Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Skwirl posted:

Forgotten City is a stand-alone version of a Skyrim mod. The mod had an uncomfortable sub plot where a guy was being abusive to an openly gay man because he was secretly gay. Does the stand-alone version have that also?

The 7th Guest posted:

Yeah it's in the full version as well so if you're not comfortable with that quest then you might want to avoid the game.

I didn't play the original mod, but I don't remember that character in the stand-alone version being homophobic due to him being secretly gay himself. It's explained as his religion (old school Christianity, if I remember right) is homophobic and he's suffering from rheumatism, and thus is lashing out at the easiest target to distract from the pain.

Actually, it looks like the true ending does say that they end up living together and there's mention of "helping [him] come to terms with himself", so I guess you're right! I wonder if the mod was more blatant about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Breadallelogram posted:

I used to write reviews for every steam game I finished, but I got bored of it a few years ago. I felt compelled to write again when I crossed this game off my list that's been there since 1999, though: Shenmue I & II

Holy poo poo, you're the first person I've seen besides me who hated running around the woods and doing QTEs for an hour at the end of 2. Everyone else is like "OMG IT'S SUCH A GOOD ENDING, THE VIBES ARE SO NICE" and I'm like :stare:

I enjoyed the first game more, because it was set in Ryu's hometown. WE as players are new to the area, but Ryu isn't. It had a more interesting vibe to me than 2's "both Ryu and the player are traveling to an unknown place and experiencing it together for the first time", which I feel is way more common in games. I loved Kowloon, though! I'm a sucker for walled cities.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I 100%'d 13 Sentinels, so it's on to Disco Elysium now!

I gotta admit I'm kinda intimidated by the character creator, as the choices are...weird compared to your standard RPG. I'm just gonna do the first playthrough as "myself" (for lack of a better term), then maybe replay as a big strongman type, as a total nutcase, as a fascist, etc.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

In progress
Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. I'm on case 2-3 and am dreading the end, as it means another hella long wait until the next Ace Attorney game! They need to re-release games 4, 5, and 6, like they did for the first trilogy.

The Pathless. I love "satisfying movement around the world" in games (think Nier: Automata), and boy, does this game have it. I'm on the final area and can't wait to clear the "corruption" poo poo so I can zip around the world unhindered.

Judgment. I'm in chapter 10 of 12 and kinda feel "stuck" because there's a (non-plot spoiler) Point of No Return and I have an irrational hatred of those, even if this game's one is temporary.

Just started
Persona 5: Royal. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know! I'm behind!

Completed:
Shin Chan: Me and the Professor on Summer Vacation. I have no real familiarity with Shin Chan (other than knowing that the American version is a lot more vulgar/mean-spirited than the Japanese one?), but I'm such a sucker for "life simulator" games like this.

Want to start, but...
Witcher 3. This seems like it's gonna be the "biggest" game I've started in a long time, and that feels intimidating to me! However, I'm finding myself with a lot of Japanese games on my current plate, and want to try to mix up the "vibes" a bit, if that makes sense. There's also Assassin's Creed Origins....

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Forspoken (PlayStation 5, 2022) - Kinda mad that this got such a bad rap from people who didn't actually play the game and just watched out of context YouTube clips. It's got flaws but I'm in love with the traversal and combat mechanics and Frey is a way better written protagonist than the internet hive mind would have you believe.

What games would you compare the traversal to? I'm a big sucker for the "running around" in both The Pathless and Nier: Automata....does this game "feel" similar to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Had another couple weeks of being too bummed/tired to play games, but we're back on it!

Completed 100%, Platinum, whatever you wanna call it):
Great Ace Attorney 1+2(PS4): what can I say? It's more Ace Attorney, and this one was new to me. The series is one of my favorites from when I was a kid, and I go back and replay some of the games every few years or so. AA 7 next? Hell, I'll take ports of 4, 5, and 6...

Tangle Tower (PS4): short but very enjoyable point-and-click murder mystery. The character portraits are animated very well, and I actually enjoyed the voice acting. I got it on sale for $5, but even $10 would have been worth it for me.

Since I finished both a visual novel and a point-and-click, next up is:

House in Fata Morgana (PS4)

Day of the Tentacle(PS4): never played this before, but my partner loves it. I doubt I'll enjoy it more than Grim Fandango, but let's go!

Still playing:

Persona 5 Royal (PS4): Fixin' to beat the first dungeon...the beginnings of Persona games when you only have three or four party members kinda sucks in comparison to later when you get more options. Still, I'm enjoying it so far. My one gripe is that (at least so far), I don't like the OST nearly as much as 4 or especially 3.

GTA V (PS4): Just playing a mission or so a day; mostly just love cruising around or walking in first person mode. Yes, I played way too much of this back on the PS3, but hey, that was ten...oh GOD, that was ten years ago. :stare: