Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010

IsaacNewton posted:

Wow, is that a 250? Those things seems soo agile (like too agile) Nice piloting skills.
That's a 450 Pro, which is my personal favorite heli after having owned a 250 before. The 450 size helis are very agile compared to the larger helis but are alot more stable in the air than a 250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
I had an SR and wouldn't recommend it to anybody regardless of their level of experience. That was my first heli ever (yes I went straight to collective pitch helis right from the start :iamafag: ) and it gave me lots of trouble. CP helis really benefit from a computer radio which the SR doesn't have, and the lack of one made fine tuning the heli difficult. The tail is another weak point. It's nice in that it's very easy to fix but the little tail motors are finicky and wear out quickly. They don't produce enough power and subsequently cause the tail to wag a lot. That made learning to hover difficult for me.

If you're planning to move on from the mCX I'd recommend the mSR or mSR X. If you want to go even further, the mCP X is the next best option and eventually you'll be able to handle 450 size and larger helicopters with ease.

Burn the Priest fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 27, 2011

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
If you have people to help you out then you should be fine. 250s are harder to fly but if you have experience with other collective pitch helicopters you'll be fine. The main thing is to not fly it too far away, when I had my 250 I found it would get small quickly when doing circuits and other maneuvers that require more airspace.

Burn the Priest
Apr 20, 2010
Last year I went to a fun fly at that field. A lot of those guys, including Roman (who I met), were pretty much flying right in their faces and on the deck the entire time they were flying. Even that day there was an incident where another guy was flying above his skill level on the deck, the tail smacked the ground and the heli started pirouetting out of control. Well it flew right into the pit area and hit a car, and the shattering glass injured somebody. And yet immediately after there were still about 6 or 7 guys at a time flying next to each other on a field that's about 500 feet wide without any concept of staying in their own flight box. Since that day I hadn't been there again and I definitely am not going back there now.

I fly a 700 size electric heli as well and I always make sure to keep it at least 25 feet from me at all times, but I'm going to take it out a bit farther now. Something like that could happen to anybody. Such an unfortunate incident...