Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ok guys, here's how this is going to go down for me, americanzero4128, steam calc

I am going to work through my backlog one game at a time, and first complete the games that I've started but haven't finished. For that, the first game I'll be completing will be Half Life 2, which I've beat twice before (about 5 years ago) but want to play again. I started this about 4 months ago, got to the antlion part, and stopped. I have never played the episodes, so I wanted to get the background in my mind again before starting the episodes (since I heard they start right after the base game ends).

The only other game I am allowed to play during this is Bad Company 2 because I play with my brother when we're not working. Trying to knock out this backlog once and for all. If backloggery was accepting registrations I'd get on that as more motivation, but it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm still working through Half Life 2. I don't have the time that I used to have to play games, and the previous two times I played this it was on easy and medium, so I'm going through on hard. I'm almost through Nova Prospekt now, so I'm in the final 1/3rd of the game.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Saturday posted:

I'll have to get in on this random-generator poo poo sometime. Currently I'm playing my way through Mass Effect 2 after beating the first one at long last (had it for 360, lost the loving disc, picked up a Christmas deal copy on Steam, loved the poo poo out of it), then I've got a ton of poo poo to actually beat. Amnesia, Dragon Age, Max Payne, and Indigo Prophecy come to mind. Any recommendation from that list? I've also got Deus Ex that I never beat, STALKER (currently hanging out at the Yantar lab), Republic Commando, Titan Quest, The Void, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Assassin's Creed (beat once, playing through again to ease myself into the sequel which I have never played), Beyond Good & Evil, Cryostasis, Darksiders, Fallout 3, FarCry 2, Hitman 1 and 2, Manhunt, Mirror's Edge, Psychonauts, and Condemned. (Okay, Condemned isn't a Steam game, sue me.)

Jesus Christ, maybe this is why my bank account tanked after Christmas. How have I not dropped out of college yet?

If you want something quick, don't play Deus Ex. If you want a game that is loving awesome, tons of replayability, and will last you a while, then play Deus Ex. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is pretty fun and isn't a long game.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Mr Right posted:

If you use this calculator it gives you a number beside each game to really tell you what game #27 is.

e: forgot the link

Is Steam Calculator broken for anyone besides me? I'm getting a /calculator.php not found.

In other news, I'm on Anticitizen One in Half Life 2. I know I'm getting close to the end. Got to keep working on it now.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to let you know that I'm listed in the OP twice. Still working through the Half Life 2 series. I might be the slowest gamer ever. Finally on the Follow Freeman chapter. Only have gotten a couple hours in.

I'm ready to finish the original game and then dive into Magicka or maybe Warcraft 3.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Registration is closed on http://backloggery.com/ - does anyone know of another good site like this?

I'm on the 4th chapter of Half Life 2: Episode 1. Getting really drat annoyed with Alyx.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Half Life 2: Episode 1 and I really didn't enjoy it as much as I thought. I wish they kept the gravity gun the same throughout instead of gimping it after the first chapter. Alyx is still annoying as ever. Hopefully in Episode 2 she leaves after Gordon says his only words to her, "I don't like you." I also don't think the people that wrote Alyx's lines had ever talked to a girl before. "Gordon, you're my hero!" "Gordon, you're the best" gets pretty loving old.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

If Arkham Asylum is on your to do list and you're not playing it RIGHT NOW you're doing it wrong. Fix it.

I started playing this today, and just defeated Bane. I'd still be playing, but I have to go to sleep. Definitely wish I had started playing this when I got it, a year and a few months ago.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am working through Batman: Arkham Asylum, but took a break from that for Defense Grid. Man, this game is addicting. I'd still be playing if I didn't have to drive to see my fiancee tonight. Tomorrow I hope to put a pretty big dent in Arkham Asylum before checking out of videogames for the next week or two while March Madness is going on.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

The Machine posted:

I actually like the idea of going through my catalog genre by genre.

