Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

More than once I've underestimated the stopping distance of my Mavic. Never had a crash because of it, but definitely closer to an obstacle than anticipated. The braking maneuver at full speed is pretty aggressive, it'll catch me off guard if I'm close enough to hear it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Finally submitted my RemoteID comment. Reminder to those that haven't yet!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It's embedded for me. Those are some good shots for a 'free' drone!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Alternative pants posted:

Rx loss. Combination of being too far away from me and between me and the quad.

How much did the shingles cost?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'd go with the Air 2 as well if you are considering it and have the extra cash. Not that I've flown a Mini or Air, but I'm super happy with my Mavic2. Despite the fact I haven't made any money from it yet!

In other news, oops:

https://blandmedia.com/crash.mp4

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It was a metal sign post (property marker?)

And that's not a real titanium armattan, it's a knockoff and feels like aluminimum. Which means I can't find a spare anywhere!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

gently caress the feds, fly a drone

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I hope you're able to rebuild it!

To the guy wanting to skeet shoot, is there an RF jammer that could work? Those are probably also illegal but less dangerous

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

BUT, you can still fly under recreational rules even if the drone is registered and you have a 107.

I had a similar problem at my parent's house. We were thinking to get a group picture but didn't have a nice camera, but wait I have my mavic! I was in class D to the ground, but took off before GPS lock. Hovering about 10ft high, after 1 picture the drone realizes where it is and starts auto landing. I could hold throttle up and it would stay in place, but if I let off it would continue to descend. I finally just set it on top of a car to use the camera lol. That airport didn't support LAANC at the time :(

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yikes! Got insurance?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Lost my favorite 5" into the very top of a tree, right at the very end of the battery. Not enough juice left to turtle mode it out, but I was able to at least spot it. Brought the mavic out to carry a rope over the branch, then crashed it because I'm an impatient dumbass who descended way too fast on the other side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNRKACVWMMM

Damage isn't too bad:

All the above is fixable, or at least easy enough to pop back in place despite a couple busted screw housings. What sucks is this innoculous looking damage:

This is the piece that stops the leg's travel after rotating out of the storage position. It will still stop the leg at the right position, but with very little force it will continue to rotate upward about 15 degrees. It will still snap back to the regular position though, but is not rock-solid in place like the other leg.

It still flies, seemingly without issue. I've got both insurance and DJI refresh, so I'm debating sending it in for repair. I don't think repair cost will be more than the $119 or whatever to get a replacement.

The 5" is still in the tree.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

The FXT Viper is a pretty good option at ~$100. But it doesn't real compare to my fatsharks with diopter lenses, much more comfortable and higher quality/resolution/light isolation/etc.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Will the MA2 work with Litchi? If so that's a much better platform for flight plan waypoints

E: looks like, no, not yet but maybe in the near future?

CloFan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 22, 2020

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Those seeds don’t care if they’re dropped from 20’ or 2000’. They hit their terminal velocity almost immediately. In fact, with a little bit of wind, they can spread for miles. Go high, drop a batch all at once with <some simple dumping mechanism>, let nature do the rest.

Exactly what I was thinking. Drop a few hundred from high up and they'll get everywhere. Hard to be precise and efficient with the method, but it would be super easy and work pretty well.

Those seeds are what got me interested in aeronautics as a kid, I think-- used to gather a bunch up , climb a tree, and watch with amazement as they spiraled down gracefully

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I did that with my mavic and crashed because I descended too quickly with the line attached and got tangled. It will be covered under care refresh, everything is-- you could fly into a wall at top speed, it covers all pilot error iy

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It's been around for a couple years at least, I remember looking at it back when the MP2 launched. Halfway wish I would have sprung for it, just so I could volunteer for Search and Rescue operations.

DroneDeploy works well and does what it's supposed to. It's just a bit expensive and is monthly rather than one-time

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I used DJI Care last year. Repair was quoted at $99 or I could opt for the Refresh at $120. I paid the 99 and they ended up sending me a different M2Z anyways. As far as I could tell it was brand new, but could have just been a clean refurb

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

DreadLlama posted:

Can you use a dji smart controller without a dji flight controller?

