Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

rotaryfun posted:

Also been meaning to ask but what's the typical charge life of the controller battery? It's the 9XR with a 3S 2200. Doesn't hurt to check it after every use but I was just curious.

Quite a while. The 9XR will work all the way down to 9v, I think, although I tend to recharge when it drops below 11v.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Vitamin J posted:

FPV plane taken on weather balloon to 100k+ feet and perfect drop. If OSD is accurate it did at least 625mph in descent, breaking the sound barrier. Fastest RC flight ever?

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?17234-My-near-space-attempt-1&p=348878&viewfull=1#post348878

Don't think he broke the sound barrier. First, he really needs the True Airspeed, as pressure & temperature variations will have an effect on the sound barrier, also the soundbarrier at 60k feet is ~660mph and only drops below 625mph at 215k feet.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/atmosphere/q0112.shtml

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there such a thing as cheap fpv equipment that doesn't suck? I'd like to do something for fpv on my mqx, but the idea of sinking a grand into fpv gear for my $90 mqx isn't super exciting.

Have the Chinese made fpv decent and affordable yet?

You're going to be quite limited to what the MQX can carry,I think.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

*Almost* ready with the FT3D (finally).
Just need to do final fitting of servos and balance the prop.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

rotaryfun posted:

How do you print out the plans for your planes? I'm having a hell of a time printing out the Duster and getting everything to line up... becoming very frustrating.

I'm to the point that I think I'm going to cut around all the parts and fit them individually rather than all the sheets as one.

Print out the tiled version, cut of bottom + side at the registration line. Line up with appropriate page, tack it with tape on the corners, flip around and a long strip of tape on the back seam.
In order to do it cleanly, you'll need a cutting mat, Xacto knife with fresh blades and at least 1 hour of undisturbed time.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So it was a double maiden: Mashed got his Caipirinha in the air and it looked real good, even if the space was a little constricted.
I had a mixed bag with my FT3D. Power was sufficient, but rudder authority was minimal at low rates and even at high rates it was a bit meh. Had to land it straight away which it did as smoothly as conditions allowed.
I changed all the rates to have 100% rudder and launched it again, but even then it was certainly not as crisp as I would have liked.
Then got my self into a bit of trouble and dragged the tail at speed and tore the elevator. Fairly easy fix, but overall performance (power aside) was a let down. Pitch authority was also sluggish.
I just tested and the control rods (2mm carbon) will bend if I lock down the rudder, which could be part of the issue, so I will re-enforce those.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, Mashed found a nice big unused field within 30 mins driving range, so we went out there today to check it out. It's rather close to the approach to YVR, but otherwise perfect. Lots of mid length/short foilage, making it perfect to do less than perfect landings in.
I finally got the FT3D flying reasonably. Still not happy with the rudder authority on it at all, but elevator is now decent and roll rate is insane...and it can do some mean tumbles.
It's on the limit of what my cheapo-non-Nanotech Turnigy 1300mAh 4S lipos can handle, but I still got almost 5 minutes out of them.
I then stuck my 2200mAh 3S Nanotech on it. It needed a little more help when hand-launching, but actually flew nicely, if a little underpowered for 3D (The extra weight gave it some stability, I guess).
I then tried another pop-top (tumble), didn't quite go as I expected, but it no longer had the power to pull me out of trouble and while I did get the nose to horizontal, it still pancaked rather hard.
Only casualty looked to be one of the rubber bands holding the landing gear. Re-launched and it was way more stable, which I attributed to the lack of landing gear, but it would not hold knife edge!.
I then noticed a bit of dihedral to the wings, pulled in into a loop and yep, it got worse.
Landed it and the main balsa spar is broken. May be repairable...

Unless I can get the rudder issue sorted out, I don't think it's worth rebuilding, but I still wanted to do a handful more flight before buying then next one (Which will now probably be a Skywing 48" Edge or MX2). It did however prove that I can (apart from when trying to do underpowered tumbles), control the larger plane.

Also emailed one of the clubs, as they seem a bit more relaxed about 'rules' and they apparently have a decent group of 3D pilots, so I'm planning to check that out too.

