Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Just got back into R/C flying after owning a Blade CX2, MCX2 and various other Syma 107g's etc. for a while. After some research on might be a good next step up I bought a DX8 and Nano QX. I then impulsively bought a Nano CP X about 5 days later to learn more collective pitch. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far, not regretting the purchases yet!

The Nano QX is insanely fun to fly, it's so stable and precise and the ability to fly in two modes makes it that much more awesome. I am almost able to fly my Nano CPX in small circles in my living room after about 30 packs through it. Although unfortunately the tail motor is developing a twitch now. The learning process is really fun.

I'm tempted to get Phoenix 4 eventually but I've been reading through this thread a lot and I'm seeing mixed opinions. I've only spent like 2 minutes on it at a local hobby store and the physics definitely don't feel 100%, but I could see how it could be an amazing learning tool. I feel maybe I should be trying inverted flight on Phoenix first. Do I need a simulator to learn inverted flight? Any advice would be great.

I've checked out a good amount of your videos as I browsed through the thread, and they made me want to learn airplanes and make an FPV system badly! Cool setups man.

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Thank you for the info Barnsy, appreciate it.

Arcturas posted:

So, I might have been a little reckless flying my Nano QX today, and ran it into a wall a little more quickly than the blade guards could handle. How do you go about replacing one of the motors?

I think the motor got burned out because a hair got wrapped around it and I tried to fly it once before catching that, but it might have been damaged by knocking it into a wall. It's not clear but either way I should have been more careful, I know.

It looks like you just pull them out and pop the new ones in? That seems way too easy...

I think it's just that simple. You just have to get the right motor whether it's a CW or CCW motor. I've also heard a new engine might cause a little issue with it being new and the other 3 being older, but I've yet to see for myself. I ordered a new frame and 4 new motors, supposedly off a brand new Nano for 24 dollars on Ebay. It appears the guy is all out of them now.

Also be careful with the wiring as I tried to remove a blade on my Nano before and snapped the wires on the motor as the motor came loose. I think my blades came glued on or they are just ridiculously hard to get off. Fortunately I was able to just rewire the motor but it was not a good feeling!

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I bought a Nano QX to start out with quads too, it was my favorite RC thing for years. You will have a lot of fun with it and be able to learn the controls pretty quickly with such a great little quad.

Fly over grass if you are trying any new ambitious stunts, always throttle down when you are about to crash. Realize when it can't be saved, throttle down completely and your chances of breaking anything is pretty slim. If all else fails always practice hovering!

I recently moved on to bigger quads and I'm really glad I took the time to learn with my Nano QX as I've been lucky with zero crashes so far. I know it's bound to happen eventually but if I didn't spend so much time on my Nano QX as a trainer I would have certainly broken quite a few props and probably some parts by now. I built a ZMR 250 near the beginning of the year. Just got my 4S packs today and made my first flights with them. Really looking forward to learning my quad more on 4S now. Not sure what I should do with my 3S batteries now entirely.. I may end up selling them. They all have about 25-30 cycles each on them 2x 3S 1300mah 65c Graphene and 4x SMC Racing 3S 1300mah 37A "True Spec" (basically 65C or better). They are in pretty much perfect condition otherwise, not sure if someone here might be interested in that.

Here's my dirty baby:

Using with a DX8 I had bought for Horizon Hobby models 3 years back. Really wishing I had a Taranis sometimes for that RSSI! I still haven't done a range test with my Lemon RX 8 Channel Receiver + Satellite. Lemon sells a diversity antenna version too that I want to try out and should have gotten originally, but every DSMX receiver I buy makes me think I should save towards a Taranis. Fortunately haven't had issues yet but I'm always too afraid to push it on range.

I'm also using Dominator V2's with Immersion RC receiver and 600mW VTX. HS1177 FPV Cam (Foxeer XAT 600m), Mobius Action Cam, Cobra 2204 2300kv motors, DYS BL20a ESCs, Micro MinimOSD running MW OSD all on a ZMR 250. Have SMC Racing 3S and 4S 37A 1300mah "True Spec" batteries, they don't give bullshit C ratings and have great prices so I've been happy with them so far. I also bought two 3S 65C Graphene batteries when they came out, now wishing I got 4S!

Running Betaflight 2.6 on a "Race32" which is a crappy clone board of an SPRacingF3. I got gipped by this site called team-legit.com, I wouldn't really recommend buying from them. They were one of the only sites with Dominator V2's in stock around Christmas so I bought a couple parts from them, they completely ripped me off on the "Race32" board and I didn't know any better at the time. I really wish I got a real SPRacingF3 board. For my next build I like the look of the Lux controller or SPRacingF3 Mini, but I've heard a fair amount of issues regarding the mini which is too bad because it has some awesome features.

I really love my build overall... as this post possibly shows, though if I could change one thing I wish I got a 5" Alien or a Shendrones Tweaker or Krieger. Oh well lesson learned, my next build will probably be a Shendrones Corgi or a RotorX 122 Atom, I love the look of both of those frames!

What are your guys favorite frames or next frames going to be? Also thoughts on Flight Controllers?

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 5, 2016

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

patentmagus posted:

Wow - I usually crash my 250 class stuff at least once every session. (loving those DALprops.)

I am not a hardcore pilot making lots of tricks yet, but I definitely stay on the throttle pretty good. I got to the point where I was almost never going below 75% throttle on 3S, but now I'm learning 4S and it's definitely a bit different. But I've been cautious enough that I haven't broken one prop which I'm pretty proud of. Although I tell myself I'm being too cautious, which is probably true but I'll get there eventually.

I want to try some of their DAL 5030 or 5040 if they make them. I'm using HQ Props right now but have heard good things about DAL.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

You've been able to get lower latency SBUS receivers from frsky for a while

Yeah Mr Steele has talked about this before and claimed that S.Bus on an X4R-SB is the best latency out there right now. Good to know the latency is pretty low with a DSMX sat too.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

As far as I know, Team Legit is, well, legit!.
Just curious why do you say this? I only mentioned that stuff because I tried to contact them more than once for help with something they sold me and they ignored my emails. Not to mention they were selling that clone board of an SPRacingF3 for 65 dollars, which is the same price as the real board.

And yes all Horizon Hobby products are DSMX compatible. I have quite a few of their products because they all work with my DX8.

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 5, 2016

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

That's the part of the reason I got a DX8 with my Nano QX. I also knew I wanted to get more models and eventually move into 3D Heli's was my plan at the time. Your ability to control the Nano with a real transmitter makes such a massive difference like you said. I have an FPV Vapor and Mini Vapor too and they fly so nicely with it.

If only Spektrum had RSSI without extra mods, that's one feature I really really wish I had. Though I would almost recommend getting a Taranis with a DSMX module over a Spektrum Tx.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

The QX 3D is usually cheaper from what I've seen. I've flown my friends before and think it's a lot of fun but I've heard of some issues with the quality control regarding them. Also the propellers are a bit more expensive I think and there's not any cheap china propellers you can get that I've seen. Also wow didn't know they released a Nano QX2! I Got my Nano QX FPV in December. :( Oh well not that much has changed on it but it looks neat.

Granted I just watched a video and it didn't click before that it uses the QX 3D Battery. That's my one major dislike of the Nano QX FPV minus the crappy motors it comes with, the flight times are very short. Looks really cool

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

cool f1 clip

I watched that video yesterday and loved it! For anyone interested it's a red bull f1 promotion they filmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pEqyr_uT-k