Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I'd like to take a moment to voice my appreciation for how efficient the FAA has been with recreational drone usage, ESPECIALLY in comparison with the EU. I've got a trip to the Azores coming up, and wanted to make sure that I'm in compliance with EU drone laws. Despite having a common set of regulations across the EU, each country largely has its own method of registering drones and operators, and the Portuguese one is a loving nightmare. First, I had to take the EU open category test via the French aviation ministry because the Portuguese one simply doesn't work. Then, trying to register via their main UAS site is impossible because you're required to have a digital key to do so- something that's not available for non-EU nationals like myself. So I finally am able to register via another aviation ministry site, and was sent a PDF to sign that basically says "I'm the person who registered on this site." I first sign it with Adobe Acrobat, and then get an email back saying that signature isn't a valid electronic signature and that I should physically mail the document to Portugal. That's not really an option for me so I go down this huge rabbit hole of finding out what constitutes a valid electronic signature for the EU before finally throwing up my hands and signing it with DocuSign, which appears that they finally accepted. Now I can finally file my authorization requests for the areas in which I'd like to fly as any drone flight with a camera, even with drones under 250g like my DJI Mini 3, requires advance authorization as they're classified as an "aerial survey."

I think probably at least 95% of drone footage I see from the Azores is taken without authorization and subsequently without consequence for the operator, but poo poo they sure don't make it very easy to comply.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

FEMA summer camp posted:

I've wanted a drone for a while now and got recently got myself a mini 3. I was flying it around a few weekends ago and a falcon (I think) attacked it. Fortunately it recovered and I got the drone back and also I was recording when it happened. Here's the frame with the best view of the culprit:

I guess my question for everyone is does this sort of thing happen very often? Do I need to start keeping a lookout for prowling birds of prey?

Additionally, how lucky was I that the drone recovered? Is recovery from mid-air collisions something that most drones can do to one extent or another?

First off, dope-rear end shot and glad that your drone survived. I haven’t had to fight off a bird, but I’ve read that ascending extremely quickly is a way to throw them off. I’ve also considered getting a wrap that makes it look like a giant Yellowjacket/wasp in order to deter them.

Got the drone flyer’s blues right now- I’m going to Colorado and Arizona in a few weeks and want to bring my drone, but it seems like CO is a pretty drone unfriendly state, at least around Denver and Boulder. I’ll be off to Tucson next and I have a good idea of where I can fly there, but not sure if I want to lug my Mini 3 and batteries out there for what will amount to maybe two afternoon flights in AZ.

Anyone here flown in CO and can recommend some spots, preferably with cool nature and a hike attached?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

FYI, if you use a DJI Mini 3/4, their latest update turned off Remote ID unless you're using one of the larger batteries.

https://dronexl.co/2024/01/31/firmware-update-dji-mini-drones-non-compliant/

I guess DJI's logic behind this is that operators flying recreationally would use the standard batteries (keeping weight under 250g and therefore not requiring Remote ID) but this does have an impact on people flying under Part 107. Seems like a major oversight on their part and I'm not sure what they were thinking.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I have not been following the remote ID stuff at all, as someone without a part 107 and with a DJI Mavic Air 2, is there anything I actually need to do?

Per the FAA, it looks like you need to register your drone since the Air 2 weighs more than 250g. This is super simple and costs $5. Where it gets a little more complicated is that any drone that requires registration is also supposed to have Remote ID, and I think the Air 2 needs to have a separate Remote ID module. Newer DJI drones have Remote ID baked in, although as I posted, the latest firmware updates disable that for the Mini 3/4. This could be a problem for me especially since I had to register my drone in order to be able to fly within 15-30 miles of Washington, DC (where I live.)

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone

Also the FAA keeps pushing back the date where drones are supposed to have Remote ID. First it was September 2023, then November, and now it's March 2024. It's kind of a mess.

slidebite posted:

I just use Litchi and haven't attached Mini 2 to any DJI software/updated since a few days after I bought it... so probably about a year now.

Am I missing anything important?

Probably not. I wish that Litchi worked for the Mini 3.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The Pilot Institute will send you registration stickers for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Thanks. All registered! (And only for $5)

I cannot wait to try it out!

Edit: thoughts on the Pilot Institute’s program to get 107 certified. I am in the process of looking into getting it while I just do my rec learning.

I bought their course for half off on a Black Friday deal. I plan on starting it soon, but I didn’t have any trepidation about buying it because I’ve only heard good things about their course on other drone communities, notably the r/drones and r/DJI subreddits.