Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Hello everyone. I've been collecting my backlog for several years now and haven't played much of anything. I stumbled across this thread recently, and hopefully with community support, I can motivate myself to not just look at my games, but enjoy them, too.

I really love the backloggery site and am still updating it, but this is how I currently stand. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Rather than beating anything, I added another game to my "Now Playing" list. Borderlands is pretty awesome - especially since me and a couple friends are all starting the game from the beginning together.

Have also made some progress in Edge. That's a great puzzle/platformer, and I enjoy playing it when I have small amounts of time to spare.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I made some good progress yesterday on Ocarina of Time 3D. I quit at the Water Temple as a kid, so I'm happy to have made it past that stage and further. For some reason, the boss at the Shadow Temple was very difficult - took me 4 tries to get past it, using 2 fairies to revive myself. I had to have been doing something wrong, or is it really that tough?

I've also been playing more Borderlands than I expected. I'm usually not a fan of FPS games like this, but for some reason, I love this one. It's probably the co-op with people that I know that helps out.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't know if this is commonly considered to be the case, but I found Shadow Temple in general to be the hardest temple in the game, and Bongo Bongo the hardest boss.

That said, it didn't take me four tries, and it shouldn't be that much harder than the other bosses - use hoverboots to dampen the bouncing, shoot both hands, lens of truth, shoot the eye, stab, repeat.

Hover boots dampen the bouncing?!?! :doh: I didn't even think to try that. I thought the hover boots were a dumb gimmick to jump pits and stopped using them as quickly as possible. Figures that I would forget the tried and true method of using the dungeon item on the boss. :eng99:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I managed to complete EDGE today. I beat all levels (normal, extended, bonus) with all prisms collected, and hunted down all achievements that didn't require speed-running or ridiculous amounts of edge time. I thought it was a really good game, and the difficulty curved nicely. The final levels had me frustrated with the precision timing and amount of edge time I had to pull off, but it was very satisfying when completed.

Next on my list is to check out the bonus challenges in The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom. I like the idea of playing one PC game and one console game at the same time. I'll see how long that lasts.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Boggus posted:

Currently 9 hours in on Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga. Anyone got any idea on how long this game is? It is so far a pretty mediocre western rpg that is fun in short bursts. I am pretty much well experienced when it comes to western rpgs so this game isn't really a hurdle but I really want to know how much there is left seeing how the story is beginning to slow down.

According to How Long to Beat, it's about 35 hours for the main story: http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=192.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Completed: The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom. I beat this game awhile back, but I wanted to come back to play the bonus challenges. It's very similar to Braid, and I love the puzzles that it poses. I'm not very into speed-running, so I won't be getting all the time medals on the bonus levels. I did get the recording medals on them, which was very challenging.

My next challenge is to pick out which Steam game to play next. I'd like some thoughts from my fellow Goons on this. I have three options:

1) Start with all the small, short games I've picked up in various bundles or deals over the years (e.g. Jamestown, Cave Story+, Trine, etc.)
2) Play Fallout 3 & New Vegas, which a friend gifted me for Christmas
3) Play Skyrim, which my brother gifted me for my birthday in March

I don't want to diss my brother or friend by not playing amazing (or so I've heard) games they spent $50+ on, but I think the whole snowball effect of getting through small games may motivate me to play more. Thoughts?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. Goons are the best support group. :)

I think I'm going to follow a bit of everyone's advice - I installed Skyrim, and used the fortune cookie to pick my alternate game (had it not been a short game, like VVVVVV, I would have kept picking).

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

:aaaaa: Looking forward to it?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I get through games so slowly. I wish I was back in college. :smith:

I haven't beaten anything, but I've made some progress in some games. And this being a "support" group of sorts, I'd still like to share.

Borderlands - My Siren is level 26, and I just entered Krom's Canyon. I'm pretty sure I missed some missions prior to this area, so I may go back and get them. I was playing with a friend who has a level 37 Hunter - it was fun to watch him demolish stuff with his melee.

LoZ: OoT 3D - I entered the Spirit Temple. The Gerudo Fortress was interesting, but not much stealth involved. It was more about shooting the guards with arrows than hiding and sneaking. I'm on the fence whether I want to get all the heart pieces and golden skulltullas. My "collect everything" sense nags at me, but I know there's really not much reward in getting them.

I've installed Skyrim and VVVVVV in preparation to play those.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Completed - VVVVVV: This game is very challenging, but not in a way that put me off. I managed to get all the trinkets, but won't be doing time trials or anything like that.

Played Skyrim for a couple hours, too. Not sure how to mark progress in that game, but I can see how people get sidetracked from the quests very easily. Why the hell do I need to catch butterflies? Who cares, I'm going to do it for 10 minutes anyway.

Everyone was right earlier - starting with a small game and beating it quickly made me feel pretty good. I'm definitely motivated to play more now. Next small game to tackle is Hamilton's Great Adventure. I'm about halfway through this already, so it shouldn't be too bad to get through.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 15, 2012

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Not much to say - it's classic Zelda. The graphics update in this remake is amazing, and the 3D is done really well (for the couple minutes that I actually used it). If you have a 3DS and don't own this, definitely get it.