Does the smart controller work on the FPV? It doesn't even work on the Mini 2, which saved me from spending $600 today at least

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Gopro and sticks is good, but if you have the cash and want a drone Mini 2 is a good choice. I'd bet you'll fly it more than just gutter checks

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/Pathfinder/status/1383491963068899336

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

that would be cool as hell, like a wing ground stations with a HOTAS

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

You have to have an observer to be legal, people like me flying in their backyards are busting FAA regs

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I ended up getting a mini 2 a while ago, and dji finally got around to adding compatibility with the smart controller :woop:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

also yeah lol case is a bit overboard, get a backpack

my setup:

fatsharks in the top, props/batts/rc in main and drone strapped to it when they aren't all borked

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Cool shot and good editing!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

tildes posted:

What’s the recommended drone insurance? I have a Mini now and I’m very invested in it’s survival/replacement.

State Farm Personal Article Policy last I checked

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Your mapping looks correct. The 5V coming off the ESC is just a power source for camera, VTX or other 5V device. Kind of neat they include that BEC in the ESC, never seen that. NC means Not Connected and you're right, you don't need esc telemetry

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Even fast FPV gets boring as gently caress, if it's the same grassy featureless fields. One reason I lost major interest.

Also, anyone up for this deathtrap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lm9HdMGBss

This must be why I've only flown about 5 packs this summer.. backyard just kinda meh. That and I don't want to deal with getting stuck or breaking the drones flying riskier

Would fly a manned multicopter for sure... Been trying to convince the wife to let me build an RV-8 but doesn't look like that's gonna pan out

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I use a Lowepro Droneguard BP 250 and it's pretty great, albeit a bit small. The drone(s) are velcro'd to the outside MOLLE straps, so they are exposed and not protected. There's a BP 400 version which is bigger if you like the features

Adorama and B&H frequently have sales on these bags for 50% or more off MSRP.. maybe set up an alert on Slickdeals if you like the style

CloFan posted:

fatsharks in the top, props/batts/rc in main and drone strapped to it when they aren't all borked

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yeah that's a hell of an upgrade from the 2, very tempting.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Good choice. How old is your son? I'd imagine that one will last him a while, then you can talk about FPV later. The Tinyhawk kit linked would be a good intro if you go that route

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It's fine, send it!

You only need to worry if it's punctured, split, swelling or not charging right. You'll end up with many more dents than that before retiring it!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

It depends. Last I looked (I am not a lawyer) if you fly non-commercially and then for some reason your work ends up making you money that's ok, for example taking a beautiful picture that someone is like "I must hang this in my home here's a hundred dollars" you're ok. Getting a 107 is a good idea though.

I don't think that's right, it would be considered commercial operation. You don't even have to accept money-- if the flight is considered in 'furtherance of business' it's commercial, so even providing a picture for free for use on a website or brochure is part 107.

Not that it matters, FAA doesn't give a poo poo unless something goes wrong. A lot of aviation regulations are vague on purpose, to allow for interpretation in unique scenarios

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

you're fine, only change if it's missing chunks or deformed

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I got a wing about a year and a half ago.. maidened it immediately into the top of a 90-ft tree. Managed to get it down eventually, but haven't worked up the courage to try again. My yard ain't big enough for a wing apparently!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

DreadLlama posted:

Oh my god I hope this comes to Canada. Last Summer I was flying below treetop height inspecting wind storm damage and some jackass in a two seater almost hit me. 19m up. I was 19 meters up and had to duck to avoid an aircraft. I could have hit him with a rock if I had the presence of mind to throw one. Yet with him doing the aerial equivalent of driving on the sidewalk, I would be the one at fault in the event of a collision.

I don't blame them, flying below treetop level is a thrill. Probably because of all the danger, but the most fun and most reckless thing I've ever done is following a river between a corridor of trees for a few miles. That was before sUAS, but not before other jackasses who might be coming the other direction!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I discovered a tv series this weekend, Getaway Driver, that uses fpv shots extensively. It's a cool concept for a show and the drones really add to it. Sometimes I dream of a career change, doing this kind of work would be fun as heck

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Running into pine trees is fun and cool

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Isn't that discharger more like a bench tester, to make sure your battery can provide the advertised amps? I can't imagine doing a constant high-amp discharge is good for the batteries... I just put on one of those RDQ storage discharge things and wait overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Fair enough. it would take a nice long while to discharge that at the <2a like most of our done chargers are capped at

You know this already but yeah 1C is the standard "safe" discharge rate. Maybe instead of discharger, search for load tester. Although that SkyRC unit comes up early so it might have similar results