Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

Schottingham posted:

Since there was some talk of ethics in here, should I feel bad about attempting to mount the innards of an airsoft gun in an RC plane? I have to admit the thought of FPV dogfights make me more than a little giddy...

Pretty much I've been thinking the same thing, but instead of airsoft using real BB's. I did some research and then started thinking about drilling out an aluminum tube, mounting it to the sides of the helicopters like real military heli's, and putting bottle rockets in the tubes with some form of igniter attached to the fuses in the back.. I did some research and there are actually people that battle little remote control warships from WW2 and WW1 in lakes... They do not use BB's or Airsoft pellets, they use bigger ball bearings for shot. (dang.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

Manny posted:

I remember ARTF variants of this being really gentle and lovely to fly - should be a nice summer plane!

A while ago a company made something called a sonic combat module and you could plug it into a special port for their planes and allowed you to have combat sessions. I think if you hunt around you can see mods to enable it to work with any plane - not as exciting as real projectiles I know but an option.

Thanks Manny, I've heard about those I think but I will do some more research. When I start anything I'll make sure to post pics and info like this thread.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

helno posted:

Before you run with this idea you might want to look into some of the off the shelf solutions that already have mature code and hardware.

http://diydrones.com is home to the ardupilot which seems to be a very good all around solution.

There are tons of autpilot hardware makers out there but alot of them are quite pricey and not much better than the ardupilot.

So much useful information on here was totally worth the 10$ to get access to. Some of the ideas on this thread if they were taken to full fruit would probably get the attention of some DoD guys or something I'm sure.. Anyway responding more to what has been said The aircraft wouldnt need to hold many bb's, just like the original fighters planes they had a shot cap, doesn't need to shoot a million bb's a second so I was thinking it would only need maybe 100 or some modest amount at least to start. As for the bottle rocket missile launcher things, it wasn't really so much for use as it was a cool idea that I kicked around and drew some plans out, like Schottingham said the fun is in designing and building it yourself. Even if I shoot just one bottle rocket at a concrete wall and it works successfully it would be so cool to actually have accomplished it. It will be interesting to see at least.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

Schottingham posted:

Reliable feeding is definitely a priority over high capacity, so if 100 rounds is all I get, it'll have to do. Older planes did have unguided rockets (as do modern helicopters, which someone mentioned), so it's not that far-fetched.

I just had another idea: what if you could integrate a gun sight into an on-screen display? One that would compensate for target lead time and gravity based on your own speed and orientation, and possibly with a convergence setting if you have multiple guns. Screw historical accuracy, I think that would rule (though to be fair you can't really have tracer BBs unless you get glow in the dark ones, and fight at night)

It's not and I know it's possible with current technology, there are drones flying around killing people with real bullets, so why can't we make a mini version that just fires a couple of BBs?!

If you wanted to get that far into it ( I have thought about that as well) the size and scale of the package would be (I think) A bit too large to pack onto a small RC. But would be a better size package to pack on a small to mid size robot chasis (Are there any robotics threads in this forum? I tried to search, but this is all I could find) If you're going to go that far into development, I think you'd have to custom make your own RC, which then you could build to your specific payload package then you could store however many shots you wanted.

Schottingham posted:

What is RC for if not acting out my childish fantasies? :colbert:

Okay, so I consider myself a decent EE, but RF consistently blows my loving mind. I was reading a bit about that skew-plane wheel antenna--is it omni in a sphere pattern or just a hemisphere? My FPV gear just came in, and I'm going to be mounting it on an airplane rather than a helicopter, so if I could still do loops and barrel rolls and stuff without losing reception, that would be rad. What exactly is the benefit of that over a straight antenna?

Haha true, or it could be a catalyst for DIY amature development!

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

Schottingham posted:

But the point is for it to fly! I may have forgotten to mention that I'm talking about taking the guts out of an airsoft gun, not mounting a whole gun on the plane. The motor + gearbox I have weighs only 130g, and the barrel is a thin aluminum tube which could probably be cut down. Getting everything to fit together without the full gun housing might require some custom parts, so I'm looking into that as well. I'm willing to bet the whole thing would fly on a larger parkflyer without much trouble, maybe at the cost of a smaller battery.

But yeah, if modifying a stock plane doesn't work so well, I could definitely look into making a custom airframe. Is it possible to buy big solid blocks of EPS/EPO/some other kind of foam that I could cut?

Ok ok ok, true. True true. You didn't forget to mention, I had the same idea! Of course you'd take the gun apart and just use the necessary parts to keep the basic function in tact(Though cutting down the barrel might be necessary as well, but wouldn't hinder the operation too much) But the targeting program is more of what I was talking about when figuring in the heavier part of the package. I don't exactly know how much more gear you'd need to put on the airplane to allow for all of that, but I know it would be considerably more than just the gun part. (Not saying it's not a badass idea that I'd love to try too) Just saying it's more complex and heavier for a small plane to handle once packed with the guns/missiles? If you do take some steps in this direction I'm sure most of us on here would love to see your progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

ease posted:

It's from FPV lab user Joesa3rd :
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?6872-Checking-in-from-Northeast-US&p=395485&viewfull=1#post395485

I think you need to sign up (do it) to see the thread, but here are his specs :

Blade mQX BNF
200mw 5.8GHz VTX
Skew Planar Antenna
Pico Camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2iZm_uuE0

Thanks for sharing some info on that awesome little quadcopter. I just ordered parts to build one really similar to that. When I get them and get enough time to start the project I'll post pics as well.