Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
gently caress ya'll, I'm cross-posting this bitch from the robot thread:

MEEEEeeee posted:

This is my current build project:

Click here for the full 1126x845 image.

See it belongs in the robot thread because it's a robot, and belongs here because it flys!

I bought an easystar foamie aircraft to use as a fixed wing POV flyer, but I haven't put it together yet. I do have the camera though which I've modified heavily. I might spend some time mounting the servos today and then I'll put up a couple pictures. $60 for a wireless camera isn't too bad, especially if you're willing to do a few modifications to make it actually work. I've taken it all the way apart and done some custom modifications that (supposedly) make it better, and I was hoping to write up a nice documentation so other people can also effectively spy on girls.

EDIT:

quote:

One idea I have which I have not seen implemented is a parachute. A simple plastic canopy and some form of RC release could possibly save lots of money in addition to being very cool.
Or you could just not crash! :v:

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

CptAJ posted:

Well, I couldn't find another RC thread (I'm sure there must be one but I can't search) so I'll ask here and you guys can answer or point me in the right direction:

I got this cheap toy indoor helo from a friend yesterday and I've been struggling a bit with the controls. It has no manual and I can't find anything about it online. So here's a picture of it and the controls and maybe you can make a best guess as to what each of them do:

http://i.imgur.com/fyqQo.jpg The helo

http://i.imgur.com/1vBBD.jpg The controller. A few notes:

1- This joystick moves up and down. It has a groove for sideways motion but its a dummy I guess. Controls the throttle.
4- This one does have up/down and left/right motion. Controls the turning and foward/back motion.
5- Is a knob and along with 6 seem to have some effect on turning too but I cant figure it out.
2- Something with the throttle. Dont know what
3- some effect on foward/back motion. not clear either.
7- Dummy. Does nothing, doesnt move.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like part of the complexity is because they're using a 4-ch controller but only activated 3 channels (why the left stick looks like it should have left-right control but doesn't).

The sliders next to the sticks (2,3,6,7) are usually used to adjust the zero point of the joysticks. If you find your copter turns slowly without any right stick movement, you should be able to zero it out with the sliders. 5 might be similar but I don't recognize it.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ease posted:

I remember seeing a video of some multi rotor helis performing some insanely precise aerobatics. Like flying through a slot in plywood while doing a loop. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and where to find the video?

Durr, I think I answered my own question, check out these videos. Insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvRTALJp8DM&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geqip_0Vjec&feature=related

I've always considered these videos cheating. They are using a lab full of high-precision IR cameras to locate the vehicle and doing a lot of processing off of the platform. It would be more impressive if the vehicle was able to do these things 'in the wild', so to speak.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I've seen efforts to work the Kinect platform onto RC aerial vehicles, and I think that may be the way forward. CV is a bitch, but stereoscopic vision makes it relatively easy to pick out openings and stuff.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Too funny not to share:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcDN409ZBv4

RC planes shaped to look like flying people.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

IsaacNewton posted:

Where do you get that bare foam? Looks like a perfect model for me otherwise!

Looking online, http://www.rcfoam.com/ seems like a possible source. More expensive than I would like :(

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I am looking for a brushed ESC for a project, does anyone have a source they like? They seem to be pretty much impossible to find; I understand that a brushless motor is superior, but I am modifying a existing RC vehicle and I think brushed motors have gone the way of the dinosaur in the hobby.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

That may not be a bad deal, thanks. I found some on hobbyking that were not in stock (let alone in stock at the US warehouse) and was not having luck anywhere else.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Slanderer posted:

On a semi-related note: does anyone know about any multicopters that use custom ESC boards that control *all* the motors? I've thinking about the future, and at some point I really want to make my own micro quad, which means bulky ESCs are out of teh question. In terms of designing the circuit, laying out the PCB, and handling the firmware, that's really NBD (namely, I'd probably port open source firmware for ESCs using Atmega mcu's to a slightly beefier controller). But I'm sure there are some caveats involving EMI that I'm overlooking, so if anyone knows of any custom builds like this, I'm all ears.

I've been wanting to do this as well; there doesn't seem to be much reason to run a ton of boards when all the work can easily be done on one. When I looked a while back there didn't seem to be much out there, but maybe that has changed.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ease posted:

^- :parrot:Richie Spice:parrot:

I have an unused HK KK board I'll ship to someone for for the cost of shipping (small flat rate box). First person to reply here gets it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21977__HobbyKing_Multi_Rotor_Control_Board_V3_0_Atmega328_PA_.html

I could use that for my quadcopter project.

PM me :)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I've got a problem with some insurgents in my local neighborhood, does anyone have any schematics on how to hook up some model rockets to a drone?

Why not a shotgun? :zoid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZCH1492CzA

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 17, 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

FuzzyBuddha posted:

Awesome. :) Thanks for the info. I've registered on the site. Now to get to reading.

I thought a username concurrently reading the thread looked familiar, ha!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I'm slowly piecing together a fpv vehicle to zip around in, and I'm currently shopping for the video rx/tx and camera. It looks like a lot of racers are using some sort of immersionRC radio and a PZ0420M camera. Are there other setups i should be looking into? Any goggle recommendations? I'm leery of the built-in receivers, but if they work well it may not be such a big problem. I am hoping to get into racing or situations where there are multiple quads flying around, should I worry about getting radio gear that can operate in multiple channels?

That said, I can hold off on the goggles for a bit though because I impulse bought a Quanum kit a while ago. While I figure the longer I can hold off on buying something, the better the gear ends up being but it would be silly to hold off on the goggles and then have to update the rest of the fpv gear later to take advantage of better resolution or whatever down the road. This hobby does seem to be moving pretty quick, every time I check into stuff there is a bunch of neat new stuff out.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 3, 2015

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I like the :science: approach, but I would have guessed that props (and all the air they are moving) are a strong enough factor that you couldn't discount them when profiling the airflow around the frame. Am I way off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I've always thought that the typical quad copter frame is built in the wrong direction, and needs to be arranged more perpendicular to the plane of the props. The bodies present little forward surface area when they are flat, but when you care most (going fast) they are tilted at steep angle. To my uneducated eye, it looks like the body would push the quad down when going forward. If the body was raked back much farther, it could probably add some lift along with having less forward surface area when at full speed.

At some point it starts looking less like a quad and more like a four-propped 3D flyer though :iiam: