Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Has anyone flown the Litehawk XL?

http://www.litehawk.ca/discover%20litehawk%20xl.html

It looks very moddable and I'm thinking that I could get one of those cheap keyfob cameras from ebay and splice its guts into the copter.

I was looking at the Airhogs Hawkeye recently but it looks a bit crappy (only 2 channels), I think I would get pissed off with it pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Vitamin J posted:

That heli looks pretty cool but it's still only 3 channels and a micro coax. 3 channels means you can fly forwards and backwards and steer with the rudder but you can't strafe sideways or move at an angle, which is the whole point of a heli imo.

You should look for a used MCX, that at least is 4 channels and has a swashplate so it's similar to a real heli. You're gonna get bored fast though so don't spend a lot on a coax.

You've got me thinking now. I may just go hog wild and get a "proper" heli...

Also the keyfob camera weighs 35 grams, quite a bit more than I thought. Even if I strip it down I'm not sure that a micro heli will be able to lift it, and even if it does, the already paltry battery life will become ridiculously short.

My main goal is to get a camera in the air, and I live in the woods, so a heli makes more sense than a fixed wing.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

ease posted:

Whats your experience with helis?

As far as helis go, I am a Raw Noob. I have some fixed wing RC flight experience but I'm told that flying a heli is a completely different kettle of ball games.

Maybe I should just go with balloons!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

helno posted:

Remember this? It now exists.

It's a beautiful thing.

Also: against advice, I bought a Litehawk XL. Oh poo poo I love it. Now I am hooked. If this is babby's first heli, I just cannot wait to suckle on the teat of the helicopter mothership.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

ease posted:

The problem with a coax is that it can't handle wind at all. Even if your sheltered by trees, as soon as you get above them a 2mph wind is going to take that thing away and you'll probably never see it again (speaking from a sad experience here).

Err yeah. I learned my lesson today. I was going great guns, I had shifted the CoG on the Litehawk XL so it could make good headway outdoors, and I took it above the treeline.

It started lazily drifting up, and away. Whatever I did, it kept going up, until it got to the edge of its range and switched off, then got back in range and switched on again. I couldn't push back against the breeze. Within about 15 seconds I realised that the heli was beyond my control and I cut the main rotor for a second or two, then reapplied full power. I knew it would land somewhere in the woods. I cut the power again and went to look for it. I staggered around in the dense woods for a while, wiggling the throttle occasionally in the hope that I could hear it thrash around, but no dice. I gained a false hope at one point because a distant cow decided that it would moo in a strangely motor-ish fashion whenever I wiggled the throttle. I nearly lost a shoe in a swamp. I headed back home, dejected.

When it got dark, I headed out again, and by pure luck I spotted a dim flicker. It was the heli's flashing LED reflected off some leaves, deep in the woods. I thought it was a firefly at first but I struck out in the general direction and then noticed it flash again, with a different colour.

It could have ended up high in a tree, it could have easily ended up in water, but nope, it landed on nice bouncy forest floor. I burrowed through the trees and recovered it, and escaped with only one insect bite.

The lesson that I learned: READ THREAD. DO NOT DISREGARD ADVICE

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Air Hogs are bringing out a new plane with a camera in it: the Hawk Eye Blue Sky.

It runs on 2.4GHz and the plane can transmit battery and memory capacity info back to the controller. It's a very basic foamy, no control surfaces, it's flown by controlling the speed of the two props. The camera looks pretty lovely compared to a keyfob camera... but.. $65! Looks pretty good for the monies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UyyLkOAiRY

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Trip report: The Litehawk XL CANNOT lift an 808 keyfob camera more than a few inches off the ground. I'll need to remove the case and strip the copter of a few non-essential components to make it work, or... get a bigger helicopter, or a plane.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Actually it appears that the battery is toast. I tried the copter afterwards with no camera, no body shell, and with the "sissy bars" removed, and it could barely get off the ground. I've got some more batteries and gears on order, and I'll try again. It's had a pretty hard life as babby's first copter so I'm not surprised that it's running a bit poorly.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
I've been messing with model aircraft for many years, and this hockey season, I landed a gig flying the blimp at a local hockey rink. I enjoy flying multirotors, and I'm currently building an octocopter. I'm aware of "public concern" building up about multirotors, but until recently I wasn't really sure what was causing this, apart from stupid media hysteria bullshit. Flying the blimp has given me an unexpected insight.

Quite often, when I'm flying the blimp at the hockey games, I get kids come up to me and want to talk about the blimp. I can't really talk to them because the blimp takes all my concentration to fly. Sometimes, though, I get grown men talk to me. They are usually late twenties to early thirties, apparently single, and they want to fly the blimp. They don't ask politely, even though we're in Canada. It usually emerges that they own a "drone", and as a result, think that they are both entitled to fly anything else, and have the skills. They have mastered flying a computer controlled machine that stays in the air despite them, not because of them. They are not model aircraft flyers. They always refer to their multirotors as drones. They are manchildren with disposable income and no respect for other people, and THAT is where the problem lies. It's a classic case of "this is why we can't have nice things, because arseholes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Don't buy any of the OrangeRx stuff! Not even once!