Mashed's new wing looks awesome and is fast. He did have a bit of crash at the end, but came out of it unscathed. It just about flies forever, even at WOT.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Spar got repaired. I also got a new servo-reversal cable, so I could mount my ASX gyro.
Launched it, flew it around on low rates to get it trimmed out and was very happy. Super-stable (gyro, Yay!) and did a couple of loops and rolls. Flicked to high rates, picked up some speed, pulled back hard and...both wings decided to depart the fuselage.
Basically my spar repair just made it too inflexible and it broke cleanly on either side of the repair.
I still got some foamboard left and know a dude with a laser cutter, so I'll build a new one, this time using carbon fiber tubes for the main spar.
The actual build only takes a couple of hours...it was the printed covering that made this one take so long.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

mashed_penguin posted:

It was pretty awesome. The fuselage kept going up for a couple of seconds :black101:

In hindsight, I should have tried to hover it back down..might have been able to save the prop!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It'll happen, but it's years away and this was mostly a PR stunt.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ease posted:

I think the difference is, and I apologize for getting all Ray Kurzweil here, poo poo is developing at much faster rate than it was in the 90s. It's easy to forget that 5 years ago everyone didn't have a smartphone.

Yeah?!. Where's my hover board?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This discussion is getting silly.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ante posted:

Are people 3D printing custom FPV planes? Or jets would be cooler.

Here's what I know:
3D modelling software is readily available and readily used by the masses.
Something that's been printed with a very low infill is ridiculously light for its size.
There are open-source alternatives to practically everything now.
Certain kinds of jet engines are pretty easy to homebrew.

Here's what I don't know:
How easily engines (probably scramjets?) can be adapted to something that is relatively small and subsonic.
If there are specifically open-source projects involving aerodynamics simulation.
If 3D-printed materials are strong/accurately printed/smooth enough to be feasibly used.
Fuel concerns.

I dunno, I don't see any reason why it can't be done, but as I said, I don't know all of the facts.

Bear in mind that you are comparing to various foam types and/or plastic-film clad balsa structure, which offers very good weight/strength ratio.
Further, you also need to be able to repair sections without having to reprint the entire plane.
3D printing is neat and I will get one in the next 6 months, but it's usage on RC planes is relatively limited (Quadcopters is different).

Further, a scramjet is supersonic by default.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Vitamin J posted:

Check out this thread for a fully 3D printed plane design. The wing sections are designed to fit together like Legos so there can be many different ways to assemble the plane:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?17014-SkyTrek-3D-printed-foldable-silent-fly-everywhere-FPV-plane

The guy is super anal and has been working on it for over a year without flying it but at least it looks cool.

FPVLab dude posted:

Again, radical change. SkyTrek (which will be finished and will fly) has two issues: quite heavy and bloody expensive to print.

Last page tells you all you need to know :)

If he instead had done foam wings/fuse and then 3D printed the folding mechanisms/connectors, he might have a chance..

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 15, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Started putting this one together last night:

48" wingspan is somewhat larger than I expected!. Still waiting for my servos to arrive from HK

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I built and flew my first r/c thing yesterday. voice/camera is my dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRoWmbUeTEs

Probably should have taken it to the field. Luckily the only thing that broke is a piece of wood.

Probably should have used less throttle!!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

3 minutes is very short for a quad.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Barnsy posted:

You'll be really happy with it, just make sure you reinforce the landing gear mount.

Skywing has changed the LG mount, so this is hopefully no longer an issue. I finished it yesterday, but I am having issues with the elevator servo jittering when centered. If I added trim it went away.
Using these servos:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24763__Turnigy_TGY_113MG_Metal_Gear_Digital_Servo_2_2kg_0_10s_12g.html

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, already browsing at HK to see what else I should order :P.
It'll be at least 2-3 weeks before I can take it up anyway. I want to rebuild my FT3D and get a few more flights on that, before moving up to the Edge...but my friendly local laser cutter dude is on vacation, so I'll have to wait until he comes back.
I mostly need it to practice take-offs and landings, as while my Crack Pitts Mini is great for learning stuff on, it does not teach you how to land!.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, very cool...one day, maybe :)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Not sure, but to reverse a servo you need one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17033__Turnigy_Servo_Signal_Reverser.html?strSearch=servo%20rever
(And still, the y-cable shouldn't have red/black flipped).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If you have the Orange DSM2 RX/TX it'll be CH5 or 6

