Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I didn't see any thread for stupid newbie questions so here we go!

I haven't done anything with RC stuff since I was a kid with lame Tyco cars and what not, but I have a general idea of how engines and motors and flight work, and would love to get into some basic plane-flyin'. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get started into this for under ~$50 while still having a good amount of fun? I'm not great with modeling and what not, but if it turns out I love something simple, I'll try my damnedest to get good at it.

I've seen a lot of people say the GWS Slow Stick is a great all around plane for beginners, but all of the kits I found don't include radios and what not, so I really don't know where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Hoeni posted:

Below 50 bucks? If you can find one (for some reason neither ebay nor amazon in the US have them anymore?), get an Air Hogs Aero Ace biplane. Used to be sold for 20 bucks and came with a remote. Only need 6 AA batteries and then fun starts. Really crash resistant, great fun and a good way to try out if its fun for you.

If you want something better controllable (the Air Ace and most other sub 100$ stuff is only controlled via using two engines - more thrust on both sides: climb, less thrust - sink, thrust on left and right to steer, you cabn tell that its such a system if it uses 27mhz), check at Harbro freigth for this here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/easy-to-fly-wild-hawk-rc-airplane-94774.html

Its a clone of the Multiplex Easystar (the silver one like I use for photo flights). Also comes with a remote and is MUCH more controllable. Pretty durable too. Use it in low wind conditions, and you can get a hang on flying. This puppy has real servos, yo you can control speed, height and direction. Not the greatest thing, but a good start.

If you can save up more, start with the Easystar RTF package. It may cost 2-3 times of the Harbor freight one, but is worth it. However for a first fix, try the tiny Air Hogs.

Any other suggestions for cheap, trainer planes? The only Air Hogs I'm finding are new, lovely looking ones and Aero Aces that are $80-300 for whatever reason, I'm assuming they're pretty hard to find now. Do you have any opinions on the GWS Slow Stick that I keep seeing people mention?

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Thanks for the tips Hoeni. I stopped by Harbor Freight just now picked up this guy: http://www.harborfreight.com/rechargeable-radio-controlled-airplane-92304.html

The "Yellow Bee," is what it's called. Hopefully it ends up not being a complete waste and I can have some fun with it :) There's a few people online that seem to love it.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Hoeni posted:

Weeeeell... not really something I'd had recommedend, but a kid in my village here tries to fly one of those.

Two things: Out of the box it is too tailheavy. It will stall if you apply full throttle, so tack a penny or two under its nose with sticky tape to bring the center of gravity more to the front. ANd: The wings are pretty brittle (which sucks, thats my main beef with it). Do not glue them back with ca glue if they break, rather use epoxy if you have that and run a strip of clear tape on top and on the bottom of the wing. Reinforces it a tiny bit.

If you want to fly it, it must be in no wind at all. Try an early evening when the breeze settled down and use the rudder sparingly. That thing will take a while before it turns and then suddenly turns rather sharply if I remember correctly.

Have fun :)

I know I'm taking a risk here, which thankfully is a fairly inexpensive risk :D The local HF has the replacement wing sets on clearance for $3, so if I have fun this weekend I'll be sure to pick up a few. Worst case scenario: I pull a "what do you mean I can't return it, I just bought it!" Best case scenario: I love it, return it, and buy the one you suggested :) Thanks again for the advice, I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread and hopefully be able to contribute more-so in the future.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

helno posted:

Those differential thrust airplanes are pretty tough to fly well so don't be discouraged by it. Getting into R/C takes a bit of capital investment what with radio and battery charging gear but if you stick to the lightweight foamy end of the R/C spectrum it is a pretty cheap hobby once you get going.

I am about to drop the hammer on a CNC router for making foam aircraft and balsa wing ribs. It does feel a bit odd paying nearly $1500 to get a tool to make $5 airplanes.
http://www.phlatboyz.com/Phlatprinter-3-Kit_p_9.html

Yeah, hopefully I'll get out tomorrow after the gym and love it. Unfortunately it might be a little windy, but it's going to be raining for the next week (Upstate NY) and I'm antsy.