Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Started getting into quads a couple of months ago, figured I'd show off some of the family. The 250 is a Strider I just finished building and have barely had time to maiden.

The Super-X is getting fpv gear whenever ReadyMadeRC gets some stuff back in stock I've had backordered for a while. I'm using Dominator v2s with the Nano FPV and the Strider.

There's a couple more side shots of the Strider in the album if anyone is curious about how anal I got with cable management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Ok double post but:

These types of quads is what I'd like to take a stab at. Little ones, but with brushless motors and good decent props. Is there one particular kit that is head and shoulders above the rest?

If you're looking for H quads, look into the Strider, Blackout, Minion, QAV250. If you're looking to go cheap, there are Chinese knockoffs of the Blackout you can buy on Banggood that are crazy cheap. You'll need to source the PDB for them though, but they are available on RC Groups.

Astronaut Jones fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 8, 2015

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

A Yolo Wizard posted:

every online shop that sells multirotor parts should have little pdb boards, unless you want some sort of specially shaped one with all the non motor power spots.

There's nice ones purpose built for the Cloneout and Blackout frames that are pretty nice.

I still think the Strider is the most solid of the bunch.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

It should also be noted that you can get a cc3d for $15 from Banggood.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Speaking of Super-X's, I put some FPV gear on mine tonight:

70g with a 750 mAh battery on it.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Mister Sinewave posted:

Nice! Well, how well does it perform?

I haven't gotten a chance to try it with the gear on it, but it's pretty zippy normally. I don't think the added weight is going to really hurt performance much. With where I have the camera mounted you can see a fair amount of the props, not sure how annoying I'm going to find that.

Also that little RHCP antenna for costing a bloody fortune is sort of crappy. I've had to recrimp the connector on the end twice just from playing with it and I have a feeling it's going to die the first time I crash hard.

The stupid multiwii board gives me a ton of trouble trying to get it armed so by the time I was done soldering it up and getting it put together I gave up for the night.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

That Super X is awesome, did you 3d print the camera mount?

Yeah, I had a coworker who has a Ultimakr print out the landing gear and camera mount for me.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

There's also this: http://fliteevolution.com/product/clearview-fpv-goggle-kit/

It doesn't solve the hearing aid issue though.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

slidebite posted:

Shot from about 650' over my lunch hour the other day. Got it up to about 750' after that but ran out of time and couldn't try anything higher.

Not to be a nag but assuming you're in the U.S., the FAA requires that you stay below 400'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Interface with Multiwii, wat?