Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, just discovered this thread. I've been flying R/C since the early 2000's, and have always had a GWS Slow Stick somewhere in the mix. They're just great planes.

Anyway, earlier in the summer, I built one up to carry my GoPro.

She's heavy, and far from a stock Slow Stick these days, but it flies well, and takes pretty drat good video all things considered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zW0AFWN32k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pans1ssB-0I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The T-28 is a great plane. I flew one all last year, as my first 4-channel plane. It was so tempting to be stupid with it that, well, I was, and eventually it was destroyed beyond comprehension. The motor and ESC live on in the above Slow Stick though.

Some day I'll buy another T-28, they're pretty awesome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Delta-Wye posted:

I've always considered these videos cheating. They are using a lab full of high-precision IR cameras to locate the vehicle and doing a lot of processing off of the platform. It would be more impressive if the vehicle was able to do these things 'in the wild', so to speak.

It would also be scary as hell, really.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are you using the TX that came with it, or a standalone one?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The thread in AI is probably the place for this, but since you're talking about UM T-28's, I figure I'd chime in and say I'm probably pulling the trigger on a UMX Beast today. Cant wait!

Also pulling the trigger on Phoenix flight sim software so I dont instantly wad it up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm a flyer rather than a builder, my most hand built plane, the Slow Stick is still a kit.

I can however, not recommend the DX6i enough. Its a great TX.

I think D/R and expo are cheating if you leave them on all the time, but for learning , they're nice to help you not stuff a brand new plane.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The BEC cutoff would come from overloaded servos, or basically any kind of electrical load except for the motor.

This is of course different from low voltage cutoff

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Picked up a new Blade MQX from the LHS yesterday. Flew it around the yard a bit, but I am in over my head a bit yet coming from the fixed-wing world. No huge crashes, just some plops into the grass.

Is there a good guide out there for transitioning from fixed wing crafts to quads? I have a hard time getting my head around the fact that its not traveling on a predetermined path based on the direction its moving, like a plane is. For instance, when flying forward, I can apply rudder, flip the quad around, but momentum is still carrying it forward (which is now backward). I am also having a hard time getting the throttle/elevator ratio correctly so that I can move forwards without a huge drop in altitude, or a huge jump.

I have Phoenix, so I will be flying the MQX like crazy on that, but are there any other resources?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, getting better with the MQX, I'm starting to get my head around flying it in a manner that is different from a plane. Props are getting pretty beat up, but I havent broken anything serious yet.

Pretty fun little quad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

Just posting to say that I try to stay the hell away from this thread, because I have enough expensive hobbies, but I absolutely love my Blade MQX and Blade Nano QX. Both are so much fun.

Ha, I feel you on that one. Since I bought my MQX less than two weeks ago, I have put at least 5 packs through it a day, before work and over lunch. I have owned a ton of R/C planes, but never a quad, and I dont think Ive had this much fun with any of the planes.

I think its mostly because I can fly easily in my back yard, and the MQX can handle a surprising amount of wind. I regularly fly that little beast in wind that would ground some of the biggest planes I've owned.

I also learned from ground zero how to fly a quad with it, with no prior experience, and only broke one thing, a thruster boom, and that was just yesterday. I really love my MQX as well :hfive:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vitamin J posted:

Also, can't you guys just build your own quads? They are so drat simple. Screw frame together, connect wires, program, fly.

Yes, but at least for me, the MQX is a hell of a package for $99, it would be tough to build an equivalent quad for that money

Just got an 808 keychain cam for it today so I'll be filming and flying tomorrow

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mashed_penguin posted:

Another video just cruising around the park. I've just updated to arducopter 3.0.1 and am going through the process retuning all the pids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASg4k7A3qjo

I really need to go and fly somewhere more interesting than the many parks of vancouver.

Whoa, are you doing the optical compensation in software, or with actual optics? If its in software, please share how you did it!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ease posted:

So I've got my 1.3/1258 gear. Now I'm looking for an flytron uhf system. Finding FPV components can be such a bitch.