I'm missing the heart piece at the Bombchu Bowling alley, but the random prize choice is killing me - 20 wins in a row, and you still aren't going to offer it up!?!? :argh: 10 golden skulltulla tokens are also spread around various dungeons, but New Super Mario Bros. 2 just came out, so that's obviously taking priority over some stupid dad that was turned into a spider.

Hamilton's Great Adventure - made it to Level 5 of the final world. I'd be completing it much faster if I wasn't going for Gold on every level. Pretty fun, frogger-esque game.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I decided not to do the bonus levels in Hamilton's Great Adventure because I was getting tired of the same-ness to everything, so I marked it as Beaten and took it off my Now Playing list.

I picked up Psychonauts again. This game is good, though the controls on the PC feel a bit off. Was it better on the consoles, originally?

Trying to beat something else before I have to sign-off of games for a couple weeks due to getting married and all that is involved with that.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Not a Steam game, but I mastered NSMB2 - an accomplishment most 3 year olds can also claim. This game is fun (as all Mario games are), but the abundance of coins makes it not challenging in any way, shape or form.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat: Psychonauts. I'm about seven years late to the party, but I found the game very enjoyable. One super frustrating bit in the last level and some graphics glitches here and there - overall great, though. Only a few achievements to 100% it, so might as well, right?

Next? I suppose I'll try to get back into Skyrim, or maybe just pickup a smaller game to whittle away at my ever-growing collection.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Completed Psychonauts: I'm finally done with this game. I don't know why I feel the need to collect everything 100% in these types of games, but I did it. I guess it's an indication of the quality of the game if you don't want to put it down until you've wrung every last gameplay element out of it.

Beat Toki Tori: I installed this during last year's summer sale to get a ticket or something, and I figured I should finish it out before uninstalling it. Not bad for casual puzzle/platforming. Some of the later hard levels get crazy challenging, though.

I like the idea of getting through my installed games before starting something new, so here comes a load of random small games I installed to get carnival tickets / winter coal.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Since I've been traveling cross-country for the holidays, I have been unable to play Steam games on my desktop. Fortunately, however, my backlog is filled with games across multiple platforms.

Beat Rayman 3D: this is a port of Rayman 2: The Great Escape, which was a great Nintendo 64 platformer. It is not so great on the 3DS. The port is buggier than I remembered the 64 version being, and some levels were infuriating due to the weird camera and control bugs. However, I pressed through, because I never finished the original green cartridge version on the 64, and I needed to justify my launch day purchase of this game (and the system itself).

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat Trine: I had installed this to get some coal in last year's Winter sale, and I finally decided to beat it. Pretty good game. I'd heard that you can use the wizard to cheese most of the more challenging parts, and I can totally see how that's possible, but I chose not to.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

"Beat" The Cave - This game is built for multiple play-throughs, so I still have three or four more to go before I've seen everything. After the first time though, subsequent play-throughs become quicker, so I don't see it taking too much more effort. It has great graphics, challenging puzzles, and a good story with a great sense of humor. This is the first game I've played at launch in a long time, and I'm glad I made the decision to do so.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat Borderlands: A bit late to this, I suppose. It's a wonderful game, especially when played with friends. My brother and other friend's characters were always above me when we were playing (with their second or third characters), so I'm sure the game was a hell of a lot easier for me than most people playing together at the same level. Gonna try to get through the DLC as time moves on, but I'm really glad I stuck with this one to the end - it was a very enjoyable co-op experience.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat The Binding of Isaac: Now, I know I haven't truly beat the game since I only just killed mom in the Depths 2, but after 77 deaths and 19 hours of play, this is a hell of an accomplishment for me, and I wanted to share. I love this game because it's so easy to play while doing something else, like watching TV.

On to an additional 20 hours to get the random amazing build that I had this play-through and kill mom for real.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 4, 2013

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I had planned to complete The Cave this weekend, but instead, I followed a co-worker's advice and bought Ni no Kuni for PS3. Holy poo poo is this game beautiful. I'm not a huge fan of the combat so far, but goddamn if I don't love Studio Ghibli animation. I'm completely fine with my decision to be sidetracked by this. I've only scratched the surface so far, but if anyone's been on the fence about it, give it a serious look for the graphics alone - you can get past the okay combat by playing on Easy.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Zedicus Mann posted:

That reminds me, I think having the Backloggery for my games has conditioned me to want a similar list for other medias. I want to make a list of movies I've watched and haven't watched or music albums I've started, but haven't completely listened to.
Just a weird thought I keep having though.

I've been thinking the same thing. I use Goodreads for books I've read/want to read, and Netflix for movies I've watched/want to watch. But why not combine them all into a single platform? I'm not sure if that makes me a bit obsessive about it, though.

