Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

The 7th Guest posted:

#156: Ziggurat (1.5hr) - Roguelike FPS that has been praised in the past.. I actually thought it was kinda bare bones, the rooms have very little variation, the floors have little variation, you just do five of 'em and that's it. Even the bosses are kinda samey. I assume immortal redneck has done this better, I'll have to try that one eventually.

Immortal Redneck is a lot better imo. The best roguelite FPS might actually be the early access Gunfire Reborn. I loved Immortal Redneck, but would almost recommend skipping it and going straight to Gunfire at this point, especially if you are waiting awhile to play either anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Good-Natured Filth posted:

A third-person open world game without any combat and only puzzles and discovery would be my jam.

I know this is counter to the purpose of the thread, but Sable is basically this

E: also! Had a light gaming month but here was my progress through a bunch of Freelancer-likes plus one game about dwarves.

Galaxy on Fire 2- beaten this as much as I plan to. It’s a solid enough freelancer like game, which mostly made me realize that i really want to play everspace 2 when it’s out or some similar freelancer like.

Regions of Ruin- beaten as much as I’m going to. It’s a fun combo of world map/town management with going out using your character and a small party into little action platforming levels to collect more resources. Again, looking forward to seeing what the sequel does. The basic loop is fun but pretty barebones, and no given mechanic is that great although the combination is quite satisfying.

Tempest- dropped this early on. Did not scratch the freelancer itch like I hoped it would. The world just felt too small.

Rebel Galaxy outlaw - similarly, made it medium into it but it just wasn’t enough of a sandbox to hit what I loved about freelancer.

Avorion- breaking from this for now, but it was a very fun sandbox space game. Ship building was surprisingly intuitive, and the addition of multiplayer has given it really good legs.

tildes fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 7, 2022