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, I needed another plane to practice on before taking up my fancy new edge. The initial plan was to rebuild the FT3D, but I got distracted by this one:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852575

Except it isn't a 3D plane...but when I scaled the fuselage up 145%, it actually matched the proportions of the FT3D, so I'm taking the Cassutt fuselage and putting the FT3D wing and tailfeathers on it.

I'm still using Dollartree foamboard, but I'm stripping the paper off (I had to anyway, in order to make the curved fuselage) and it's saving a good 20-25% in weight!. I'm also (mostly) using gorilla glue, which is also a lot lighter than hotglue, so I'm hopeful that it'll come in under 450grams.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A couple of caevats:

While being a pilot certainly helps with flying RC, getting used to the orientations is still an issue, so a fairly slow 4-channel plane would be a better option
This one is pretty neat and can do basic aerobatics too.
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/EFL3100.html

Also, back when I was flying 'real' planes, most of the pilots looked down on RC. There was a small club that used the dis-used part of the airfield and they were universally looked down upon. Part snobbery/part NIMBY-ism, but it was there..Might be worth checking that your dad doesn't have the same attitude?:)

If you want to look at the DIY route, I still recommend http://www.flitetest.com/

(I posted a list of basic things earlier...I'll try to dig it up again)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Almost there:

Need to install control rods and finish the battery hatch.
Was going to maiden it before painting, but with the current weather forecast, I might just end up painting it first.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nice! Looks good in the air.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Maiden day tomorrow. The Cassutt/FT hybrids suffered from a painting fail, as despite using 'delicate' masking tape, it still took most of the first layer of paint with it!.
If it flies ok, I'll try to fix it (And also use better paints than the dollar store ones ).

If I'm real happy about my flying, I'll also maiden my 48" Edge.

Also got carried away a little bit and build a 'Prime8' funjet clone:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1304036

Fits easily on one sheet of Dollartree foam.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

mashed_penguin posted:

Implicit Assembler's maidens were "interesting". :ohdear:

Yeah. Even with dialled down throws it was very squirrily and I stalled out over the lone small creek of water. While we were waiting for it to (hopefully) drift to either side of the creek, a helpful dirtbiker drove into the creek, tried to pick it up by the vertstab and it broke off!. Can't really blame him and it was only like $0.05 of foam.

Electronics were still fine, so no real loss.

Next was the Cassutt/FT hybrid. It took off like a champ, but was very clearly very tail heavy and despite having done several CoG test during the build, I clearly got it wrong. Tried to float it down, but the impact was still heavy enough to break the motor mount.
Easily repairable, but I will have to re-think my battery mounting options.
For the short amount of time it was flying, it look good though.

After 2 crashes, I wasn't going to maiden the 48" Edge.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nerobro posted:

I run a DX6i. The recommended setup mixes throttle and pitch on the "throttle" stick. I think if I hit the 3d switch it just cranks the rotor speed to full and then I only have control of collective.

I think.

The instructions didn't go very in depth on how all of that works. And I haven't been able to find a good tutorial for how it should work.

That is normal. Unlike a real helicopter, you don't bother with the throttle.
Usually you have two modes:
Idle-up: This is what you use when you are just flying normally (at least until you get used to flying in 3D mode) and for starting up.
Here the throttle (stick) ramps up the RPM to 100% at the mid-point and then controls the collective in the positive range only. Power remains constant above 50% input.
3D: You switch to this once in the air. Power is 100% and the throttle stick controls the full collective range.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

Commercial flight of unlicensed aircraft has always been illegal.

The logic they currently use is basically this:
  • You must have a commercial pilots license and be piloting a licensed craft in order to fly for pay.
  • UAV/drones/multirotors are not licensed craft.
  • Experimental aircraft (ultralights etc) are licensed only for non-commercial use.

