Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

I've wanted a drone for a while now and got recently got myself a mini 3. I was flying it around a few weekends ago and a falcon (I think) attacked it. Fortunately it recovered and I got the drone back and also I was recording when it happened. Here's the frame with the best view of the culprit:

I guess my question for everyone is does this sort of thing happen very often? Do I need to start keeping a lookout for prowling birds of prey?

Additionally, how lucky was I that the drone recovered? Is recovery from mid-air collisions something that most drones can do to one extent or another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Water is a harsh mistress. On the one hand, you can basically go wild and do whatever you want without worrying about plowing your drone into a crowd of people, on the other hand, if it touches down at all, its gone. Not like a normal crash where you might be able to repair your drone or re-use some parts, its just gone

That being said, I fly over Lake Michigan constantly, I prefer it actually, but I have a DJI Air 2, which is not nearly as extreme as an FPV drone.

The weekend before last I was checking out some area shipwrecks and suffered a sudden loss of battery power (from 70% to 20% in seconds) further out than I could get it back before it forced a landing in the water and because I was using a 3rd party battery it won't be covered under DJI's flyaway coverage.

It was an expensive lesson.

Hopefully I'm able to afford a replacement soon, I've really been enjoying getting to look at things I'd otherwise never be able to see, like shipwrecks. :smith:

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

crosspostin' the most dangerous drone selfie

That picture kicks rear end, nice!

Do you mind me asking where you crossposted it to? Do we have a thread for cool urbex-adjacent pictures?