Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I am wildly on the verge of buying a dji mini 3 pro. Don't think I can wait till my birthday. Ugh I wish I had it right now.
ordered...now we wait

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

The RCcontroller is worth it IMO. It is nice having your phone separate, downsides are that you will still have to wirelessly tether it to your phone to log into DJI, and that you can't install custom apps to it even though it is just android.

I believe they updated the firmware so that the RC will work with the air 2s as well.

E: Not to be confused with the RC-pro, which is the one that costs $1,200, bet that one's nice too and you can install apps to it, or so I'm told.

yeah I got the RC (my phone is so old it won't work with the N1) and the bigger batteries...and the insurance...ugh, 1400 bucks total.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 24, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

so my dji mini 3 pro will get here later today and I'm hype. In the meantime I'm sure you all heard they updated the firmware so it can work with the headset and motion controller:
https://i.imgur.com/vBhtHsy.mp4
pretty sick, but doubt I'll drop more money on this project soon, gonna try and get a lot of flight time before I go back to the well.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Dji mini 3 pro is here! I put in 30 min of flight time yesterday, made it a mile from the house in few different directions, only got signal dropping out when I tried to get lower cause I'm surrounded by houses. Also did a night flight just hovering above the house to see how landing was at night (went totally fine). Getting a lot of poo poo sorted out and getting used to the camera controls and systems...had some issues with "autofocus" blurring out half the screen, but think that's sorted. Hrm...I'd say so far this is the coolest RC I've ever played with in my life. Can't wait to mess around with the activetrack and obstacle avoidance stuff at low altitude.

Oh I did buy the landing legs that look like mech spider legs and it makes landing a breeze, highly recommend:

Don't worry I did not forget to bind my controller and UAV to my drone insurance, and also I did all the compass/imu/RC calibrations. They really should have made a guided walkthrough to do all that stuff but oh well.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 1, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

:same: if they went for the big battery option.

yeah did both big batteries and landing gear. hell I'd strap a spoiler to the drone if it made it look cooler.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

just encountered my first strong wind warning and it freaked me out so I came right back and landed. LOL. I'm so nervous to crash this thing and have to go bushwack to get it back.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I flew my mini3 pro all over a city center yesterday and it was awesome. I got some great videos, got to use active tracking with my buddy, and also freaked out some window washers at the top of a building. It performed amazingly. Active track can lose people if they go around a corner too fast, but it still works really well. I did lose signal at one point while trying to circle a skyscraper that was bout 1500feet from where I took off, return to home kicked in and got me back to signal...still scary seeing the RC screen go black and white and all the warnings are lit up LOL. Lastly, I flew at dusk in the back yard and discovered the obstacle avoidance doesn't work at all in low light, almost flew straight into a wall showing the thing off, be careful!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Please do not

everyone giving me poo poo, I immediately flew away from them when I came around, wasn't trying to be a problem. anyway, thanks for the input, I get it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

thanks guys, I'll keep my drone experiences to myself from now on. oof.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Had my drone following me on a walk and had to snap a pic of it with this flair in the background looking like it was riding the flame:

in case you all were wondering I've been following the FAA rules and am being a responsible drone owner, still haven't crashed once nor annoyed anyone.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I still haven't touched my spinning props onto anything but air. I did have a forced landing after doing a long hyperlapse and just made it near my yard, that was fun. I keep the whole battery chart up now while I'm doing hyperlapses so I don't get anywhere near forced landing territory.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

With modern DJI camera drones, it’s actually quite hard to crash them (for drones notwithstanding). They have proximity sensors on every surface, and they’re monitoring everything.

The closest I’ve come is a hard landing on the roof of my car, which I chalk up to the downward facing sensors looking through the sunroof and thinking it had further to go than it did. When I land in the center of the roof it never has issues.

there's some interesting software option edge cases that seem to make it way more likely to crash. One being if you put obstacle avoidance on bypass instead of slow down, when you do any banking the drone almost goes to 45degrees, basically does the fastest/hardest banks possible. so if you're just flying around low to the ground with that option set you'll have it do violent banks sidways (where I don't have sensors) and it is very likely to crash. It makes no sense but that's what happens.

Also I've had a new problem where once I take off, I'm stable and have gps lock everything is fine, but when I first get to altitude of like 100ft plus my drone starts drifting, then after about a minute of flying it straightens out and doesn't have the problem again. anyway, lessons to learn, you can in fact drift into stuff on accident but if you're really familiar with these dumb nuances you can avoid issues.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am teaching a photojournalism class and I want to end the school year introducing the students (high school juniors and seniors) to drone photography/videography.

