Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Does anyone happen to know of an RC Joystick transmitter? I'm thinking something that looks like an Atari joystick that I could map both forward/reverse and right/left channels to for someone with fine motor movement issues. A couple extra buttons would be nice but not really required for what I'm after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I understand I'm not quite in the right place, but.

The transmitter I'm looking to buy/build will be used to run a ground vehicle, likely a truck or something similar that can take a tumble down some stairs knowing the person I'm sending it to. Something that can be operated solo as well, I won't be there to piggy back off of. Some good ideas I might be able to turn into a ground station which would honestly be pretty cool if I could stick it in a pelican case w/ the truck.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I just got access to a mavic air and want to learn how to fly it properly. Are there any good youtube tutorials I should go through first? Will mainly be for taking videos and photos.

Just fly low for your first trip out. To just take off and buzz around is as simple as pushing the 'take-off' button in the app, main thing to remember is that sports mode turns off your avoidance sensors. There's a bunch of guides talking about how to get better footage out of it too.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 25, 2021

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I've only recently started looking at options, so I am not yet married to anything specific. Honestly hoping to find an off the shelf 2.4ghz joystick transmitter or similar then finding a truck to buy build or refurb. I'll probably need to tune down the truck as well, but that's no real issue.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Don't be these guys.

https://twitter.com/alexbloor/status/1429391804126859264

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Helicopters are just further into their design cycle, tell me people wouldn't be lining up to fund Igor's contraption if we hadn't already done it.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Just here to brag a bit, passed my drone pilot exam! It’s pretty easy, just be comfortable with section charts before you go into it. ASA has a test prep app called Prepware for $5. If you can pass that you’re pretty set to pass the real test.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Yep, CFR 14 part 107 sUAS. I'm now allowed to post things to Youtube.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Just make sure you pick the right app, there's one for remote pilot, one for private pilot, one for A&P mechanic, etc. I've already been sure to let people know that I can now accept money.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Here's some random vlogger on what the FAA told him. The 107 test isn't exactly cheap, but it's nothing compared to a $100k fine if at some point the FAA decides to start issuing fines for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDiJXIXedFQ&t=143s

If it's never really posted to the public you'd probably get away with it, but it's too much risk for me given that I'm looking to earn other FAA certs in the future.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I can't say how much work it would be , but they really just need to get your IP from Youtube and have it forwarded to you / get your details through your provider. Again, I have no idea how much effort that would be, but from my limited viewing experience the tremendous fuckups are monetized out the rear end so it's not a huge issue.

Don't be this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDcDZ6rmGE

Or do, I'm not you're real dad.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cyberlux-corporation-announces-mr-paul-123000220.html

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I would definitely register a DJI mini only as a CYA maneuver. As far as if you can fly, what you have looks right to me. Make sure you’re filing with LAANC before you do though.

If you want to drill a little deeper, this link takes you to the master list of section charts that are meant for VFR pilots, but it’s worth getting familiar with the different types of airspace for drone purposes.
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/vfr/

E: Oh wow, I checked out the other link given, so, just no drones in DC huh?

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 20, 2022

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Yeah they use a "sticker" drone that attaches a homing beacon to the bottom, and then they follow the beacon back to the owner. If they can't attach the beacon mid-air, they will shoot it down and pull any prints off them and add it to the FBI print database for future cross reference.

I don’t remember this bit from the test, but I do remember the bit where the FAA explicitly says I’m allowed to fly around ports, and that the postmaster is required to report it to the DHS if they feel froggy.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

(In the US) remote ID will be required from September 16, 2023 on, unless it gets delayed again.