Pretty sure you can do this in Premiere :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZQBInr7-GY

Oh, not available in Premiere for Mac :( Dammit steve jobs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How do you do the nose-in funnel turns as seen here around the 0:21 mark? What is that maneuver actually called?

http://vimeo.com/46329367

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love my MQX. I have owned a bunch of planes before, including classics like (multiple) slow sticks and the UM Beast and I dont think I've ever had as much fun flying as I have with my MQX.

I was outside trying to get the hang of the tornado, when I had an unintended landing. Sent the canopy flying, it was a rough one. Split the right rear boom down the middle, the long way.

Tossed it back up in the air and kept flying because, gently caress it, I only have so long for lunch. Still flew fine, little squirrely with the flexy boom, but it was mostly fine. I have a spare boom that I'll put in tonight, plus the mailman came bearing gifts including 6 feet of MQX-sized hollow carbon fiber square tube, so I can make my own booms now!!!

Man the MQX rocks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you want to fly something heli-esque outdoors, get an MQX. They can handle a ton of wind for their size and remain really controllable through it all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Real Dadtalk: just get an audio baby monitor, the video one will inevitably drive you insane.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

soy posted:

Or I could buy a gopro black, I want one anyways :v:

e- in an effort to not derail this thread please recommend me a badass helicopter/quad rc setup to buy sub $200 so I can mess around and learn to fly stuff

By an MQX, I want that to be the title of this thread. Blade just dropped the price to $69.99.

poo poo is seriously fun and seriously hard to break.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Internet Explorer posted:

I love my MQX and my Nano QX. If someone was just starting out I would point them to the Nano QX. I haven't done anything with RC and both are a breeze. My only issue with the MQX was that the manual shows the props on wrong. I had to find a picture online.

The nanoqx is great too. If you want to fly outdoors or carry one of the 808 cameras, then the MQX is a must.

The hot thing nowadays is putting the nano qx flight controller on the MQX frame. Best of both worlds. I havent done that personally, as I dont see any big deficiencies in my MQX, but I hear its a nice mod for the MQX.

E: I made a big ol effortpost over on rcgroups about getting the MQX into top notch form with its default flight controller. Seems like a lot of stuff, also makes the MQX seem lovely out of the box, but neither of those are true, they're simple mods to an already excellent flying machine http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25791429&postcount=7954

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 9, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do you have a transmitter?

This is a drat good deal: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006R6ERLE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1376093647&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

soy posted:

no I have not much.. based on my knowledge of racing rc cars 10+ years ago though I might want to get a decent transmitter instead of something from a kit and then buy the other stuff like that package.

Not sure what constitutes a good value controller these days though.

You are right, a good tx will greatly improve your experience. Spektrum dx6i is a great lower-end tx with the features and build quality of the higher end of the dx series, but at a decent price.

The dx5e is cheaper still but not great for helis and multirotors.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same, a friend of mine just started with a hexacopter that has a wingspan of like 4 feet and had to weigh 10 lbs.

My advice to him was "fly it at head height or lower only for about 6 months"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

How does the quadcopter know when a prop has been lost? Tachometers on each motor looking for overspeeds?

It would be based on load, not RPM, because the computer is telling a brushless motor what RPM to run at.

ABS systems for brushless cars work the same way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

$69.99 seems to be the going rate for MQX's now since Horizon dropped their MSRP down to that price. Holy shiiiiit go buy an MQX now they're so fun. This applies to everyone.

Also, hopeful that this means that there is a new MQX in the works. They did the same drastic price drop with the original UMX beast before they brought out the Beast 3D

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

My only problem with the mQX is that it's ugly as hell. The NanoQX... well I was flying it out side in 6-8mph winds. It was fun.

Amusingly, annoyingly, I can't find my CX2.

The MSRx... the AS3X means you can't do "realistic" takeoffs. You need to launch it off the ground. And I do most of my flying in a 8x10' room. It makes takeoffs harrowing.

My MQX body is beyond trashed, so I run a solo cup body. Problem either solved or made worse depending on your opinion.

poo poo still owns though. Once you ditch the stock body that acts like a drat parachute, you can fly the MQX in some crazy winds.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Widdershins posted:

If I were you, I'd get a small ready to fly (RTF) package similar to this one

It's small, slow, forgiving and easily repaired.

