Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

Harmburger posted:

Don't forget to make sure you're compliant with local air traffic laws. In the US, it's illegal to fly only by camera without the license from the FAA.

Not true. The reality is that there is no legal framework for FPV flying. Either for or against. The most you will find is that private organizations for RC aircraft like the AMA have their own rules and guidelines for members. The FAA did issue some guidelines back in 81, but they are just guidelines and not legally binding in any way.

If I want to drop an FPV airplane off a weather balloon at 100K feet I'm free to do so. And it would be loving awesome.

Now I do believe people doing FPV have an ethical and moral requirement to keeps the risks of FPV flying reasonable. But thats a whole different kettle of debate. And really the risk to full size aircraft is minimal. A goose is a much bigger threat to most aircraft.

I think I'm going to do one of these for a summer project. Optionally I think I'm going to see if I can make some sort of miniature TCAS receiver.

Edit:

As far as vids go. I'm quite partial to trappy's nyc vid: http://www.vimeo.com/17351140

ValhallaSmith fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
What features do you guys think are needed in RC/FPV equipment yet. I've been getting some ideas together for a 2.4 Ghz SDR transceiver that uses some different encoding techniques. Kind of an all in one that will do whatever you want with 2.4 ghz signals. Should be able to read half the 2.4 ghz band at a time, 1 usb, and some I/O for driving servos, esc, etc. Plus the ability to transmit at about the same level.

One idea is to use them to transmit in a chain for farther range. Also I have some ideas for virtual MIMO, so if you have multiple planes flying in an area they can act together as a single larger antenna (simplification).

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005

IsaacNewton posted:

I would never buy a product that do both the RX and the FPV system. That stuff needs to be separate and have their own battery etc.

Why? If you lose either, you are probably crashing. At least with something like this you could set a fail safe mode.

How often are LiPos failing? If its an issue I could always add a second battery connector and some sort of isolation system in case one shorts.

Also it would be pretty easy to have better power management in a unit like this. Drop camera down to low resolution and transmit fewer frames. Or shut down all tx and autopilot home if there is a gps hooked up.

Working in the 5 ghz bands seems like a hazard, it can fade out pretty bad in NLOS. I'll have to try out both more than likely or if I can find a reasonable priced dual band mixer.

I kind of see this as a stepping stone item. I'd really like to see the ability to pull in other bands on the RX side so I can do aircraft see and avoid. But that will take a more expensive adc, which is a major cost of this type of radio.

I think I'll aim to make this more of a experimenter platform. SDKs that people can use to dump their own code on the cpu.