I tried doing this, but playing 3 different FPS games at the same time, even if they were different "styles" (I was playing Half Life 2 + episode 1 and 2 more story driven, Far Cry 2 open world to dick around in, and Crysis shoot people in the face or throw barrels at them to kill them) but I got bored with it. I was able to get around this by playing a tower defense game (Defense Grid), 3rd person action/adventure (Batman: Arkham Asylum) and a mindless ARPG, Titan Quest. I much prefer this method.

Plus, the idea of trying to play 3 or 4 different RPGs at once is :smithicide: mainly because I spend tons of hours on RPGs and I would feel like I'm not making progress if I'm switching between games of the same genre all the time. I don't know if that makes any sense to you, but it does to me, who knows why.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just beat Batman: Arkham Asylum for PC. It took me about 20 hours to do so, but it was a blast. I highly recommend it if anyone here has it in their backlog but hasn't played it yet. It is a combination of a beat 'em up style game with some puzzles. I played it on Medium and was challenged at parts, but not to the point where I was getting frustrated. The only disadvantage to this was GFWL, but if you update that outside of the game a lot of the frustration that is had with that can be alleviated.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Falcon2001 posted:

$615.42 USD :(

Time to sign up for Backloggery.

Edit: drat you, signups closed! Now I'll never be able to play through my back log.

I am just as frustrated as you with signups closed. If you find another site similar to backloggery let me know! I've been looking and haven't been able to find one.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have started Freedom Force as my next game to beat. I picked this up a couple years ago in a pack with this game plus Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich and it only cost me $2. I have just added El Diablo to my party so I'm still close to the beginning, but I'm enjoying this. It's an RPG set in a generic comic book universe, so if you think this is your cup of tea give it a shot. There are also supposed to be tons of mods to add other superheroes, like the Green Lantern, Colossus, basically anyone you can think of (or so I've read) but I haven't looked for any yet, because I haven't tired of the characters I have in the game currently.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I decided to also play through Far Cry. So that bring my list of games I'm playing to completion to:

-Half Life 2: Episode 2
-Freedom Force
-Far Cry

Really not too bad, but I have a feeling that it will be 2-3 weeks before these games are completed. I feel like I don't have as much time as I used to to play games. I really want to play through Dragon Age, Arcanum, and Crysis but I know Arcanum is a good month, same with Dragon Age. I just have too many good games.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ohnoitschris posted:

How much do you even have to play a game to say you've gotten your money's worth? A lot of my games were less than $3, and I spend way more than that on a single trip to the arcade. I post this because there's no way in hell I'm going to dedicate hours and hours to a game just because it managed to slip in with some bundle or it turned out to be crap. :v:

As for these dollar indie games, if I play 'em once for about 20 minutes, I think I've played it enough to constitute not having wasted the cash. How about you guys?

I know it's not a time amount, but for some of the cheaper games, I play until I'm bored with them. For example, I have played Far Cry before and got up until the trigens show up. I hope to beat the whole game this time, but I remember that as soon as they showed up it turned into an unfun slog through the game and I stopped playing.

I also have Poker Night at the Inventory, and I haven't gotten all the achievements or unlocks for TF2 yet (not that I play TF2 anyway) but it isn't the type of game I can play for hours on end. It's more a game I'll pick up for 20-30 minutes at a time.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well I got to the 2nd half of Far Cry. I remember this half being a drag, but I really hope to be able to get through it before calling it a day on this game. It's a really fun game and I've enjoyed the first half, so if the 2nd was just like the first but tougher enemies I'd have a blast but they got to go screw it up with freak mutant trigens.

Edit - if you're going to play this game, keep in mind by default it uses checkpoint saves. There's a way to change it to allow setting different keys to quicksave/quickoad, but I haven't done that yet. I might have to soon because it really sucks getting 10-15 minutes in and then not having it save. Ugh.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 30, 2011