That's the same thing that got the pilot of the whooping crane migration grounded.

The article has the interpretation wrong. Trappy's case has nothing to do with the legality of flying R/C for pay. It has to do with how he was cited: for reckless flying and public endangerment.

Pretty sure you can use experimental aircraft for commercial use, as many aerobatics planes are classified as experimental and will get paid for doing airshows, etc.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wojcigitty posted:

I will probably be flying with the owner of that quad on Friday, definitely need to give it a try. That thing looks awesome.

I got out to a frozen lake this weekend and had a blast.

Edit: video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3WqLdl0N3g

Nice flying as always!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

front wing flexing posted:

Thanks for the info, that actually helps a lot.

Smaller probably better for learners but I figured you couldn't go wrong for the price.

Thanks again. I'll let you guys know how it flies and I'll try to get some youtube videos up too.

With regular RC helicopters, larger is usually easier to learn on, as they're lot less twitchy...but they're also much more complicated and expensive to repair (Which you will have to do).
I ignored that and learned on a micro :P. (I blame Mashed)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ickna posted:

This is so true for forward flight and acrobatics, though orientation and hover practice are nice on micro/nano scale because they're much more resistant to crash damage and cheaper to repair when you're starting out. My MCPX bogs down too much to do most acrobatics, and can barely get inverted without falling out of the sky or losing tail authority. However, when I just want to practice hovering and basics it's just right.

The only reason that the MCPX is better to learn on, is that it extremely crash resistant...it is also very twitchy and orientation is harder due to it's smaller size.

Larger helicopters are much less twitchy, much easier to see the orientation of the aircraft....and much much easier to break and expensive to repair.

I put a brushless (HP05) motor on my MCPX and it's now a complete monster. I've yet to get a handle on it as I've been focusing on my planes instead, but will hopefully get some more time on it when spring arrives.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ickna posted:

I've been thinking about buying one of their new brushless models, or converting mine over. How difficult was it to convert?

Sort of easy. The first ESC/converter I got was so badly put together that I ended up ordering a new one elsewhere. (bad solder joints all over the place).
I still ended up having to solder a fair few connections. So, not quite plug & play, but the soldering wasn't too bad (just wires only, didn't have to solder on the boards).
You will also need a XL tail boom as the stock one is too short to hold the power of the brushless.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ease posted:

Ha, maybe it's so you can use an extra large prop shaft clamp. People like to hate those NTM motors, but I've used a bunch of them and have had great luck.

I still have my first one and it runs like a champ, despite being on its 4th (5th?) plane. I do find that the SK3 series runs much better, but they're also twice the price...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wojcigitty posted:

Tangentially related: my new airplane is available from Twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUGTx2nJCAc

Yeah. Already ordered :) (I hate you)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sounds good:). I was about to order the Crack Yak,when you posted the hints on RCG, so decided to hold off.
Starting on 2S, but will probably buy a stack of 3S lipos later.

I'm starting to get comfortable with the Mini Pitts, but it's hard to find days where it's not too windy.
This one should hopefully give me a bit bigger window to fly in (And be more durable!.
My wife thinks I'm crazy as I keep rebuilding my larger scratchbuilds, when they inevitably break). The Mini Pitts has been a winner in that department...apart from a few hardware changes (servos), it's been my most reliable and durable plane and after I rebuilt the control rods, it's been a lot more precise too.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 28, 2014

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

My Bixler 2 is on the way :woop: and I already have the other accessories I purchased.

I have never flown any RC aircraft before. I plan to dive straight into FPV because as far as I am concerned, when flying RC the aircraft is the one having all the fun and I'm not standing for that :colbert:

It's a bad idea.
You'll need at least 1 flight to check for CoG and trim and while I suppose you in theory could do that FPV, I suspect it'll be hard to do.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

Meanwhile I put NTM 28-26 1200Kv motors on one of my DJI clones and one crash destroyed the bearings on two of the motors.

My first motor was a NTM 2826 and it's still alive despite multiple crashes, including a straight nose-on full speed hit into a metal pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally got my motor and finished building this one tonight:

(Cody's latest creation).
Hope to get out of work early enough to maiden it.