Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Heck, if using prepreg how did you cure it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm not sure if all carbon is made equal,

Definitely not equal. There's all sorts of ways to make carbon as lovely and as fragile as PCB silicon. There's also plenty of ways of making G10 fiberglass ridiculously strong and crash resistant.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Combat Pretzel posted:

Every dipshit keeps sending me that Neistat video over on Facebook, because me and drones apparently.

:same:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Tiny toy quads will "set" their level when you first plug them in. You should use a bubble level to find an actually-level surface in your flight area, and plug-in the copter while it's on that surface. then it'll be level with the earth and not just level with the floor or carpet.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

evil_bunnY posted:

Just get a phantom dude.

Please do not buy a quad so that you can fly it and a camera over a bunch of peoples' heads. You will crash, probably into a person. Neither the hardware nor the software are ready for the general public to do what you are trying to do.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's a new kitchen sink flight controller coming out very soon from the DTFc guy. Currently runs dRonin, but a Betaflight target will probably show up soon enough, if anyone wants to fly that.

https://www.airdtf.com/shop/seppuku

lol I should go give him some poo poo for that dumb name

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

So, I bought a Protos 500 and are now setting it up with a Pixhawk

I'll most likely change this to a Pixracer later on, but will get this flying 'as is' for now.
This should be a fun project and yes, I will FPV it :)

Plz don't decapitate yourself rc-goon bro

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I have to admit there's still some part of me that wants to strap a FC to my trex450 clone, but my days of flying lawnmowers is kinda over.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Golluk posted:

Buddy of mine is about done putting together a 250 quad. I let him try flying mine first so he knows how a decently tuned one flies. He wound up flying it past his neck by about 2 feet...

Still, an 250 quad's props are cheap plastic blades no longer than 2-2.5" radius. Meanwhile the blades on a 250 CCPM heli can be carbon fiber and 5" long, while spinning at 5000-6000rpm. A 450 or 500 sized heli uses 10-11" blades. The guy who decapitated himself was flying a trex 700 with ~14" blades.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

subx posted:

A 700 should be more like 22+" for each blade, or around 1500mm total diameter.

I get the joke/sarcasm, but people fly helicopters all the time. Of course, that is assuming you know how to fly them LOS first, and only do FPV once you have a pretty good grounding in the flight characteristics.

You are correct and that still doesn't provide any reassurance.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Laserface posted:

Man is this hobby super popular or is there supply chain issues? Everything good is on back order perpetually.

The internet used to be BETTER than your LHS for this reason but now....

There's always a "new hot thing" so nobody bothers making large production runs

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

n.. posted:

What's the deal with RC pilots and awful taste in music? Why does every flight video need some horrible dubsteb or otherwise lovely club music?

yeah no kidding. This video's just got some experimental noisecore poo poo or something. It just ends up sounding like they're screeching in your ear for 7 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJWzkpnfEf0

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

soy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASWwI98tBws

Taken on Sunday.. Finally got to fly a bit, been busy w/ work and travel for month or so.

oh hey my old stomping ground. Wish I still had time to fly on weekends

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mister Sinewave posted:

I just flew a DJI for the first time. Holy poo poo this is what I realize I have always wanted: a flying robot platform. I still fly like an old man trying not to break a hip but at least the stability and poo poo is in line with the cautious, one thing at a time thoughtful approach I naturally want to take.

RTH, aka RTC aka "Return to China"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TQQcBWV6Vs

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

porksmash posted:

I had a great success leaving it on the 12V wall wart for about 5 hours. The lipo charger worked correctly from there in lead-acid mode and it's still charging at 1A. The health of this battery is up in the air but as long as it can start my car once a month it's fine.

If you drive it that infrequently, you should leave the battery attached to a trickle charger. My wife's honda fit has some ridiculous go-kart battery that ends up needing replacement after 1 year if you don't drive it daily. A cheap trickle charger is saving me a couple hundred bucks every other year.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
If he releases the CAD and parts list, you could order your own run maybe through oshpark, and then toast yourself a board on your own. But since it's untested, might as well wait for him to do his own beta testing :)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Also don't fly or hotdog near people/buildings when you're not 100% confident in the craft or the tuning?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Slash posted:

Cool poo poo. I'm surprised the prop is generating enough lift rotating that slowly :)

Yeah and look at the way the blades are bending too. Is that safe?!?!?! :what:

First loiter test of my new heli:

ok make with the specs. I have a trex 450 clone that I've been too squeemish to fly

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 16, 2018

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Oh okay, so you can definitely decapitate yourself with that thing :)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Still not quite there, I think. Here is a comprehension check.

