Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shodansown
Nov 8, 2007
I've recently been thinking about exactly this quite a bit. I was wondering if theres a market out there for aerial photography at much lower costs than having actual aircraft do fly-bys. Surveying, real estate photography, whatever.

I'm not normally an entrepreneurial person, but flying RC planes and getting paid would be rad, and I think there could be a demand if its impressively cheaper than the real plane version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shodansown
Nov 8, 2007

Ola posted:

Oh I think there's definitely a market for that. Aerial videos as well. Think of a hotel or a theme park doing an advert. Getting helicopter video is easily four digits per hour. And you can get some quite amazing shots, going from up close or even inside a room all the way out to full landscape.

I think the microfourthirds and similar cameras would be ideal - if they can give video out while they are recording.

Hell, once the video quality is good enough, airborne RC will be a major component of the film industry. The moment the technology is viable, someone will notice how stupidly effective the whole concept could be. Just imagine all those huge cranes and zipline fixtures totally made obsolete. The technology is becoming realistic in this application pretty much for the first time right now, in terms of film-quality HD in flyable sizes.

I hadn't thought of that until just now...it makes me kind of giddy to think of how that would actually work, and how the industry would recognize the concept's potential.