(Also in the US) If you’re filing LAANC requests they’d probably be able to figure it out. Other than that it’s old fashioned war driving to track the signal I think. Maybe subpoena DJI or whoever for flight records.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Between the 107 and Forklift certs, people know I am not to be trifled with.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Couldn’t find a combo shirt, but this one gets the general vibe across.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://youtu.be/wB55Gq0X-rQ

Awhile back, someone asked about drone tracking. Here’s how it works with the DJI proprietary software, similar to how the Real ID system is intended to work.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

It’s more the thing that Karen will use to summon the cops to your location. If the FAA doesn’t back off it will require, among other things, for the current location of the drone and base station to be broadcast.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I haven't yet tried these, but they look cool as hell. You buy the motor and battery kits and the kids can go off and make their own paper airplanes and fly them with a phone.

https://www.poweruptoys.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvh8J0h8mN8

The below sell small paperboard plane kits, would run you a couple of hundred for the kit + transmitter. Between 2 and 3 foot wingspans and up from there.
https://store.flitetest.com/ft-mighty-mini-tiny-trainer-mkr2/

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 17, 2022

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I don't have any models to suggest, but I had good luck with toy helicopters too. Just be prepared for rotor dents in the ceiling.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Dear Santa,

Please see the enclosed image.

A little jealous of the acreage, I don't get far enough out of the city to justify buying something as large as this. ~5ft span
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-grumman-g-44-widgeon-seaplane/

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

lol @ that list. Wonder if the hydrogen fuel cell one is any good.

Big fan of the fixed wing backpack recon drones though.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

Also, is anyone else excited about low-risk BVLOS coming for advanced pilots? (According to Don Joyce https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKjoSDs8Ttc The thing that was promised for 2022 might actually be coming in 2023. It's almost enough to make me get off my rear end and do a flight review.

I haven't been following the FAAs rulemaking for BVLOS, but am a little concerned that it will be arranged in such a way that the hobbyist probably won't want to go through the hassle. I am a little excited for unrestricted shielded flight, if there is a manned aircraft flying below tree top level, they're at fault.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I've only heard rumor about it so far, but the idea is you should be able to fly your drone in areas shielded by other features. For example, if you are flying around a house there isn't any reason for a manned aircraft to be there for you to interfere with.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

We fly below treetop level regularly for our surveys. (Helicopter).

Have you considered a $5-$20k drone instead?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Sure, it only needs to be able to reliably fly a 40 mile section of pipeline, in temperatures from -30 to 50C, winds up to 50knots.

We are actually looking at a RPAS system for that (and other projects), but that's a $1 million dollar system. If you know of something that can do that for $20k, by all means, tell me?

I was just talking poo poo, but appreciate the actual reasons.

slidebite posted:

With the <250g drones getting so drat good (mini 2/3, Autel Nano, etc) with 4k/60, or higher - OTHER than video pros doing really high end production type stuff, why would an "average" hobbiest want anything but a <250g nowdays?

I don’t see a whole lot of advantage to the sub 250g drones. It’s nice to have something small enough to throw in a pocket, but regulation wise you’re not really gaining much ground. Saves you $5, since you don’t need to register. When Remote ID comes into play, you won’t need to comply I guess.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 5, 2023

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I should start marking my post with :911: , didn't realize the Euro rules were so stringent, in that case I could see bigger advantages to the sub 250g drones.

evil_bunnY posted:

You want to drop low velocity 40mm grenades on mobiks' heads.

More seriously, the cameras and lenses are better, the range is usually longer, and so are flight times. Compare a mini 3 to a mavic 3 and you'll get the idea. If you've got even more money they start carrying interesting imagers.

DJI sells larger capacity batteries for the mini 3 with ~45 minute flight time too!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

DreadLlama posted:

I think your cheapest option is still the mavic 2 enterprise dual.

Unless a third party has an attachment, I agree with this. All the other good options I'm aware of are substantially more.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I sent off a few letters for you, but I'll warn you that the only interaction that I've yet to experience with an elected federal representative is staffers poking around my linkedin.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

They don’t call it the ‘worry free combo’ for nothing.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I am wildly on the verge of buying a dji mini 3 pro. Don't think I can wait till my birthday. Ugh I wish I had it right now.
ordered...now we wait

The RCcontroller is worth it IMO. It is nice having your phone separate, downsides are that you will still have to wirelessly tether it to your phone to log into DJI, and that you can't install custom apps to it even though it is just android.

I believe they updated the firmware so that the RC will work with the air 2s as well.

E: Not to be confused with the RC-pro, which is the one that costs $1,200, bet that one's nice too and you can install apps to it, or so I'm told.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 24, 2023

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

slidebite posted:

I presume the landing legs take you over 250g?