Edit: To add some thread-related content. I finally made it to and destroyed Mom's Heart in The Binding of Isaac. I know there's so much more content to this game, but I'd consider it properly beat at this point. I'm not gonna stop playing because it's too drat addicting.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 16, 2013

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - The Cave: I played through the game 5 times in order to see all the endings and get all (but one) achievements. The first 2 times were great, the 3rd time was okay, the 4th and 5th times were a definite slog. I can understand where the negativity towards this game comes from. The novelty wears away quickly, and there isn't enough variety in gameplay for the multiple characters. I still enjoyed the game and would recommend picking it up when it's on sale, but the $15 price point is a tad too high for what it provides.

I'm not playing through this game another time to get that last achievement. No-death runs are pointless.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?!!

To really enjoy this game, you have to be in a very small population of people that 1) own a Nintendo 3DS; 2) liked The Adventure of Link; and 3) love Adventure Time. If you are in that group, then this is a great game. If you are not, then you could probably pass on this.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Nimbus

A fun little game that was very challenging, even though I play on Easy. The "boss fight" seemed really out of place with the rest of the game, though.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Jolly Rover:

This is an all-around okay adventure game. Nothing to give awards to, but nothing to go burn either. It took a few hours to beat, and I used the hint system twice in some spots where I didn't want to try every possible combination of item use.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Nulled some games this weekend. Sometimes you gotta know when to fold 'em.

Nulled - Rush: It was fun, but got repetitive and lost my interest.
Nulled - BIT.TRIP Beat: It was okay, but not interesting or varied enough for me to continue spending my time to overcome the challenge of it.
Nulled - BIT.TRIP Runner: Same as above.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Super Meat Boy: gently caress if this game doesn't make me want to kick my computer while simultaneously exclaiming to the world how awesome I am. And I just finished the light world. Lord knows how soon I'd have a heart attack if I attempted to 100% this game. No thanks. Getting through everything on the light side and beating 7 of the warp zones is good enough for me. Calling it done.

Also, just so we're clear: this game is probably one of the better platformers I've ever played in terms of sheer challenge and sense of accomplishment at getting past obstacles. I love the way it's setup because each obstacle only keeps you stuck for a handful of tries before you figure out the best path forward, and then you move on the next challenge. Really well put together, but I just can't see myself putting more effort into fully completing the game.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 23, 2013

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - And Yet It Moves: Interesting game mechanic, but overall just meh.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Colon V posted:

Should I bother with this game, or just null it?

I agree with the above statements. It only took me 2 and half hours, so if you find that you're enjoying it still after 30 minutes, may as well beat it. I think the last chapter was my favorite due to the way the "story" made the levels look and play out.

The reason I said it was just "meh" is because the overall game didn't engage me that much, and the "rotating world" mechanic oftentimes didn't make sense in how it carried momentum through. I swear sometimes I could fall half a screen and not die, and other times, I'd drop a quarter screen and be dead, just to force me to follow the path the dev wanted me to.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Completed - New Super Mario Bros. U:
It's like every NSMB game - fun with friends, and fairly easy unless you're going for 100%. If you have a Wii U and don't have this game, not sure what's wrong with you because it was one of the only good launch titles.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Nulled - Doc Clock and the Toasted Sandwich of Time: This game is clunky and unintuitive. Not giving it more than 30 minutes.

Nulled - Galcon Fusion: This game is fun, but with any lack of a campaign, it's hard to measure as "Beat".

Started - Orcs Must Die!: I don't know why I took so long to get to this. It's amazingly fun.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Orcs Must Die!: This was a really good game. Just the right amount of challenge and tool progression in it to keep you wanting to move forward. It took me too long to play this.

Edit: Nulled - SpaceChem: I get the appeal of this game, but I don't like spending so much time (and thought) on these levels.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 28, 2013

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Element4l: This is a cute little platformer. Very challenging towards the end, and the game mechanic adds to that.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Offspring Fling:

This game has a very interesting mechanic by using your babies as projectiles, some cute sprite work, and an awesome soundtrack. It hides its insane difficulty until the end when you unlock the extra levels. I am not even going to try to beat those because they are Super Meat Boy levels of pixel-perfect precision and timing.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Blocks that Matter: This was a pretty good puzzle platformer. I spent the extra time to get all the blocks that matter, but not all the stars, on the original levels.

Nulled - Gratuitous Space Battles: Not for me.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Completed - McPixel: This game was not at all what I was expecting. It reminded me of a WarioWare game, but with even more inane solutions and way too many fart jokes. I don't know why I 100%'ed the game, but I did. All regular levels, bonus levels, and DLC levels. I'm pretty sure I've gone crazy.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I've been sidetracked by other things, so I haven't beaten anything in awhile.

Completed - The Walking Dead: :cry: That's all I have to say about that.

Now, I'm debating if I should immediately buy the DLC, or play one of my 669 :sigh: unfinished games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Faerie Solitaire: Surprisingly fun and addicting. I've been playing this on-and-off while watching TV/movies over the past few weeks. The "story" drags on forever, but it's a good game that you don't have to pay much attention to. I'm gonna complete the challenges, and then call it done (27 / 30 achievements is good enough since the rest will involve "grinding" to hatch baby monsters).