Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am teaching a photojournalism class and I want to end the school year introducing the students (high school juniors and seniors) to drone photography/videography.

I am looking at purchasing a drone that I can work with myself and then have the students work with as well. I was looking at a DJI Mini 3 that has a screen on the controller (with the fly more combo set up for multiple batteries, etc)

Is this a good system or is something better? Is there anything I need to be aware of before getting this?

https://a.co/d/4M1pf6Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I think it will be okay because I am purchasing this out of my pocket, not through the school which does receive federal funding.

I tried to get grants to purchase some drones but nothing worked out (and would probably have encountered that issue with buying a DJI drone)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I am now looking at a DJI mini 4 pro (thanks for the recommendation) especially for the omnidirectional obstacle sensing. I see 2 bundles on Amazon for $1,379 each. One has a “full USA warranty with a 1 year DJI refresh plan” and another has a “full USA warranty with a 2 year extended CPS warranty”.

Which one is the better option to go with?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I got my mini 4 pro drone and I went to register it as a standard remote id (due to the battery weight). I had read that the cost is $5 but when I go to register, it shows $50. I changed the options and it only went to $40.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I went back through and found the FAA Drone Zone page. Apparently, Google is such poo poo right now that instead of leading to that page, searching for “FAA Drone Registration” lead to some random page that tried to charge me $50 for what included stickers and a lanyard.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks. All registered! (And only for $5)

I cannot wait to try it out!

Edit: thoughts on the Pilot Institute’s program to get 107 certified? I am in the process of looking into getting it while I just do my rec learning.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 2, 2024

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Thanks. I checked and I am good. I had a feeling because I am out in the middle of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Quick legal question: we went to my in laws house for the eclipse and I brought my DJI mini 4 pro. They live near an extremely small airport but their house was just outside of the restricted airspace. I was showing it to my wife and decided to do a circle quick shot around the house. In the process of doing this, it entered the restricted airspace. Right at the end of the shot, it popped up on the screen that we were in it and that we took full liability for anything that happened. It finished the shot and we landed.

Is there anything that we need to do or should we be expecting anything from that? My wife is concerned that we are on a list now.