:same: if they went for the big battery option.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

You really got lucky here. You shouldnt be losing LOS around a big building like that, let alone control and video feeds. For all of the above mentioned reasons, but you cant trust RTH to do the right thing in a busy city area where it has to deal with a large building. People smack the backside of buildings when their drone decides to RTH and either cant ascend because it hit its altitude ceiling or doesnt ascend enough. Big buildings are also usually covered in antennae and towers that pose a thread to RTH-ing drones too.

Not to be that guy (I am definitely being that guy), but these are all of the mistakes newbies usually make, except you did them around a giant building with people around.

The thing with return to home is, out in a field somewhere you can just set it to a couple hundred feet and it will just overfly everything on the way back, but in a city you're completely relying on the (admittedly pretty great) obstacle avoidance and that it doesn't try to land in the worst possible spot.

LifeSunDeath posted:

thanks guys, I'll keep my drone experiences to myself from now on. oof.

I wouldn't say that, but I would make mention that people from the internet seem to love reporting completely innocuous poo poo to the FAA all the time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanrupprecht/2020/12/17/drone-pilot-received-182000-proposed-fine/?sh=25eca1e32fe0

Some guy out in Philly got slapped with a proposed, but as of yet un-issued fine of $182,000 for violations including this. Fair to mention that he was well into the FAAs education counseling at that point. Saw an interview with the guy, he seems confident that the DoJ isn't going to issue the fine, but has no assurances of that.

Choice quote

quote:

A few places in the letter alleged multiple flights that were very close to multiple buildings and structures. Many people think Part 107 prohibits just flying over people. It also speaks to property and many people miss this point. Section 107.19(c) does not allow you to cause undue hazard with your drone to people’s property if a loss of control were to happen for any reason. Some of the flights were very close to buildings and the FAA is arguing that this was an undue hazard towards the property.

There appears to be at least two instances where the pilot lost control of the aircraft (I’m guessing beyond radio line of sight) and these instances the FAA states were violations because 107.19(e) “states the remote pilot in command must have the ability to direct the small unmanned aircraft to ensure compliance with the” the regulations. It’s one thing to go lost link due to some equipment malfunction but another to exceed radio line of site intentionally. We now have 2 more violations.

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 3, 2023

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

You’re very unlikely to hit anything or hurt anyone flying over a sailing event. And it’s a race, so people are expecting filming to be happening anyway. So that sounds like a great thing to use your drone for.

I always ask myself:

1. If the drone crashes or falls out of the sky, is it likely to injure someone or cause serious property damage?

2. Would it be weird to take the same footage with a normal camera?

If you can answer yes to either of these, don’t do it.

Another benchmark is that an FAA reportable accident is one that costs more than $500 to fix (not counting the drone) or causes serious injury (person went to hospital).

If nothing ever happens, few people would ever care about these two, but it's more of a CYA thing from my perspective. Outside of just blatantly stupid things that people might do.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Related to recent chat, here's some going over FAA drone enforcement trends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNb72vLFBYs

A couple of highlights; The number of enforcement actions is increasing over time, the Northeast FAA branch is by far the most active, and most enforcement comes as a result of property damage or injury occurring. Nothing too surprising, but it is interesting to see it in black and white.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I've been noticing drone job opportunities for wind farm inspections lately. I'm not really available to travel currently but I find it interesting to start seeing job openings with the title "UAS operator".

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

FEMA summer camp posted:

I've wanted a drone for a while now and got recently got myself a mini 3. I was flying it around a few weekends ago and a falcon (I think) attacked it. Fortunately it recovered and I got the drone back and also I was recording when it happened. Here's the frame with the best view of the culprit:

I guess my question for everyone is does this sort of thing happen very often? Do I need to start keeping a lookout for prowling birds of prey?

Additionally, how lucky was I that the drone recovered? Is recovery from mid-air collisions something that most drones can do to one extent or another?

The crows where I'm at are not fans of drones, but I've never had one take a swipe. Never had a run in with a hawk or eagle.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Trying to decide if flying a drone into a light post at full speed counts as a crash if the drone never stopped flying. Only damage was a dented prop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I don't have a good link, but the latest on NASA's Ingenuity is that they broke the rotors on a sand dune when landing.

https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/

The pictures I saw showed the shadow of two blades with broken tips and the shadow of another was missing.