Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

slidebite posted:

Nice

I learned the other day that my Mini 2 doesn't like flying in icing conditions.

-10C with fog. Ice started forming on the props after about 5 minutes and it refused to hover and pancaked.

Landed absolutely flat and seems to have suffered zero damage, even though it hit fairly hard. Tough little drone.

Are you allowed to fly in icing conditions? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Freezing does not mean icing conditions. A good indicator is the dew-point spread. The once it gets within a couple of degrees and you have *any* kind of visible moisture, (and near/below freezing), then icing becomes a factor.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

If you already have a Taranis X9D, just use that.
Build some FT planes, crash them, repair, repeat. You can get telemetry back to the screen on the Taranis as well, but just focus on learning how to make the planes work first.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm resurrection my heavy/long range helicopter drone project again, as a potential backup for work, as the long range UAV we were intending to buy has a serious leadtime now. (6+months). Mine wont fit all the requirement (I'll be limited to maybe 3 hours duration), but it also wont cost $700.000.
It hasn't flown in a couple of years and was stripped down for the relocation, but the plan is to get it flying/tuned and then see what range I can get out of it.
I've been looking at ELRS as a potential substitute, but I would need more parameters for telemetry, (OAT, CHT, fuel flow ) along with the usual flight controller parameters.

We've also been trying to figure out a 'bug' with our M300/H20T. The H20T would stop recording at 29 minutes, 29 seconds, regardless of video format, file size, etc.
Now the system is normally *extremely* good at warning you about everything and wont do anything without giving you a warning/message, etc....but this one would just stop.
It's not mentioned in the specs or manual and if you contact sales, you'll get told that there's no limit on recording time.
So, it requires us to keep track of time (the standard mission we can just about finish in 25 minutes, but any hiccups/weather and it *can* take longer), but to deal with it, we do have to slow down to a hover, re-start the recording and resume, which again, doesn't help the look on the end product and adds a bit extra post-processing. (And adds more time to the flight).

First we went through the dealer. Firmware updates, various SD cards, etc. No change. Eventually they contacted DJI and was apparently told "This is how it is".
We went "bullshit" and then contacted DJI support ourselves.
First we got bullshit answers. "It's because it's a Fat32 format and is limited to 4GB".
Yes, but the system already knows how to deal with that and if we record the thermal only, the file size doesn't even hit 1GB.
Then it became even more ludicrous: "It's because due to import/export regulations, that if it can record more than 30 minutes, it's classified as a video camera and not a drone and is taxed differently". (And then for good measures repeated the Fat32 limit).
I got really mad and asked to speak with someone other than a standard support drone and it got escalated to 'Costumer Care'
She then repeated the import/export issues in 'some European countries' and is now starting to offer free goods from their store to make the issue go away.
I've now replied that it's totally nonsense. The M300 and H20T has their separate sales pages and one is clearly labelled as a drone and the other as a camera. The word 'camera' appears 17 times on the H20T page.
I've asked for a custom firmware update to remove the recording limit, so we can get the product that they've advertised.
I'm tempted to pursue legal action to get this sorted.

Meanwhile we're looking at this as a replacement.
https://workswell-thermal-camera.com/wiris-enterprise/
It's thermal camera looks much better than the H20T anyway (and the video feed actually contains thermal info, unlike the H20T) and their software is much much better.
RGB/Visible quality isn't as nice, but the thermal side will more than make up for it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

slidebite posted:

These last few posts kinda remind me of something I've been wanting to ask,

is there a good resource to describe getting into FPV quads? Or maybe a good go-to recommended "kit"?

https://oscarliang.com/

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

namlosh posted:

Lol, I’m in no way trying to say you’re wrong

But this is a real thing… we bought a Sony A7 camera that’s meant to take videos and such: it won’t record more than 30 minutes at a time

I think Techmoan or someone mentioned it, but there’s a serious tax/tariff put on video cameras which is defined as “can record more than 30 min contiguous”. Some camera manufacturers choose to disable that feature in order to keep the cost of the camera down.
You’re right to look for another firmware. They probably have one for Asia and other places where the tariff isn’t a thing.
Oh and it’s been around forever… like since the 90’s

It is total bullshit, lol
Good luck!

Yeah, once I got hold of the Customer Care and they repeated it *and* started offering free goodies, it was clear that they were serious and not just blowing smoke up my rear end...but they are selling it with a drone that has 50 minutes of air time, so they have zero excuse for this bullshit.
Or at least, zero excuse for not having it mentioned *anywhere* and have their sales bots say that there's no such limit.
At least not for $13k.

(Also, now thinking back, I think it's the exact same with my Olympus em10...it also stops after 30 mins!).

Edit: Googling reveals it's to avoid a 5.6% tarif. We would actually happily pay an extra 5.6% to make this go away. Those $700 would quickly be recovered.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 5, 2023

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7

Max 100 watt hours per battery, no limit on amount. You're fine.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Carriers don't look inside your luggage.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Why would you need diversity?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

That's a very good question!

I know how they work, I'm just curious why it's so important for what you want to do? Typically for long range its not really important, unless you're running a really long yagi antenna on a fixed mount.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, I couldn't figure out what to say either...other than please don't do that again.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I didn't watch the whole thing, but the new license and medical is for the new complex license category.
Apart from the per model fee, which frankly doesn't really affect anything, there's little in it that negatively affects FPV/recreational fliers.

The BVLOS/Medium RPAS rules are a huge step forward for the commercial industry, which is what this is really aimed at.
It'll make the paperwork on our end much much easier.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

What I like about agisoft metashape is that there's an installer and a GUI. But in the process of learning how to gaussian splatting I learned a lot about about installing dependencies. You need visual basic 2019 with C++. You need CUDA 11.8. Not 12. Not 11.6. 11.8. And you have to edit your system environment variables. You need to tell the computer where to find CL.exe. And then you have to install "ninja" and "pip". It doesn't sound like much, and it really isn't. The biggest obstacle is deciphering the error messages to figure out that you need to install these things.
This is the tutorial I followed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXtuigy_wYc&t=2080s
Things he doesn't specifically mention: You need to install CUDA, then visual basic again, and then CUDA again. Visual basic needs to see that CUDA is installed in order to install something it needs. But in doing so it overwrites something that CUDA needs. So you have to have cuda installed first, then reinstall it a second time after installing VB. Then install pytorch. I don't think you technically *need* ninja but the installer throws a warning if it isn't installed. You definitely need pip though. Without it, python can't build "wheels" and the gaussian renderer won't install without a wheel. (I don't know what I'm talking about).

My computer kind of sucks so this is 7000 iterations instead of 30000. But look at the detail! And it covers such a larger area than just the object of interest. Gaussian Splatting is really something.

Anyone else using this? I want to learn how to output this into something I can use to create video game assets. Liftoff custom levels, I'm looking at you.
If anyone is just trying to figure it out I'll try and help. I literally just got it working yesterday so it's still kind of fresh in my mind.

You'll need to heavily modify anything you scan in order to use them as assets...so it depends entirely on how comfortable you are using 3D modelling software.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

It would be hella sweet if someone made a small, modern, open source FC that supported ardupilot.

Uhmmm

https://github.com/pixhawk/Hardware

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I don't really think DIY'ing your own FC's are for laypeople without significant experience in electronics and associated coding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I built one similar to this:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2406395-An-effective-variable-load-automatic-LiPo-discharger

It's like 10 mins to discharge a 8000mAh 6S.