This way, you can be flying NOW while at the same time tackling the pretty steep learning curve of all the other stuff.

Have fun 1st, then when you're ready to move onto something bigger / more challenging you'll have a good idea of what you want and need.
You'll save $ and frustration.

edit: I should point out that the transmitter in the example plane I posted it pretty much useless for anything other than that plane. However, you can use other BETTER transmitters to control the plane.

I would recommend this route as well. Just starting out, you dont know what kind of plane you want to build yet, nor do you (i'm assuming) really know how to build an R/C plane. Its not too tough, but starting at absolute ground zero can be daunting.

Buy the Hobbyzone Champ, learn to fly it, learn to fix it, learn how it works, then move on to something else when you and your son are ready.

I will say I'm jealous of you, I have a 20 toddler, and I cant wait till he gets interested in flying things!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

^^ This. Get into this hobby because you want to fly foam and plastic toys around in the air like you always wished you could as a kid. Dont listen to the gear spergs. Buy what you want and learn your lessons from it. Take input from others as to not repeat others mistakes, but anyone who says you have to buy $9,000 worth of Futaba gear to fly a $30 plane is crazy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there such a thing as cheap fpv equipment that doesn't suck? I'd like to do something for fpv on my mqx, but the idea of sinking a grand into fpv gear for my $90 mqx isn't super exciting.

Have the Chinese made fpv decent and affordable yet?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What's a good receiver to use with that? Also, barring fat shark goggles, is the preferred viewing method just an LCD monitor? How are you recording, just bringing a laptop along?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The successor to the mqx was released. Blade 180qx. Comes with a camera and the SAFE technology, but otherwise is an mqx

http://www.bladehelis.com/180QX/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Replace MQX body with SOLO cup cut in half, get a better looking body and less parachute effect on top of it.

I do like the new FC that the 180QX comes with, since its basically the same one out of the nanoQX

I still love flying my MQX, I have replaced every part on it except the FC and the motors, and it still flies like a champ. Its the perfect pick up and fly aircraft.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have been watching the RC Eye one xtreme intently since it was announced. I am getting sick of waiting for it to be released (any day now, we swear!).

Is there a similar craft (brushless, can cary a gopro, cheap) out there? Can I build a similar craft for a similar price?

My main wants are brushless, and toughness.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it garbage? I was unaware. I have a DX6i currently that I use with my MQX.

What is the hot DIY quad these days? I'd like to stay under $200 all up if I can.

Any parts lists?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Awesome! At least there is a legal precedence to lean on (for a while anyway) now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

front wing flexing posted:

Thanks for the info, that actually helps a lot.

Smaller probably better for learners but I figured you couldn't go wrong for the price.

Thanks again. I'll let you guys know how it flies and I'll try to get some youtube videos up too.

Post up when you get it, I'm interested to know how long it takes to ship from the international warehouse.

And of course how it flies and all that. I'm about *this far* from pulling the trigger on the same package

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, that was super fast coming from china (I assume?) to the us!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Front wing flexing how are you liking that turnigy sk450? Haven't heard many updates and I'm getting ready to purchase.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mashed_penguin posted:

More fun with my Caipirinha tearing around the rubble piles. I've finally got it set up well enough for some longer range flights. I have a few hills and mountains in mind to give it a go with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXrrKnWSW2c

Can you make it available for mobile?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I pulled the trigger on a HobbyKing SK450 quad (not the RTF Turnigy one), as an upgrade from my MQX, which has seen a ton of flight time and about 80 feet of replacement square CF tube.

I wanted something bigger that could carry a gopro and would be a bit tougher and more wind resistant.

How does this list look?

HK KK2.1.5 FC

SK450 Frame

Power Distribution Board

Turnigy D2836/0 950KV outrunner

Afro 30A ESC with SimonK firmware

I also ordered some 10x4.5 props, servo leads and I already have a TX, 6CH RX and a couple 3S 1100 batteries I can use.

Anything I did horribly wrong or omitted?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OK, so what would be the recommended motor, 1100KV? Or bigger/smaller props with the 950?

Also that 950 motor is rated at 23 amps, its just that the ESC's can handle 30 amps.