Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Was I just imagining things yesterday, or was the phrase "video goggles" used in conjunction with piloting these honkeys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Manny posted:

That's just now it's designed, with the battery on a movable slider so you can balance it out. I'm building it as planned for now, but I'm looking at pan and tilt mechanisms which would be better suited to hang directly below. The camera can be configured to run upside too.

Here's a few stills that I've taken with the camera strapped to a twinstar. I'm working on editing the video, and trying out some stabilization software too.

I tried attaching it under a nitro-powered plane and it didn't end well. First it covered the camera in a smeary mess of oil, then on the 2nd flight the engine quit after takeoff and I tried to make it back to the field but going downwind and the extra drag and weight of the camera didn't help me. I should have stayed into wind - live and learn. Ended up breaking off the undercarriage and cracking a camera mount. Horrible vibration from the 4-stroke too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJcGurY46s

The videos I've taken with the electric twinstar are a lot better, just finding time to edit down all the footage.

Sweet. What kind of engines do these planes have, anyway?

Also watching that amazing stuntz chopper video it occurs to me that it's weird that a R/C chopper has a tail rotor. In the full scale things, tail rotors are much less ideal then the twin rotor configuration, as it sucks like 30% of the power from the main engine. Maybe this is different in a chopper that uses electricity...