Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I'm not sure why the only interest in flying comes with the ability to mount a camera on the thing. Flying those helis and planes are fun as hell in their own rights.

I used to fly 450s until the cost of repairing them made me poorer than poor, plus it's tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Holy poo poo I need to stop looking at this thread. I'm way too poor for this sort of envy. :mad:

I am living through you Manny and you need to get to work quickly and take many pictures. :smith:

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Manny posted:

Someone at my club trying to give my camera a haircut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAbUIB7Vu2U

Wow, is that a 250? Those things seems soo agile (like too agile) Nice piloting skills.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I have multiples 450 (tried belt and shaft and got enough spare for a spare) It looked like a 250 in the air but the end of the video showing the dude going up to it shows it real size.

The camera's fish eye lens make it look small.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ect6ixLbHM Boring to watch but it's my first flight -- Last summer. I don't have enough cash to keep it flying, but I got better (thank god.. :P)

IsaacNewton fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 27, 2011

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

The last one is particularly retarded though, who would maiden over water unless you fly something with floaters?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

jagdtiger00 posted:

Hell even with floaters if the wind gets a strong hold of it or there's some other big malfunction or mistake on the pilots part the thing will end up in the water upside down anyway.

At least you don't have to fish it ouf of the water afterward.

So I got the urge to fix my 450 pro clone. The last thing I remember about it is the tail had a weird high vibration that made the tail grip's screw loosen before takeoff. I tried so many thing to fix it and it drove me nuts.. I'll try a more zen approach this time around.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Manny posted:

Have you tried balancing the tail rotors?

I tried but it's not as easy as balancing the main blades. Their weight are equal (based on my lovely scale) and I attached both of them together and placed bits of tape on the middle of the highest one until they were level.

I'm gonna change the belt to see if it has a bad kink or something then go on and spend hours upon hours trouble shooting every single part until I go nut again.

1) belt off, full motor speed, if noise remains then its up front, otherwise its on the tail
2) belt on, no tail blade, if the noise remains then its in the tail assembly, if not its the tail blades
3) ???
4) Fly!!

IsaacNewton fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 2, 2011

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I'd skip the MCX as if you're like me you will quickly get bored with it. It's way too stable and doesn't require much talent to get moving.

The MSR (or the knock offs like the CB100 from Walkera or the Nine Eagle Pro) offer a much bigger challenge while staying somewhat in the realm of stable.

If your goal is to fly bigger collective pitch helis then that's what I recommend you do anyway. You'll need to learn to control the heli like it's a glass ball on a plate anyway (constant attention / tiny pitch corrections etc) and the MCX does not offer that.

If you're doing this for fun and giggle inside then a MCX would work better for you. It's also a great heli to pop out when you're drunk. :)

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I can't even fathom what the linkage would look like on a collective pitch coaxial. :o

Edit: Now I know and it's loving crazy.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Schottingham posted:

That level of wankery aside though, I keep seeing helicopters flying inverted, how is that possible? I understand that higher end helis allow you to change rotor blade pitch, but can they actually be reversed? It looks like the kid was twisting his control sticks to adjust something, is that the rotor pitch?

The 'higher end' helis you are speaking of are collective pitch helicopter.

http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Collective_pitch

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Finally fixed my 450, ended up being a lovely motor. (Don't build an heli with the Mystery motors.. It's crap.) The shaft was bent from what I assume to be the beginning since it always did that.

Welp so my 450 pro clone flies like heaven, my 450 SE V2 doesn't fly nearly as well but the servos on it aren't very good either.

Problem is.. I have the urge to build a cheap 500 clone. Someone stop me. :(

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Pictures? And components listing?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Doing what? It's such a vague question. I'll go ahead and assume you'd like to try flying things, and since I like helicopters a lot here's my suggestion to a complete beginner:

It's not expensive and you would have everything you need to get flying inside (don't even try to take it outside). If you crash it and break something that can't be fixed by a pair of pliers and time then I'd suggest you get a new one, those things are way too cheap to get parts for.

I'll leave the plane answers to more knowledge people.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I would never buy a product that do both the RX and the FPV system. That stuff needs to be separate and have their own battery etc.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

The likelyhood of both system failing at the same time is quite low. It's much easier (perhaps only on the mind) to trust the systems independently than it is to thrust them both together. Could very likely be just me though and like you said if you double up your system it would likely fix all issues.

Did anyone catch this on Cake Boss? It's unbelievably dangerous, the dude go ahead and flip the Idle up switch right then and there, unkowing of what it does and with the heli surrounded by people. Can you imagine that happening with a 600+ sized heli? He would have lost his leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eCn0NA84RA

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

The SR doesn't offer much over the mSR, it could get you used to seeing something bigger flying in the air but it wont teach you much otherwise. The mCPx is what I would also recommend. It's sturdy as gently caress for what it is (collective) and you can learn a lot with it.

helno posted:

That is about standard. If you want longer flight times get a fixed wing platform.

If you add a bigger battery in a small helicopter you increase wieght and then need more power to lift the bigger battery.

You can also get much longer flight time with nitro helis, but then we're talking about 500+ sized collective pitch helicopters. If you are not ready to fly those, 5-10 minutes is PLENTY long enough. Your brain need a rest after a little bit anyhow. It's quite demanding when you begin flying them.

IsaacNewton fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 28, 2011

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Anyone built foamy planes? I want to build one that is fun to fly. I know how to fly CP helicopters already and can fly the planes pretty well on the sim so I don't really want a starter, slow as poo poo, plane even if it's my first.

Any ideas? I got plenty of 9g servos so it would be nice if I could use those.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

That's the problem, there's like 2 million plans out there and I don't know which one works and which ones flies like poo poo. Helicopters are much easier to figure out in that regard.

It mights be easier to just get a cheap plane from hobby king but I liked the idea of building a plane from scratch.

Edit: Oh you edited your post, thanks! I'll look into that. :)

IsaacNewton fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 4, 2012

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

helno posted:

Sounds like someone needs a polaris.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922465

Even available as a kit if you dont want to do any cutting.

http://modelaero.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=POL-1&Category_Code=AM

Where do you get that bare foam? Looks like a perfect model for me otherwise!

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

250 are bottomless pit of money, is it your first CP? I'd go minimum 450 sized. 250 are so incredibly hard to control and not only that, they are hard to get balanced just right too.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I didn't think the 250 would be capable having an FPV payload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

That's interesting. The idea is very good and might be lighter overall than a 4 motor quad. But that whole tail assembly on a 450 is not meant to spin those 250 blades, the tail shaft is super soft and the whole slider thing will end up binding eventually because of the weight. Not to talk about the torque tube setup which strips easily. Love the way he thinks though but he really need to use something with a bigger shaft.