I am looking at purchasing a drone that I can work with myself and then have the students work with as well. I was looking at a DJI Mini 3 that has a screen on the controller (with the fly more combo set up for multiple batteries, etc)

Is this a good system or is something better? Is there anything I need to be aware of before getting this?

https://a.co/d/4M1pf6Y

just get a mini4 pro. way more features (tracking, waypoint missions) and way better controller (for range), also has 360 obstacle avoidance which is very nice (you can also watch the sidways cams picture in picture to see what's near you, it's so cool).

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Juando290 posted:

Part of why I have not retired it. I am always amazed at how pinpoint it is on waypoint flights on its timing. I can set a watch to its estimate of how long the flight will take and it is always within a few seconds. I was kind of annoyed that the non pro mini 3 didn’t have waypoint flight when it is many years newer and cost quite a bit more than my bebop… I didn’t research because I just assumed newer (like, 6 years + newer) name brand would get me the same or better features, so that’s on me. But the range and flight time on my mini 3 is easily 2 to almost 3 times better. The farthest I ever managed with the bebop was about two miles away under control, but my mini easily goes 5 miles away with a strong signal if I am at elevation in non inhabited places.

my mini3 pro does not have way point missions. there's some external software you can use to get the Mini2SE and the Air3 to do waypoints, but it doesn't work on my mini3pro...it's so lame.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am now looking at a DJI mini 4 pro (thanks for the recommendation) especially for the omnidirectional obstacle sensing. I see 2 bundles on Amazon for $1,379 each. One has a “full USA warranty with a 1 year DJI refresh plan” and another has a “full USA warranty with a 2 year extended CPS warranty”.

Which one is the better option to go with?

buy it straight from DJI otherwise the warranty can be fucky (so I've heard). I got the 2 year warranty for mine which I kind of regret, but we'll see as I'm getting more bold with my flights so I may end up needing it soon. Also getting the flymore bundle is very useful. You want those extra beefier batteries. I can sit down and fly for an hour straight with all my batteries (the controller lasts for many sessions before charging).

also if you have issues with your drone jump on the dji forums and complain and they will get back to directly and guide you to a repair or whatever, and they usually send you a new drone if something major is wrong with yours. going through amazon would be an ordeal.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 23, 2024

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://v.redd.it/v2cdorqzx5lc1/DASH_1080.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Thanks. All registered! (And only for $5)

I cannot wait to try it out!

Edit: thoughts on the Pilot Institute’s program to get 107 certified? I am in the process of looking into getting it while I just do my rec learning.

check drone maps and find out if you can't fly in your area first.
https://portal.airspacelink.com/discover/advisories?loc=30.21801%2C-104.11899%2C3z
https://app.avision.io/B4UFLY?lat=40.73061&lng=-73.935242

also that mini 4 is gonna blow your mind. I remember the first few times I flew my drone and had that brain fog cause I was just overstimulated, poo poo is wild that it works at all let alone extremely well. and that's all before you gently caress with tracking, which is spooky.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

crosspostin' the most dangerous drone selfie

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Well I guess I'm a real drone pilot now, I had my first crash.

Lesson is to not get in a rush to deploy. I've gotten really hasty taking off before I get full gps lock because I can just climb up and let it drift around until it gets lock and I'm good. This time it lifted up a little and I started moving it forward and it just stopped taking vertical input while simultaneously drifting forward not letting me correct, then crashed. The recovery operation was sketchy af. Cracked two propellers, gimble seems fine, but the drone was covered in water from landing in wet grass, I quickly shut it off and pulled the battery and dried everything off. Haven't changed the props yet so not sure if there's other issues.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Hopefully not :rip:

They can be pretty unstable without a GPS lock. I leaned this the hard way with my bebop by doing basically the exact same thing you did and watching it shoot off backwards behind me at full speed

Well the post on the motor where the propeller screws in is warped. I tried replacing the props you can't tighten one down all the way. So I've initiated a repair with dji. Ugh. Drone hamstrung by one tiny screw.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

drone defense grid closer to being a thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbe2kAo79zo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l93qdR5XbzQ

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Had a bugstrike on my drone, YUCK

I saw some bugs swarming in the video feed, at 150ft up. Guess it blended a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I’ve never had one that gnarly but I’ve definitely seen the remains of sliced up bugs on the blade edges.

now that I've looked at the video it was literally a swarm of bees that hit my drone.