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am stuck in Far Cry, but after 12 hours I think that I might just accept that I got 75% of the way through the game and didn't finish it. Maybe one day I'll go back to it, but now I switched to Gothic 2. I had been wanting to play a good RPG and this is definitely scratching that itch. While not playing Gothic 2, I've been cruising the streets in Burnout Paradise. I put about 13 hours into this before I reformatted my computer and lost all my progress, so I'm back trying to get the cars unlocked and do some bad rear end jumps.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Far Cry has been added to the "Completed, or close enough" category now that I've been stuck at the end of a level, trying to shoot down a helicopter on on a sinking ship, that takes at least 6 rockets to down. What a bunch of poo poo. After 13 hours, and 75% of the way through the game, I'm done with it.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I started Half Life 2: Episode 2 yesterday, and I'm almost onto the 6th chapter. It has gone fast, and has been fun. Way too much antlion killing for my tastes though.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Lurchibles posted:

That section definitely felt drawn out, it's not enough that you evade that crazy guard for ages but you have to defend Alyx for ages! Just too drawn out, but the game is still fantastic.

It's like you read my mind. I really wish I could have left Alyx to die but "Gordon, you always find a way" :swoon:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mrbo posted:

What worked for me here was wandering out to the back of the ship to trigger the heli spawn, then hauling rear end back to the room with the steering wheel and using the walls as cover. All the ammo/health in there despawns (wtf cryteam?) so you have to be careful with your rockets. Takes about 6 hits yeah.

I reckon you're a bit less than 75% through by content though, that's the first real tough part and there are three or four big ones coming.

I had tried hiding in the room with the steering wheel, but I kept getting shot by the chopper when I popped my head out to shoot it. The despawning poo poo really pissed me off too. I read and saw I had 5 levels left after I beat it, that's where I got the 75% from. Thought it was close. I guess I'm not a good enough gamer to beat this game. I uninstalled it in a fit of rage.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dorepoll posted:

Starting to put my library in virtual shelf form. It is actually pretty depressing.

http://darkadia.com/member/TheVelvetAnt/library

I did this. How did I get so many games?

http://darkadia.com/member/americanzero4128/library

Onto Chapter 6 in Episode 2. Nearly done. After I get through this I am going to keep going in Burnout Paradise and Freedom Force. Once I finish those two I think I might try an RTS.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just beat Half Life 2: Episode 2. I now understand why so many people want Episode 3 to come out. I am now in that group. Next up, continuing Freedom Force and Burnout Paradise.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am starting on my backlog again after a long trip to Germany and more time spent in Bad Company 2. I am going to play through Knights of the Old Republic.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Guys....I caved and bought 2 games during Ubisoft week, Assassin's Creed 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 5: Tribes of the East. I was doing very well before then, but hearing so many good things about those games and the low prices made it hard to not purchase them. I was also gifted a copy of Frozen Synapse. I haven't checked any games off of my backlog since Half Life 2: Episode 2. My progress has slowed down quite a bit, but I think I'm finally back on track. 4 hours into Kotor and I don't want to play any other games.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm about the same length in, did you get past the first city yet? I'm getting a bit tired of it, I've heard it's the most boring part, so hopefully I'm getting towards the end.

Also I'm really unfamiliar with the D20 games that apparently this gameplay is based on, so hopefully I didn't screw up my character build too badly. I went Scout because the other classes sounded uninteresting, but I'm having a bit of a hard time in combat. I get overwhelmed pretty quickly in the sewers.

I'm actually just getting into the sewers. I've played this before, when it first came out on an ancient computer so my memory of what all is included in the game is a bit fuzzy. I remember having a lot of fun once this bad rear end battle droid joins your party.

If you press spacebar you can pause the game and queue up commands. I've been running with a party of my character (who is a scoundrel, mainly because I wanted to try something different from melee) who has his primary attack as improved rapid fire or whatever the attack is with a blaster rifle. Carth uses improved power shot, and Mission uses sniper shot. Most enemies are dead before they get to me, but I've also gotten into the habit of putting down a frag mine if I have disarmed any, then drawing the enemies towards me and having them run through it to soften them up. I put a couple mines down and it made groups of 4-5 much easier.

I'm not getting too bored with the game right now, but it also helps that I've been wanting to get into a good RPG for a while and I'm a big Star Wars fan, so it's really hitting the spot for me.