1/ any motor under extreme load will cause an amp demand that is likely unsustainable by the battery, ESC, and motor
2/ the throttle position is nonsensical magic, it doesn't control voltage, it doesn't control amps, and it doesn't control frequency of the AC output
3/ an oversized ESC cannot damage a battery or motor with excessive voltage or current because those are dependant on voltage supplied by the battery and current demanded by the motor?

Brushless motors and brushless speed controllers work by switching the full battery voltage across each of several magnetic coil loops in sequence. The ESC measures back current resistance in order to time the sequence for your throttle input.

A motor's Kv rating is the rotational speed per volt with no additional load. 3S battery's charged voltage at 4.2v/cell is nominally 12.6v so a 2000Kv motor would spin at a max RPM of 25,200 RPM. Once you add a propeller, the max rotation speed is the Kv minus whatever additional load the prop adds. 4S batteries would give a peak charge of 16.8v or max 33,600 RPM.

Most of the resistive force is the resistive load of the magnetic coil against the rotation of the motor bell. If the motor seizes there's little-to-no resistance, so the load is effectively the max amp discharge rate of the battery across the ESC, motor pole, and the battery's internal resistance. Whichever one fails first depends on the sizing of the battery, the sizing of the ESC, and the voltage rating of the motor.

And IIRC the resistance of the motor is the inverse of its rotational speed, so that's why the Amp load goes up as the motor spins faster.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 5, 2018

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

moron izzard posted:

Can someone explain how bigger cans and "more torque" help?

Max Kv ratings will slip depending on the size and pitch of the prop. Bigger cans have larger magnets, which produces more torque. More torque does two things: 1) it helps the motor change RPM faster for when you're trying to stabilize, or when you're punching out. 2) it allows you to use bigger props with more aggressive pitch. If your motors are undersized you can lose out on some efficiency. Also the max Kv rating will slip depending on how much load you're putting on the motor, so a larger prop could reduce your realized max RPM enough to impact your top speed, or max thrust/lifting capacity.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

evil_bunnY posted:

Eh, do you have a rack welder?

Live a little - go fast and hot w/ your soldering iron and plenty of flux. I've done it and it works.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Call me old fashioned, but I just don't think dual processing is needed or beneficial, I think it provides a placebo effect if anything.

See for example this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWwA67rXtjI

It's an old f103, flies great on modern firmware.

Also I wonder if Bardwell still wears kilts

Hah. timecop was right

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

So I didn't know all the history around this guy and decided to do some digging. Boy... does he really like to call anyone and everyone "tards" lol

Still haven't found exactly what you were referring to though :shrug:

timecop is the guy who made all these stm32 based / arm-based quads possible because he did the initial heavy lifting to port multiwii to stm32. He was also a major proponent of pushing off of PPM input to CPPM or SBUS.

He also pointed out that KISS one-shot, 1000+ mhz sampling rates were all bullshit because there were much bigger forces acting on the copters' flight for input / esc sampling rates to make a bit of difference. IE what's the point of the FC telling the ESC to change speed a billion times per second if the motor itself is incapable of overcoming the rotational inertia of the prop? Etc etc etc.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Timecop also has a major grudge over betaflight for years and should be taken with a grain of salt. While he should certainly be credited for the initial work, he has frankly been irrelevant since then.

If by "grudge" you mean Dominic from cleanflight (not betaflight) regularly stole other people's FOSS code without credit, then yes.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Pretty sure that only happens with plenty of post processing and CGI.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Yeah. Forgotten the name. No one involved with drones ever thought that would work, but it got millions on their kickstarter....and failed.

More than once, actually. "Zano", and "airdog". Zano was the biggest failure, but Airdog was a drastically underwhelming mavic clone(ish)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Nerobro posted:

... what rc system does he ahve that doesn't have some serial output option?

or even this? https://usa.banggood.com/PWM-To-PPM...ur_warehouse=CN

or https://www.amazon.com/QWinOut-Receiver-Encoder-Converter-Xaircraft/dp/B00X767R2I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

evil_bunnY posted:

If DJI doesn't have a LE portal I'd be shocked.

if they did none of the LE that my old company talked with knew about it. Instead DJI sells a radio sniffer that decodes their own control signal to expose the GPS coordinates of the drone in-flight. https://www.dji.com/aeroscope