Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmonkeh
Apr 18, 2004
meh
I've been designing my own radio + autopilot with accelerometer + gyroscope for the last few months, and the hardware is nearly ready to build. Hobbyking has a $15 Quadcopter frame which looks pretty good for testing so I've ordered one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmonkeh
Apr 18, 2004
meh

Snapshot posted:

Radio + autopilot, eh? Details, Please! Are you licensed for a particular spectrum?

The whole system is based around a JN5148 2.4ghz zigbee microcontroller, has good range and is fairly fast. Using an IMU-3000 and ADXL345 as sensors. I'll post more details in the next month or so, going to order some PCBs soon then I can start proper development!

evilmonkeh
Apr 18, 2004
meh

Slanderer posted:

Is openpilot doing anything / getting anywhere? I skimmed their website, and it's stuffed with crap like, "GAME CHANGER", "REVOLUTIONARY", and "LITERALLY JESUS". It seems like the project is dickriding FOSS more than actually getting poo poo done. Despite the hilarious kludge of code that is Ardupilot, at least they are regularly releasing new software.

The MultiPilotF4 project is looking promising, but unfortunately they've just ported Ardupilot to STM32 by implementing their own versions of the Arduino libraries, which seems like it will be missing out on many benefits of the STM32 platform.

I've been (slowly) working on my own autopilot / multicopter hardware, and it is starting to take shape. It has an STM32F4, MPU6050 & LSM303 sensors and an RFM22b which is the same radio module used in OpenLRS. My main goal is to produce a decent embedded software system, rather than the mess you get e.g with Ardupilot, hacking everything together. I'm using an embedded RTOS called Chibios which works really well and has great hardware support for STM32. It's still a work-in-progress job, but once I've got the RF stuff working I should be able to make something crash :D