With regards to organizing, I have a category for multiplayer, "Forever" games like Torchlight or Titan Quest, Completed, and Garbage for games like Bad Rats and Battlestations: Midway, the Mac copies of Civ 3, and other games that are just plain bad. The rest of my games are uncategorized.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hello friends, I'm trying to figure out how to add people, but I'm getting a lot of timeouts so I might try this again late tonight.

http://www.backloggery.com/americanzero4128

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hemish posted:

Can you guys add me? (http://www.backloggery.com/hemish) I can't add http://www.backloggery.com/americanzero4128 because the link is not there and I'm afraid I did something wrong in my account preventing you to add me.

That doesn't make any sense, I'm able to add games to my account. I have noticed I can't find where to add people. I'm trying to add Zat and Zedd, and I see the TF2 banner, but I don't see an "Add to Multitap" button on your page anywhere. When I'm in my multitap, I don't see how to add someone.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SmokinDan posted:

You can "Add to Multitap" just under their profile name.

The site is slow as hell or timing out at them moment, though.

I see it now, thank you. For those with the great vision that I have, on the right hand side of the page, where it shows their platforms, there is a loving tiny link with a green + sign next to it, that's where you add them.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Purple D. Link posted:

And have the hardest difficulty beaten if that applies.

I noticed today that they added Steam and GOG categories recently. I have so many games I need reorganize now. :(

God DAMNIT. They couldn't have done this yesterday?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

Yesterday as in June 3rd? I started my account and backlog yesterday at 1 PM EST, and Steam was there...

Welp :downs:

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Finally got all my games added, for progress, I just finished Dantooine in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I'm now beginning the planet hopping part of the game. If memory servers, I'm roughly 1/3 of the way done now.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am making pretty good progress in KotoR. I am on Kayshakk or however it is spelled and just got Jolee to join me and am taking down the Mandalorian hunters. This is a really fun game and I am already itching for another run through where I play a total rear end in a top hat Dark Jedi. I've beaten the game once before, a long time ago, and of course played a typical light side Jedi Knight. This run through I'm trying to use blaster rifles and the like instead of lightsabers, but I'm reverting to them when I get surrounded and it seems like I can't hit poo poo with my blaster rifle.

Still, a very fun game and when I finish this I'm going to finish unlocking the rest of the cars in Burnout: Paradise and get the final license, then I'll consider that game completed as well.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm still working on KotoR. I'm 17 hours in, cleared Kashykk and I just defeated the Sand People Chieftan and found Griff on Tattoine. KotoR is really fun and I'm surprised I've put as much time into it as I have. I am pretty sure I'm about halfway through Tattoine, and if I remember correctly, only about 2 planets left.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I completed Tattooine and now am on Manaan in Knights of the Old Republic. My goal is to finish this game in the next ~20 hours of play time, which seems like a lot but I seem to be averaging 4 hours or so per planet, and iirc I have Manaan, Koribaan, secret planet, then the final showdown.

After I finish this game I think I might pick up a shorter game and try my hand at either Bioshock or Assassin's Creed. Are either of those games quicker to beat than KotoR? I'm enjoying KotoR, but I feel like I'm not making progress on my backlog. I know there was another goon in here playing KotoR, how far are you in it?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am almost done on Manaan. I think this has been my least favorite planet so far in KotoR.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I am still working on KotoR...I just got the big twist where I find out I'm Darth Revan and now I'm on Koribaan. I am pretty sure I've got to be close to the end of this game. I think for my next game I am going to do something shorter, and not jump into another RPG like Divinity 2: DKS. I want some shorter games to burn through to look/feel like I'm improving my backlog.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I bought Just Cause 2 and was gifted Zen Bound 2. Other than that all my purchases have been gifts for other people. Not doing too bad as I had been eyeing Just Cause 2 after all the goon praise. It's been easy to not buy stuff, mainly because nothing looks interesting to me or I already own what's good and on sale.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Well, I bought and finished Jolly Rover. Check one off the list! Turns out, I also bought Garshasp: The Monster Slayer....what the gently caress was I thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm attempting to play through Garshasp....this game is a turd. Horrible controls with keyboard and mouse, awful camera angles, checkpoint save system, everything I hate in a game. And I still bought it. And I'm playing it. At least it's manageable with a controller.