad. I really want to get into FPV.

Can you give me some kind of primer on what I should get and how much I should be spending?

Right now I have a supercub lp converted to brushless with a bigger wing that is built for carrying extra weight.

I use a dx7, so I'd need a video radio thats not 2.4ghz correct?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

It's good to start simple. All you really need are: video transmitter and receiver, small security camera, goggles or TV screen, and an RC plane. I have about $200 in my main FPV plane and ground station while some people spend $5000 or more, so just look around.

A Super Cub would be perfect, nice and slow and stable. The DX7 not so much, but will work ok for close range. The problem is that Spektrum isn't designed for more than 1500 feet, and the signal can be blocked by trees or houses etc ( someone walking in front of you). It's also a digital system so you go from full control to control lock-out with no warning. With analog 72mhz you will get glitches and jittering from the servos before losing control. I lost my first plane 500 feet from where I was standing because of Spektrum control lock out.

Anyway, you should start reading here:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?116-FPV-PILOT-TRAINING-CENTER-YOUR-ROAD-TO-FPV-SUCCESS

That forum and that thread in particular have tons of info. Don't be afraid of registering and asking questions, those guys have been known to mail out old gear to newbies just to have another FPVer flying around.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

BTW, who are you on there? Found ya.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I think we may have found a use for my old spirit 2m. A pod on top with a motor.... and away we go.

What do they use for long range radios? say.. a mile.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

I've gone over 2 miles with a $40 used 72mhz Futaba and a $20 Corona synthesized receiver. Some people have reported 4 to 5 miles with the Corona rx. You can also double the length of the rx antenna for even more range. The Corona you want is the RP6D1 (6 ch.) or RP8D1 (8 ch.).

For "long range" (like 10 miles+) people use LRS (long range systems) which transmit on UHF and can go massive range, like 50 miles, but that's on a whole different level.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The quadcopter FPV guy at our club uses some sort of 400 mhz thing which requires him to have an amatuer radio lisence. It is very erie seeing that thing fly off at high speed towards the horizon.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

helno posted:

The quadcopter FPV guy at our club uses some sort of 400 mhz thing which requires him to have an amatuer radio lisence. It is very erie seeing that thing fly off at high speed towards the horizon.

I'm guessing that's 433Mhz, and yeah, you need a HAM license

Helldesk
Jan 6, 2007

Yeah, Dragon Link uses 435 MHz apparently, which is in the HAM range. ChainLink seems to say it's 431-435 MHz. OpenLRS seems to be 433 MHz. I wish there were more ISM bands with usable duty cycles and power allowed...

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Well technically you're supposed to have an amateur radio license if you're transmitting >1w anyways. So if you wanted to do long range 900mhz / 1.2ghz / 2.4ghz / 5.8ghz then getting the amateur's license might be a worthwhile investment. It's supposedly not that difficult to get.

Speaking of which, I really should get off my butt and do the AMA park flyer membership

Helldesk
Jan 6, 2007

Oh sure, not hard especially if you have a hobby that deals with electronics. I was just lamenting that you probably can't use your HAM licence and thus the LRS radios for anything other than amateur, and thus hobby, purposes. Having a reliable (to a degree) radio control that isn't on 2.4 GHz would free that frequency for the video link. I'm going to go with the allowed 25 mW maximum on 5.8 GHz.
I'm in Europe and I know that one guy on another forum went through a lengthy application process to have a permit to use 200 mW on 5.8 GHz for his video link - in a very specified area. :sigh:

Looking at the frequency allocation tables, the lowest ISM band that might possibly be usable for anything is 869.650 - 869.700 MHz - if the duty cycle is < 10% and power is 25 mW maximum.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Good luck dude on that 25mw 5.8ghz. I know there's a lot to be said about being legal, but you're gonna have maybe 500 meters max range with tuned antennas. Maybe 1km if you had everything dialed in and a high gain antenna.

In the US anything over 10 or 50mw or something is illegal even if you have a HAM, if the signal is analog. The 1w rule is for digital like the FHSS UHF system. I'm illegal, basically everyone else is illegal, but we use the HAM license to show that we want to be legal but the law is too outdated.

There are 25mw 2.4ghz systems which you would have better luck with as long as there wasn't Wifi interference. 5.8ghz is awesome but you've gotta have at least 100mw.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Wait, I thought that the 1 watt limit in the US applied to the 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz spectrum because that's what wi-fi's using, etc. I'm pretty certain that most consumer routers are transmitting >25mw.

Helldesk
Jan 6, 2007

Vitamin J posted:

There are 25mw 2.4ghz systems which you would have better luck with as long as there wasn't Wifi interference. 5.8ghz is awesome but you've gotta have at least 100mw.
Haha, as if. Guess what the power limit is on 2.4 GHz for dumb analog transmitters? 10 mW. Sure, the lower frequency helps a lot, since power requirements for achieving a given range roughly square when doubling the frequency, but the noise floor is probably much worse what with all the b/g(/n) wifi hotspots and microwave ovens and poo poo around. Besides I'd have to get a good radio that sniffs where the video link is on the 2.4 GHz band and which then uses the rest of it instead.

What I would like to find is an affordable low latency digital system that can use the maximum allowed 100 mW at 2.4 GHz. High-end professional stuff is out of the picture. A Raspberry Pi might be an interesting hacking platform...

Meanwhile, I made these little friends to help with getting the most out of 25 mW:

Those are circularly polarized omnidirectional 5.8 GHz antennas that reject multipathing very well. I couldn't get the signal to degrade when testing indoors (very preliminary, just checking if the modules worked). A highly directive Rx antenna should also help, but there's no reason to get ahead of myself. These should be plenty to get usable video from within line of sight, which is all that is allowed anyway for RC vehicles. Even a kilometer should be doable with omni antennas, weather permitting - if I could just find equipment to tune them with for frequencies as high as these! As they are, they're probably ok enough to get started though.

Helldesk fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 15, 2011

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I soldered together some 900mhz circular polarized antennas last night. They're such a bitch to make, and the 900mhz range ones are HUGE. I hope they work.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Helldesk posted:

Meanwhile, I made these little friends to help with getting the most out of 25 mW:

Those are circularly polarized omnidirectional 5.8 GHz antennas that reject multipathing very well. I couldn't get the signal to degrade when testing indoors (very preliminary, just checking if the modules worked). A highly directive Rx antenna should also help, but there's no reason to get ahead of myself. These should be plenty to get usable video from within line of sight, which is all that is allowed anyway for RC vehicles. Even a kilometer should be doable with omni antennas, weather permitting - if I could just find equipment to tune them with for frequencies as high as these! As they are, they're probably ok enough to get started though.
drat, nice job on those! Check out the Helical antenna, it's a directional CP antenna and really good. I still doubt you'll get 1km with omnis, I barely get 1km on CP omnis with my 200mw 5.8ghz system. I'd be glad to be proved wrong though!

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I decided to make a small DLG from plans I downloaded a while back.

The design is called the MiMi and is a 1m span with a solid balsa wing.

I didn't think I was up to carving a solid wing that big so I did the natural thing and drew the wing in 3d in google sketchup and had my cnc router do it for me.

Here is the partial fuse and the centre section of the wing. The tips are still on the machine being cut.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I want to build a new HLG. With modern servos and radios I could knock down the whole flight control gear down to the weight of one old standard servo. :-)

I'm a ham.. so I can abuse the radio waves. *grins*